• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zack Snyder's best film?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watchmen or Man of Steel.

Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake is all gloss. It is a terrible horror film compared to the original. It looks better than it actually is because there were even bigger remake shit shows clogging the Hollywood toilet like Rob Zombie's White Trash Direct-to-DVD Serial Killer BioWeen and A Nightmare Cash-in on Dune Street.

No, those two remakes happened way later. They weren't out at similar times at all. By the time the Halloween remake had come out, Dawn of the Dead's status as a legitimately solid horror film (and remake) was already pretty much in place.

Direct comparison to Romero's original is weird, because they're two very different movies. Romero's going for sledgehammer-subtle social commentary that has nice bursts of zombie gore here and there.

Snyder's basically riffing off ALIENS, but with Zombies.

The idea that Dawn of the Dead got a pass because Rob Zombie's remake made it look better is pretty much impossible, though. The timing just doesn't work out.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
No, those two remakes happened way later. They weren't out at similar times at all. By the time the Halloween remake had come out, Dawn of the Dead's status as a legitimately solid horror film (and remake) was already pretty much in place.

Direct comparison to Romero's original is weird, because they're two very different movies. Romero's going for sledgehammer-subtle social commentary that has nice bursts of zombie gore here and there.

Snyder's basically riffing off ALIENS, but with Zombies.

The idea that Dawn of the Dead got a pass because Rob Zombie's remake made it look better is pretty much impossible, though. The timing just doesn't work out.

They are all part of the remake trend. I prefer to just flush all the turds in the bowl. However, I will replace Shitmare and Turdween with The CW presents Texas Chainsaw and The Amityville Boreor

And the status of Snyder's Dawn of the Dead is still a hot topic amongst horror fans.

They are all part of the remake trend. I prefer to just flush all the turds in the bowl. However, I will replace Shitmare and Turdween with The CW presents Texas Chainsaw and The Amityville Boreor

And the status of Snyder's Dawn of the Dead is still a hot topic amongst horror fans.

Your puns kinda suck, man. Sorry.

The idea that remakes are a "trend" is hard to really take seriously, either, considering the history of Hollywood.

I remember Snyder's film being a sore point - before it came out. Once it came out, it pretty clearly broke down along the lines of "People who like horror movies" and "People who are Romero devotees."

Sometimes there's people who dislike the movies for reasons other than it's choices to stay away from Romero's tone/style completely. But by now, almost 10 years later, it's pretty well recognized as a decent horror film in its own right, even by some of those same Romero acolytes.

delta25

Banned
Dawn of the dead

tumblr_mvbcaxRALL1sbhxjro2_400.gif

Warhol

Neo Member
I'm going with 300. It really was a ground breaking movie in terms of special effects and action movies in general. It changed how action movies are presented since.

Watchmen is based off the greatest graphic novel ever written so I can't really award it the trophy even though it was extremely entertaining and gripping. It was going to be a great movie no matter who directed it because the source material is so great.

Jarnet87

Should we even give Synder credit for 300 and Watchmen? aren't they basically the graphic novels verbatim? I feel like any director told to do it this way could pull it off. I like both of these films by the way. Sucker Punch is one of the worst films of all time, and I laugh at any studio that green lights another project that is written and directed by this man

alterno69

Banned
I had no idea he was behind Dawn of the dead, it was a great movie but i think i enjoyed Watchmen more.

The worse is Suckerpunch by far, i was never a fan of 300 either.

So ranking only the ones i've seen...

Watchmen
Dawn of the dead
Man of Steel
Suckerpunch

Should we even give Synder credit for 300 and Watchmen? aren't they basically the graphic novels verbatim? I feel like any director told to do it this way could pull it off. I like both of these films by the way. Sucker Punch is one of the worst films of all time, and I laugh at any studio that green lights another project that is written and directed by this man

Yeah, you gotta give Snyder credit, precisely because they look the way they do and studios did NOT tell him to do it like that. 300 was seen as pretty fuckin risky before it came out, and there WERE changes to the story that were made - there were some panel-perfect scenes, but there's definitely a lot of stuff in that movie that wasn't in Miller's original.

And Snyder basically had to fight WB to get Watchmen to look like it did, and play like it did.

That aside - I don't feel like "any" director could have directed those two, as they're very much stylized in a way that not many other directors seem able to pull off, even IF they were directly ordered to do so.

Loxley

You don't sound at all like you're trying really hard to avoid paying Snyder a compliment. You honestly think he was told to direct 300 the way he did? Are you even familiar with what the director's job is?

300 and Watchmen has amazing style and direction, so yes. Even Sucker Punch is well directed, despite it's story.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Your puns kinda suck, man. Sorry.

The idea that remakes are a "trend" is hard to really take seriously, either, considering the history of Hollywood.

I remember Snyder's film being a sore point - before it came out. Once it came out, it pretty clearly broke down along the lines of "People who like horror movies" and "People who are Romero devotees."

Sometimes there's people who dislike the movies for reasons other than it's choices to stay away from Romero's tone/style completely. But by now, almost 10 years later, it's pretty well recognized as a decent horror film in its own right, even by some of those same Romero acolytes.

There is no need to put any effort in insulting something as bad as the stinkers I mentioned. Uninspired cash-in's don't deserve it.

Saying there has always been horror remakes doesn't negate the fact that there is a trend that arguably started with the awful Amityville remake of regurgitating horror flicks from the 70s and 80s.

And I don't care who likes Snyder's Dawn, there are fans for everything. The fact that there are vocal supporters doesn't mean that there aren't opponents. The movie still gets a lot of flack in horror circles.

Das Ace

Watchmen, for probably being his most proficient.
Dawn of the Dead, for the balls to do it as his first film.
300, because I have a soft spot for it.

Man of Steel is shit-tier.

Haven't seen the others.

There's more to directing than following a script, especially concerning Snyder.

Decado

1) 300
2) Watchmen
3) Dawn of the Dead

His other films are just so so bad. The guy needs to go back to making stylish R-rated action flicks.

300 and Watchmen are among my favourite comic book films.

300 9/10
Watchmen 9/10
Dawn of the Dead 8/10
Superman 8/10
Legend of the Guardians 7/10
Sucker Punch 6/10

Legend of the Guardians in incredible looking, and teaches good values like kill your brother when you have the chance.

It's amazing how many people seem to not know what goes into directing a film. Earlier this week we had somebody say anybody could have directed Schindler's List as it is and that it was the subject matter that made the film successful.

There is no need to put any effort in insulting something as bad as the stinkers I mentioned.

Then just use their names. It's like arguing with a Mad Magazine parody right now :)

Saying there has always been horror remakes doesn't negate the fact that there is a trend that arguably started with the awful Amityville remake of regurgitating horror flicks from the 70s and 80s.

And I don't care who likes Snyder's Dawn, there are fans for everything. The fact that there are vocal supporters doesn't mean that there aren't opponents. The movie still gets a lot of flack in horror circles.

Again, I don't think it's so much a trend as it is the simple forward march of time. Studios are remaking 70s/80s films because they're old enough now to be regarded as grist for that particular mill. The people in charge at those studios remember them from their childhoods, much in the same way filmmakers in the 70s/80s were remaking 50s horror movies. It wasn't really a "trend."

Look, I'm not saying there aren't people who dislike it, or even that they're THAT small a minority. But I am saying that the general consensus seems to be that Snyder's "Dawn of the Dead" is a decent horror film. Of course there's going to be people who disagree, and they have their reasons, and they shouldn't be dismissed simply because they might not be a majority. But just repeating that the movie "Gets a lot of flack in horror circles" doesn't necessarily prove or disprove anything. I don't think it gets that much flack. Not anymore. But then again, I probably don't run in the same horror circles you do.

BadAss2961

Haven't seen the owl thing, but Snyder's filmography is a list of awesomely fun movies. That includes Sucker Punch.

Try putting 3 panels of a comic book together. Any comic book. Cyanide and Happiness even. Try to get the performers, get them dressed, get the set, then get them to "act" the way you think the characters should act and get the right timing for the joke.

Ninjimbo

Watchmen is his best simply for being the most subversive. It's a different kind of superhero movie. A film steeped in nihilism with a grand scope. There really isn't anything like it.

Runner-up: Man of Steel. As far as directing goes, it's Snyder's best work so far. The only thing holding it back is that it's a little conventional. Watchmen leaves the stronger impression for being so unique.

Xero

You seem to pick and choose what you want to believe. Before amityville, house on haunted hill and 13 ghosts had remakes. If anything I would say the trend started with the huge popularity of Scream in 1996. It essentially made horror mainstream and fun again. Their will continue to be remakes for many years to come for your small horror circle to be angsty about, so best learn to understand thats its simply a part of the way things are.

Watchmen is his best simply for being the most subversive. It's a different kind of superhero movie. A film steeped in nihilism with a grand scope. There really isn't anything like it.

Runner-up: Man of Steel. As far as directing goes, it's Snyder's best work so far. The only thing holding it back is that it's a little conventional. Watchmen leaves the stronger impression for being so unique.

Not even close

Dead

well not really...yet
Watchmen Director's Cut
Man of Steel
Sucker Punch Extended
Dawn of the Dead
Owls of Ga'Hoole

Xero

as for snyder I'm a fan despite all his criticisms. I love slow mo actions scenes because I love to see everything I can during fight scenes, I had some problems with man of steel but i still loved it. Dr manhatten scene is one of the greatest film moments. such a beautiful scene.

watchmen
man of steel
legend of the guardians (not amazing but underrated and gorgeous)
dawn of the dead (my girlfriend watched the shit out of it and kinda burned me out on it.)

I've never seen Dawn of the Dead or Legends of the Guardians.

Sucker Punch was awful.

Watchmen is a mixed bag for me. It's phenomenally ambitious, and you can tell Snyder and the screenwriters absolutely adore the source material. BUT some of the scenes just plain don't work, or are tonally completely wrong; most of the extended action scenes for example. To balance this out, I like most of the casting (Ozymandus aside), the opening credits are great, and it has several stand-out scenes (the ending works brilliantly as a substitute for the original).

300 hasn't quite held up for me in the years since it was released, although I still think it's a fantastic film.

...I actually might say MoS is his best film

Jarnet87

You don't sound at all like you're trying really hard to avoid paying Snyder a compliment. You honestly think he was told to direct 300 the way he did? Are you even familiar with what the director's job is?

Yeah, you gotta give Snyder credit, precisely because they look the way they do and studios did NOT tell him to do it like that. 300 was seen as pretty fuckin risky before it came out, and there WERE changes to the story that were made - there were some panel-perfect scenes, but there's definitely a lot of stuff in that movie that wasn't in Miller's original.

And Snyder basically had to fight WB to get Watchmen to look like it did, and play like it did.

That aside - I don't feel like "any" director could have directed those two, as they're very much stylized in a way that not many other directors seem able to pull off, even IF they were directly ordered to do so.

After looking at 300, I felt like that style and look was sort of built in to the graphic novel. Watchmen yeah I'll retract, he did a great job with that.

I'M FINISHED!

Again, I don't think it's so much a trend as it is the simple forward march of time. Studios are remaking 70s/80s films because they're old enough now to be regarded as grist for that particular mill. The people in charge at those studios remember them from their childhoods, much in the same way filmmakers in the 70s/80s were remaking 50s horror movies. It wasn't really a "trend."

Whether or not Dawn of the Dead is loved by a majority of horror fans is debatable, and like you, I think it is mostly irrelevant anyway. I do think that dismissing the horror trend craze that started in the 00's by mentioning that there were some horror remakes from the 80s doesn't change anything about what happened in the 00's.There is a clear difference, and instead of blabbing about them, I will just show you. I think the output speaks for itself.

Here is a list that I snagged from the killermovies.com forum. This list complies horror/thriller remakes from the 80s, 90s, and 00s.

The Thing (1982)
The Fly (1986)
Little Shop of Horrors (1986)
The Blob (1988)
The Pit and the Pendulum (1990)
Night of the Living Dead (1990)
Cape Fear (1991)
Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
The Vanishing (1993)
Body Snatchers (1993)
Piranha (1995)
Village of the Damned (1995)
Humanoids from the Deep (1996)
The Island of Dr. Moreau (1996)
The Shining (1997)
Trucks (1997)
Godzilla (1998)
Carnival Of Souls (1998)
Psycho (1998)
The Mummy (1999)
The Haunting (1999)
House on Haunted Hill (1999)
They Nest (2000)
Thirteen Ghosts (2001)
The Shaft (2001)
Red Dragon (2002)
Insomnia (2002)
Carrie (2002)
Ring (2002)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
The Toolbox Murders (2003)
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
The Grudge (2004)
Dark Water (2005)
2001 Maniacs (2005)
The Fog (2005)
House of Wax (2005)
The Amityville Horror (2005)
Ring 2 (2005)
When A Stranger Calls (2006)
The Hills Have Eyes (2006)
The Wicker Man (2006)
The Omen (2006)
The Hitcher (2006)
The Grudge 2 (2006)
Pulse (2006)
Wizard of Gore (2007)
Black Christmas (2007)
Halloween (2007)
I Am Legend (2007)
Prom Night (2008)
April Fools Day (2008)
One Missed Call (2008)
The Eye (2008)
Shutter (2008)
Funny Games (2008)
Quarantine (2008)
It's Alive (2008)
Mirrors (2008)
Train (2008)
Attack of the Giant Leeches (2008)
Long Weekend (2008)
Friday the 13th (2009)
My Bloody Valentine 3D (2009)
Last House on the Left (2009)
Children of the Corn (2009)
Night of the Demons (2009)
The Uninvited (2009)
Sorority Row (2009)
The Crazies (2009)

The 00s are the new standard. Call it what you will, but it is nothing like the 80s, and Snyder's Dawn is certainly a part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom