• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube: "Ad blockers are not allowed on YouTube". Bad news

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It hit me last few days using edge and Adblock.

Anyone know a way to get around it on Edge? Maye a different ad blocker extension that works?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I wouldn't mind it if was an ad at the beginning and you get one every 2 videos.
But they bombard you with 2 ads at the beginning, 2 ads 30 seconds in and repeat.
What's annoying is ads all play perfectly in high quality and the actual thing you trying to watch has problems.
You can't even fast forward without an ad it's stupid.
The only decent thing is they don't interrupt Music Videos, but the most annoying is a music video of some shit artists you've never heard that they're promoting of that you have to sit through just to get to the video to wanted to watch.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
This is really backfiring for google.
Searches for Ublock Origin are on a record high.

EWcSsz4.png

YCoCg

Can still confirm Vivaldi is doing a brilliant job dodging all this nonsense ever since I've put YouTube in the "Block Trackers and Ads" filter. I wasn't even bothered with an ad or two before this but since they went overboard now I see zero ads because I'm blocking too! I can imagine it's the same for many people.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
LMAO, the actual balls on these mega corps...

Also, notice the " to continue delivering great services and features..." line, it's always the same with these corps, "fuck you, pay us for the same exact thing as you did before"...This Shit writes itself
Netflix did it, Sony did it, Microsoft did it , Amazon Prime will also do come 2024 and who knows how many other streaming sites...

6g6nzx7fx4zb1.jpg

Bonus : YouTube's plan backfires, people are installing better ad blockers

Last edited:

Geomancer86

Neo Member
uBlock Origin still works but youtube has already detected it, at least on my side I got an anoying pop up many times telling me to disable it, but they let me dismiss the message, might be because I'm in a third world country and my views aren't worth it, yet.

I think they cannot legally check my cookies/browser/etc to validate if the ads are being played, this is not going to end well for yt, I don't watch on mobile, and will quit if they force ads on desktop, I will get back to torrenting tv shows like 10 years ago.

Unknown?

Still using FreeTube on PC and LibreTube for Android. Glad people are using uBlock more now, it really is the best. I have mine blocking over 2 million domains.

Unknown?

how they can make this without youtube taking them down?
They aren't popular is my guess. YouTube Vanced(which isn't as good as the ones I mentioned) was around a long time until Linus featured it in one of his videos, then it got a lot more downloads and then they took action.

Power Pro

I still have been fine with adblock on google chrome mainly, i'm surprised I haven't gotten any notification, when so many others have.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I have switched to AdNauseam which literally just clicks the ad. Used UBlock before but i got completely knackered on the ads. Even news sites i frequent now peppered me with multiple full time banners.

At this point i honestly don't care anymore. I don't care about the ''But they need the money'' group. The thing is that all these ads never are the targeted audience. I know why, because that means tracking cookies (which i also block). But even with that, its never about something i personally would find interesting.

Like, the ads are literally about Tena Ladies and girl perfume. With all these AI models in place, surely one could come up with an algorithim to display an ad that actually makes sense. Because to me that's half the bullshit: The ads never make sense to me.

The other half is that they are:
  • Way too frequent
  • Way too loud
  • Way too difficult to just disable, encouraging misclicks (Seriously the inventor for this mechanism can do one)
Want ads? Make them better, make them personal and make them less frequent. But those are all things that require a Megacorp like YouTube to invest into something and that takes a bit away from all the earning they do with the same ads.

Since YouTube's message is to not treat me like a human being, i am not going to treat YouTube as more than just a tile in my space.

Geomancer86

Neo Member
The worst offenders, for me, are the unregulated political ads, they can spend without limits in my country, because the law is for older media only.

I'm wondering if I need to adjust my settings in UBlock. I recently updated it to match what someone posted here a couple weeks ago and it was working fine, but tonight whenever I click on a video it doesn't play. I don't get a pop up saying I'm blocked from watching videos.

Unknown?

A nice website that let's uBlock Origin filter out certain websites from search results. I personally have it remove all results for Wikipedia. I also used the zapper to remove those shitty AI generated answers at the top.

Codes 208

My firefix with Ublock origin finally got caught, now im getting the annoying “you have three video plays left”

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Chrome with 4 different blockers, including one that prompts if a site doesn't have SSL Encryption. If they ever get me (they haven't yet) It will spell the beginning of the end of my time on Youtube. I couldn't bare browsing the site with ads on. I don't care how it supports Youtube, especially when those cunts demonetize for the most inane shit. Bastards. Lot of people don't even deserve it.

Go_Ly_Dow

I have switched to AdNauseam which literally just clicks the ad. Used UBlock before but i got completely knackered on the ads. Even news sites i frequent now peppered me with multiple full time banners.

At this point i honestly don't care anymore. I don't care about the ''But they need the money'' group. The thing is that all these ads never are the targeted audience. I know why, because that means tracking cookies (which i also block). But even with that, its never about something i personally would find interesting.

Like, the ads are literally about Tena Ladies and girl perfume. With all these AI models in place, surely one could come up with an algorithim to display an ad that actually makes sense. Because to me that's half the bullshit: The ads never make sense to me.

The other half is that they are:
  • Way too frequent
  • Way too loud
  • Way too difficult to just disable, encouraging misclicks (Seriously the inventor for this mechanism can do one)
Want ads? Make them better, make them personal and make them less frequent. But those are all things that require a Megacorp like YouTube to invest into something and that takes a bit away from all the earning they do with the same ads.

Since YouTube's message is to not treat me like a human being, i am not going to treat YouTube as more than just a tile in my space.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've just implemented AdNauseam after YouTube seemingly found a way around my Adblock + Ublock hack but this now seems to be doing the trick. Not sure if these are the best settings, but its working.

T5yX9jy.png

nkarafo

Ublock works. If you get hit go to it's filter list settings, press "purge all caches" and after that "update now". Restart the browser.

You might need to do this every other day, until Youtube stops fighting it probably. It only takes 15 seconds.

GymWolf

Stop using Chrome. That thing is made by Google and is full of spyware and bloatware.

If you must use a Chromium based browser, ty something like Thorium. Or Brave.
Or even consider using Firefox.
I'm too used to chrome after more than a decade, i know it's not optimal but i like it.

Go_Ly_Dow

Thanks for the suggestion, I've just implemented AdNauseam after YouTube seemingly found a way around my Adblock + Ublock hack but this now seems to be doing the trick. Not sure if these are the best settings, but its working.

T5yX9jy.png
No longer works, being caught FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Nvm: disabled adnauseum, cleared my Ublock filters and now I'm free from tyranny once more. May the peace last for a lifetime.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

YouTube can easily get around this with another pop-up of the sort that the EU has already inflicted on all of us, stating their TOS and demanding consent to look for adblock software. Look, I get it, internet ads are cancer and there's a natural incentive to get around it, but the free ride is ending, not just on YT but everything, we are moving back to a world where we pay for the services we consume.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
I just found out that if you embedded youtube vids it doesn't bother you about the adblocker.
Maybe we can just start a "youtube watching" thread where anyone can post the embedded video they wants to watch and delete the post after ?

but the free ride is ending, not just on YT but everything, we are moving back to a world where we pay for the services we consume.
It is not a free ride, they sell any info they have on their customers already and will keep doing it. It's just more money in their pocket, which are already full to the brim.

Go_Ly_Dow

I just found out that if you embedded youtube vids it doesn't bother you about the adblocker.
Maybe we can just start a "youtube watching" thread where anyone can post the embedded video they wants to watch and delete the post after ?

It is not a free ride, they sell any info they have on their customers already and will keep doing it. It's just more money in their pocket, which are already full to the brim.
Not a bad shout 👀

Shtef

It probably depends on the region but i still haven't seen an ad or any warning and i am using firefox with ublock origin. Also smart tube next works perfectly on android tv.

Last edited:
Top Bottom