• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube: "Ad blockers are not allowed on YouTube". Bad news

Brigandier

The amount of ads on YT now is disgraceful... I use the app on my TV a lot and the ads are so unnecessary, I see them that much that I will never ever use Tui holidays or eat a Muller yoghurt ever again, And I fucking hate Jess Glynne more than ever after seeing that stupid Jet2.com advert about 16 thousand times, will never use them now.

nkarafo

My issue isn't the popup, there should be a custom Ublock filter around that can hide it. My issue is that Youtube now knows when an account uses an ad blocker and they can ban it.

Google allows you to backup your stuff though (surprisingly). You can download your subs, playlists, favorites, etc, in the form of local files in your computer. You can even use some of them in other applications (like FreeTube) to have a similar experience with Youtube when using them, but without an account. Theoretically, you could create a new Youtube account and upload these files to that but i haven't tested it and i'm not sure if it's indeed possible. Either way, it's a good time to backup those files if you have a "rich" account.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
Gimme all the ads you can give you greedy fucks.I still aint paying for your garbage premium shit.
This is the mentallity to have. Seeing GAF users fall for Google’s disgusting tactics pisses me off. Fuck is wrong you that you have to fall for their greedy hands?

They are already making a bunch of money in your name and you give them more? Effing sheep man….

Stop watching too much YT and do something else with your time.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
So I asked Google's Bard, how many people use ad blockers and this is the answer.
Take note of the last sentence. Maybe Alphabet should take it's own advise.

According to Backlinko, 42.7% of internet users worldwide (16-64 years old) use ad blocking tools at least once a month. This means that over 1.5 billion people are using ad blockers. Ad blocking is most common in emerging markets, with Vietnam, China, Indonesia, South Africa, and Taiwan having the highest ad blocking rates.

In the United States, 27% of internet users block ads. This is slightly lower than the worldwide average, but it is still a significant number of people.

Ad blocking is also becoming more common on mobile devices. In 2022, 38% of global smartphone users used ad blockers. This is up from 27% in 2021.

There are a number of reasons why people use ad blockers. The most common reason is that they find ads to be annoying or intrusive. Other reasons include concerns about privacy and security, and the desire to improve website loading times.

The rise of ad blocking is a challenge for the advertising industry. However, it is also an opportunity for publishers and advertisers to create more engaging and less intrusive ad experiences.

Spyxos

Is this new? Youtube 4k looked always like 1080p to me, so 1080p is more like 720p now?

TFztuaE.png

Last edited:

The Stig

So I asked Google's Bard, how many people use ad blockers and this is the answer.
Take note of the last sentence. Maybe Alphabet should take it's own advise.
we recognize that this allows people to make better content but we dont care

oh snap now they got a timer on the X to close the pop up lol. you have to wait a few seconds for the X to pop up. you know what there end game is gonna be..

Sorcerer

I have Malwarebytes Browser Guard turned off for Youtube and am still being asked to stop blocking ads. I guess it does show how far Google will dig in to figure out what's going on inside your computer even if it has no direct effect on them personally.

Last edited:

nkarafo

What if, instead of huge servers, videos were shared in a peer to peer fashion, like torrents? But instead of simply downloading them you could also stream them?

This would eliminate the need for huge server farms and control would be at the hands of the users.

Sure, the less popular videos would be slower since less people would have them but less people would view them as well so it balances out?

Also, no payment for content creators this way but there's always patreon for that.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
As a regular person who just wants to consume the content and not think about the politics, I've gladly paid for you too for going on a few years now I think. Last year I just paid for a full year. I got tired of paying the monthly and saw that I saved a little bit more on the yearly. I do get those that have been saving some money and trying to use the ad blockers and I'm not against those. But I'm also not against for a company that is providing what basically is a free service, and wanting a little bit just to provide things like less ads. As much as I consume the content on YouTube I think they deserve a little bit of money for that.

Power Pro

As a regular person who just wants to consume the content and not think about the politics, I've gladly paid for you too for going on a few years now I think. Last year I just paid for a full year. I got tired of paying the monthly and saw that I saved a little bit more on the yearly. I do get those that have been saving some money and trying to use the ad blockers and I'm not against those. But I'm also not against for a company that is providing what basically is a free service, and wanting a little bit just to provide things like less ads. As much as I consume the content on YouTube I think they deserve a little bit of money for that.
The thing is, it's never enough for these companies. You could get rid of ad blockers 100%, and get a larger number of people willing to pay for the service instead, but they'll just keep raising prices instead once they know they got people hooked. This upcoming move with amazon prime for example, making people pay more to remove ads for prime videos is such bull shit.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What if, instead of huge servers, videos were shared in a peer to peer fashion, like torrents? But instead of simply downloading them you could also stream them?

This would eliminate the need for huge server farms and control would be at the hands of the users.

Sure, the less popular videos would be slower since less people would have them but less people would view them as well so it balances out?

Also, no payment for content creators this way but there's always patreon for that.
You are describing Peertube, which came out in 2018.

Stuart360

I dont know if i have just been very lucky but about 10 days ago or so i turned off all my adblockers, hit the 'allow Youtube to run ads' button on the pop up, turned Ublock Origin back on, and i have had no ads or pop ups for those 10 days now.
Its almost like Youtube thinks i'm getting ads because i clicked that 'allow ads' button. I'll see if it stays the same over the coming weeks.

KiteGr

I'm using Brave and I can't watch anything.
I've tried freezing my addblock and running tampermonkey scripts. What alse can I do before resulting in changing browser or putting premium (never happening).

Drew1440

Sounds like Odysee
I've tried freezing my addblock and running tampermonkey scripts. What alse can I do before resulting in changing browser or putting premium (never happening).
Toggling brave shields off and on usually works for me.

Eh, I just use premium sub so no ads and we use YT music as well. I find it good value for my family and myself at the end of the day. Now if they'd fix their fucking parental controls around your kids age and permissions that would be something. The idea they give full control to a young teen instead of parent is ludicrous and fraught with variations based on regional/local laws they don't factor at all (hint: they've got it wildly wrong in Aus).

YCoCg

OK, so I use Smart Tube on my TV (which got a great UI update recently) and ReVanced on my phone, now I wasn't bothered by ads on YouTube on PC before but now they've gone crazy with them so this has pushed me to just get that shit blocked because they're getting greedy with it, what's the best plug-in you guys use?

Lambhalf

In OperaGX even if you turn off ads in the browser, youtube still thinks you're blocking it and doesn't show ads still. I don't think this was thought through.

nkarafo

Ublock Origin works but you have to purge the cache and update the filters every day. Not a huge issue, it only takes a few seconds to do.

I don't think the browser itself matters. I use firefox and i still get the pop-up if i don't update the filters.

keraj37

If YT ever puts up a box that tell me ad blockers are not allowed, I will just block the element that tells me that. I actually had that work on a site before. I laughed heartily.

Ublock Origin works but you have to purge the cache and update the filters every day. Not a huge issue, it only takes a few seconds to do.

I don't think the browser itself matters. I use firefox and i still get the pop-up if i don't update the filters.

Just for the time being, in the future google will figure out how to go around your solution.

lem0n

Damn, this blows for people that refuse to get Premium. I am one of the Premium users, only because almost all content I consume is from there. Since I don't pay for Netflix, Hulu, or any TV service, this is my monthly cable bill.

yansolo

i used to get the timed pop up, now it just shows a black screen before a video starts (15 to 30 seconds) so im guessing the ad is playing but i just cant see it. Ill never pay for premium, not because its expensive or anything but out of principal. Youtube has just become another corporate rubbish website, its just as bad as standard television or any other platform now.

In a way im glad its getting worse, i used to spend so much time watching nonsense, now it just pushes me to do more productive things and maybe others will do the same.

Braag

I like how Youtube is now fully committed to the cat and mouse game of preventing people from bypassing ads and people finding new ways to bypass the ads.

Last edited:

Z O N E

If you have multple security extensions/add-ons, remove them. Only have uBlock Origin and disable your browsers shields.

Having multiple adblockers working together is actually worse for uBlock. So, in this case, more = worse.

Also, every day, just purge and update your cache. I've yet to get that pop-up (thankfully), oh and also, stop using Google Chrome.

If you have multple security extensions/add-ons, remove them. Only have uBlock Origin and disable your browsers shields.

Having multiple adblockers working together is actually worse for uBlock. So, in this case, more = worse.

Also, every day, just purge and update your cache. I've yet to get that pop-up (thankfully), oh and also, stop using Google Chrome.
is ublock better than adblock? i use adblock.

peish

It is inevitable once the Fed stops their printing. Low cost of borrowings no more, no subsidised services. More to come. Better grab ya premiums sub and lock in for a few years if possible! 🏳️🏳️

Antwix

Are you using ublock? I run Brave + ublock and have never seen this youtube popup message ever. I've never had to purge/update filters either. It just works.

KiteGr

Are you using ublock? I run Brave + ublock and have never seen this youtube popup message ever. I've never had to purge/update filters either. It just works.
found out it was reacting to my Enhancer for YouTube extension and to Adblock displite having whitelisted it.
I'm just using Braves native adblock now.

Sushi_Combo

Seeing as YT is where I mostly consume videos and with an added music service is kind of a no brainer. Much better value than a lot of those other streaming TV services.

Top Bottom