• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuji Horii: "Content and value is king, oh, by the way, I'm Santa Claus."

Someone doubting Horii's relevance, someone who doesn't like Chrono Trigger and someone with an irrational hatred of non-TV gaming.

grandpasimpson.gif

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Darklord said:
And this is the EXACT reason why Japanese games have terrible, god-awful pacing. They write a 15 hour story and drag it over 40 hours because they think it needs to be that long.
Yuji horri games are always well-paced though with the possible exception of DQVII or DQVIII. (haven't finished / haven't played). Heck he was apart of CT, which i consider to be the best paced j-rpg ever made.

I disagree with the idea that every RPG needs to last 40 hours. Especially when it's exactly the same gameplay since the NES era. I think I would prefer my DQ to last 20 hours. After playing DQ VII and VIII, I feel like I have played enough DQ for my whole life.

Xiaoki said:
"you want to have the value of the game"

Yeah, I want value for the games I buy but 1 hour per $1 is not a value. If I want that low of value for entertainment I'll rent a movie. 10 hours per $1 is a real value.
Who is giving away that kind of value?

Xiaoki said:
"you want to have the value of the game"

Yeah, I want value for the games I buy but 1 hour per $1 is not a value. If I want that low of value for entertainment I'll rent a movie. 10 hours per $1 is a real value.

lol, well that would mean in my case for Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice, that Im at 158 hours and the game cost 49.99, thats its been 31 cents per hour, I guess. Hm and Im nowhere close to finishing, I might get that amount.

Ultimately, I think 10 is a bit too steep, maybe 3 -5 hours per dollar is at least a bit more realistic, in that one can account for getting all accomplishments/medals/trophies/completing a monster compendium/generating every weapon/item in a game?

Only massively addicting online multiplayer games can achieve 10hrs/dollar, lol, and JSRPG's

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Bloodworth said:
I'm sorry, but how disciplined do you have to be to doing "just the story" to possibly get through the story in 20 hours? I'm at like 35 now, and I'm MAYBE closing in on half-way.

I'm a no frills gamer! Though maybe the story was more like 25-26 hours.
Still, the point stands. Developers shouldn't be scared of packing in content, as long as it doesn't stand in the way of getting to the end of the game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Someone should tell Monolith Soft that 40 hours is the sweet spot for RPGs. I'm almost at the 70 hour mark in Xenoblade, and it took Bebpo 114 hours. T_T

Mael

Himuro said:
8 and 9 are not as long as 7...

Well yeah, but they're still a metric longer than your usual SquareEnix stuffs like Final 50 Fantasy (seriously XII is the only one I did in more than the usual 50 at lvl 50).

Top Bottom