• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Open Air Duology vs God of War Norse Duology - which do you prefer?

Which duology do you prefer?

• Total voters

LakeOf9

Sony and Nintendo both put out cool ass duologies of their fantasy action adventure series that they rebooted with more RPG elements last gen. God of War 2018 and God of War Ragnarok led the charge for Kratos into Norse mythology and a more adventure and exploration oriented style of gameplay; Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom led Zelda into an era of open worlds and emergent gameplay, relying more on player agency, and creativity driven solutions to the problems the game poses.

Both duologies have been extremely well received:

GOD OF WAR:

• God of War (2018): 23 million units sold, 94 Metacritic
  • God of War Ragnarok: 15 million units sold, 94 Metactitic
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA:

• The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: 33.3 million units sold, 97 Metacritic
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom: 20.28 million units sold, 96 Metacritic
Which of the two do you prefer, and why?

GymWolf

God of war by a landslide.

Vastly better combat, boss fights, trash mobs, story and characters and challenge.

Last edited:

Pejo

I haven't played Ragnarok yet, but God of War's spectacle is usually second to none, which I appreciate in that type of game. The Zelda games have their moments of awe, but I think God of War does it better.

As far as other metrics,
  • God of war
    • MUCH better combat.
    • Better story.
    • Graphics, obviously.
  • Zelda
    • More variety and more novel content (puzzles, shrines, physics puzzles etc).
    • More alive world.
    • Variety of equipment
    • An entire race of redheaded tanned tomboys.
iu

Overall, I give the win to Zelda just because it will still be just as good of a game in 10+ years, whereas I feel GoW will feel dated.

IAmRei

Zelda, for the gameplay and art style
I can write essay, but nah, you know why, most people also have their own preferences. This just one example, i prefer zelda botw and totk. To each to their own

Last edited:

yurinka

God of war: better visuals, combat, gameplay, weapons (that don't break), soundtrack, narrative, lore and story plus modern motion capture and voice acting.

I know it was something new to many Nintendo users, but I got tired of Ubisoft open world games and Monster Hunter cooking crafting a generation or two ago.

Last edited:

CashPrizes

I am a definite Sony backer, I think Nintendo's output is generally lackluster, and have not even played TotK yet.....
But Breath of the Wild is an astounding achievement. God of War 2018 does not even compare.

I beat God of War, did not quite 100% it, found the itemization boring and only killed half the Valkyries and probably stopped at 80% through fire world gauntlet. The narrative is pretty good, that opening Baldur fight is one of the best boss fights ever, and the "one shot" directing style is fantastic (disappointed it breaks when moving between worlds). But yeah other then that I don't think the game is super amazing, it is a solid 9.0 or high 8. I really greatly prefer Ghost of Tsushima, Uncharted 4, Last of Us 1 + 2, Horizon Zero Dawn and Forbidden West. As far as Sony 1st party 3rd person cinematic games go.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
God of WAR

NOT open world, Real visuals, vastly superior combat, a story that matters and has an emotional impact, gore, amazing rogue mode in Valhalla, better characters, better boss fights.

Last edited:

gow3isben

God of War inarguably has superior Combat, story, characters, graphics, bosses, set-pieces music.

Far superior overall.

Zelda has better puzzles and exploration if you are into that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Hudo

Zelda by far. The nu-God of War games killed any interest in the IP I had.

That being said, if they ever release a game where I can kill Atreus in a variety of ways, and Kratos becomes the god of fucking war again, I'm gonna buy it.

HL3.exe

Even though I'm not into anime, definitely Zelda on this one. (and I don't even like the previous iterations)

Just for the sheer technical and design ambitions. BOTW/TOTK pushes physicality in games and open-ended problem-solving forward with a substantial leap, and on a 2015 powered tablet no less.

I liked GoW enough. Even if the self seriousness grated on me a bit, the character ark development was executed well. The PS360 level crawler with lite Metroid elements where fun enough, but it didn't leave a lasting impression overall.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Zelda mostly because of its emergent, multiplicative gameplay due to they chemistry/physics, It could also work even if the story was more linear.

The world and character of Zelda are also far better.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I have only played the first of each. With that limited experience, I say God of War. I got more enjoyment from that than Zelda, which was more about frustration at pointless mechanics and emptiness.

Zathalus

If we were just comparing God of War and Breath of the Wild I would have leaned towards God of War. Tears of the Kingdom was a way better sequel then Ragnarok though, so comparing the duologies I say Zelda is better.

Top Bottom