• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Origin (PC/Steam) |OT|

Reknoc

Hugo done last night. Last boss was even easier, didn't take any damage until his third form where I ended up getting hit by his two big attacks once.

Started as The Claw (ooooo), seems cool so far. A mix of Yunica (melee) and Hugo (fast attacks, low damage) with new skills and a cooler boost.

edit: best part of going through again with new characters is getting to hear Flooded Prison's music again.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished Claw's ending spoilers ahoy!

Oh wow, I should've seen that true final boss coming. Took me about 3 tries to finally bring him down was pretty fun. I'm so glad Epona got to survive in this ending and from what I gathered by the ending screen the game continues on in some of the older games. I wish some of those games could get remakes ala Oath in Felghana, I'm pretty interested to see how the canonical story goes.

Now I've finished up Ys: Origin and Ys: Oath in Felghana. I'm tempted to finish up Yunica's path but I'm pretty sure I get the basis of her story from the other playthroughs. Now it's time to wait for another Ys game to get ported to Steam.

There are no games from Ys Origin to Ys 1, it's a ~700 year gap in the timeline where nothing in particular happens in that region of the world. So most of the characters from Origin are long dead by the time the next game rolls around, chronologically. (Some obvious exceptions, i.e., Feena and Reah).

I'd say don't hope for a remake of 1&2 anytime soon, but Ys 1 is one of the most remade/ported games ever. So I guess anything is possible. An HD version in the vein of Chronicles/Complete would be pretty awesome, but I think that's hoping for too much since Falcom doesn't do PC games anymore. Someone else would need to fund it+license it+develop it.

Taruranto

Oh, fuck this game.

It keep crashing on me, but with a bit of luck i managed to avoid it. But crashing after i beat the final boss? Fuck it.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Is it just me or the
desert
stage has some big difficulty spike?

Yeah, fuck those little roaches that scuttle on the ground. I try tornadoing them (as Yunica) but even then I still take damage... Beat the
desert
and am up to the part immediately after that, but still that part was rough.

Taruranto

Oh god, Hugo's scenes are so much better than Yunica that it's even a joke.

Too bad his gameplay seem pretty meh so far, his Wind Magic seems completely boring.

djtiesto

Gonna finish Yunica's quest tonite, then it's on to Hugo's... hopefully I won't be burned out enough by the end of his because I want to do all 3 quests.

djtiesto

Oh man, starting from scratch as Hugo is soooo slow compared to Yunica after unlocking the dash ability and the "double max speed" skill. Reminds me of when you take a 140bpm epic trance song and pitch it down -8. Still, I love this game too much so I'm gonna stick with playing Hugo, the game is so addicting.

Taruranto

Finished Hugo.

The plot was so much, much better than Yunica's story, whoever wrote his dialogs needs to get on board for the next YS, very little exposition and much more to the point.

Though i liked Yunica's gameplay better, Hugo's magics were kinda meh and Yunica had more jumping around and stuff. Feel like the game was initially designed for Yunica and later adapted to Hugo.

I'm going to take a break now, the repetitions are starting to get me. Falcom really went with the lazy route with this, uh? :p

Edgeward

Man, I just always scrapping by to beat the bosses in this game lol. Just beat Grim Mantis. Fuck that guy.

I love using Yunica's Phoenix Blade, just spam that magic bird and lay waste to foes.

djtiesto

Blew through The Claw's quest, now up to the final savepoint. Gonna grind out the last of the upgrades, beat it later this week and then I'm done with it. It's rare that I find a game that I want to play through 3x in a row without getting bored. This is definitely in top 3 of all Ys games for me, I like it even more than Felghana :O

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Depends on whether or not Steam Cloud is enabled. If you have it disabled, Falcom games (at least all the ones I have) save to:

[user]\AppData\Roaming\FALCOM\

Then whatever the subdirectory for the game is.

With Steam Cloud enabled, it's somewhere else. I'd have to check.

Edit: But I won't bother checking since you found it.

Negator

Yeah, I ended up disabling the Steam Cloud saves because of the horror stories of people possibly losing their save over it. Using Windows 7

I found it in C:\Users\xxxxxx\Saved Games

The confusion was probably because My Documents had a Saved Games folder as well, and it had nothing in it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I actually have it in both, I wonder what's up with that. I guess the Steam version uses a different save location than the Japanese version.

Edgeward

Beat Yunica's story. I never grinded but somehow I leveled and upgraded enough that the last two bosses were cakewalks as they really couldn't put much of a dent in me that dodging wasn't that important. Except the final final boss. Holy shit is he cheap.

I played a couple minutes of Hugo but not really digging his playstyle. I also can't seem to figure out how to do his power attack on a controller.

I do miss having an "overworld" and seeing towns and people but the dungeon layouts were pretty good.

I missed so many Roos though. I'm not sure how. D= The steam achievement said I only found 6 of 18. Unless they meant across all 3 characters.

creid

Started this the other day, about midway through Yunica's story now. Will I miss much story-wise by skipping Hugo and going right to the 3rd character's playthrough?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Started this the other day, about midway through Yunica's story now. Will I miss much story-wise by skipping Hugo and going right to the 3rd character's playthrough?

Kind of. I don't really like that they changed the unlock to beating the game with one character for the very reason you're mentioning.

Hugo's story ties in a lot more with the last one (which is the canon one). You don't have to play it first, but his story will allow some of the things that happen in the third one to make more sense. That character never even gets introduced in Yunica's story as far as I remember.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Just finished the game with Hugo. The game is really much, much easier with him. Played with both Yunica and him on Normal and it felt like a difference of two difficulty levels. It's just too easy to kill enemies from far away with his attack and on top of that you get a shield, so you're basically invincible most of the time.
Still, after a bit of adjusment it felt great playing him. But I think Yunica plays better.

Now, I first have to finally finish Ys 2 and then I can move on to the third character in Origin.

Cystm

This is super late, but I really love the OP. So clean and containing all pertinent info.

Picking this up right now on sale for 5.

Torraz

Is it possible to retroactively change the difficulty setting? If not what is the recommended setting for a newbie to the series? I have played half of felghana and finished Ys Seven.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Is it possible to retroactively change the difficulty setting? If not what is the recommended setting for a newbie to the series? I have played half of felghana and finished Ys Seven.

Can't change the difficulty once you start.

I guess normal would be the one to go with. Personally, I find Origin to be relatively easy. I'd say Origin Hard = Oath Normal. But a lot of people disagree with me on that and find Origin just as hard as Oath, if not harder.

Torraz

Can't change the difficulty once you start.

I guess normal would be the one to go with. Personally, I find Origin to be relatively easy. I'd say Origin Hard = Oath Normal. But a lot of people disagree with me on that and find Origin just as hard as Oath, if not harder.

Hmm, okay. Thanks for the input.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone experienced stutter / jitter issues with this game? Seems like every few seconds the game skips a couple of frames.

Apparently using the "Disable High Resolution Performance Counters" option is supposed to fix that, but I never had that problem so I couldn't say for sure.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I played this game in 3 "sittings". When it first came out I played until little past the water level. Then like a month and a half after that, I played until right past the centipede boss. Last night I came back to the game and beat it. What nice little games these Ys games are. This year I beat both OiF and Origins and would totally get AoN if it came out on Steam.

Story-wise I preferred Origin and loved Yunica as a protagonist (maybe it's because I don't like silent protagonists). If I ever had a little daughter I would totally give her this to play. Not many games have females in a competent "melee" role, and coming from a Japanese company this was totally unexpected. I really liked this aspect.

Also, the powers felt much more rewarding IMO. Maybe I'll replay it as one of the other 2 characters.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I just beat the sand area boss and proceeded to the next area and have explored everywhere I could but I'm clearly missing something because I've gone through one locked door by finding a red (amber?) key but then I meet another locked door and I just cannot find the key for it. I've found optional stuff like the Cleria and I think a crystal for one of the skills but not the key. Can someone direct me where to go to find it, either by taking the locked door as the starting point or the last save point (which is sadly in the previous area before or after the boss iirc, I haven't even found a save statue here yet)?

I'm playing with the girl knight if that makes a difference. I've started a game with the mage as well but haven't progressed.

Also, the game's great, I initially feared it wouldn't be as good as Oath or Seven since it has no cities and outdoors and what not but it's basically a 3D Castlevania (but actually good) this way and still pretty awesome and better than Seven like Oath.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I just beat the sand area boss and proceeded to the next area and have explored everywhere I could but I'm clearly missing something because I've gone through one locked door by finding a red (amber?) key but then I meet another locked door and I just cannot find the key for it. I've found optional stuff like the Cleria and I think a crystal for one of the skills but not the key. Can someone direct me where to go to find it, either by taking the locked door as the starting point or the last save point (which is sadly in the previous area before or after the boss iirc, I haven't even found a save statue here yet)?

I'm playing with the girl knight if that makes a difference. I've started a game with the mage as well but haven't progressed.

Also, the game's great, I initially feared it wouldn't be as good as Oath or Seven since it has no cities and outdoors and what not but it's basically a 3D Castlevania (but actually good) this way and still pretty awesome and better than Seven like Oath.
You probably need to meet your mates. If you go to the left of one of the saving angels, you'll meet all the other knights and a cutscene will follow. After that if you're still stuck PM me and I'll tell you how to proceed, in order to keep the thread spoiler-free.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Just finished it. Awesome little game, like Oath. Doubt I'll replay it with the wizard and the unlocked character soon but I played the start with them both and they're pretty different and sweet. The latter seems to more significantly change the story as well, unless it plot twists into the same resolve in the end, there's a hint of that possibility at the first boss maybe.

Is that last PS2 Ys we haven't gotten on Steam yet as good? I see on youtube that it has 3D characters, I hope the controls aren't affected, Seven wasn't as good as these two in my opinion, but perhaps it wasn't the 3D at fault.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished it. Awesome little game, like Oath. Doubt I'll replay it with the other and the unlocked character soon but I played the start with them and they're pretty sweet. The latter seems to more significantly change the story as well, unless it plot twists into the same resolve in the end.

Is that last PS2 Ys we haven't gotten as good? I see it has 3D characters, I hope controls aren't affected, Seven wasn't as good as these two in my opinion, but perhaps it wasn't the 3D at fault.

Ark of Napishtim was the first game to use that engine (the same one Oath and Origin use) and it's not really as good as either of the games that used it afterward (but still worth playing). It does play similar, but with 3 elemental swords that all feel different (think Yunica's slow, heavy sword vs the faster axe).

Both English versions - PS2 and PSP - were actually made by Konami and not Falcom. The PSP version is a pretty bad port as a whole and should be avoided, and the PS2 version replaced the 2D sprites with 3D models and added some content and codes that do a variety of things. We'll probably get the original PC version from XSEED one of these days, but if you want to play it sooner the PS2 version is definitely the way to go (or the fan translation for PC).

And Origin's story plays out at least slightly differently with all three characters, Yunica's is definitely the weakest of the three. You can basically think of it as each character recalling the events from their own perspective, and their stories don't all quite fit together. The third character's story is the "most canon," but events from Hugo's play into it a lot. And Yunica's is just kind of there.

Riposte

I'm getting mixed results...

This was this composed by Falcom Sound Team J.D.K. right? I don't know why it would be otherwise, but there are some weird blanks in the music databases I'm looking at.

Tain

I feel myself nearing the end of Oath in Felghana (which I'm finding to be a surprisingly beefy game on Hard) and find myself wishing I had chosen this first if only because this is eligible for 2012 GOTY voting. Assuming this is around as good as Felghana, that is.

The mage certainly takes some getting used to, but I find Yunica to be much easier to fight with.

Do the armors change at all? Never noticed a difference if they were supposed to.

Lain

Finally beat the game (with Yunica on normal).
What a blast. The Ys games are light on story, yet they can still be pretty nice and not a bother, though I feel like Falcom goes a bit too much for the dramatic.

I'd rank the game as my second favorite Ys game, just behind Ys 7.

Just started this... how do you do the 'lunge attack' for the girl? I don't get the instructions.

Using a 360 pad.

Push the stick to move, release the stick, as it snaps back to center (or even a bit later) hit the attack button. If that's the move you're talking about, otherwise I'm thinking something different.

The uselessness of the move is covered by Sinatar. You really only use it to pretend you're awesome.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I see. Does it matter which character I play as first? The girl talks too much and is too similar to adol and I was just playing oath.

I played as Hugo just to get a different from Adol experience (as I had recently finished Oath at the time) and he's a blast to play.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
No, doesn't really matter if you play as Yunica or Hugo first, just so long as you play as Claw last.

I'd say you could play him right after Hugo and skip Yunica. Wouldn't really recommend it, but it would be a heck of a lot better than going Yunica->Claw since he doesn't even play a role in her story.

Top Bottom