• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuji Horii: "Content and value is king, oh, by the way, I'm Santa Claus."

Boney

Banned
TruePrime said:
hmm I wonder about this. I mean I don't like Dragon Quest (VIII was alright but I didn't really care for it.) didn't like Chrono Trigger, I wonder if there is something about his design that just doesn't click with me. Weird though given my favorite genre.
Disclaimer: Haven't played FFXIII

And your favourite FF is XIII? Or was that your GOTY so far?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
TruePrime said:
FF XIII, Star Ocean, LO, and Blue Dragon as well as several other games.

I don't see how you can't imagine one when several have already happened but okay.

Love or hate FF XIII there is no way you can call it a 20 hour game.

Game is as linear as it comes and takes 30 hours.

Beth Cyra

Boney said:
Disclaimer: Haven't played FFXIII

And your favourite FF is XIII? Or was that your GOTY so far?

No it is not my favorite FF, it is my GoTY. Though I shouldn't have qouted him, as I missread his post, my own fault. I read it as an RPG over 25 hrs and not an RPG 25 hrs or less.

So my bad.

Boney

Banned
TruePrime said:
No it is not my favorite FF, it is my GoTY. Though I shouldn't have qouted him, as I missread his post, my own fault. I read it as an RPG over 25 hrs and not an RPG 25 hrs or less.

So my bad.
No problemo, but please don't badmouth Chrono Trigger again.
or I'll stab you

Yes saying you don't like it is badmouthing it to me.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
GaimeGuy said:
Because the DS easily has the best lineup of any system, handheld or console, to come out in the last 15 years.

Unless you played the SNES or Genesis extensively & then all those GBA/DS games are just bargain-bin knockoffs that don't come close to the older era 2D games!

TruePrime said:
hmm I wonder about this. I mean I don't like Dragon Quest (VIII was alright but I didn't really care for it.) didn't like Chrono Trigger, I wonder if there is something about his design that just doesn't click with me. Weird though given my favorite genre.
There exist people who don't like Chrono Trigger!? This is unfathomable to me.

HeresSomeWeapons said:
There exist people who don't like Chrono Trigger!? This is unfathomable to me.

He didn't like CT but loves FFXIII... I think he might be the Bizarro World version of me. It's kind of creepy.

Beth Cyra

CryingWolf said:
He didn't like CT but loves FFXIII... I think he might be the Bizarro World version of me. It's kind of creepy.

Don't like Chrono Trigger, FF VI, FF IX and Dragon Quest VIII. But I love FF VIII X-2 and XIII.

Not bashing CT I swear.

Boney

Banned
FTWer said:
Unless you played the SNES or Genesis extensively & then all those GBA/DS games are just bargain-bin knockoffs that don't come close to the older era 2D games!
Please tell me you haven't played Drill Dozer. If you have, I'll smack you. And if you haven't, and don't get it now, I'll smack you

TruePrime said:
Don't like Chrono Trigger, FF VI, FF IX and Dragon Quest VIII. But I love FF VIII X-2 and XIII.

Not bashing CT I swear.
You're not human.

TruePrime said:

Not bashing CT I swear.

This is getting really weird. I swear, you can't be for real. You're from some alternate dimension, right?

Beth Cyra

CryingWolf said:
This is getting really weird. I swear, you can't be for real. You're from some alternate dimension, right?

Ouch.

But no, I really do dislike FF VI and IX quite a bit. My biggest issue is I don't like or care for the characters to me it is a just waste of time.

Where as with XIII, I really liked Lightning, Fang, Sazh, well pretty much everyone not named hope. I also really enjoyed how dedicated Snow was to Serah and just how much he loved her.

TruePrime said:
Is it really that crazy to everyone?

I can't speak for everyone, but it is to me. Totally incomprehensible.

It's like someone telling me that they didn't like Super Mario World, but they loved Chester Cheetah: Too Cool to Fool.

edit:
Chester_Cheetah_-_Too_Cool_to_Fool_Coverart.png

Beth Cyra

CryingWolf said:
I can't speak for everyone, but it is to me. Totally incomprehensible.

It's like someone telling me that they didn't like Super Mario World, but they loved Chester Cheetah: Too Cool to Fool.

edit:
Chester_Cheetah_-_Too_Cool_to_Fool_Coverart.png

Hmm don't know what that is, but I will leave my opinion of SMW out of this as it seems like I am the anti-christ in this thread already.

Beth Cyra

Boney said:
how can you not like Vivi !?

I do actually like Vivi. In fact I have argued that Vivi is great and that Kuja in one of the best villians in the entire series, and is infact tied for my number 2.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TruePrime said:
Hmm don't know what that is, but I will leave my opinion of SMW out of this as it seems like I am the anti-christ in this thread already.

Now you've got me involved. SMWest siiiiiiiiiiiiiiide

TruePrime said:
Liking the characters are weird? Hmm alrighty then.
Liking characters is fine. I don't place such high a priority on that that it prevents me from liking a game as a whole or otherwise ignoring larger flaws.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
FF9 does wang chung, but yeah, sounds like someone is trying to hard. And this is coming from someone who routinely tries too hard.

Boney

Banned
TruePrime said:
I do actually like Vivi. In fact I have argued that Vivi is great and that Kuja in one of the best villians in the entire series, and is infact tied for my number 2.
Ok then, Freya and Talantalus! And the Queen and Garnet. And the Kupos!

God I need to play this again.

TruePrime said:

LOL, at this point, I'm going to say that you should probably check out Chester Cheetah. I wouldn't be surprised if you did like it.

Beth Cyra

ShockingAlberto said:
Liking characters is fine. I don't place such high a priority on that that it prevents me from liking a game as a whole or otherwise ignoring larger flaws.

You're right about that. But I think that would only really apply to me if I thought that FF VIII, and XIII are perfect, but I don't I think they have very large problems, but between the gameplay and the story/characters hooking me in I enjoyed the games much more.

Where as VI it doesn't feel special to me, I think it has good qualities for sure, but everything it does well I find other games do as well with more things that I find enjoyable so I stick with them.

Also I never once called FF VI, CT, IX, and DQ VIII bad games, I would never say that about these titles I just don't like them.

Beth Cyra

RevenantKioku said:
FF9 does wang chung, but yeah, sounds like someone is trying to hard. And this is coming from someone who routinely tries too hard.

Haha I have no reason to try hard about this stuff. I could really careless about what someone thinks of my taste in games. If we agree we agree but if not well then no biggie. Honestly I would hate it if we all agreed on the exact same things. It would ruin any chance at actually conversation.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
TruePrime said:
Haha I have no reason to try hard about this stuff. I could really careless about what someone thinks of my taste in games. If we agree we agree but if not well then no biggie. Honestly I would hate it if we all agreed on the exact same things. It would ruin any chance at actually conversation.
Oh no, I'm not saying your opinion is dishonest. It just feels like it's being forced to make controversy where none really belongs.

Hunahan

Banned
TruePrime said:
Don't like Chrono Trigger
Don't worry, I'll stand with you, brother.

That game never did it for me, either. Screw the masses, we'll take them all on. Bring it motherf....
and Dragon Quest VIII.
...wooooooah! Hold up, now. Man. See...that...that right there....that's just fucked up. Where the hell are you headed with this crazy shit.

Next thing you're going to tell me, you lov-
I love FF VIII
...god damnit. This is all going real bad real fast. I'm regretting this partnership more by the minute.

Well....maybe it's still salvageable. At least you didn't say you like T-
and XIII.
Motherfucker.

...screw this. I'm out.

You're on your own, dude.

Beth Cyra

RevenantKioku said:
Oh no, I'm not saying your opinion is dishonest. It just feels like it's being forced to make controversy where none really belongs.

If that is the case maybe I was presenting it wrongly. I didn't it would cause any problems at all. Everyone that I was responding to and they to me have their thoughts and I have talked in the past on Gaf about these games.

There was no intent blatant or otherwise that was to tear the games down so much as it was to say even though I think Hori is one of the most important people in the dev sceen in Japan that for some reason I haven't enjoyed his games on the level that most others have.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The nice thing about the way Horii thinks is that it's not like his games are 40 hours from beginning to end storywise. DQ9 is probably around 20hrs story and then 20hours (or more) of just extra post-clear content. Totally voluntary but it's there!

sprsk said:
The nice thing about the way Horii thinks is that it's not like his games are 40 hours from beginning to end storywise. DQ9 is probably around 20hrs story and then 20hours (or more) of just extra post-clear content. Totally voluntary but it's there!
I'm sorry, but how disciplined do you have to be to doing "just the story" to possibly get through the story in 20 hours? I'm at like 35 now, and I'm MAYBE closing in on half-way.

Concept17

GaimeGuy said:
Because the DS easily has the best lineup of any system, handheld or console, to come out in the last 15 years.

Ewww...I can see how many would enjoy it, but its lineup is certainly not for some people, myself included.

Just can't get into handhelds.

As for hours of gameplay... I don't know. Very very very few single player games can hold my interest for longer than 20-25 hours tops. One of my favorite games this gen, AC2, I started to burn out on just as I got platinum. And thats the top of the spectrum. As for RPGs... I've had a hard time enjoying any after my MMO marathon.... Asheron's Call pretty much ruined all RPGs and MMOs for me, so not much can be helped. Gameplay is usually just dull and boring/repetitive and the games themselves feel like work, not fun.

Personally, I think that the Ace Attorney games alone justify owning a DS. There's nothing like them on any other system. But, I suppose I can conceive of the possibility that they may not be for everyone.

Beth Cyra

CryingWolf said:
Personally, I think that the Ace Attorney games alone justify owning a DS. There's nothing like them on any other system. But, I suppose I can conceive of the possibility that they may not be for everyone.

Luckily the DS has tons of other great games as well.

Yottamole

Banned
CryingWolf said:
The Phoenix Wright trilogy were first released for GBA, then got ported to PC, DS, Wii, phones, etc...but of course, both Apollo Justice and Miles Edgeworth are still DS only.

I really enjoy playing the DS (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222049), but I'm really not sure if it has that good of a lineup in comparison to, say, PS2.

JimboJones said:
Ace Attorney is on WiiWare
Pokemon could be played via Gameboy Player

:p

But are the Ace Attorney games the superior versions? I don't think so.
Also, I'd like to see you playing SoulSilver on a big screen (that isn't the DSi XL's).

Beth Cyra

Glass Soldier said:
But are the Ace Attorney games the superior versions? I don't think so.
Also, I'd like to see you playing SoulSilver on a big screen (that isn't the DSi XL's).

How do you definie superior version? Yes the graphics look a little worse but honestly the first 3 games didn't look all that great on DS. It has all the content so I don't see why it would be bad.

Now I can see some saying the PC version if it did indeed have redrawn art like I was told but as far I know that is JPN exclusive so.

TruePrime said:
How do you definie superior version? Yes the graphics look a little worse but honestly the first 3 games didn't look all that great on DS. It has all the content so I don't see why it would be bad.

Now I can see some saying the PC version if it did indeed have redrawn art like I was told but as far I know that is JPN exclusive so.

You can't play them in your bed and you can't shout "Objection!" or "Hold it!" into the microphone like a madman when you're riding the bus. :lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Playing Ace Attorney without the microphone is fucking lame.

Regarding six hour games, I'm okay with them as long as they encourage replayability. In fact, I prefer to have a short game I can enjoy multiple times instead of an epic mega-quest I'm only going to play once.

JimboJones

Glass Soldier said:
You can't play them in your bed and you can't shout "Objection!" or "Hold it!" into the microphone like a madman when you're riding the bus. :lol

You can swing the Wii remote and it will register an objection though!

Top Bottom