• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zack Snyder's Rebel Moon: Part Two - The Scargiver | Rotten Watch

Draugoth

Gold Member
rebel-moon-parte-2-e-considerado-pior-do-que-o-primeiro-filme-106716.jpg

Rebel Moon - Part 2: The Marker of Scars recently premiered on Netflix and, as with the first part, it wasn't very well received by critics.

The sequel, directed by Zack Snyder, is available on Rotten Tomatoes with a score of only 14% (based on 29 reviews), of which 4 are "Fresh" and 25 "Rotten". On the same site, the first movie had a score of 21%.

Rotten Tomatoes:

• 16% (58 Reviews)- 3.6/10 average rating
  • 45% - Audience Score
N52boSY.png

Metacritic: 36/100 (21 Reviews)

T6oUWBW.png

Reviews:

DEADLINE
Zack Snyder’s Space Opera Descends Even Further Into A Black Hole Of Nothingness: Slow-motion scenes that sputter story pacing? Check. Poorly developed characters? Check. Plot holes bigger than the Milky Way? Check.…And we’re back, with part two of Zack Snyder Netflix space opera Rebel Moon-Part Two: The Scargiver You might be shocked to hear this, but part two manages to somehow be worse than part one. It’s biggest crime? Nothing happening for way too long
Variety :
‘Rebel Moon — Part Two: The Scargiver’ Review: An Even More Rote Story, but a Bigger and Better Battle. The second chapter of Zack Snyder's intergalactic epic is every bit as derivative as "Part One," but the climactic showdown sizzles. And guess what? It may not be over.
The Hollywood Reporter:
‘Rebel Moon — Part Two: The Scargiver’ Review: Zack Snyder, Netflix, Rinse, Repeat
If you thought the previous installment was all build-up, you may be distressed to learn that the follow-up is…a lot more build-up. Although this time it’s a little faster-paced and leads to an extended battle sequence comprising roughly the film’s second half. It’s hard to tell, however, since Snyder employs so much of his trademark slow-motion that you get the feeling the movie would be a short if delivered at normal speed"
IndieWire (D)
The Second Half of Zack Snyder’s Sci-Fi Debacle Is Almost as Disastrous as the First. Any real hope for the second part of Snyder's Netflix epic has been dead since last December, but it's still shocking to discover just how lifeless this movie feels.
IGN (4/10)
The second part of Zack Snyder's Rebel Moon space opera, The Scargiver, delivers a half-baked conclusion to a well-trodden story with flimsy character studies and lacklustre action.
Guardian (3/5)
Rebel Moon almost certainly didn’t need to be two multiple-cut movies. It probably could have gotten by as zero. But as a playground for Snyder’s favorite bits of speed-ramping, shallow-focusing and pulp thievery, it’s harmless, sometimes pleasingly weird fun. (That said, the first part is better and weirder.) The large-scale pointlessness feels more soothing than his past insistence on attempting to translate Watchmen into a big-screen epic, or make Superman into a tortured soul. Even Rebel Moon’s shameless attempts at serialization – The Scargiver essentially ends with another extended sequel tease, this time for a movie that stands a decent chance of never happening – feel freeing, because they excuse Snyder from the uncomfortable business of staging an apocalyptic showdown, or, worse, imparting a mournful philosophy. The whole bludgeoning enterprise is so daftly sincere, you could almost call it sweet.
San Francisco Chronicle (5/10)
Does its conclusion make up for the gluten overload that was most of “Rebel Moon”? Well, the series’ not-at-all-original theme is redemption, so that depends on whether you’re in a forgiving mood or sufficiently wowed.
Independent (2/5)
The Scargiver is at least basic enough to feel relatively inoffensive; the first film’s uncomfortably vague deployment of racist and sexual violence has been reduced to a single reference to the empire’s hatred of “ethnic impurity” (never to be picked up again). There’s a heck of a lot of religious imagery – including an ironically Christ-like resurrection for Noble and a troupe of evil cardinals – that never actually impacts a single plot point or theme. Of course, Snyder may argue that this is all covered in some spin-off book, comic, or video game. Or maybe in the six-hour cut. But what fun is a film that tries to force you to consume more content? That’s not art. That’s blackmail.
Collider (3/10)
Not only does neither part of Rebel Moon work, but The Scargiver is such a downgrade that it could prove difficult for the franchise to bounce back for more. The story narrows itself so comprehensively that it scrambles to reach for a dangling thread in a forced closing conversation. That Snyder has expressed his interest in making not only another film but instead a potential six movies in total may excite those who also appreciated his earlier work. For those who have now seen these two, it feels more like a threat rather than a tease.

Empire (2/5)
Marginally better than Part One, but still a weird, messy and humourless sci-fi that gives you little reason to cheer the potential continuation of this Snyderverse.
Telegraph (UK) - 2/5
But nothing here or in the previous instalment will make you give the slightest fig who wins. Yes, the world of Rebel Moon is richly imagined, even if its origins as an aborted Star Wars project still remain far too obvious. In place of storytelling, though, it’s built on unwieldy lore dumps: we’re given hundreds of details about this galaxy far far away, but no reasons to care about any of them.
Slashfilm - 4/10
Snyder once again displays his usual knack for crafting the occasional breathtaking visual and colorful splash page — a kiss silhouetted by the Veldt equivalent of magic hour, a spaceship foregrounded by an eclipsing star, and a stunning tableau of lasers crisscrossing in the heat of battle are memorable highlights — but his insistence on serving as his own director of photography continues to hold him back at every turn.
Release Date: April 19, 2024
Synopsis:
Rebel Moon — Part Two: The Scargiver continues the epic saga of Kora and the surviving warriors as they prepare to sacrifice everything, fighting alongside the brave people of Veldt, to defend a once peaceful village, a newfound homeland for those who have lost their own in the fight against the Motherworld. On the eve of their battle the warriors must face the truths of their own pasts, each revealing why they fight. As the full force of the Realm bears down on the burgeoning rebellion, unbreakable bonds are forged, heroes emerge, and legends are made.
Starring:
  • Sofia Boutella
  • Djimon Hounsou
  • Ed Skrein
  • Michiel Huisman
  • Doona Bae
  • Ray Fisher
  • Staz Nair
  • Fra Fee
  • Elise Duffy
  • Anthony Hopkins

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Focus groups are directional but never ever close to reality. And that assume Zach Snyder know the true raw scores and opinions from the focus group. And not the fudge numbers or deleted low scoring questions marketing managers do when recapping to the rest of the office the tallies.

I've heard it all. For those you who dont know how focus groups work, you're probably thinking the group is asked a bunch of reasonable questions, they answer them and then the company or market research adds up the scores. Yes and no. A focus group can have 30 questions, but the final tally might be them picking the top 10 scoring questions so it averages out to 8.5/10. If all 30 questions were included, it might be a 7/10. So when you see shit like "test scores show it tasted great 9/10 score", guess what? Even if that's true, what you didn't know is they excluded the answer that said "it smelled terrible 9/10 times".

Also, focus groups always seem to score high. I've never hard of any product tested bad. And there's no way every company Ive worked at makes killer products each time. They will have a knack of scoring high to be nice to the hosts.

You can tell, focus groups mean shit because look at all the crap products out there in life which you'd think in the back of your head there's no way a focus group would say it's great. But it's still on store shelves.

Hugare

I usually like his movies, some of them are really great, imo (love Watchmen and Dawn of the Dead)

But man, Rebel Moon was one of the worst movies that I've seen in a while. Mediocre in all fronts.

Snyder is talent, but he should be far away from writting anything. Netflix gave him a free pass to do whatever he watns and he came up with this shit.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I'm one of those sad bastards that still likes a Snyder movie with a load of beers, he made one of the best zombie flicks ever as his directorial debut ffs... No not that Vegas one, the other one and 300 was the bomb when it came out, plus I enjoyed Man of Steel and the Snyder cut of Justice League, personally I'm holding off to watch the R rated versions of these cause if they're still shit at least there will be added gore and violence

Better than part 1, but that was one of the worst films I’ve seen in my life, I would give this maybe a 3 or 4/10.

The first half of this (part 2) really didn’t need that much slow motion wheat cutting, the first 60 minutes could easily have been 20.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
The more he speaks, the more it becomes painfully apparent he's got terminally online disease. He's trying to get people to like his movies by claiming he's not part of the Hollywood machine. It's pathetic.

Rebel Moon has done nothing but completely tarnish whatever good reputation he had as a film maker to anyone other than his most loyal cult members.
I'd really like to know what goes sideways with movies like this with a director like him. I mean Watchmen and Men of Steel are some of my favorite movies, very well made, he has a very good eye for visuals, but this Rebel Moon is just pain to watch. Assistants, cinematographer missing or what is wrong?

Last edited:

Yerd

I kept noticing the pretty lady always in the background, Astrid. I had to look her up.

Sisse Marie.

I've loved some of Snyder's movies, I've hated some of his movies.

But bring back the Snyder that gave us the sexy babes of Sucker Punch, this looks pretty dull in comparison.

I didn't know Sucker Punch was a Snyder movie. I absolutely hated it. Sexy sluts can't even make me watch it ever again, and I'm a thirsty loser.

FunkMiller

I'd really like to know what goes sideways with movies like this with a director like him. I mean Watchmen and Men of Steel are some of my favorite movies, very well made, he has a very good eye for visuals, but this Rebel Moon is just pain to watch. Assistants, cinematorgrapher missing or what is wrong?

He can’t write. At all. The more a project is his own , the worse it is.

Toons

Snyder is getting to be near wachowskis level of "why do studios keep giving these folks money"

What a terrible film this is. An overly long farming sequence, made longer by being in slow-mo, that they keep going back too, with each forgettable character getting thier own slow-mo close up hero shot

WE GET IT, MOVE PAST THE FARMING PLEASE

Yerd

Rebel Moon
Asteroid City
Dune
Star Wars

Sci-fi just really sucks lately.
I haven't seen Asteroid City yet, but it's a Wes Anderson movie. I can't in good conscience consider it sci-fi. It might be a fictional story based in science, but it's still not sci-fi.

bitbydeath

I haven't seen Asteroid City yet, but it's a Wes Anderson movie. I can't in good conscience consider it sci-fi. It might be a fictional story based in science, but it's still not sci-fi.
It features aliens and made up future tech, but the story is rubbish.

"The Scargiver" is a terrible subtitle.

Pathetic. Everything about Rebel Moon feels exactly like what a focus group would come up with. It's a princess! But get this: she's a badass warrior! She's fighting for generically oppressed people! In a genre-blending mess designed for maximum four-quadrant appeal!

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
With Part 1 being a very popcorny sci-fi flick, Part Two is much much better, to the point where it is decent. Not amazing, decent.

But doesn't hold a candle to something like Dune.

I kept noticing the pretty lady always in the background, Astrid. I had to look her up.

Sisse Marie.

I didn't know Sucker Punch was a Snyder movie. I absolutely hated it. Sexy sluts can't even make me watch it ever again, and I'm a thirsty loser.
Sucker Punch is a weird love it or hate it movie, if you keep in mind it's literally just an excuse to string together a series of cool action scenes, set to music, almost like music videos and just enjoy the ride for what it is, it's a lot of fun, it's like the closest we ever got to a proper third Heavy Metal film in spirit.

And what's there of the story and characters isn't BAD, just thin, but it gets the job done.

It's really weird people reacted so negatively or just ignored it all together, we deserve the bland, boring, TV style dogshit that are MCU movies and such today, than the pure spectacle of Sucker Punch and how well the action set pieces were crafted.

Snyder maybe took the criticisms of the shallowness too to heart because ever since he's gotten really pretentious, the Snyder of Dawn of The Dead, 300 and Sucker Punch was just good clean "fuck yeah!" entertainment, his take on DC was boring, bloated and pretentious as heck, Rebel Moon looks to be more of the same, just pure yawn, he needs to embrace fun again instead of trying to convince us he's a deep thinker, which he's not, he's a frat guy who's good at crafting good popcorn entertainment at his best.

Where I'll give him some respect is still trying to be a "name" director with a vision as directing is increasingly becoming anonymous work for hire jobs for blockbuster cinema, in which things are going full circle, can you name who directed The Wizard of Oz?

Last edited:
I quit the film because after the painfully slow, long and stupid slow-mo farming scene, everyone got a slow-mo flashback scene and a fucking Harry Potter hippogriff turned up, I laughed and re-watched Once Upon a Time in America

The only thing this film has done is made me want to watch the StarWars prequel trilogy again

Looking at images of these movies over, I'm appalled how lifeless this looks compared to Sucker Punch, just totally bland and boring stuff, as most everything these days.

What is going on? Remember when things looked cool? Why does modern culture hate interesting visual design so much?

It's sad to see this happen to Snyder, the culture decline of this last decade and change is very real and very worrying.

Toons

Looking at images of these movies over, I'm appalled how lifeless this looks compared to Sucker Punch, just totally bland and boring stuff, as most everything these days.

What is going on? Remember when things looked cool? Why does modern culture hate interesting visual design so much?

It's sad to see this happen to Snyder, the culture decline of this last decade and change is very real and very worrying.

Sucker punch never looked amazing to me tho in fairness I've not seen the full film.

Its visual aesthetic is the full on smorgasbord of overly edgy mid 2000s evanescence music video, wierd muted greenish color grading with all characters wearing all black all the time. Not my thing

Sucker punch never looked amazing to me tho in fairness I've not seen the full film.

Its visual aesthetic is the full on smorgasbord of overly edgy mid 2000s evanescence music video, wierd muted greenish color grading with all characters wearing all black all the time. Not my thing
It's still a hell of a lot more interesting than Rebel Moon, which looks like a generic fake movie within a movie.

2000s things had STYLE and then that just disappears, alongside people getting really shitty asshole attitudes, what happened?

Toons

It's still a hell of a lot more interesting than Rebel Moon, which looks like a generic fake movie within a movie.

2000s things had STYLE and then that just disappears, alongside people getting really shitty asshole attitudes, what happened?

Eras come and go in entertainment, we've had a few since that one that became the thing and then faded out. There were eras before it too that lost luster. A lot of folks came to reject the style of the time as being too tryhard.

Id say the prevailing visual aesthwtic you see now goes for more "realistic" grittiness so you see more cityscapes, more colors presented as if in such lighting and whatnot

For another look to take over it has to have an example or two that make a lot of money and becomes a big success.

Aa for people, people have always had terrible attitudes toward certain things, they just maybe hid it better and there wasn't social media to air out their petty grievances.

Top Bottom