• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube: "Ad blockers are not allowed on YouTube". Bad news

Pejo

Unsure if this works as I've been using Brave and it's still fine, but in case anyone is having problems:
Step 1: Turn off all browser extensions (which are related to adblocking and/or youtube) and remove (or disable) any ad blockers. After that restart your browser.

Step 2: Install the browser extension ublock origin.

Step 3: Go to ublock settings interface

Step 4: Click on the tab "My Filters"

Step 5: Copy and paste the following code and save the changes.

youtube.com##+js(set,yt.config_.openPopupConfig.supportedPopups.adBlockMessageViewModel, false)

youtube.com##+js(set, Object.prototype.adBlocksFound, 0)

youtube.com##+js(set, ytplayer.config.args.raw_player_response.adPlacements, [])

youtube.com##+js(set, Object.prototype.hasAllowedInstreamAd, true)

Step 6: Restart your browser and enjoy ad free youtube.

Extra notes:

If this doesn't work try the following:

Uninstall ublock and reinstall.Check for interfering extensions (youtube enhancers / adblockers)Empty cache

Skifi28

I don't even mind the concept of ads, I'm all for supporting content creators as well as the platforms. Throw me unskippable ads for 30 seconds when starting the video, fine, but we've reached a point where there's ads every 3 to 4 minutes, that is unwatchable for me. At this point they're not trying to make money from free users, they're just trying to force them to subscribe and I won't accept that. Either make youtube sub only or make the free tier usable. Until then I'll be finding ways to block everything.

TheGrat1

So, you're whining about other people whining ?

Surely you can see the irony in that ?
Oh I am sorry, did I call people's posts "insufferable?" Did I say I need some extension to avoid it? Did it take any significant effort to make that post on this message board where HALF THE FUCKING POINT is commenting on what other people say? The answer to all of this is of course, no. Do not try to equate me calling out first world problems to actually complaining about people complaining. I am mocking the complaints, not complaining about them.

Did you really need that explained to you?

Oh I am sorry, did I call people's posts "insufferable?" Did I say I need some extension to avoid it? Did it take any significant effort to make that post on this message board where HALF THE FUCKING POINT is commenting on what other people say? The answer to all of this is of course, no. Do not try to equate me calling out first world problems to actually complaining about people complaining. I am mocking the complaints, not complaining about them.

Did you really need that explained to you?
Calm. The. Fuck. Down

nkarafo

People literally calling ads on a free website "insufferable." First world fucking problems. I watch youtube with ads all the time, I just skip them. No need to be so sensitive.
season 4 suit GIF

Jsisto

If only there was some kind of relatively inexpensive, premium subscription based service they offered that allowed you to watch all the videos you want without ads. Oh well, maybe one day.

Impotaku

eveyone seems to shit on adblock like it's useless & outdated but it's still working for the most part. Videos load up as normal but you get a blank screen for about 10 seconds as what i'm assuming was supposed to be an ad playing before the vid starts but you never get any video interrupted by an ad after that. I get no warnings from youtube or anything so it's still working for the moment. LOL they can ban my google account i was never stupid enough to have anything important tied to it.

Seems youtube is trying evey trick in the book to make it unwatchable so the weak minded cave in & start paying for it. You can blatantly tell they are going full out to make people cave in.

Paltheos

I'm kinda curious what people are using (browser/device) and how often they're refreshing their browser. I've never had ad issues on Firefox on PC and the only time youtube videos have slowed down on loading for me is when I haven't rebooted the browser for a while for updates. Never gotten an adblock notification on the site either.

Tams

I'm kinda curious what people are using (browser/device) and how often they're refreshing their browser. I've never had ad issues on Firefox on PC and the only time youtube videos have slowed down on loading for me is when I haven't rebooted the browser for a while for updates. Never gotten an adblock notification on the site either.

I think they might be rolling out these blocks and bans selectively.

It would be interesting to see where this is happening. I'm in the UK and I've not noticed any difference (other than the odd option for higher bitrate video for subscribers).

moorecore

Neo Member
As ad-blocking is banned, I've been trying to find chrome extensions to both mute ads and auto-skip but the one's i've found so far aren't reliably working. Anyone have ideas which are working today?

I just checked and it’s $13 CAD monthly for YouTube premium. I cannot fathom paying almost $180 yearly (after tax) to a $1.7 trillion global corporation for this service. This company just announced $77 billion in revenue, and that was with me watching zero ads and paying them nothing. I think they will be fine without me.

They earned 11% more money compared to last year. Why are they so desperate for cash?

Last edited:

Renoir

This block only the main site?
Im blocked on youtube proper, but when a video is embedded it plays just fine.
I also can use revanced on my phone, and smartube on my TV and its working fine as well.
I have waterfox . I tried ublock and clearing cache but still dont on PC work for me.

Last edited:

NoobSmog

This block only the main site?
Im blocked on youtube proper, but when a video is embedded it plays just fine.
I also can use revanced on my phone, and smartube on my TV and its working fine as well.
I have waterfox . I tried ublock and clearing cache but still dont on PC work for me.
Yeah, I don't seem to be getting the video player will be blocked if I open a video in incognito mode. Only problem is it doesn't work on videos where you need to sign in for age verification.

Go_Ly_Dow

I may have figured it out, I have both Adblock and Ublock on Chrome extensions.

For Ublock I went into the filter settings and ticked these options and updated/saved them:

D6HLCax.png

Then for Adblock I had to disable is always for YouTube, otherwise the video wouldn't play.

Upon refreshing the video and other videos I can now watch videos without ads and without the notice again.

Skifi28

For Ublock I went into the filter settings and ticked these options and updated/saved them:

D6HLCax.png

Then for Adblock I had to disable is always for YouTube, otherwise the video wouldn't play.

Upon refreshing the video and other videos I can now watch videos without ads and without the notice again.
That actually seems to work, at least for now. Thanks!

pel1300

D6HLCax.png

This works for me. Nice!

YCoCg

Just noting that Vivaldi also works if you set the Privacy and Security setting to "Black Trackers AND Ads", sometimes you'll get the frozen black screen on some videos but the actual video will play a few seconds after, or you can just refresh the page and have it play straight away.

D6HLCax.png

I tried this and youtube just freeze, can't play the video anymore. Does this still work for you guys?

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I tried this and youtube just freeze, can't play the video anymore. Does this still work for you guys?
I had the issue at first but it fixed after I allowed Adblock to let the ads through on YouTube always. This then for some reason let the video play. But if I have both adblockers working in tandem then the videos won't play.

Spyxos

Gold Member
YouTube is broadening its efforts to crack down on ad blockers. The platform has “launched a global effort” to encourage users to allow ads or try YouTube Premium.

YouTube confirmed that it was disabling videos for users with ad blockers in June, but Lawton described it as only a “small experiment globally” at the time. Now, YouTube has expanded this effort. Over the past several weeks, more users with ad blockers installed have found themselves unable to watch YouTube videos, with a post from Android Authority highlighting the increase in reports.
Lawton maintains that the “use of ad blockers” violates the platform’s terms of service, adding that “ads support a diverse ecosystem of creators globally and allow billions to access their favorite content on YouTube.”

Roxkis_ii

I pay for Premium, but I completely understand using ad blockers. Ads are cancer. Youtube might as well just get rid of their free tier if they're going to spam people with ads to pay the bills.

winjer

Gold Member
I actually watched that, cool guy (Is it you winjer winjer ?)
And I think he is right, this backfiring for google.

I was banned from yt some time ago, and I checked recently, and I can still use my player with ad blocker, so something is going on there.

No, that is not me. I'm not even living in the US.
That is Louis Rossman, he has a channel where he shows how to fix hardware. And he is a major proponent for consumer rights. Well worth watching many of his videos.

And yes, this is probably backfiring for Google. People who never knew about ad blockers, are now hearing a lot about them and how great they are.

Last edited:

nush

Finally got blocked on Firefox.

Still works on a private/incognito tab though.

I just watch on Brave browser as that still works as normal.

E-Cat

Just get one of those YT downloaders from Github and download your YT videos. Yes, I realize the irony, but what I do is bookmark a whole lot of videos from my sub feed, download all at once, and then watch them over the next day. It's some work, yes, but the peace of mind is worth it.

Top Bottom