• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Launch trailer, JP boxart, March 3, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

13ruce

Banned
If this Link is the fallen Hero of Time resurrected 100 years after OoT in the Downfall Timeline, it stands to reason that the Princess Zelda of this game is the same Zelda from OoT as well.

With that in mind, this context adds another layer to her breaking down in the trailer and feeling that "all she's done was for nothing."

This would be the same woman who's been trying to stop Ganondorf since she was a child, only to end up playing right into his hands and causing the kingdom to fall into his rule. Then she tried again seven years later with Adult Link, and if this is the Downfall Timeline, ended up getting him severely wounded or killed and resulted in Ganondorf to go from being a human to a demon/"Calamity."

So, with all of that in mind, no shit she breaks down sobbing. Anyone would do that- male or female.

Regardless if this is the OoT Zelda or not, I don't think she is actually going to be kidnapped though. The E3 demo from last year indicates that she's the bright light emitting through the Calamity Ganon at the top of Hyrule Tower and has presumably been sealing him for the past century while Link recovered.

Between that, her breaking down and blaming herself for (presumably) the destruction of the land and that scene of her purifying herself at the pool (all of which could very well be flashbacks), I think Zelda has opted to sacrifice herself and her freedom by acting as the long-term seal on Ganon this whole time.

If this turns out to be the story then this game is the best Zelda game ever.

Zips

I can work with this plot. Will be annoyed if zelda dies in the past and is only there for spiritual support in the present. Don't see how this can be any link from any past game but would love oot link but might actually be skyward sword. Plan to get this in may so hopefully i dodge spoilers and switch is more widely availaible by then.

The only alternative I can think of is that Zelda in blue tunic is also from the past, and her and Link's time together after fleeing the city is longer than it might have seemed. In that case the old woman's voice narrating at the start could be her in the present, 100 years older.

She does have that blue tunic scene where she seems excited to see (presumably Link) again, but I guess that could be from either time if they spend more than just a frantic escape together in the past.

ckaneo

So if im not mistaken, the 4 dungeons are actually the four bosses. Meaning you enter the bosses to defeat them. At least that's what it appears to be.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
When Bloodborne came out, it was pretty common to see people reveling in the sense of adventure it provided. It was a pleasure just to walk around in that game. It was a pleasure to see the sights and face the unknown and uncover the mystery. Bloodborne gave a lot of people a feeling they hadn't felt for a long time. It was the feeling that, to play the game, you were actually submitting to it. The game was bigger than you. You weren't just playing to beat it, you were playing to come to wholly understand everything it contained.

I sometimes struggle with explaining what constitutes an adventure. It's not just a journey, the where you travel from one place to another. It's not just a narrative that tells you an engrossing story. The feeling of adventure, of going on one and being on one, is a rare experience. I think, the better you get at games and the older you get, the harder it is to feel that feeling again. I remember thinking A Link to the Past was an adventure. I remember even feeling like Super Mario 64 was an adventure. It was the feeling that you didn't know where the game was going, or when it would end, or what you would find or what was coming next. These games don't feel that way for me anymore. I know them too well.

I remember seeing threads here from Soulsborne players wishing modern Zelda was more like those games. I always thought this was misguided. I feel as though that was a misinterpretation of the emotion playing a game like Soulsborne conjures up.

It's the feeling of knowing you want see something, without knowing exactly what it is, but trusting it will be delivered to you if you persevere. It's the feeling that you just can't stop because you might miss something. That's the feeling Bloodborne gave me. That's the feeling Zelda used to give me.

That's the feeling this trailer gives me.

There's plenty of posts here from people saying the trailer is making them emotional. It's making them teary or making their heart beat faster. This is the Nintendo Magic I never thought I'd feel again. I thought I had outgrown it. I thought I would never be humbled by a game like Zelda again. But here I am, breathless like a ten year old, knowing that there is something out there that I need to go out and find. Breath of the Wild is going to take me somewhere. I don't know where, but I won't miss it.

This needs to be seen by more people. You're 100% right.

Majora's Mask is one of my Top Ten favorite games of all time. I really haven't had many others fall into that list since then... until Bloodborne.

The similarities in "feel" are exactly as you've described.

Caelus

This Link being right-handed complicates things if this is meant to be a Link from a previous game. I suppose they could have it be the same Link from LoZ and AoL, who aren't consistently depicted with being of either hand, and it would sync with the concept of Calamity Ganon as a recurrent evil.

ckaneo

This Link being right-handed complicates things if this is meant to be a Link from a previous game. I suppose they could have it be the same Link from LoZ and AoL, who aren't consistently depicted with being of either hand, and it would sync with the concept of Calamity Ganon as a recurrent evil.

The timeline was never that serious lol

The Hero of Time is right handed in the Wii version of Twilight Princess, so it's not really a huge deal and it's not something they're always consistent with.

Zips

I'm down with this. If this is the case, how come she didn't age?

Could be for any number of easily-given reasons. Most likely either "magic" since she's special, or something more like her being in stasis for a long time much like Link.

If, for instance, she is/was that light sparkling from the castle, then presumably she could be released at some point - maybe when the barrier falls. Or she just escaped after setting up the barrier and then froze herself like Link at some other facility. She wakes up with her memories intact because she wasn't dead when she went in.

Onikaan

Ok - looks like Ganon turns the Guardians against the kingdom and they start demolishing everything. Link is protecting Zelda, making an embattled retreat/escape from the city ("Save my daughter"). Zelda obviously breaking down at the sight of her kingdom being demolished and the defenses she helped put together being used against them ("All I've worked for..."). Link is fighting the onslaught and is killed while protecting Zelda (battered Link w/ damaged Master Sword), allowing her to escape and/or set up the barrier.

Dirty clothes Zelda is from cutscenes of the past during the escape. Zelda in blue tunic is her in the present.

That's my guess. I've been wrong just about every time so far, but I have a good feeling this time!

This interests me greatly. Especially after seeing this;

aCAW55.jpg

Red clothing, Upside down Sheikah mask (Anti-sheikah?) Link's enemy.

Looks like Ganon did more than turn the guardians. Unless this enemy is some kind of cult.

Sorry RagnarokX, I just saw your post reading back through the thread.
wearing red, an upsidedown mask of truth, and ganon tusks. Seems like an anti-sheikah.

I agree as you can see.

balgajo

This interests me greatly. Especially after seeing this;

aCAW55.jpg

Red clothing, Upside down Sheikah mask (Anti-sheikah?) Link's enemy.

Looks like Ganon did more than turn the guardians. Unless this enemy is some kind of cult.

Sword have a bit of that cool Fierce Deity's shape.

osake

Neo Member
It'd be lovely if you could run into a Robin Williams tribute character at some during the game, I can see this game making me cry for sure.

CassSept

C'mon son!

I'm just absolutely loaded with work in the coming months and constantly out of town in early March so Switch being portable helps things a little, while I would have all the time in the world in June, so that's basically a little selfish wish here.

I still can't wait for it an I'm positively stunned it's that early, I figured if it did come out in March it would have been at the last possible moment (like 3DS), not 3rd of March.

Mouse Cop

The greatest trailer I've ever seen. Now, I need to know the differences between Switch and WiiU. I preordered a Switch just in case, because I will let nothing hinder my experience of this game. I haven't felt this way about a game since the Twilight Princess reveal. Zelda has finally stepped up everything. SS had a great story and story telling, but the game play was really bad, this game seems to take some old school gameplay mixed with that great storytelling. I only have exactly two worries:

1) differences between consoles to know which one Im getting

and

2) how many dungeons there are and the boss fights. Dungeons are what make Zelda, Zelda for me. I've seen 4 thrown around, and if they are huge dungeons I'll accept that. If what the poster before me said is true, that there are only 4 dungeons and they have no boss fights. It might be the single most crushing blow this game could take.

balgajo

I'm just absolutely loaded with work in the coming months and constantly out of town in early March so Switch being portable helps things a little, while I would have all the time in the world in June, so that's basically a little selfish wish here.

I still can't wait for it an I'm positively stunned it's that early, I figured if it did come out in March it would have been at the last possible moment (like 3DS), not 3rd of March.

I still don't believe that we are 1.5 months away. I embraced the rumored june delay....XD

gogojira

Who all is getting the big fancy edition and is it worth it? That sword looked bent as fuck but I ordered one anyways lol.

What is my life even about.

Keyouta

I won't be buying a Switch at launch, I'm trying to gauge whether I want to get this for Wii U, or just wait and get it when I buy the Switch.

vsMIC

finally watched the new trailer ... damn, this is in a league of its own. fantastic! hopefully the game lives up to it. day one.

zeldablue

Ok - looks like Ganon turns the Guardians against the kingdom and they start demolishing everything. Link is protecting Zelda, making an embattled retreat/escape from the city ("Save my daughter"). Zelda obviously breaking down at the sight of her kingdom being demolished and the defenses she helped put together being used against them ("All I've worked for..."). Link is fighting the onslaught and is killed while protecting Zelda (battered Link w/ damaged Master Sword), allowing her to escape and/or set up the barrier.

Dirty clothes Zelda is from cutscenes of the past during the escape. Zelda in blue tunic is her in the present.

That's my guess. I've been wrong just about every time so far, but I have a good feeling this time!

Everything sounds right...except the last part. I think she was wearing blue before the white Hylia outfit.

I'm not so sure I know how she "exists" in the present. :C

xtianmarq

The music from 2:52-3:14.... just... WOW. Hair standing on the back of my neck.

The presentation last night really threw my plans for this game into turmoil but... I've gotta figure out some way to play this game.

Amazing trailer. Well done, whoever put this together from Nintendo. The pace, the editing, the music. 10/10

I am right there with you man. They really knocked it out of the ballpark with this one.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
This is what got me too...Zelda seemed to have so much character. Im so glad they went with a more story driven game instead of the "choose your own link" people were clamoring for last year

Agreed, I haven't thought of Link as just an avatar in a long time. Don't make Link a Mass Effect-style avatar...ever.

This, on the contrary, is the way to go in a Zelda game. I really like this.

JMZ555

game looks amazing but this really is the only game id pick up on switch untill mario.

Bad as it sounds, Im debating buying one to play zelda then sell straight away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom