• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YTD Mainland Europe: PS5 2.45m; NSW 1.55m; X/S 0.35m

zedinen

Source
Both come from a Jeuxvideo.com forum.

I'll let you judge the relevance of these numbers but unless I got a confirmation that they are reliable we should take it with a grain of salt.

Hardware sales: (January – September) 2023

Mainland Europe (excluding Germany)

PS5 2.45 m
NSW 1.55 m
X/S 0.35 m

France
PS5 750k
NSW 480k
X/S 103k

Hardware sales: (Germany, First Half of 2023)

nq75M6H.jpg

Chastten

Banned
The European Union (of Xbox haters)
I know you're joking but ever since the Xbox One launch, it's more like Xbox hates us.

Literally everything they've done since 2012 starting with the TVTVTV-presentation pretty much focussed on America while ignoring anything Europe likes. They haven't made a good decision in well over a decade and honestly it's baffling that a huge coorporation like Microsoft manages to completely misread a big market like Europe for as long as they have. Especially since they got everything right with the Xbox 360 launch.

Anyways, those numbers seem legit. PS5 has been firing on all cylinders this year, while Switch is trucking along nicely. Meanwhile, Xbox is for all intents and purposes, not existant.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I know I could do a better job at leading Xbox than Phil Spencer. Dude is a Grade A moron.

For instance, he should have stepped in and told the guy who mandated split screen on the Series S for BG3 to fuck off, assuming of course that it wasn't him.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I know you're joking but ever since the Xbox One launch, it's more like Xbox hates us.

Literally everything they've done since 2012 starting with the TVTVTV-presentation pretty much focussed on America while ignoring anything Europe likes. They haven't made a good decision in well over a decade and honestly it's baffling that a huge coorporation like Microsoft manages to completely misread a big market like Europe for as long as they have. Especially since they got everything right with the Xbox 360 launch.

Anyways, those numbers seem legit. PS5 has been firing on all cylinders this year, while Switch is trucking along nicely. Meanwhile, Xbox is for all intents and purposes, not existant.
The US of A.

The United States of Anti-europeans.

MrA

Source

Hardware sales: (January – September) 2023

Mainland Europe (excluding Germany)

PS5 2.45 m
NSW 1.55 m
X/S 0.35 m

France
PS5 750k
NSW 480k
X/S 103k

Hardware sales: (Germany, First Half of 2023)

nq75M6H.jpg

at this point I dont' think the xbox division fight it's way out of a wet paper bag
down while even their 6-year-old competition is up , well played Microsoft, you clearly have no idea how to read the video game market.

elmos-acc

I think this is one of the reasons why sometimes it feels like I am living in a different universe than some of the people posting here - it is because our realities is very different.

Xbox is basically a dead brand here nowadays. Maybe GamePass actually is one of the better moves Xbox has done, since it has kept the consumer interest even somewhat running and provided steady cash flow even if it is not yet profitable.

Switch continues to be impressive. Nintendo is perhaps stronger here than ever and I hope that they will keep their momentum with the next console.

Sanepar

There are only 2 way for MS: buy ea and t2 and make all big ips exclusives and this would have risks or buy sony.

Or accept defeat and become a 3p but since all c-levels on xbox division are fanboys I don't think this is possible.

Xbox is dead in asia and Europe. Xbox is selling 40% less in UK. Xbox is selling 11% less than one in US.

elmos-acc

I don't really understand such a big difference. Lower price on x and game pass is big plus of Xbox. So far Playstation "system sellers" have been just few third person adventure games as usual.

Well, at least there is something to call "a system seller". GamePass still isn't a great selling point for a console. "You want a Netflix for games? Buy our 500€ console!"

Even if the PS games are all 3P cinematic games, Sony has the best of that genre (excluding Rockstar).

Also the lower cost is pretty much negligent when considering that you are going to have the console for almost a decade.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Well, at least there is something to call "a system seller". GamePass still isn't a great selling point for a console. "You want a Netflix for games? Buy our 500€ console!"

Even if the PS games are all 3P cinematic games, Sony has the best of that genre (excluding Rockstar).

Also the lower cost is pretty much negligent when considering that you are going to have the console for almost a decade.

Once upon a time ....in a galaxy far, far away......some ppl said Game Pass was gonna be the system seller.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
The people at Xbox saw these trends and still increased console prices in Europe. Very poor marketing too.

Surely there are some $15
Business courses on Udemy these people can take?

And now during Black Friday I see better discounts for PlayStation 5 than Xbox.

Part of me thinks their 17 Billion allocated budget for the year isn’t allowing them to be more aggressive. Either that or they are doing the math and concluding that lower priced consoles aren’t moving anymore units than standard price, at least in a way that justifies it.

At least in European countries it does look like Xbox management has decided to cut their losses because they don’t see a growth path for their consoles. Maybe they are more focused on increasing their PC gaming presence in Europe but without access to any data it’s up in the air how that’s going.

Last edited:

John Wick

There are only 2 way for MS: buy ea and t2 and make all big ips exclusives and this would have risks or buy sony.

Or accept defeat and become a 3p but since all c-levels on xbox division are fanboys I don't think this is possible.

Xbox is dead in asia and Europe. Xbox is selling 40% less in UK. Xbox is selling 11% less than one in US.
They have very little chance of buying any more large publishers like EA or T2. They barely got ABK over the line. You think they will be able to make something like GTA6 exclusive or FC24? Think again.
Best option for MS is to be a 3rd party publisher. They can't do nothing to compete but try to buy everything up etc.

T4keD0wN

Once upon a time ....in a galaxy far, far away......some ppl said Game Pass was gonna be the system seller.
It is a system seller to a degree. Their sales would be even worse if gamepass didnt exist. I cant imagine any other reason for buying xbox than that or people already having a library there (not really a reason to buy a new console)

Us Europeans are not as much into subscriptions, especially when they use American pricing as the wages in Europe are all over the place, in some countries 5+ times lower. It makes gamepass unappealing and disc trading/borrowing appealing.
Sony games generally have more and better translations available so its the clear choice. Xbox doesnt even make the most basic attempts as offering subtitles where i live. No wonder the sales are what they are.

Last edited:
There comes a point where Xbox's publishing side, if we consider multiplatform behaviour, should be enough to complete and make a lot of profit, like a Tencent.

If they want to be a big name in gaming and make a lot of money, that's the way to go.

Sticking in hardware and Gamepass just signals that they want to exert control on the industry.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I don't really understand such a big difference. Lower price on x and game pass is big plus of Xbox. So far Playstation "system sellers" have been just few third person adventure games as usual.

Maybe a few big third person adventure games are what drive sales on non Nintendo consoles? Being as objective and non-partisan as possible can you really think of what's better suited for driving mass-market attention?

There are a bunch of genres that shall always be dominated by PC, noone is even trying to out-Nintendo Nintendo anymore with their roster of blue-chip mascot franchises, licensed sports are best left cross-platform as they are drawing their users from outside of the videogaming core, there's not an awful lot left to focus on.

As to Xbox's general performance, for the sake of charitability the best I can offer is that to a large degree they've been unlucky. They keep making big bets but for one reason or another they simply aren't coming to fruition in the way I'm sure MS would hope. For example, in an ideal world the split offer of Series S and Series X does seem like a smart move because it gives them coverage of a wider entry-level in the console space.

While they couldn't have predicted Covid disrupting supply chains and limiting SX availability at the start, they really ought to have foreseen how SS parity would pose additional problems for developers and largely overshadow any advantage SX had over PS5. As much as anything because of the launch delays, those claims of "the most powerful console ever" no longer seem relevant.

Nothing I suspect sums up the problem they've created better than Hellblade 2. When that was first revealed at the TGA's back in 2019 it looked like a system seller, but 4 years on there's still no firm release date (just sometime in 2024), and its inevitable at this point the bulk of its market are going to experience the game on a Series S. Knowing as we do now how UE5 based titles perform, how much of the conversation when that comes out are going to be about how well or badly the title runs on this base-level hardware as opposed to its "wow" factor on top-end PC? That doesn't seem like a recipe for a system seller to me... more like a monthly bump on GamePass as people dip-in for a look at a game that's likely relatively short.

The people at Xbox saw these trends and still increased console prices in Europe. Very poor marketing too.

Surely there are some $15
Business courses on Udemy these people can take?
You think they should keep taking a large loss on console hardware in Europe when the console situation there appears hopeless?

It seems clear what they need to do in Europe. Focus on PC.

Killjoy-NL

You think they should keep taking a large loss on console hardware in Europe when the console situation there appears hopeless?

Or just become a 3rd party publisher. Which makes most sense out of all their options.

X-Wing

Europeans have always had better taste.

They already do, and shamelessly treat Xbox console owners as 2nd class consumers. The best place to play their games is the PC not their own console. Which is sad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom