• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Launch trailer, JP boxart, March 3, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm the more I watch the trailer the more I'm convinced that all of the scenes with Zelda are in the past, she rescues you from dying but unfortunately she's trapped in the castle with calamity Ganon. But she gives you the slate beforehand for safe keeping. Then you wake up and form the Link Crew (them standing in the desert area together) to save Hyrule while Zelda communicates with you telepathically. The scenes with her could be story cutscenes as you learn about the past.

But maybe the castle being enveloped in darkness stops time from passing inside, or it passes fairly slowly (as slow as resting chamber) and you will ultimately come to help her.

If that's the case I'm disappointed that once again she's not part of the regular game until crucial moments. Spirit Tracks may have not been perfect but having her with you was fun.

I think the main thing that tells me the scenes in the past are with Zelda as the trailer builds up the scenes after "let me tell you what happened 100 years ago" and then slowly returns to present time scenes. And the old man being the father/King in the present time telling you to rescue her could make sense. Though I'll reiterate I hope this isn't the case and that maybe one of the scenes of Link with Zelda are in the future.

rgnine

Breath of the Wild has me reinvigorated in the franchise again. Will BotW be foreign to someone who fell off after Majora's Mask first released? Any recommended reading/videos to help me catch up on the story? Thanks in advance.

Breath of the Wild has me reinvigorated in the franchise again. Will BotW be foreign to someone who fell off after Majora's Mask first released? Any recommended reading/videos to help me catch up on the story? Thanks in advance.

The story of the games are all self contained, barring obvious sequels (like ocarina -> majora). I think you can go look up some videos on the timeline, which will give you a better understanding of possible backstories, races, and things like that. But if you only play this, you will only lose nods to fans.

Immobile

Neo Member
Hmm the more I watch the trailer the more I'm convinced that all of the scenes with Zelda are in the past, she rescues you from dying but unfortunately she's trapped in the castle with calamity Ganon. But she gives you the slate beforehand for safe keeping. Then you wake up and form the Link Crew (them standing in the desert area together) to save Hyrule while Zelda communicates with you telepathically. The scenes with her could be story cutscenes as you learn about the past.

But maybe the castle being enveloped in darkness stops time from passing inside, or it passes fairly slowly (as slow as resting chamber) and you will ultimately come to help her.

If that's the case I'm disappointed that once again she's not part of the regular game until crucial moments. Spirit Tracks may have not been perfect but having her with you was fun.

I think the main thing that tells me the scenes in the past are with Zelda as the trailer builds up the scenes after "let me tell you what happened 100 years ago" and then slowly returns to present time scenes. And the old man being the father/King in the present time telling you to rescue her could make sense. Though I'll reiterate I hope this isn't the case and that maybe one of the scenes of Link with Zelda are in the future.

Kind of, in my opinion all the princess Zelda (white dress, champion outfit) scenes are probably in the past because we can see Link without the sheika slave and only the master sword on his back when he is with her.

King of hyrule tells Link to protect her, he dies/gets hurt, after they flee, the master sword is also in bad shape here, Zelda puts Link in the chamber. Zelda also leave the sheika slave there and the game starts 100 years later.

In the trailer (the present when the deku tree is talking) we can see link about to pick the master sword in a perfect state. (it is the present because he have the sheika slave, random shield, random sword and quiver) No clue of zelda in the present. Only her voice (Open your eyes blah blah..)

zeldablue

You can skim some scans of Hyrule Historia or buy it to catch up. But honestly...there's a good chance nothing about the other games will matter too much, aside from tiny glimpses of fan service/nods to previous titles.

-MB-

Kind of, in my opinion all the princess Zelda (white dress, champion outfit) scenes are probably in the past because we can see Link without the sheika slave and only the master sword on his back when he is with her.

King of hyrule tells Link to protect her, he dies/gets hurt, after they flee, the master sword is also in bad shape here, Zelda puts Link in the chamber. Zelda also leave the sheika slave there and the game starts 100 years later.

In the trailer (the present when the deku tree is talking) we can see link about to pick the master sword in a perfect state. (it is the present because he have the sheika slave, random shield, random sword and quiver) No clue of zelda in the present. Only her voice (Open your eyes blah blah..)

It is pretty clear from the few tidbits we heard about beign said he lost his memories, that these scenes with Zelda in it are mostly about Link starting to restore his memories as hes progressing through the storyline.

Immobile

Neo Member
It is pretty clear from the few tidbits we heard about beign said he lost his memories, that these scenes with Zelda in it are mostly about Link starting to restore his memories as hes progressing through the storyline.

My biggest fear with the game is that Zelda only appears in the past (in those memories) that would be really bad :/

You can skim some scans of Hyrule Historia or buy it to catch up. But honestly...there's a good chance nothing about the other games will matter too much, aside from tiny glimpses of fan service/nods to previous titles.

I never paid much mind to whether or not this series has a definitive timeline. To me, the games each represent a retelling of the same story, with embellishments on the peripheral side, but the main themetic beats of Link and Zelda vs. Ganon being present. I did watch a youtube video of someone who painstakingly pieced together the chronology of the entire series, but I never felt that it was important to rely on knowledge of the previous game to keep me up to speed on the game I was playing.

Immobile

Neo Member
Have we already seen the four major story bosses? Are they going to be at the end of each huge dungeon

It is only a rumour for now but the trailer shows 3 of the four major bosses (again it is only a rumour for now, maybe there is more.) you "desactivate them" and go inside like a zelda dungeon to purify them from the calamity ganon.

ckaneo

Have we already seen the four major story bosses? Are they going to be at the end of each huge dungeon

Im pretty sure the prevailing theory is that they are the dungeons.

We've seen the bird ship, the salamander, and the camel. The elephant is yet to make an appearance. Although if I had to guess

Bird Ship - Air Dungeon -
Salamander - Fire Dungeon -
Camal - Sand Dungeon -
Elephant - Water Dungeon -

zeldablue

You know what it is...

It's just going to be a remix of Skyward Sword. x___x
First Hyrule is attacked and Zelda does her girly run. Link and Zelda meet up and travel together. Zelda then decides to start purifying herself and wearing the white/holy dress so that she can make a strong seal and hold the Calamity at bay. She'll be sacrificing herself but whatever. Link helps guide her to all the areas with Hylia's statue, to pray and get prepared. (Which is also where we'll find the flashback prompts in the present)

At the end of their journey they're attacked by guardians. something crucial gets ruined, Link and Zelda run for it. Link lets go of Zelda's hand. Zelda has a break down. Link is attacked and badly injured/can't move. The Master Sword is weakened and the guardian's pointing a laser at Link's head. Zelda uses her magic to lessen the Guardians next hit. Then, in the next scene Zelda struggles to pull Link up.

Link dies shortly after from injuries? Zelda does the rest of her preparation by herself. :C

In the present day Zelda is probably in a piece of amber holding the seal of Calamity Ganon somehow. When you kill the boss she'll be awakened and everything will be great.

Probably. I think that's as likely as it can get. Hopefully those flashbacks have gameplay involved. Even if it's minimal, it would make me happy.

I haven't read the entirety of this thread, so maybe someone has come up with similair ideas, but here's what I'm thinking.

Ganon suddenly awakens and starts consuming Hyrule castle. In a last-ditch effort, Zelda and Link travel to the past to prevent this from happening. They fail, however, and Zelda puts Link in a coma to protect him. He will have slept for 100 years when he is finally awakened by Zelda's spell/communication. He has no recollection of what happened though.The world is basically post-apocolyptic, with the kingdom in ruins. Link then encounters the Deku Tree, who remembers him from the past. The Master Sword is there, rusted, a relic of the past, now a tool to travel back in time. It was probably put there by Zelda. The king tells him about what happened, and asks him to save his daughter. Where is Zelda? I don't know. Perhaps she simply is in the castle, but I think it'd be cooler if she was trapped in the past. Hopefully you'll be able to save her at some point, so she becomes a bit more involved in the plot.

People love Zelda (the character) to bits man. Just look at the reactions online to her. They're head over heels. They should definitely give her a bigger, active role, and I'm pretty sure they won't kill her off. So yeah, that's my guess for now.

We've seen the bird ship, the salamander, and the camel. The elephant is yet to make an appearance. Although if I had to guess

Camal - Sand Dungeon -

They might not count as the dungeons but I guess some or all will be enterable, I think the indoor shots with a reddish hue and giant cylinder shapes will be from inside one or more of these.

Cerium

The fountain Zelda is bathing in in the trailer is the same one from Skyward Sword, and the implications would seem to imply plot relevance.

I would kind of say that reviewing Skyward Sword's plot outline might be helpful going forward in general.

No. Cause it's not like OOT

word. this thing is a survival, stealth, rpg, action/adventure, open-world, snowboarding, sandsurfing, platformer, with puzzle elements, and deeper tactical combat than the franchise has ever seen, all wrapped around a physics engine which is also a giant leap forward for the franchise

if the wide array of systems all come together in a way to form engaging moment to moment gameplay with calmer sections to recover/prepare, and enough of that core Zelda soul.. well needless to say this will be a special game

I'm really curious what the battle with Calamity Ganon will be like. He's so different that past iterations of Ganon that hope they get weird and epic with it.

clearly all of the main dungeons or massive guardian beings you clear/defeat/repair are associated with various races and one main ally from each will come to your aid for the final battle depending on how many you chose to tackle

more curious about what the musical instrument will be and the purpose itll serve (please let there be one). maybe the whistling for a horse stuff leads you to become a super dope whistler

I'm really curious what the battle with Calamity Ganon will be like. He's so different that past iterations of Ganon that hope they get weird and epic with it.

Same here.

I'm hoping for multiple forms/several boss fights.

Woah. Hadn't seen that trailer either.

You know, I don't think I've been so hyped for a video game since Ocarina of Time. BOTW just looks incredible.

Nintendo can make all the stupid decisions in the world, I had no problem dropping hundreds of dollars to play this on day 1.

Agreed :)

Hopefully not and hopefully there are tons of bosses, both in dungeons and on the overworld to make it the ultimate Zelda game having the most of everything!

So does this game have a real shot of satisfying fans of Ocarina of Time?

I think so!

The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time is my favorite Zelda game so far, with Twilight Princess coming in at a close second - so if this game is better than both of those combined; we're all in for a real treat!

Camal - Sand Dungeon -

But what's interesting is that we see Link also floating into what looks like a dungeon entrance in the mountainous/frozen region
yaqI6dj.jpg

But what's interesting is that we see Link also floating into what looks like a dungeon entrance in the mountainous/frozen region
yaqI6dj.jpg

I thought the same thing - there is no way that could just be there for decoration without being an entrance to something special.

This day and age, most game companies - in their trailers and interviews - reveal most everything about their game. Nintendo has always been really good at playing things close to their chest, so there is great hope that Breath of the Wild will have an unbelievable amount of unexpected content that we weren't privy to in the interviews and trailers!

Kevin

2:38 seconds in to the VGA Awards Zelda gameplay footage, looks like another dungeon location in the jungle area:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nMnc4P_DOk

6mBGCar.png

So I don't think the mechanical beasts are the main dungeons but I could be wrong. Who knows... would also assume that the statue in there would potentially be a warp point.

So I suppose that is one of the bosses?

Love how it's like SOTC in scope. So epic.

I don't think there are even open world games that really try this sort of thing outside of SoTC (which is Bizarre because unbelievably Huge Bosses love open worlds) and I think one thing that BoTW does to add to these bosses is that there are easily identifiable landmarks to compare them to. Remember the thing we saw on Death Mountain, that sort of initial intrigue and mystery, followed by potential terror after the first guardian likely roasting the player is brilliant gameplay design.

2:38 seconds in to the VGA Awards Zelda gameplay footage, looks like another dungeon location in the jungle area:

So I don't think the mechanical beasts are the main dungeons but I could be wrong. Who knows...

Yeah I think they call that a shrine but it looks a lot more mysterious that the regular ones. Then there's that scene in the trailer where he's activating a giant Sheika pumpkin or something, what's that about?

Aonuma says a lot of things.

I still think she is playable.

Essentially this is why:

Zelda in her outfit with pants gives me a playable character vibe.

Aonuma's initial "What if Link's not male" comment had no real explanation - he says he regrets saying it, but never explained why he said it. He's not Ono, he doesn't just go WHO SAID WE WERE REVEALING AKUMA

Her clothes are super close to Link's, she has a sword, and her amiibo has a Sheikah slab. Aonuma did not talk about this at all when he was showing the amiibos and quickly moved on from Zelda to the Bokoboblin when he spent like two minutes on every other amiibo.

She also has multiple clothing models, including what is essentially an underwear model, like Link has when he has no equipment on.

Zelda was in development during Nintendo's "Let's put playable female characters in our games because we want to attract female gamers" initiative. You might remember this from 2013 on, they made a real effort to have a playable female character in most of their games. Mario, Tropical Freeze, Pikmin, Hyrule Warriors, etc.

Also supposition, but:

The original rumors that mentioned voice acting and the dungeon structure also mentioned a female playable character. If you did not know that was Zelda, it could easily be misconstrued.

Also my own thoughts/theory from the timeline thread:

But if he is wearing the blue clothes in flashback then that leads credence to my other crazy theory: That the real Link, whether its OOT Link or not, really did die in flashbacks. And you are just a random person who sees it happen and/or picks up the Master Sword after the real Link dies. Thas why the Master Sword is rusted, because you aren't Link and its rejecting you.

To go with another theory of playable girl Link, and this has my bias because its my dream, especially in such a huge world as this. At the begining of the game, the person who picks up the sword after Link dies is randomized, atleast between the "Link" we see and the "Zelda". And thats the biggest secret that Anouma has been hiding but subtly hinting at. From the "that may not be Link" at E3 2014 to even pointing out the similarites of Link and Zelda's design on the Switch Treehouse. And as someone thats dreamed about this moment, I have to ask, why do they look so similar? Link and Zelda have NEVER looked so similar to each other, its really similar. If they had showed "Zelda" in the trailer with the same clothes but with sword/shield everyone would immediately go "female Link???" but everyone seems to be ignoring their similarities. In what we believe to be "present" scenes from the trailer she even has Link's trademark sideburns, which she doesn't have in any scene when she's not wearing the blue clothes. If my theory is true these two could easily be siblings where one is put to sleep 100 years to infuse "Courage" and the other "Wisdom" and stories roles are reversed depending on what character you get. Can you imagine starting the game, it saying "Wake up Link" and then a girl wakes up? You'd wonder if your high or something at that point lol.

But Anouma does listen very carefully to fans so he knows at this point people want a playable girl Link. So this could be his way of doing it without actually making a girl Link and ruining his idea of Link. I can even see text from a future game saying "remember that story of BOTW? How did it go? The boy in blue saved the world...or was it the girl in blue? The ancient texts seem to tell the story differently from different sources." (Of course this means she'd likely never show up in another game, but if any game needs a girl Link its this one! RIP in piece girl Link in Smash.)

The end of the game would be completing the previous Link's quest and if OOT, creating the two successful timelines.

Theres just too many similarities between Link's new design and Zelda's new design that I really can't help but to feel like something like this will play out.

Theres been too many hints that I have to believe. Even if a harsh truth comes crashing in my face.

If it is in I hope its not a new game plus thing unless you can somehow activate it on your first playthrough. I'd be rushing the game and I don't wanna do that!

So I don't think the mechanical beasts are the main dungeons but I could be wrong. Who knows...

Interestingly, there's no typical shrine entrance but rather a Goddess Statue. Perhaps there's Sheikah shrines with the sci-fi theme and then Hylian Shrines that follow traditional Zelda design templates?

That would give the 100+ shrines some variety.

LotusHD

Banned
It's one thing to think she'll accompany you to some extent, but jumping to thinking she's actually playable comes across as confirmation bias tbh, if I go off of several of the posts I've seen here.

I'm not asking this to cause any controversy, I just honestly want to understand why - in a "The Legend of Zelda" game - anyone would want to play as someone other than Link??

Why is this such a sought-after feature? Again, I'm only asking because I've never even remotely thought about that being something I would ever want in a Zelda game.

takriel

I'm not asking this to cause any controversy, I just honestly want to understand why - in a "The Legend of Zelda" game - anyone would want to play as someone other than Link??

Why is this such a sought-after feature? Again, I'm only asking because I've never even remotely thought about that being something I would ever want in a Zelda game.
Same here. I wouldn't mind playing as someone else in a spin-off, though.

Or as Zelda for story reasons.

Maximus.

I feel like giving a honest answer for this would lead to a large backlash. I adore the character of Link and agree, I don't understand why people want the hero to change.

LotusHD

Banned

Why not? I'd be more than willing to see what they'd do with a playable Zelda/Sheik for example.

Hell, I'm with people that want a female Link (No choosing your gender, go big or go home), or even Linkle as well; good amount of storytelling potential there imo

I have no qualms about playing as Link "forever", he's cool, but they could at least change things up every now and then...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom