• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda BotW DLC Pack 1 Detailed (Hard mode, trials, clothes, custom fast travel point)

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
The main issue with this DLC is that you're forced to buy it if the 2nd one is good and there's no way to buy them separately.

I'd just wait and see if you really don't want the first pack. Who knows if they'll decide to offer them separately once the 2nd one is out, or further down the road after it's release?

Pinky

Banned
Phantom Armor and Tingle's Outfit! What???? :O

And I'm assuming completing the Trial of the Sword will make the Master Sword unbreakable.

Hard mode is hugely disappointing.
Nintendo had a good track record with previous dlc from pikmin 3 and mario kart 8 but this is awful.
Making enemies sponges and calling it a day when they are charging people for a hard mode is just awful.
I presumed that since they were charging for it they would make a decent hard mode, make enemies do more damage, new locations and mix things up with enemy variety, even adding a new threat with a new enemy.

The game becomes far too easy after a few hours and i presumed they would fix this somehow, at least fx the broken cooking system, especially with durians and radishes.
when i read new enemies/treasures in the sky i presumed a new type of enemy but they've simply stuck the same ones on rafts tied to balloons, it's lazy and not something i expected for paid dlc.

The rest of the dlc sounds fine and they all seem like good additions but when the real meat of this download was supposed to be the hard mode it looks like almost no effort went into it, i really hope hard mode has a lot more to it than what we are seeing here...

Arkam

I wasn't expecting too much from the first DLC (based on the initial info) and am pleasantly surprised. Those armor sets/masks will be some great fun. Hope the cause more unique NPC reactions... especially the Tingle one :p

That map tracker sounds like the Bees knees, will be great to see where I have been and how much time I am spending there. I am positive it will highlight places I have walked by again and again.

Listonosh

dual audio is great news

DLC sounds cool but I think I'll wait for the story one to buy

Unless you're waiting to spend the same amount of money later, you might as well just get it now. You can't buy the DLC packs separately so it'll cost you the same no matter what

Peltz

Nintendo had a good track record with previous dlc from pikmin 3 and mario kart 8 but this is awful.
Making enemies sponges and calling it a day when they are charging people for a hard mode is just awful.
I presumed that since they were charging for it they would make a decent hard mode, make enemies do more damage, new locations and mix things up with enemy variety, even adding a new threat with a new enemy.

The game becomes far too easy after a few hours and i presumed they would fix this somehow, at least fx the broken cooking system, especially with durians and radishes.
when i read new enemies/treasures in the sky i presumed a new type of enemy but they've simply stuck the same ones on rafts tied to balloons, it's lazy and not something i expected for paid dlc.

The rest of the dlc sounds fine and they all seem like good additions but when the real meat of this download was supposed to be the hard mode it looks like almost no effort went into it.
Other than hard mode all the other additions should be free updates, and with hard mode simply being sponge enemies and a few moblins on rafts then it looks very bad.
As it stands unless hard mode has a lot more to it then what we are seeing here then it's a joke, even the trials in this title won't really be fun as the enemy variety is so low.

It does seem a bit underdeveloped. But I'm sure the second DLC pack will have more content. This first one is more of a bonus pack for what I assume is going to end up being an additional meaty dungeon or something.

oti

Banned

The rest of the dlc sounds fine and they all seem like good additions but when the real meat of this download was supposed to be the hard mode it looks like almost no effort went into it, i really hope hard mode has a lot more to it than what we are seeing here...

Hard mode to you means new locations?

What? Who said that hard mode was supposed to be the "real meat" of DLC 1?

boiled goose

good with gravy
Unless you're waiting to spend the same amount of money later, you might as well just get it now. You can't buy the DLC packs separately so it'll cost you the same no matter what

Waiting is better since you don't know what you are buying yet.

The stuff announced would have been nice during initial playthrough, but the sucky hard mode doesn't justify diving in again.

Again, here's hard mode for you:

- Limit yourself to six-to-eight hearts.
- Use unupgraded armor totaling no more than 10 defense.
- Turn off those really nice unique abilities.

Viola! The game becomes just as hard as it was when you first started, only now you have that special sword and a bit more knowledge. I'm a tried and true gamer, I've beat Dark Souls I and II. I have the Steam achievements to prove it.

boiled goose

good with gravy

maybe he meant new camps which would be in line with Hardmode.

Viola! The game becomes just as hard as it was when you first started, only now you have that special sword and a bit more knowledge. I'm a tried and true gamer, I've beat Dark Souls I and II. I have the Steam achievements to prove it.

They could have coded this in with orbs giving you less hearts and stamina.

kunonabi

Which is still piss easy.

It does seem a bit underdeveloped. But I'm sure the second DLC pack will have more content. This first one is more of a bonus pack for what I assume is going to end up being an additional meaty dungeon or something.

I really hope your correct because i honestly thought nintendo would put effort into the hard mode as they are charging for it.
The second dlc will have to be more than one meaty dungeon to make up for this in my mind, have 2 or 3 very well hidden dungeons in the world then it would make up for this.
I'm shocked that hard mode doesn't even mix things up a little more with enemy camps or change the cooking in any way, that's surely the most basic thing to do with hard mode your charging people for.

sorry that came out wrong, i meant new enemy locations and new camp formations which make the game more challenging.
stick mini barricades on roads with those spikes and place enemies near the only way through or something....just add something different.
And hard mode to me was going to be the real meat of DLC1, it's purely my opinion.
Other players would want more armour sets but for me i just wanted a more challenging game which mixed things up a little.

The stuff announced would have been nice during initial playthrough, but the sucky hard mode doesn't justify diving in again.
Exactly, i thought their plan was to give players a decent reason to play through again by mixing the game up with enough changes to warrant a second play through, simply making enemies sponges and sticking a few of the most common enemies enemies on rafts is not enough incentive to replay such a long game.

trixx

The hard mode does not sound very good. Here's what they should of done, either make the menus occur in real time like dark souls or lock the pause menu when you're in combat. As far as food goes, place it on one of the directional keys(replace whistle with food/elixers that can be hotlinked), give link an eating/drinking animation in real time. Boom, combat becomes much harder. Fix cooking so that meals replenish less hearts

Then you work on the enemies
what game isn't piss easy then?
i have no problems finishing the dark souls game with my left hand tied behind my back and i thought this game was decently challenging.
Give a new player this game and souls and they would have a much harder time with souls. Souls is easy once you know what you're doing, otherwise nope. I've been surprised so many times during my first current playthrough of souls games

Zelda is more difficult than previous entries for sure, I've died many times. Also make a penalty for death, lose rupies or something.

Listonosh

Waiting is better since you don't know what you are buying yet.

Ah good point. I thought he originally meant that he'd just buy the story DLC, meaning as a separate purchase. But yeah, your example makes a lot of sense.

They could have coded this in with orbs giving you less hearts and stamina.
They could have but you can still use or not use as many as you like...

Which is still piss easy.
I mean, name me a game you don't smoke most of its encounters with time and practice? XCOM is great, but not every game needs that kind of math. Mileage varies. I've found using "the six heart method" makes even Blue Bobkins deal 4 heart damage swings, giving you a two-hit death threshold for most encounters...

You're also not required to pick up hearty radishes or cook with them either, despite the convenience. I appreciate the variety, and I'm preeeetty sure its large and diverse audience does as well.

Effect

I just started playing the game. Is the English dub as bad as I hear? If so, which language should I go with?

The English dub is fine. Gaf is known for being hyperbolic on pretty much everything. Now you might or might not dislike some accents being used but the performance is overall fine. Give it a listen first for yourself and ignore any negative comments on it.

boxter432

hard mode was one bullet point of many, and the costumes were not even included in the list. your expectations were too high vs what Nintendo presented months ago.

kunonabi

They could have but you can still use or not use as many as you like...

I mean, name me a game you don't smoke most of its encounters with time and practice? XCOM is great, but not every game needs that kind of math. Mileage varies. I've found using "the six heart method" makes even Blue Bobkins deal 4 heart damage swings, giving you a two-hit death threshold for most encounters...

You're also not required to pick up hearty radishes or cook with them either, despite the convenience. I appreciate the variety, and I'm preeeetty sure its large and diverse audience does as well.

Zelda doesnt take much time and practice though. Once you get the flurry rush and parry timing down every fight plays out the same way. Its all just really simple reads and reactions. Enemies doing large chunks of damage or taking more danage just doesnt make any substantial difference.

Lol Nintendo making you pay for this shit.

If this was any other company you lot would be talking about how money hungry they are.

Bit disappointing. I must've put near 200 hours into the game since it launched, I need boss fights and more permanent weapons goddamit.

AEREC

Any ideas on how hard mode will work? Will you have to start a new game or will you just change your current play through to hard when you feel like it?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Zelda doesnt take much time and practice though. Once you get the flurry rush and parry timing down every fight plays out the same way. Its all just really simple reads and reactions. Enemies doing large chunks of damage or taking more danage just doesnt make any substantial difference.

While this is true, the health regen on enemies is going to force people to be more aggressive and use their stronger weapons.

Any ideas on how hard mode will work? Will you have to start a new game or will you just change your current play through to hard when you feel like it?

No idea yet on that one. I'm hoping they'll allow you to start a new save that doesn't overwrite your current one. If they did that, I'd gladly start a new playthrough just to mess around with the harder difficulty and some of the new outfits.

If things stay as they are right now, you would need to start a brand new save file and give up your current progress which is a bummer. There's also the option of making a new "profile" to play the game under, but then you have to deal with the Switch asking which profile you want to use for every damn game.

so1337

Hero's path sounds like a game changer. Hestu better ready up because I'm bringing seeds.

edit: I'm dumb. Didn't see the Korok mask. THAT is a gamechanger.

kunonabi

While this is true, the health regen on enemies is going to force people to be more aggressive and use their stronger weapons.

Considering how quickly you damage enemies by bulldoging > flurry rush/parry I dont see the regen making that much of a difference unless its a really high rate of regeneration. I mean id like to think this is going to be better thought out than it appears but considering how they approached things in the main game I kind if doubt it.

So what exactly does this does to the MS once you finish the trial?

It makes it so that the sword is always "powered up" with a higher attack stat, more durability, and a cool glowing look. Normally you'd only see that in Divine Beasts and Hyrule Castle.

kunonabi

So what exactly does this does to the MS once you finish the trial?

wording seems to indicate full glow and damage but the sword still breaks. Which makes no sense with their bullshit excuse for making it suck in the first place and their description of the trial but whatever.

Krakatoa

wording seems to indicate full glow and damage but the sword still breaks. Which makes no sense with their bullshit excuse for making it suck in the first place and their description of the trial but whatever.

When you say break. Do you mean re-charge? As I thought it was impossible to break the Master Sword.

Pejo

Ahhh bummer. I was only considering this DLC if the MS buff made it indestructible. Sucks.

Also, hard mode looks like one of the laziest implementations they could have chose. Higher rank mobs and health regen. =(

I was really hoping they reworked the AI to cooperate better with each other, or at least mixed up encounters a bit at the locations where the same mobs always spawn.

I don't feel that this is worth my 20 bucks. I'll wait and see with the story content DLC later.

StAidan

The hard mode is pretty disappointing, I think I'll just ignore it and do my replay the way I originally planned, 3 hearts and armorless.

I'm a tried and true gamer, I've beat Dark Souls I and II. I have the Steam achievements to prove it.

First of all, lol.

Viola! The game becomes just as hard as it was when you first started, only now you have that special sword and a bit more knowledge..
Uhhh... yeah, a self-imposed hard mode is nothing compared to what a proper mechanically driven hard mode COULD be were they to put in the effort.

Well you don't even know what all you're getting for DLC. Might still be a bit premature to make this conclusion

That's right and I'm fully expecting the second DLC to be more of a traditional DLC/expansion but as it stands most of the stuff in this DLC should be added through a free update imo, and in many other games it would have been.

I hate the idea of imposing arbitrary restrictions on myself to make a video game more challenging. It feels completely artificial. Single player video games aren't some journey toward self-fulfillment for most people, so it's a waste of time. I want a challenge crafted by the game's designers just like they crafted the original masterstroke of a game. Especially if you're charging me 20 dollars for it.

Josh7289

Doesn't it seem weird to charge money for hard mode and a custom fast travel point?

On most other games wouldn't those be considered bullet points in a free patch?

You're getting a lot more than just those two features when you buy the expansion pass. It doesn't make sense to just single out those two features and ignore the rest.

pringles

Considering this is payed dlc and Nintendo, people were expecting more from hard mode.
I honestly think there will be more to it. The whole platforms/chests in the sky indicates it's not as lazy as just tweaking some HP modifiers and making all enemies 1 tier higher.

Osukaa

Aww yeah!

05_tinglesoutfit.jpg

Got Damn... anything with more Link Booty is a plus in my book.

I have a problem

Top Bottom