• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys SEVEN PC |OT| Trails in the Flash Guard

Really. REALLY? Those two?
Very lame.

Tell me you're playing on nightmare.
Normal, sadly.

Nothing that bad sticks out to me, so... probably? Or poorly geared/leveled? Though "git grindin" is a lame improvement.
I mean, there's a new weapon and armor set every forty-six seconds, so I might have been one or so behind, but nothing else in the game has stuck out so bad for me; it was the fire or wind dragon, can't even remember now.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So, is anyone else having the issue where you just get a black screen in fullscreen mode, unless you have v-sync turned on? I've got a g-sync monitor, I ain't tryna fuck with that.

Ascheroth

Should I play this or VIII ?

Never played a Ys game before. Tried the demo for VIII and enjoyed it.
VIII is basically a refined version of Seven and is pretty much better in all aspects aside from localization..
Answer also depends on where you want to play it: PC? I'd go with Seven at the moment, out of those two. PS4? VIII.

But really, Origin and Oath in Felghana are what you should play :p
Should be said that they play very differently from Seven and VIII.
Origin has a free demo on Steam, you could try that.

Blue-kun

Normal, sadly.

You're definitely not doing something right here, there should be no bosses you're hitting for 50-60 damage even with normal attacks that late in the game. Especially if it was the Fire Dragon, with Mustafa you can easily do over 20k damage to the guy with one EX, and a Dragon Blaze can easily do like 2k damage with one use.

Other characters may not do as much damage, but it's still not 50-60 unless you're keeping yourself at a distance at all times with Sigroon and chipping away with the boss with normal hits... which you really shouldn't be. The game later on revolves around using skills to deal damage and/or to build EX meter. Sigroon (and Aisha) have access to Killer Hornet (and later Waspinator), which aren't very costly skills and are great to spam. You'll notice you're not dealing a lot of damage, but they hit lots of times and as such build up your EX meter very, very fast. The faster you charge that by using such skills alongside with Flash Guards, the faster you'll be killing monsters.

Mishera also excels at this with her Tornado skill, with the difference that unlike Waspinator and Killer Hornet, Tornado also hits really damn hard. It's also much more costly at 50 SP though, but you can equip a Blue Jewel or the other item that cuts SP consumption at 1/2 to maximize its advantadges.

Tonton

Felghana and Origin aren't much long, they are closer to being 10 something hours for a playthrough

Felghana has a PSP version and Origin is on Vita but I don't really know how those versions are (I think the PSP version of Felghana has some added stuff like voice acting)

preta

Felghana and Origin aren't much long, they are closer to being 10 something hours for a playthrough

Felghana has a PSP version and Origin is on Vita but I don't really know how those versions are (I think the PSP version of Felghana has some added stuff like voice acting)

PSP Felghana has voice acting, but that can be patched into the PC version too. The main issue is that it's 30 FPS as opposed to the smooth 60 of PC. Origin on Vita is also 30 fps, and only adds an HD HUD (that I think is less immediately readable than the original HUD anyway). The PC versions of both games are the definitive ones, so if you're okay with about 10 hours for Felghana and 18 for Origin I would recommend playing them there.

Kvik

Mishera also excels at this with her Tornado skill, with the difference that unlike Waspinator and Killer Hornet, Tornado also hits really damn hard. It's also much more costly at 50 SP though, but you can equip a Blue Jewel or the other item that cuts SP consumption at 1/2 to maximize its advantadges.

Mishera is my permanent party member simply because I love using Tornado. It's a great skill and I leveled it to the max. It almost trivialise the first two elemental dragon fights.

I haven't finished with the rest of the game but I wish there's more to it mechanically than simply hacking away at their feet.

Blue-kun

Mishera is my permanent party member simply because I love using Tornado. It's a great skill and I leveled it to the max. It almost trivialise the first two elemental dragon fights.

I haven't finished with the rest of the game but I wish there's more to it mechanically than simply hacking away at their feet.

I'm a pretty big fan of Rada-Manj in particular, because I really like how they broke up that fight into two and each segment of it, but yeah, mechanically the fights are a bit "hit where you can hit them". The first three dragons are somewhat guilty of this, though Mu-Anti, the Wind One, has a few tricks up his sleeves. The following dragon, however, is a pretty different fight, although whether you'll prefer that or not remains to be seen. I think it always has the potential to become a bit janky, so it's my least favourite of them all, lol.

But yeah, Tornado is an amazing skill, and Mishera is an often overlooked character simply because Aisha is 'too good'. He normal attacks are faster and while her shots don't aim, you feel like you're charging more SP with her than with Mishera. Still, if you commit to her, Tornado really hits like a truck and does a fantastic job at charging EX meter. I've played this game way too many times, but I'd say my favourite party is definitely Adol,
Cruxie
and Mishera. ESPECIALLY for bosses.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Yup I too discovered the glory of tornado. Give her an SP cost reduction accessory and shred things to pieces.

Took down Kava Kelos at level 30, which is definitely overleveled but I still had to retry a couple times since I used Aisha exclusively with no health items. It's still impressive how much that boss varies and what it throws at players. The beetle and golem are pretty good too, so it's more a testament to how awesome (and slightly screwed up in 60 FPS) the birb is.

And now I can finally go to Edona, my favorite location in Ys Seven. Holy Precincts of Wind was more fun than I remembered though. O-Balon's definitely my least favorite Dragon, but the octopus was interesting to fight.

Blue-kun

Took down Kava Kelos at level 30, which is definitely overleveled but I still had to retry a couple times since I used Aisha exclusively with no health items. It's still impressive how much that boss varies and what it throws at players. The beetle and golem are pretty good too, so it's more a testament to how awesome (and slightly screwed up in 60 FPS) the birb is.

And now I can finally go to Edona, my favorite location in Ys Seven. Holy Precincts of Wind was more fun than I remembered though. O-Balon's definitely my least favorite Dragon, but the octopus was interesting to fight.

Yeaaaah, those tornados in 60 FPS were completely broken, it made for some not very fun things here and there. And I think 30 is alright for Kava Kelos, I did it at L27 and it was painful, but then it was about HONOUR and I figured I'd kill it at the level I got there lol.

Octopus also has its own share of "60 FPS broke Flash Guard" instances, and I'm just thinking it's gonna be a recurring theme from here on out.

Having so much lenience for Flash Guard spam is just, wow, I don't remember this being so easy and also counter-productive. Kava Kelos's tornado also has some weird frame timing towards the end of its animation which notably screws with Flash Guard, but not its EX attack which is easier to Guard. I also beat the first Titano side-quest since I'm a good enough level and post-Guard damage + Sword Dance = lots of DPS and EX gains.

I personally don't get the complaint about Dragon fights. They're long, yeah, but varied and can be approached in multiple ways. Rada-Manj stands out for the stage gimmick, Angue-Barl kind of throws everything at you, Mu-Anti is quite a troll boss, O-Balon just sits in its cubby hole half the time, and Ze-Kalios doesn't mess around when it changes phase

Okay, gotta call it quits for tonight. Edona Village is such a great dungeon though, even if it's on the easier side. So much grand architecture, variety, and useful loot encouraging you to learn new skills. I bet the people behind Castle Strangerock did this one.

Link1110

Just got to the
wind dragon
and I'm having so much with this. Falcom needs to get to work on the inevitable remake of Kefin like now. It's seriously my most wanted game.

Psxphile

Xseed twitter has been teasing an upcoming update for the better part of the day. Wonder when it will drop.

What was Quest #7 and who gives it to you? I'm on my second trip to Ruins Island and that's the only quest that's not recorded in the journal.

FLD

What was Quest #7 and who gives it to you? I'm on my second trip to Ruins Island and that's the only quest that's not recorded in the journal.

You missed it. You get it from an NPC in the Altago Inn and there's a very short window to get it. It's for defeating a certain boss, you can only get it after a specific story moment and you fight that boss not very long after. It's the only quest I ended up missing in my playthrough.

Xseed twitter has been teasing an upcoming update for the better part of the day. Wonder when it will drop.

It gave you a second tier accesory for strengh, if I'm not mistaken. I learned it after missing the window and didn't bother to load to a previous save -there are much better rewards for other sidequest-

And to echo some opinions above, I also thought mishera was great and her abilities were really strong.

Psxphile

You missed it. You get it from an NPC in the Altago Inn and there's a very short window to get it. It's for defeating a certain boss, you can only get it after a specific story moment and you fight that boss not very long after. It's the only quest I ended up missing in my playthrough.

Probably that one whiner merchant that kept wanting to leave town but never could during the first half.

Major patch just released on Steam:

• Fixed an issue where the game would not launch in Offline Mode
  • Fixed an issue that caused computers with certain locales to crash when saving progress or loading a save
  • 2560x1440 and 3840x2160 resolution support added
  • Mouse cursor now disappears when a gamepad is connected
  • Players may now switch characters while using EXTRA skills
  • Fixed an issue where certain controllers could not use Guard or Skills by default
  • Cleaned up some graphical issues in the UI.
  • Added safety measures to prevent the game from being flagged by certain antivirus programs
  • The game will now pre-compile shaders on lower end computers.
  • The EXTRA skill gauge will no longer occasionally empty when no EXTRA skill is used
  • The "Item" menu now opens when it shares the same button assignment as "Cancel"

tl;dr 4k capable now, better binding for Item menu, no offline/save and load fail bugs anymore

sanhora

Major patch just released on Steam:

• Fixed an issue where the game would not launch in Offline Mode
  • Fixed an issue that caused computers with certain locales to crash when saving progress or loading a save
  • 2560x1440 and 3840x2160 resolution support added
  • Mouse cursor now disappears when a gamepad is connected
  • Players may now switch characters while using EXTRA skills
  • Fixed an issue where certain controllers could not use Guard or Skills by default
  • Cleaned up some graphical issues in the UI.
  • Added safety measures to prevent the game from being flagged by certain antivirus programs
  • The game will now pre-compile shaders on lower end computers.
  • The EXTRA skill gauge will no longer occasionally empty when no EXTRA skill is used
  • The "Item" menu now opens when it shares the same button assignment as "Cancel"

tl;dr 4k capable now, better binding for Item menu, no offline/save and load fail bugs anymore

They also deleted the HD textures modding thread from the forums :<

Kvik

No big deal. It's true home is right here in this thread anyway :p

Anyway, I'm happy 1440p is finally supported. Still not a true arbitrary support, since those with ultrawide monitors will be shit out of luck.

Psxphile

Since the recent patch didn't fix the intro FMV lag I decided to convert a version of the .WMV myself using a ripped .PMF file from the PSP game. Works fine now. Shame there isn't a source for a res higher than 480x270. You can only upscale so much before it looks like shit. Also being limited to WMV compression is bogus.

I think I might have to do the same for the ending and credits, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

also: didn't know there was a vocal version of Innocent Primeval Breaker
EDIT: oh shit there's another one

I think I like the second one better

Link1110

Can they let me choose what button prompts I see? I'm posting with an Xbox 360 controller, but If I see those promote I always have to think "switch a and b, switch x and y" so can I just see abxy where they'd be on a SNES controller?

Psxphile

Can they let me choose what button prompts I see? I'm posting with an Xbox 360 controller, but If I see those promote I always have to think "switch a and b, switch x and y" so can I just see abxy where they'd be on a SNES controller?

In the options you can select PC Classic, Keyboard, Xbox and Dual Shock button prompts. Unfortunately for Dual Shock they're a little mixed up. There's no way to swap letters around though without some hex editing, I don't think. Otherwise the dualshock problem would have been fixed pronto.

Kvik

For some reason the new patch didn't want to play nice with DSR. With DSR turned on, the 1440p resolution option will actually outputs 2880p which is the DSR 4x preset.

Ideally I would like to play at 2880p, which obviously does wonders for jaggies, but apart from the framepacing which is now all over the place which is undesirable, it also introduces some visual glitches.
e5YuU.gif

Removing the DSR presets from NVCP fixes the problem, but this is not ideal
zWVbK.gif

EDIT: Looks like it's a known problem since some people reported this in the Bug thread of Steamcommunity.

Kvik

Welp, nobody posts on the weekend anymore? Must be busy playing Ys 8 :p

Anyway, I finished the game and had a very enjoyable time. The final fights were pretty cool. I'm sure was glad that years of playing Trails game teaches me not to neglect your B-team party members. :)

I assigned Flash Guard to my DS4 R2 button and by the time I cleared the second stage of the final level it now has this permanent squeaking sound. Sony should build better controllers :p. I don't know what it is about the Flash Guard SFX, it was so satisfying to hear (and to pull it off)

I was planning to jump right into Ys 8, but since they've delayed the PC release, I'll have to contend with playing other games.

I only just got back to playing Seven after a bunch of events over the weekend. Going with Fire Sanctum first seems like a good idea since it's oddly shorter than the others...still a fun time, of course. Angue-Barl should be an interesting first Dragon to fight.

Kvik

Okay, gotta call it quits for tonight. Edona Village is such a great dungeon though, even if it's on the easier side. So much grand architecture, variety, and useful loot encouraging you to learn new skills. I bet the people behind Castle Strangerock did this one.

Oh yeah, I like the environment puzzle there, definitely echoing Castle Strangerock. Moon Sea Sanctum Well of Souls also had that refraction puzzle which I like, although it's rather short, sadly. Also nobody told me I have to do ice skating :p

Link1110

Oh yeah, I like the environment puzzle there, definitely echoing Castle Strangerock. Moon Sanctum also had that refraction puzzle which I like, although it's rather short, sadly. Also nobody told me I have to do ice skating :p
Moon sanctum? What dungeon was that? Did my gamed glitch when it sent me straight from iska village to the moon dragon boss? There was a pair like that in the final dungeon though

Kvik

Moon sanctum? What dungeon was that? Did my gamed glitch when it sent me straight from iska village to the moon dragon boss? There was a pair like that in the final dungeon though

lol. I meant to say Sea Sanctum Well of Souls. I wish there is a Moon Sanctum instead of just Ze-Kalios' studio apartment :p

Psxphile

Finally finished the game last night. Logged about 41+ hours according to steam, about 4 of those just dicking around at the end trying to gather up mats to synth all the end-game recipes and get some achievements. I still need to do the max skill level one but even with the Training Ring III it takes too damn long spamming specials to level them up. Considering just dropping it and finally giving Ys VIII a spin but my completionist soul wills me to finish what I started.

Shame Ys Seven never shipped with a new game plus feature.

Ascheroth

Can't believe I'm saying this, but the further I advance the more tired I get of this game.
I'm now at the point where
I have to search for the dragons
and suddenly there's tons of new shit to buy and skills to learn and I don't have the money for half of it and it's just annoying. The skill system looks cool at first but it's just a lot of busywork. Much prefer how Ys VIII handles this.
Blergh. The actual combat and boss fights are ace, I'm even enjoying the story, but there's sooooooo much useless fluff surrounding everything.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but the further I advance the more tired I get of this game.
and suddenly there's tons of new shit to buy and skills to learn and I don't have the money for half of it and it's just annoying. The skill system looks cool at first but it's just a lot of busywork. Much prefer how Ys VIII handles this.
Blergh. The actual combat and boss fights are ace, I'm even enjoying the story, but there's sooooooo much useless fluff surrounding everything.
Probably wasn't a great idea to get started on VIII since it definitely improves the skill system, among other things. Skill levels aren't a huge deal since getting equipment and level stats matters more, but certain level 5 skill upgrades can help. In general, go with high-SP skills your characters will get last, like Dogi's Grand Slam or Geis's Axe Mastery or Adol's Pentagram.

Just stick with it. I had no trouble getting all the money I needed for buying and synthesizing, and Training Rings are very useful. The skill descriptions tell you enough about each skill to make them worth keeping or skipping every time you get a weapon, too. I'll just say that Aisha and Mishera both have more redundant/wimpy skills vs. Geis, Dogi, Adol, and maybe Mustafa.

Also, remember that you can do the first three Sanctums in your preferred order, as they don't have much difficult differences between them. Earth's the simplest one to beat, and least interesting IMO, so I started with Fire and will do Wind first on my next run whenever that happens.

Danny Dudekisser

With the delay of Ys VIII on PC, I figured I might as well give this one a shot... seeing as how I bought it on launch day.

This port turned out really well. There's some clear PSP vestiges, sure, but having the game on a real display, running at high resolutions and a locked 60fps is such a nice change from how I played the game the first time around. It really makes a huge difference in how the game feels.

Also? It's fun as hell. The controls are so precise, the boss fights are great, and the music is sooo good. This was my intro to the series, back when I first played it in 2011, and it's kinda nice to see that, even after playing everything else Ys has to offer (with the exception of V, I guess), I'm still having a great time with this one.

Kvik

and suddenly there's tons of new shit to buy and skills to learn and I don't have the money for half of it and it's just annoying.

A bit late, but with 50,000 mira gold investment, you can buy a set of gloves called "Bandit's Glove" at Zanzibar's shop to increase your gold drop. It's well worth it if you want to collect all the skills.

Ascheroth

0vzG4xc.png

If I would have to sum up my current feelings with one gif, it would be this one:

So yes, I have completed Ys Seven.

I'm not quite sure yet where I would place it in my personal Ys rankings, but probably not above Origins and Felghana.
There are a few things I didn't quite like all that much, but it's a very good game regardless.

I actually enjoyed the story a lot. It's no ground-breaking epic, but it does it's job, is very well executed with some very high highs (no doubt in part because it is supported by the stellar soundtrack) and has a cast of likeable characters.

Gameplay is very different from the previous 3D Ys. You now have a party of 3 and more expanded RPG systems. There is equipment and item crafting as well as skill learning and leveling. Very cool at first but it got a bit tiring at the end, especially since there are soo many skills, they are tied to weapons (use the skill to master it and then you can use it without the weapon, like in Xanadu Next) and money is tight.
Felt a bit like padding, I would have preferred less but more meaningful skills like in previous games.

The addition of Flash Guarding and dodge rolls makes combat faster and also more mashy. It's a ton of fun still, especially against bosses, which are again the highlight of the game. And the final boss delivered.

I wasn't a big fan of the increase in NPCs and NPC dialog. Made me dread reaching a new town after the halfway point. Yeah, you can just ignore them but Trails games have me conditioned to talk to every NPC twice after a story step. Dammit Falcom.

Also the soundtrack is amazing
Example.

Danny Dudekisser

I finished the PC version today. Wasn't sure how I'd feel about Ys Seven, playing it again. It was my intro to the series in 2011, I had a great time with it, and proceeded to play everything else that made it to western shores. Was kind of a relief to see that I still enjoyed the hell out of the game this time around. It's a little heavy on the story and maybe a touch too long for its own good, but it's just a super fun game. Having the game freed from the confines of the PSP, running at high resolutions and 60fps makes a pretty big difference, too. It just feels great to play.

And, I've got to say, playing through this makes me really, really want some more Falcom PSP games ported over, particularly with how well the results turned out here. Like, the Crossbell games are the obvious answer, but then I think about Brandish. I can scarcely imagine a more worth PSP port. And I'd love to try Nayuta no Kiseki someday. Well, we'll see. Hopefully this port did well enough to justify more of Falcom's catalog making the leap.

Top Bottom