• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys for Vita/PS4 Announced

It's a port and it shows, but at least they pushed PSV to the point polycount for character models is tolerable.

hehe, yeah it definitely looks like Celceta with antialiasing :D
ys5.jpg

Apath

30 fps with noticeable dips. Ys games should always be 60.
Ah, that's why I haven't noticed. Not too far in the game for frame rate to affect things for me.

Still, this is great news to hear. I plan on getting rid of my Vita soon, so knowing I won't be missing out on future Ys titles makes that a lot more bearable.

Looking forward to this one!

If it comes westward I'd pick it up for Vita since these games appeal to me on a more handheld level.

Finalow

to be honest from that trailer it didn't look good at all. ported from vita version?

but I don't care, in Falcom I trust, new Ys on PS4? Fuck yes.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Looking forward to this one!

If it comes westward I'd pick it up for Vita since these games appeal to me on a more handheld level.

If? Ys may as well be XSEED's flagship license at this point. As long as they are chummy with Falcom I can't imagine an Ys game not getting localized.

Why are so many people complaining about the graphics? The quality of the graphics has nothing to do with the fact that they are downporting the game to Vita during development. This isn't a AAA title, Falcom isn't big enough to make those; it's a small company making a couple games at a time. Only AAA titles will come close to making full use of the PS4 power, because it takes a lot of time (thus, money) to make art that detailed. Most decent PS4 games will look like non-AAA PS3 games with a few extra effects.

As long as they can lock the framerate down, this'll be awesome. And I'm really happy this is coming to PS4, it took me 6 months to play through Celceta, because I just don't play games on handheld devices hardly at all.

Blue-kun

I've got a Vita and I'm happy I'll be able to play it there if all else fails, but this being Ys my actual wish is being able to save for a PS4 right now just so I can play the best version of the game whenever it comes out.

Some time left until 2016, we'll see what I can do. Absolutely crazy with joy with the news, though. My only real wish now is that hopefully they'll put as much money on the music as they're doing for the graphics -- which look great for an Ys title. Come on, Falcom, let's get another soundtrack with instrumentation on par with Chronicles/Felghana's! Celceta was a step on the right direction in this regard, so hopefully it's happening. At the very least, they're off to a good start, as I love the music in the trailer. Hiramatsu's guitar sounds as good as ever.

Also -- looking at the trailer, Adol not wearing his typical armor makes me wonder if this will be a new numbered entry in the series. Not evidence of anything, but it's the third game of the Seven series, and if they want to follow a similar pattern to how it was with their past engine, this could very well be a "spin-off" adventure. Ys 6 (number) -> Felghana (remake) -> Origin (spin-off) and Ys Seven (number) -> Celceta (remake) -> New Ys (spin-off). Considering how he looks (to me, anyway) slightly younger and Dogi isn't around, plus the proximity of Greek to Xandria, it'd make sense if this took place between Felghana and Ys6, where Adol was also separated from his long-time partner for a while. Food for thought, lol.

IzzyF3

Ps3/vita port machine is already a lot better situation than what ps3 had during it's early days.

I agree. It's not like these aren't quality games either since Japan takes portable games very seriously. If PS4 gets more console games from Japan in the form Vita ports/remasters (or in the case of FF Type 0, PSP remaster), then let them flow in.

I bet Japan more than any other gaming country would love cross save in more of their games. Since I commute to work via bus now, I'd love this trend too.

DMiz

Looks great. Definitely picking it up if XSEED manages to release the game over here.

That being said, what was wrong with Adol's original designs...? The new outfit is nice, but there really isn't enough red on there except for the mini-vest... He's gotta be donning something decked out in crimson!

hurzelein

Will definitly buy on Vita. Eagerly waiting for my Celceta copy from playasia.

Felghana was one of the best purchases I did it in recent years, what a great game.

I'm psyched, and I'm glad to see the jump is back, but I really prefer the Ys 6/Felghana/Origins style to Ys7/Celceta, and it still looks an awful lot like the latter.

Very cool that this is coming to be PS4.

I was hoping for a new "Style" of Ys, or a solo adventure, instead of another Ys Seven/Celeceta Party-based game, but I'll take what I can get. Ys is still Ys at the end of the day.

Yuterald

Getting an Ark of Napishtim vibe from the setting in that trailer. Down for the PS4 version. Get on that shit XSEED.

teiresias

I'm always up for more Ys (even if I'm honestly getting a bit tired of the modern "party" format of the games - though Celceta was leagues better than 7). Not sure which platform I'll get it for though. Cross PS4/Vita sounds nearly as discouraging as cross-gen to be frank.

Jay Sosa

Just watched the trailer. Not so excited anymore. Was hoping it looks like AON and the other Vita Ys Games, not like Monster Hunter or other generic ARPG. Oh well, as long as it's fun.

YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH!

despite it's bit meh beginning, ended up loving Ys IV.

So happy to get another title as it's honestly one of the last jPRGS I play (^______^)

I love waking up to stuff like this. Ys, the ideal action RPG. A game where red-headed swordsmen are as free as the wind, a series where rocking JDK tunes blow through the ears of all men. Ys, is coming to PS4 and it's going to be awesome!

StuBurns

Banned
I'm surprised at all the positive responses to the visuals, I think it looks like an Xbox game, but whatever, I've been meaning to try the series for years, but this seems like the right time, presuming it comes over.

impact

Banned
No, it's not a port of MoC.
Yes, it is an actual new Ys game.

Thank the heavens. MoC was by far the worst Ys I've ever played, and with PS4 being included we don't have to hurt our eyes looking at their Vita Vomit @ sub-30fps.

They're never going to make another solo Ys again, are they?

I guess this new casualized RPG style sells more compared to Oath or Origin? It really sucks either way :[

I'm surprised at all the positive responses to the visuals, I think it looks like an Xbox game, but whatever, I've been meaning to try the series for years, but this seems like the right time, presuming it comes over.

It's because Ys is not about graphics, and this game will also come to Vita.

I don't care if the game looks like a ps3 game, just give me 60fps.

Top Bottom