• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yves Guillemot: "We learned from the mistakes we made with Watch Dogs"

sjay1994

Might as well be a pre-written statement where they fill out the blanks at this point.
"We learned from the mistakes me made with ____________"

A brutally translated version of these apologies

We tried to push the limits of human decency and corporate ethics by robbing you by shoving out a mediocre product, but apparently you're almost as stupid as we thought you were - but not quite as much as we had hoped. Thankfully, apologies cost no money to make, so here, have one. You stupid fuck.

I used to think when a company apologized, it means they are truly learning... but since this has become such a common thing to just toss something out in a piss poor state, I just roll my eyes at them now.

vpance

I thought Watch Dogs was better than any of the AC games. Story was meh but it did the Ubi open world formula pretty well. Digital Trips and MP modes were really underrated.

Roo

2732023-289650_screenshots_2014-11-11_00006.jpg

"I do not believe I am ready for public consumption at this time. Come back a few weeks after the game ships."

The hell is that? lol

sjay1994

Bring back Patrice Desilets and we'll talk.

Ubi can't be trusted when it comes to having games perform as promised.

Fixed

Raymond contributed to both Watch Dogs and Unity, and look how both of those turned out. Ubi's quality dropped after he left. And with all the stuff surrounding 1666 and his firing, he is never going back.

Setsuna

Fixed

Raymond contributed to both Watch Dogs and Unity, and look how both of those turned out. Ubi's quality dropped after he left. And with all the stuff surrounding 1666 and his firing, he is never going back.

But i thought people disliked Brotherhood

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It IS strange how he's in every Ubisoft related thread.... defending Ubisoft. I mean... of all developers to have a fanboy that dedicated, why Ubisoft?
So i'm a fanboy for being able to reply to the same blanket statements (and seemingly allowed blatant trolling) that get reiterated in every single Ubi related thread? Honestly, it's a discussion forum, follow my posts, I always try to back my statements up with a source of visual. Honestly, the revisionist history and blanket statements like "they've never tried to change the games" are extremely frustrating to read.

Skyzard

Banned
Totally ignores PC in that PR. PC had a lot of the higher settings and had to be enabled with mods.

Watch dogs was alright for a first attempt. But story...and the missing graphics were pretty big downsides for me.

crimilde

Banned
So i'm a fanboy for being able to reply to the same blanket statements (and seemingly allowed blatant trolling) that get reiterated in every single Ubi related thread? Honestly, it's a discussion forum, follow my posts, I always try to back my statements up with a source of visual. Honestly, the revisionist history and blanket statements like "they've never tried to change the games" are extremely frustrating to read.

But do you see the fact that so many people find them boring and repetitive and same old stuff all over again?
Doesn't that point out that maybe, just maybe, they are not changing them enough to matter? Or not in the right ways?

Älg

What's even the point of making threads about Ubisoft anymore? It's not like there will be any discussion or anything.

Totally ignores PC in that PR. PC had a lot of the higher settings and had to be enabled with mods.

You mean broken shadows and bloom out the ass? Yeah, fantastic.

Crossing Eden

But do you see the fact that so many people find them boring and repetitive and same old stuff all over again?
Doesn't that point out that maybe, just maybe, they are not changing them enough to matter? Or not in the right ways?
That's the thing, on GAF, you see that common complaint, but outside of this forum, many actually like their games. GAF is not indicative of the general gaming community. That and the fact that many say "oh it's repetitive" as a blanket statement, they don't actually state why or how, or acknowledge the differences between their games, they just use the word as if it's the only defining factor of the games. W3 is repetitive, the majority of question marks contain or lead to sword diagrams, Arkham Knight is repetitive, I have to shoot breakable objects in the environment to solve a riddle. These sounds like fun games to you? Ofc not, because both those statements completely ignore pretty much every other thing you can do in those games. And that's what happens in these threads. Yes you can collect a lot of chests in AC:Unity, you can also play the campaign, you can also play the side content that has a story for a large amount o characters that you meet both in the campaign and side campaign, mission design is now much more open. etc.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Good. I'm actually looking forward to Watch Dogs 2. It wasn't as bad as some people make it out to be. And I'm someone who very rarely ever plays Ubisoft games. Hope they announce it soon. Probably not until E3 next year, right?

Skyzard

Banned
Älg;171078629 said:
You mean broken shadows and bloom out the ass? Yeah, fantastic.

I didn't enable the broken shadows (headlights casting shadows). Or up the bloom.

Ended up having to tweak it myself as much as I could because the modders were going overboard.

Dysun

The on-foot gameplay (stealth/shooting) was the best part of the game. Characters, Atmosphere, Narrative, Cars, and Hacking were all extremely dull though

sjay1994

That's the thing, on GAF, you see that common complaint, but outside of this forum, many actually like their games. GAF is not indicative of the general gaming community.

So why do you constantly tire yourself out trying to change the opinions of people who aren't going to change?

You would be much better off ignoring those comments, instead of fighting against them, because now people don't take you seriously because of your subtitle.

Älg

I didn't enable the broken shadows (headlights casting shadows). Or up the bloom.

Ended up having to tweak it myself as much as I could because the modders were going overboard.

The shadows were more or less broken. They were of significantly lower quality than the rest of the shadows, and there were a lot of issues when you walking close to a car.

Here's some what the mod added:

Increased bloom. This went back and forth between releases. At one release it was so extreme that a single light source could bleed over the entire screen.

Permanent DoF. The DoF effect was already in the game; the mod only made it permanent. Purely and artistic choice.

Fog. Again, was already in the game. Artistic choice.

Colour grading and stuff. Artisti choice.

The only thing the mod added that wasn't already in the game was the shadows, and as I said, they were far below standard.

antitrop

The on-foot gameplay (stealth/shooting) was the best part of the game. Characters, Atmosphere, Narrative, Cars, and Hacking were all extremely dull though

Watch_Dogs had the most boring car radio selection of any game of its kind that I've played. In games where you do a lot of driving, that's actually a big deal. GTA's excellent radio stations have always made the Point A to Point B gameplay better than it really deserves to be.

Skyzard

Banned
Älg;171079703 said:
The shadows were more or less broken. They were of significantly lower quality than the rest of the shadows, and there were a lot of issues when you walking close to a car.

Here's some what the mod added:

Increased bloom. This went back and forth between releases. At one release it was so extreme that a single light source could bleed over the entire screen.

Permanent DoF. The DoF effect was already in the game; the mod only made it permanent. Purely and artistic choice.

Fog. Again, was already in the game. Artistic choice.

Colour grading and stuff. Artisti choice.

The only thing the mod added that wasn't already in the game was the shadows, and as I said, they were far below standard.

The improved lighting and shadows put the default game to shame really. Some mods took it too far but you could tweak it yourself with some tool. The increased bloom that resulted in the distance mostly was well, well worth it.
You had mods that could decrease the DoF too.
There were also NPC, extended distance and rain improvements.

Setsuna

The improved lighting and shadows put the default game to shame really.
You had mods that could decrease the DoF too.
There were also NPC, extended distance and rain improvements.

Any changes to lighting and shadows was due to the multitude of overdone post processing effects rather than actual improvements

sjay1994

Didn't see that E3 thread?

The reveal trailer was just a lie while the playable had terrible textures and crappy performance.

By playable, are you talking about the alpha which had ALPHA plastered on all the unifinished assets that was available on PC earlier this year, or are you talking about the T Hunt stuff they showed at e3?

Because if you are talking about the prior -_-

Also, people played the build that was used in the reveal and is apparently "fake". It was played by the public. There are matches of it being played uploaded to youtube and gametrailers.

So ubisoft made a playable lie then?

Harlock

I wonder how they will handle the PC version. Probably keeping releasing two weeks after the console version. This will serve both to bug fix and to avoid graphic comparison out of bag.

Crossing Eden

So why do you constantly tire yourself out trying to change the opinions of people who aren't going to change?

You would be much better off ignoring those comments, instead of fighting against them, because now people don't take you seriously because of your subtitle.
Well it's a discussion forum.

If "fanboy" isn't the right word, then perhaps "Ubisoft Apologist" is more apt. I'm not so much speaking about the posts you're responding to but moreso the fact that you are literally in every Ubisoft thread defending any Ubisoft game that gets mentioned. Maybe some of these statements are frustrating to read, but most people wouldn't go to every single Ubisoft related thread, track them down, and respond to them. Do you do this for any other developer\publisher? Or is it just Ubisoft?

If "fanboy" isn't the right word, then perhaps "Ubisoft Apologist" is more apt. I'm not so much speaking about the posts you're responding to but moreso the fact that you are literally in every Ubisoft thread defending any Ubisoft game that gets mentioned. Maybe some of these statements are frustrating to read, but most people wouldn't go to every single Ubisoft related thread, track them down, and respond to them. Do you do this for any other developerpublisher? Or is it just Ubisoft?

The answer's on his tag. Every Ubisoft thread, every single one I read, this guy's in it defending their sacred honour. Never see him doing the same thing with other companies.

Crossing Eden

If "fanboy" isn't the right word, then perhaps "Ubisoft Apologist" is more apt. I'm not so much speaking about the posts you're responding to but moreso the fact that you are literally in every Ubisoft thread defending any Ubisoft game that gets mentioned. Maybe some of these statements are frustrating to read, but most people wouldn't go to every single Ubisoft related thread, track them down, and respond to them. Do you do this for any other developer\publisher? Or is it just Ubisoft?
Read my posts history and you'd see me defending a lot of devs. Not solely Ubisoft. How about we act our age and avoid name calling? I'm not tracking these posts down. I read the article in the OP, then read the posts, and respond to some posts. You make it sound like I respond to literally every post in the thread.

The answer's on his tag. Every Ubisoft thread, every single one I read, this guy's in it defending their sacred honour. Never see him doing the same thing with other companies.
"Sacred honor."
giphy.gif

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ubisoft said:
“With E3 2015 we said, OK, let’s make sure the games are playable, that they’re running on the target machines. When we show something, we ask the team, make sure it’s playable, make sure gamers can immediately see exactly what it is. That’s what we learned from the Watch Dogs experience – if it can’t be played on the target machine, it can be a risk.”

Yeah, just like Tom Clancy's: Ghost Recon: Wildlands... OH WAIT...

Whenever people rant and complain about anything, even when the complaints are bullshit, no problem.

But like something a lot and discuss it on a discussion forum and you get called an apologist.

Crossing Eden

Whenever people rant and complain about anything, even when the complaints are bullshit, no problem.

But like something a lot and discuss it on a discussion forum and you get called an apologist.
Exactly. Example, most ubisoft related threads, pick one and it's always the same shit, someone makes a false blanket statement, all fine, I come in with facts and sources and the reply is almost always
"Lol look at his tag, i'm so clever."

like what's the point? Yes, I'm a fan of Ubisoft games, so what.

oni-link

Its a forum, you see the same few people in every VR thread, the same few people in Ubi threads, the same few people in Souls threads, people will talk and discuss and defend what they like, and there isn't anything wrong with that, I don't see how its productive to call anyone out, and it derails the thread

By playable, are you talking about the alpha which had ALPHA plastered on all the unifinished assets that was available on PC earlier this year, or are you talking about the T Hunt stuff they showed at e3?

Because if you are talking about the prior -_-

Also, people played the build that was used in the reveal and is apparently "fake". It was played by the public. There are matches of it being played uploaded to youtube and gametrailers.

So ubisoft made a playable lie then?

No, the E3 reveal. Whatever was playable at E3 had just terrible textures according to leaks on GAF.

It's just an example of them bullshitting with trailers and the game ends up looking worse.

I know Watch Dogs gets a lot of shit around here, but I had a lot of fun with it. Ignoring the narrative and graphics downgrade, I think it had some of the better open world driving and gun play in recent memory. I felt it controlled much better than say GTA5.

Protip: Yves isn't tasked with keeping one of the biggest monetary industries in the world running AND telling the truth to those smart, intelligent, hard-working customers. But it's cute to read all these responses from the suits after their board of directors tears them a 59'th you-know-what.

They should roll-back their development to the E3 vertical slice and just start making as many slices as they can. IDK I guess they failed in the conceptualization phase on this one

Exactly. Example, most ubisoft related threads, pick one and it's always the same shit, someone makes a false blanket statement, all fine, I come in with facts and sources and the reply is almost always
"Lol look at his tag, i'm so clever."

like what's the point? Yes, I'm a fan of Ubisoft games, so what.

I imagine it's less that you're a vehement fan and more that you conveniently and consistently ignore every conversation you don't like.

Here in this thread, and many threads before this, you state that "no one explains what their complaints are." You say this to dismiss them as bandwagoning or sheep-like complaints, people who aren't worth listening to because they aren't high-minded enough to be discussing these things with you. And yet people do expound on these things, frequently. You just ignore it because it doesn't fit into your narrative.

It's frankly gotten tiring. I don't even bother when you're involved anymore, after trying to explain my feelings on ACU several times to you, you simply leave the thread and then appear in the next one saying "No one can say why they dislike it!"

To put it more simply: it probably has a lot less to do with your inexplicable, heart-heavy preferences and more your inability to argue in good faith.

Top Bottom