• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You've heard of Elf on the Shelf, now get ready for..."

1DtyyiT.png

My first exposure to this meme was on Facebook with a picture of a trigger pasted on a picture of a person of color... ... Dunno how I feel about this meme...

jstripes

Banned
This meme is a swing and a miss for me

Ok, time to analyze the X on the Y memes.

The ones that are simple rhyming are zero-effort garbage and not funny. You found something ordinary that rhymes with your favourite character. Yay. ��

Ones like Ann Coulter aren't effective because they're just basic name-calling. There's no irony or absurdity, and nothing controversial or novel in them, because they're already long established as terrible people. Also, it's tasteless to call a woman a c***.

Now, the PewDiePie one, that's effective. There's a controversy going on at this moment in time, and a substantial amount of people are still in denial about what kind of person he is. This informs them with grim reality. Plus, Yahtzee is a funny word on its own, but when the wholesome family game is juxtaposed with the modern definition of evil, well, that's just a whole other level of comedy there.

The Photobucket on Nantucket one works because, even though it's just a simple rhyme, it chastises someone in this thread for their inability to use a proper image host. There's context.

This is way below dad jokes tbh

The joke is literally "bat rhymes with cat"

And that's it.

That's the joke.

The joke is that sometimes words rhyme.
The joke is obvious word to describe the thing on top vs not-obvious word to describe thing on bottom

The a-ha moment when you make the connection due to the rhyming scheme is what can make the joke good

Not sure why this needs to be explained

The joke is obvious word to describe the thing on top vs not-obvious word to describe thing on bottom

The a-ha moment when you make the connection due to the rhyming scheme is what can make the joke good

yeah, the only value is making the rhyme connection. something it seems like people in this thread arent very good at. haha.

optimiss

Why is this shitpost of a thread allowed to be posted? I got perm junior member status for posting a thread with way more discussion merit. Guess whoever was moderating that day doesn't approve of posts that appeal the the minority Neogaf female members.

ErichWK

My only problem with this meme is it takes me like eighteen billion years to figure out what the hell I'm looking at. And by that point I'm too tired to laugh. :(

Why is this shitpost of a thread allowed to be posted? I got perm junior member status for posting a thread with way more discussion merit. Guess whoever was moderating that day doesn't approve of posts that appeal the the minority Neogaf female members.

giphy.gif

My only problem with this meme is it takes me like eighteen billion years to figure out what the hell I'm looking at. And by that point I'm too tired to laugh. :(

Other than Ash in the Trash and Yahtzee on the Nazi, all of these are awful.

They need to be simple enough that the humor doesn't get lost in the time to discover the punchline, I agree.

Servbot24

Banned

Some of them are like that. Even those are not really clever - wow you just called someone a dick with a rhyme, well done. And some are literally just "here's a goomba on a roomba".

Top Bottom