• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yumi's Odd Odyssey (Umihara 3DS) confirmed for NA via eShop by Natsume, in early 2014

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Considering what the DS version went for only a few months after it released this will be a bargain no matter what.

JEKKI

so hype, if odd odyssey were a thing u can eat,

then I would eat a yummy odd odyssey

as a matter of fact, I will call something an odd odyssey today,

just so I can eat it!!

it will be awesome!

schlew

While I wasn't able to confirm a release date, my interview with Natsume's Graham Markay managed to turn up some interesting tidbits. We spoke about how YOO fits into Natsume's family, confirmed online leaderboards, and also Natsume's process of deciding whether to release a game to retail or exclusively;

Yumi’s Odd Odyssey</em> is basically an unknown franchise in the West, spending money on production, packaging, etc. for a title that will probably only be carried at select retailers and in turn sell a relatively low amount of units doesn’t make fiscal sense for us. However, the great thing about digital distribution avenues like the Nintendo eShop is that we can take risks on niche games like <em>Yumi’s Odd Odyssey</em> without having to depend on retail stores. Therefore, gamers get to experience games they wouldn’t necessarily be able to due to the high cost of a physical production runs.

Without word from Natsume, I'm concerned YOO won't make Thursday (it's last chance for a January release). Regardless, it's coming soon and I'm pumped as hell.

Isotope

While I wasn't able to confirm a release date, my interview with Natsume's Graham Markay managed to turn up some interesting tidbits. We spoke about how YOO fits into Natsume's family, confirmed online leaderboards, and also Natsume's process of deciding whether to release a game to retail or exclusively;

Without word from Natsume, I'm concerned YOO won't make Thursday (it's last chance for a January release). Regardless, it's coming soon and I'm pumped as hell.

It actually just got pushed back by 2-3 weeks, so a mid-February launch seems likely now.

http://nintendoeverything.com/yumis-odd-odyssey-launch-slips-to-february/

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Dang, that kind of sucks, but oh well, not that long of a wait. & I understand them wanting to go with the eShop over retail. Though I'm still wanting to hear how much it'll cost.

ohlawd

nice interview

but I thought the thread got bumped because of release date news >_>

edit: holy shit I hope 2-3 weeks is right for launch. So perfect. Mid Feb is empty for me.

schlew

nice interview

but I thought the thread got bumped because of release date news >_>

edit: holy shit I hope 2-3 weeks is right for launch. So perfect. Mid Feb is empty for me.

When I saw the last post was from January 11 I knew that's what people would expect from a thread bump. Sorry about that.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
is this a remake of the original game? or a sequel?
A sequel. There's one on the DS that's pretty much a port of the original SNES & PS1 games.

When I saw the last post was from January 11 I knew that's what people would expect from a thread bump. Sorry about that.
Nah, that's alright. At the very least, we now know it'll be mid Feb. now, so hopefully among the lines of the 13th or 20th.

ohlawd

nah, it's all good

Anyone who would be interested in this game is going to be busy with at least 5 other games in February, a shame.
not me!

7 - Thighs
14 - Danganronpa - ships on launch, delivered by the end of the month
21 - Cranky Kong
25 - THAT'S HOT NO IT'S COLD
forgot date - Steins;Gate

so yeah 7-21 is empty.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Anyone who would be interested in this game is going to be busy with at least 5 other games in February, a shame.
*Remembers that Lightning Returns, Bravely Default, Tales of Symphonia Chronicles, Danganronpa, & DKC Tropical Freeze are out the same month*

Well crap, forgot all that was out the same month. Well again, all depends on price. If it's $20 or less, I'll probably grab it but any more & I'll probably have to wait for a sale.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Closest thing to an update was from their Facebook on Feb. 6th:

She’s dangling her legs over the dock, fishing line in hand, waiting for some eShop love! It won’t be long before Yumi’s Odd Odyssey launches on the 3DS eShop. In the meantime, the game continues to drive CeeCee completely mental as she is very, very bad at platformers. We know everyone is anxious for a release date: as soon as we have news, you will have news.
In the meantime, we’re looking for ways to bring you alittle more information about the game, and have been looking into possibly livestreaming a few levels on Twitch.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yikes, $30. I wanna support this, but with my budget & backlog, I'm sticking with my previous statement of waiting for a sale. At least we're closer to an exact date. I'm betting the 27th or March 6th.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
huh. I figured it'd be $19.99, but I'll still get it since I'm sitting on that credit from the FE:A/SMTIV promotion. Glad that we're getting closer to a solid release date.

JESUS H FUCK, $30?!?! Said everyone other than the five people who even know what this game is.

I'll buy it, but wow. That's some ambitious pricing.

Garraboa

did people react the same way with AA5 and Senran Kagura? Just askin', not trying to be insulting.

Just a matter of perception for each one, I guess. I didn't mind SK, I didn't think AA5 was worth it at that price, though (still waiting on a sale).

Yumi's Odd Odyssey will be mine Day 0!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
did people react the same way with AA5 and Senran Kagura? Just askin', not trying to be insulting.

Yes, particularly in the case of Senran Kagura. Though, neither of those were ugly platformers, so I imagine the reaction will be considerably more negative here. The comparison people will make, fair or not, will be to $5 indie games, and I can't see a whole lot of people giving this one a chance.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
AA5, not really since previous games were priced at $30 for retail & most were expecting $40. Senran Kagura, I think there was some that felt it should have been cheaper, but fans were just glad Xseed took the risk (plus the logic of "If we buy this, Shinovi Versus will get localized!")

Granted, those are different game genres, & to each their own.

eojoko

$30 is the precedent Senran Kagura Burst set.

I'm not going to buy this before I know that it's a good game though. The only thing I know about it is that it has a charming main character and has been eluding localization for decades now. Hopefully it also turns out to be a good game, and maybe a good platformer.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
a japanese retail game with an eshop exclusive localization to be priced at $29.99

shocking news!

Was there really that much to localize with this game, though? I'm not trying to imply that one game is somehow inherently worth less than another just because it's not text-heavy, but I thought the Umihara Kawase franchise were basically just platformers so there wouldn't be a lot of overhead for translation.

rjc571

Banned
The game is well worth $30 if you're a person who doesn't mind paying retail prices for a digital game. I'm not one of those people, so I have no regrets about importing the game from Japan last year. It only cost me a few bucks more than what NA is paying for it, and it came with a pretty sweet soundtrack, too.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, this doesn't seem like a $30 game. Even SK was pushing it. But this is just a quirky platformer.

Physical? Sure. Digital only? Nope.

rjc571

Banned
Why is a quirky sidescrolling beat 'em up more deserving of a $30 price tag than a quirky sidescrolling platformer? That doesn't even make sense.

Voliko

This is going to be well worth $30. The mechanics, physics, and levels of the previous games are excellent, there isn't much else like it.

cj_iwakura

Voice acting I'll give you, but Umihara's single player campaign is plenty meaty. Finding all of the alternate paths and collecting all of the purse thingies will keep you busy for a long time.

Fair enough, but this just doesn't really seem like a full price game. They should take the hit and try to reach more people.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The are charging more than Capcom did for AA5? That's disappointing, I thought they would go with 15-20 which would still be much for an unknown IP on the eShop. Becoming a sleeper hit at this price will be difficult.

Top Bottom