• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PC/Steam) |OT|

Aeana

Falcom's page says they're HighColor which is 16-bit color, but if that's the case, then I don't know why I had color problems, and people who try to play them in Windows 7 also have color problems.

Triple-dipped. I own a physical copy of the PSP Collector's Edition, a digital copy of the PSP version I bought to play on my Vita and now the PC version on Steam. I must like Ys or something.

Goody

Bought and started today and got my butt handed to me by the first boss and am still tackling the second. Really digging this game, but I'm hopefully not making a mistake trying to play on Normal.

I haven't played an Ys game since the original Ys III, and man, do I love this. I love the visual style this thing has. Really reminds me of Harvest Moon and Ogre Battle 64.

Apollyon

Neo Member
Never played a Ys game before, but there's been glowing praise from this thread, so I looked up the game on YouTube. Afterwards, this would be the first time I've run Steam in over a month, and I don't think I've bought a game faster on its Steam release.

Even after watching clips of the game on YouTube, I didn't expect the game's combat to feel so fast-paced in my own hands. I feel right at home playing an Action-RPG with such brisk combat, and I think that's a very good mix that holds up well today. And even if the combat itself is fairly simple, what's important is that it's fun, and the game will offer enough of a challenge to require you to still be on your game.

Speaking of being on your game...Died to the first boss twice, then beat him on the third take, and died twice to the second boss twice and beat her on the third take, and I'm still ready for more embarrassing first time deaths to bosses on just Normal difficulty.

And the music. Damn.

Thrilled with Ys: The Oath in Felghana so far and I'd be glad to support more releases like this on Steam.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Really enjoying the game, my only recent exuberance with Ys was playing a bit of the Japanese Version of Origin, and I it is just fun. Just finished up the third statue boss, I do have to wonder if I could have actually just of gone to the 4th stature, the game does seem to have given me a bit more free reign of what to do (Though maybe once I get back to town, something else will happen)

krYlon

So the in-game manual mentions a move that triggers when you attack immediately after coming to a standstill. I can't get it to work. Am I missing something obvious?

Make sure you leave a little pause of about half a second after coming to a standstill.
The "immediately" part is what threw me off as well.
If using an analogue stick I find it helps to just let go of it so it bounces back to the centre (then pause for half a second then press attack).

Once you get used to it you will do it every time with no problem.

Sentenza

I would guess the game is doing quite well for an old game releasing with years of delay, judging by how it never left the top spot of best seller since its first apparition yesterday.

Paracelsus

I would guess the game is doing quite well for an old game releasing with years of delay, judging by how it never left the top spot of best seller since its first apparition yesterday.

It sure helps that it looks a top-tier indie game, the fact it's probably better than stuff like Bastion boosted word of mouth.

I would say there is more platforming in Oath actually, and much trickier platforming at that.

Nice to hear, thanks.

Maedhros

Going to nitpick here, but I think your facts might be off a touch.

Ys I Eternal did come out in the 90s and did run in 256 colors, but Ys II Eternal came out in 2000 with much improved graphics running in full color.

Ys I & II Complete then takes this a step further, putting Ys I Eternal into the Ys II Eternal engine, with the new sprites and better color of the latter, plus a new OST that I adore (FM synth forever)

Yes, they run in VGA, but saying that is suboptimal to the PSP version is not quite right, because the PSP version runs in an even smaller resolution than 640 x 480, and it runs at 30 FPS instead of 60, making it visually inferior.

Ys I & II Complete for PC is still a fantastic looking game and I would pay moneyz for it to be on Steam.

PC:
ys2eternal.jpg

PSP:
ys2-psp.png

/nitpick

Talk about nitpicking man... looks the same on both screens, besides the smaller resolution...

krYlon

I have to agree with ctrayne on Ys I&II.

I don't know all the technical specs behind each game, but on my 15 inch screen, Ys I&II Complete on the PC looks much better and plays much smoother than the PSP version (though I haven't played it on Vita).
I'd go as far as to say it is the best looking Ys game(s) period.

You can see all the detail in the villages and houses much more clearly and the colours are wonderful. It really needs to be played on PC to get the most out of it.
Hopefully it comes to Steam and XSEED can find a way of upping the res for larger screens.

VandalD

I was only getting a short music track and a black screen whenever I started this game up. Supposedly it's a codec issue. I had to uninstall a program that included fddshow. Oh well. Didn't need it anyway. Odd issue though.

Now the game loads up, but the title menu is missing text options.
BFA405002F0BBB824B2EEB0C43FDF1269D5CC4D6

Not found anything on this issue yet.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Talk about nitpicking man... looks the same on both screens, besides the smaller resolution...

It's not that it is the resolution exclusively, it's the field of view that is afforded to you. The fact that you can see the entire tree on the right in Complete compared to less than half of the same object in Chronicles is enough to irritate many players. Couple that with the overhead camera being at a closer zoom on Adol. Since it is an action RPG you want to see as much of your surroundings as possible.

I was only getting a short music track and a black screen whenever I started this game up. Supposedly it's a codec issue. I had to uninstall a program that included fddshow. Oh well. Didn't need it anyway. Odd issue though.

BFA405002F0BBB824B2EEB0C43FDF1269D5CC4D6

Not found anything on this issue yet.

Try to verify the integrity of the game cache first up. It worked for my problem, though unrelated to yours.

Outside of that I guess you could try and grab a few well-known graphic codecs and see what happens then.

VandalD

Try to verify the integrity of the game cache first up. It worked for my problem, though unrelated to yours.

Outside of that I guess you could try and grab a few well-known graphic codecs and see what happens then.
Verify integrity didn't have it download anything new.

I actually got into the game, thinking maybe it's just a title screen issue, by clicking the topmost option repeatedly. They're walking away from a boat, a dialog window pops up, and there's no text. So I guess it's not a codec issue. Maybe a font or a language issue? I have no idea. Are there support forums for this game? I haven't been able to find anything useful.

Durante

Verify integrity didn't have it download anything new.

I actually got into the game, thinking maybe it's just a title screen issue, by clicking the topmost option repeatedly. They're walking away from a boat, a dialog window pops up, and there's no text. So I guess it's not a codec issue. Maybe a font or a language issue? I have no idea. Are there support forums for this game? I haven't been able to find anything useful.

Quoting from 2 pages back:
That's weird. Tell 'em to just try rebooting. Otherwise, installing the MS PGothic font might work as the game will fall back on it if somehow the built-in font isn't working.

Wow, the achievement names and icons are embarrassing.

Also, why is there an achievement for getting max level? I know it's possible but it involves DOZENS of hours since everything gives you one experience point. That seems a little silly for a game that takes less than ten hours to fully complete.

Hmm, I also thought Inferno Mode was a joke mode and unbeatable (well, until the PSP version).

I had the invisible text problem, and I can confirm that installing the East Asian language files makes the text appear.

I still can't get it to display properly in 4:3 though. "No scaling" isn't working for some reason. I wish the game itself had an option for black bars instead of relying on video card configuration which is apparently not a sure thing. Is there a window mode?

Maedhros

It's not that it is the resolution exclusively, it's the field of view that is afforded to you. The fact that you can see the entire tree on the right in Complete compared to less than half of the same object in Chronicles is enough to irritate many players. Couple that with the overhead camera being at a closer zoom on Adol. Since it is an action RPG you want to see as much of your surroundings as possible.

It doesn't make the game any more or less difficult in the end, at least for me. The only real difference is the framerate, and considering the people on this forum, it's a problem. I don't care for 60 or 30FPS in any game I play.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I had the invisible text problem, and I can confirm that installing the East Asian language files makes the text appear.

I still can't get it to display properly in 4:3 though. "No scaling" isn't working for some reason. I wish the game itself had an option for black bars instead of relying on video card configuration which is apparently not a sure thing. Is there a window mode?

Yeah, you can just turn full screen off if you can't get it to go into proper aspect ratio.

The_End

Not being a PSP owner, I'd never heard of this game until a few days ago. After checking out this topic though, I think I'm gonna buy this sucker on Steam. My Steam library is severely lacking in JRPGs so it'll be nice to fill that void.

Chaos

I cannot believe that I am stuck on the first boss on normal.

It's just one of his magic sword patterns that I cannot figure out how to consistently dodge for the life of me. And all the FAQs say is "hur hur that attack is hard to dodge".

He was quite tricky, I found staying below him a good distance and keeping on the move while timing jumps seemed to work.

Volcynika

Wow, the achievement names and icons are embarrassing.

Also, why is there an achievement for getting max level? I know it's possible but it involves DOZENS of hours since everything gives you one experience point. That seems a little silly for a game that takes less than ten hours to fully complete.

Hmm, I also thought Inferno Mode was a joke mode and unbeatable (well, until the PSP version).

Why are they embarrassing? I think they're pretty amusing. (And the icons were done by an XSEED intern, approved by Falcom to be used :p)

And getting max level isn't a big deal, I did it fairly easily and only needed a few levels before the end boss.

VandalD

Thanks for the replies, folks. I searched through this thread for the black screen issue, but I forgot to check again for the missing text. Installing East Asian languages fixed it right up for me. Now, hopefully, it's time to enjoy the game!

grendelrt

I cannot believe that I am stuck on the first boss on normal.

It's just one of his magic sword patterns that I cannot figure out how to consistently dodge for the life of me. And all the FAQs say is "hur hur that attack is hard to dodge".

Run back to town and buy either the first sword or chainmail, both are cheap. It will make him much easier.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Are you sure you set the options right? For nvidia I have to set it to no scaling, set it to use GPU scaling instead of Display scaling, and to force override the scaling mode set by games and programs. All on the same page, it works for every game like that for me, including this one. You could also try aspect ratio scaling instead of no scaling as for other games you may not mind the upscaling process and only want to fix the aspect ratio rather than play in letterbox if they're too low res. But windowed works.

Edit: and you're using a 4:3 resolution in the options, right? I didn't test this but I imagine GPU scaling might make no difference if you have it set to a stretched resolution in its own options...

damn i played the PSP version and i just saw that in this you control it with the MOUSE? does it support pads as well though? i can't imagine playing this without a D-pad or something hmmm :(

krYlon

damn i played the PSP version and i just saw that in this you control it with the MOUSE? does it support pads as well though? i can't imagine playing this without a D-pad or something hmmm :(

Yes it supports controllers. I play with my 360 controller.
Even when playing with the keyboard you don't have to use the mouse you can use arrow keys.

Saroyan

Played for 2 hours last night and I'm loving the game so far, but the glitchiness on my machine is driving me crazy.

I've had 2 full system freezes, a couple game freezes, textures not loading, textures loading up glitched or in the wrong places, even had it where all the terrain and backgrounds had a strong blueish color but the characters where all normal. Also glitchy text boxes and character portraits that are flickering around, its really weird. If I alt-tab out of and then back into the game then everything is fixed for a while but eventually starts glitching again.

Most of my glitches happened when trying to run in 1600x1200 full screen, it seemed more stable running in a window at 1280x1024, but I'd obviously rather play full screen.

I'm on win7 and I have a GTX 580 with the latest official drivers that I just installed last night to try and fix this. I have 2 monitors and a TV connected, maybe thats part of the problem?

TheExodu5

Banned
Is the game running without vsync? I'd monitor your GPU temps...there's always a chance the game is stressing your card in a funny way and making it overheat.

What do you mean by a full system freeze? If it's a hard lockup that resets your PC automatically, I'd suggest there's a strong possibility of your GPU overheating.

Saroyan

Is the game running without vsync? I'd monitor your GPU temps...there's always a chance the game is stressing your card in a funny way and making it overheat.

What do you mean by a full system freeze? If it's a hard lockup that resets your PC automatically, I'd suggest there's a strong possibility of your GPU overheating.

My GPU temps seem to be fine, only in the upper 40s according to evga precision. By system freeze I mean that everything went totally unresponsive, no auto reset, even ctrl-alt-del does nothing and I had to do a hard reset.

I can play Skyrim for hours straight on here but this old game is giving me all this trouble, kinda funny hehe.

edit- oh and vsync is on

grendelrt

My GPU temps seem to be fine, only in the upper 40s according to evga precision. By system freeze I mean that everything went totally unresponsive, no auto reset, even ctrl-alt-del does nothing and I had to do a hard reset.

I can play Skyrim for hours straight on here but this old game is giving me all this trouble, kinda funny hehe.

edit- oh and vsync is on

Yeha I had a full freeze last night as well and my system is rock solid. I was on a roll too :O

Why are they embarrassing? I think they're pretty amusing. (And the icons were done by an XSEED intern, approved by Falcom to be used :p)
4chan memes? Really? REALLY? I mean, even discounting the fact that that's probably the most insipid, uninspired, uninventive way to name achievements, it sorts of puts an ugly timestamp on what is otherwise a timeless product. I also feel it is sort of disrespectful to the source product. But whatever. I'm guessing Ys Origin will have a never-been-done-before "Over 9000" achievement and people will snicker about it like it's still an inside joke (hint: it's not). Yawn.

And getting max level isn't a big deal, I did it fairly easily and only needed a few levels before the end boss.
Huh? On which version? And if it's the Steam version did they change anything? Max Level is sixty and once you hit about fifty-two or so, even the toughest enemies right before the final boss give you a VERY SMALL amount of experience (and the level ups don't get any cheaper). I think I've gotten to fifty-four before realizing it would take a long time to get any higher.

Volcynika

4chan memes? Really? REALLY? I mean, even discounting the fact that that probably the most insipid, uninspired, uninventive way to name achievements, it sorts of puts an ugly timestamp on what is otherwise a timeless product. I also feel it is sort of disrespectful to the source product. But whatever. I'm guessing Ys Origin will have a never-been-done-before "Over 9000" achievement and people will snicker about it like it's still an inside joke (hint: it's not). Yawn.

I guess I'm just not super offended by them. Yeah they've been played out for the most part, but it just doesn't bother me.

Huh? On which version? And if it's the Steam version did they change anything? Max Level is sixty and once you hit about fifty-two or so, even the toughest enemies right before the final boss give you a VERY SMALL amount of experience (and the level ups don't get any cheaper). I think I've gotten to fifty-four before realizing it would take a long time to get any higher.

PSP version. I maxed my level out and don't remember sitting there for hours doing it.

Maedhros

4chan memes? Really? REALLY? I mean, even discounting the fact that that's probably the most insipid, uninspired, uninventive way to name achievements, it sorts of puts an ugly timestamp on what is otherwise a timeless product. I also feel it is sort of disrespectful to the source product. But whatever. I'm guessing Ys Origin will have a never-been-done-before "Over 9000" achievement and people will snicker about it like it's still an inside joke (hint: it's not). Yawn.

Did you even read that Falcom approved the achievments images?

Top Bottom