• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube: "Ad blockers are not allowed on YouTube". Bad news

Go into the settings, click 1 and then 2. Then refresh the vid. (y)
QoeLnIF.png
hmm for some reason its still blocked for me. does it matter if its ublock or ublock origin?

JayK47

Youtube for me is barely usable anymore. I turn my watch history off and my home screen is now just a warning to turn it back on. No videos. I guess considering how shit their suggested videos are, maybe that is for the best.

If YouTube premium was not $14 a month and had some actual value, maybe this whole shit show wouldn't be so bad. No way am I paying that much for so little.

-Zelda-

Banned
I'd rather rock the one that Kicks the Llamas Ass!
Winamp!
I am not familiar with that one. Since they started slaming me with ads all over youtube and all kinds of pop ups demanding money. I basically noped out of youtube all together. I check my subs and if they upload, I download it to my computer and then add the videos to my 4 cellphones and two tablets in case i lose power one day for whatever reason. Fuck youtube.

Drew1440

Keeps pausing vids 30 seconds after I turn the screen off, though :(
Check the power saving settings for your phone, for Android there is normally an option to limit standby apps running in background. Usually this works for my Sony Xperia 1 IV and allows Brave to run in background when the screen is off.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Youtube for me is barely usable anymore. I turn my watch history off and my home screen is now just a warning to turn it back on. No videos. I guess considering how shit their suggested videos are, maybe that is for the best.
Turn it back on, click one video, then pause/stop it again and it will go back to normal. The annoying check just needs the history to not be empty, that's all.

sono

Gold Member
I have just come across duckduckgo webbrowser. If you go to youtube using that you can watch videos using its built in alternative player. no ads.. works every time

"Our free web browser is a privacy-protecting alternative to Google Chrome and other browsers. It comes with seamless privacy protection built-in, including our search engine that replaces Google and doesn’t track your search history, plus tracker blocking, increased encryption, Email Protection, and more. The DuckDuckGo browser is available for Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android ."

I use firefox and duckduckgo on android with AdGuard and Ghostery minus the adblock from ghostery. Works just as good as before YouTube tried to fuck everyone who isn't dumb enough to pay for premium.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Revanced on mobile (Android), MS Edge with Ublock origins (or "Ad skipper") still work like a charm.

On PS5 and my Tv though...i'm starting to get 40+ seconds ads ffs, it' friggin' insufferable...

This is Ad skipper btw, found it 2 weeks ago on Reddit (dev posted it there), downside is, while starting watching a video it will stop for half a second, the ad will load (for half a second) and then it resumes normally (basically you're still giving money to Youtube since the ad counts as "watched").
People on the reddit thread said this is a better way/method since youtube can't flag your browser compared to when you're using a browser + ad blocker combo, whether this is true or not i don't know.

Cheers

Last edited:

nkarafo

This is Ad skipper btw, found it 2 weeks ago on Reddit (dev posted it there), downside is, while starting watching a video it will stop for half a second, the ad will load (for half a second) and then it resumes normally (basically you're still giving money to Youtube since the ad counts as "watched").
People on the reddit thread said this is a better way/method since youtube can't flag your browser compared to when you're using a browser + ad blocker combo, whether this is true or not i don't know.

Cheers
If this catches on, Youtube will simply make their ads unskippable or something. Not sure is some ads are already like that.

I wouldn't know though since i use Ublock all this time.

Doczu

I wonder if all this adblocker drama with youtube, reduced their viewership numbers.
I know i moved to watching a few vids i realy want to on my brave browser per day. No more free scrolling on yt to find some time waster (during work as a background vid). So they get less from me.

I hadn't noticed that, the ads are getting longer every week until i can skip them.

Ok, so it may be subjective then

Still winning the adblock wars against YouTube for the moment.

The ads are one thing but... like.. what about this rounded corners bullshit they sprung on us a while back? Not a peep from anyone in this thread on that subject?

NeoGAF, you are not my tribe

Black And White Rock GIF

Drew1440

The ads are one thing but... like.. what about this rounded corners bullshit they sprung on us a while back? Not a peep from anyone in this thread on that subject?

Black And White Rock GIF

That's everywhere now, even on Microsoft Edge on normal websites. Thankfully Vivaldi and brave are not yet affected.

linko9

Black And White Rock GIF

using this on firefox, hilariously removes all rounding, including on the loading animation

Ribi

Black And White Rock GIF
you mfer i didnt know this was a think and NOW I CANT LOOK AT IT THE SAME

Go_Ly_Dow

Bastards, the pop up is back and this time the purge all caches trick on Ublock Origin isn't getting rid of it. ;(

Edit now following this to bypass it. Not finished the vid yet.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I never noticed any adblock block before, but I did notice a lot of buffering today which almost never happens and then saw this

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Noticed today that my Youtube went back to normal, this coming from someone (me<----) that never changed anything, but uses 3 different adblockers.
This morning, quality/speed were back to pre-firstworldproblem-levels.

Kabelly

Noticed today that my Youtube went back to normal, this coming from someone (me<----) that never changed anything, but uses 3 different adblockers.
This morning, quality/speed were back to pre-firstworldproblem-levels.
saw some people posting that it was just a minor issue from adblock themselves and had nothing to do with youtube.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
saw some people posting that it was just a minor issue from adblock themselves and had nothing to do with youtube.

Well, minor? Not even close. I didn't complain, but Youtube was almost unusable. Lol. I just didn't care. If I have to stop watching random shit, no problem. I still have my books.

LordOfChaos

Is it happening now? Mine always worked but today Ublock Origin has missed blocking a bunch of ads in youtube

Edit: Ublock and Ablock both seem ineffective on youtube on Chrome now, but Edge is still going.

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

Smart tube on my nvidia shield

Duck duck go browser on my pc

I use these to bypass the ads.

Fucking ridiculous that 90 seconds into a video you get hit with ads.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
OK lads, is there a way to block the ads on a LG OLED running WebOS ?
It's literally unwatchable , I got presented with a...45 seconds ad just yesterday.

Also, wanna watch a video ? here's 2 ads back to back, wanna skip/FF 2-3 minutes on the same video? Here's another couple.of ads, shit's just frustrating, they rendered the whole thing unusable ffs.

I took a look online but it's mostly trash/spam sites mentioning "update your webOS TV" 🤣🤣

Thanks

Last edited:
It's literally unwatchable , I got presented with a...45 seconds ad just yesterday.

Also, wanna watch a video ? here's 2 ads back to back, wanna skip/FF 2-3 minutes on the same video? Here's another couple.of ads, shit's just frustrating, they rendered the whole thing unusable ffs.

I took a look online but it's mostly trash/spam sites mentioning "update your webOS TV" 🤣🤣

Thanks
I use Apple TV and it is the same. Intolerable. What I do is load the video on my iPad with Adblock, and airplay to my Apple TV. I don’t have my LG wifi enabled, but could you do something similar directly to the TV?

winjer

Gold Member

Thanks

Probably your best option is to use Pi-Hole.
This will block ads for your entire network. So for every TV, console, PC, phones, etc.
It won't void the warranty on our TV, because you are not installing modified roms and hacks.
And if you buy a new Tv inthe future, it will still work.
The problem is that it has some cost, and it requires a bit of knowledge. But there are plenty of video guides that make it much easier.

Top Bottom