• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Skyward Sword Spoiler Thread: Retelling the Legend without the black bars

Anth0ny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hwq0H16UGY&feature=channel_video_title

Yeah, I loved the whole ending sequences beginning with it. I laughed my ass off at his dance. lol

Looked like a combination of this

tumblr_lpfkprVjS21qmfoslo1_500.gif

and some Michael Jackson moves. I was cracking up.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I don't know what TSA has against Ghirahim, because he's just awesome all around. Great boss fights, great character. Just great stuff.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
I don't know what TSA has against Ghirahim, because he's just awesome all around. Great boss fights, great character. Just great stuff.

I think TSA is overly critical (about this entire game, and I really am beginning to agree with some points BigOne was arguing), but I can understand the complaint that a passive villain isn't the most frightening or threatening. By the end, however, he is awesome.

When I read that TSA also didn't like Zant because he turned out to be a weakling, I realized that I was going to like Ghirahim. I liked when Zant made the change to a psychotic, overly emotional coward seemingly desperate to kill you with his attacks.. It's just too bad that Ganondorf was kind of an afterthought.

Bit-Bit

Thank god, I've been waiting for this thread.

So yeah, Zelda being Hylia was pretty fucking awesome. Then when Link got all three Triforce pieces on his hand, I damn near shit my pants.

Also, you guys know how Zelda induces her thousand year sleep as punishment? Well, I restarted the game on Hero Mode, and in the beginning, as soon as you meet Old Impa, you can look behind her at the cracked door and actually see Zelda in her crystal! Mind fuckin blown.

Gummb

I know there has to be suspension of disbelief at some point, but this shit annoyed me. Dude can clearly summon IMPASSIBLE BARRIERS AT ANY GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION HE DESIRES, yet does not create a simple barrier that would stop Link dead in his tracks. Nope.
Ganondorf does the same thing at the end of Twilight Princess. Plus, this is a videogame.

Also I really want to debate you on your review now, as I went back and read it, and I have to say, your complaints are odd. I respect your opinion, but I'm confused how linearity is a negative in this game as it leads to a pacing that is unmatched in Zelda's history. Additionally, the world structure is not sparse. Skyloft and its surrounding islands has a lot to do in it, and the underworld stuff is the most dense traveling locations Zelda has ever seen. I'm also left confused about your complaint that there are design inconsistencies. Care to elaborate without fear of spoilers?

Tuck

Hm. I figured the Oocca were the advanced race that had their civilization in the desert, at some point going up to the sky. Granted, they look different, but I donno. Maybe they were cursed into chicken form. I think I'd like that more than them just because chickens because the gods have a weird sense of humor. Besides, they were quite technological.

Donno. Just speculating. I guess the people remaining in skyloft turning into chickens could be plausible.

Anth0ny

Ghirahim was okay at best. He's definitely better than Zant, and Ryusei Nakao voicing him is the greatest thing in the history of ever. But I tend to agree with TSA's thoughts:

TSA said:
Ghirahim, the Villain

He is absolutely the worst villain to ever grace this series. Go ahead, get upset. His theatrics and flamboyant nature DOES NOT MEAN HE IS A GOOD VILLAIN. It comes off as incredibly stupid, and you never fear this guy. He has no development, either. All you have to go on is what he says, that he's some Demon Lord. You never, ever see him do anything evil other than just try to fight Link. Villains who are evil just because the story says they are evil are some of the most shallow, worst villains imaginable. I discussed this with another reviewer, who saw people on several boards comparing Ghirahim with Kefka. They are not on the same level, not even close. We actually see Kefka do terrible things (poison the water, betray people, straight up murder comrades, etc), and we know he is insane and an evil bastard because of his actions. Ganon, after what we saw in The Wind Waker, was at least a flawed being we could sympathize with. He was fighting for something, even if he was misguided and twisted by hate. Ghirahim is nothing compared to these villains, even Vaati is a superior villain whom I had more respect for. If I don't care about the main villain or have any real fear from him, all the tension goes out the window. Nintendo failed miserably with him.

He shows up as the boss of the first dungeon. I fuck him up. He vanishes until the temple of time. Does nothing there. Then, he shows up at the 6th dungeon. I fuck him up again. Finally, we're at the end of the game, where he finally captures Zelda. Really not much going on there.

I love his voice, his design, his flamboyance and all three of his boss battles are a blast. But as an actual character... pretty weak.

Hero

I know there has to be suspension of disbelief at some point, but this shit annoyed me. Dude can clearly summon IMPASSIBLE BARRIERS AT ANY GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION HE DESIRES, yet does not create a simple barrier that would stop Link dead in his tracks. Nope.

Why did it matter, the ritual was successful regardless? The whole game he looked down on Link and was pretty much toying with him.

Feep

Banned
Why did it matter, the ritual was successful regardless? The whole game he looked down on Link and was pretty much toying with him.
He was clearly not confident in his ability to succeed; he commanded those goblin troops with significant urgency.

Also I really want to debate you on your review now, as I went back and read it, and I have to say, your complaints are odd. I respect your opinion, but I'm confused how linearity is a negative in this game as it leads to a pacing that is unmatched in Zelda's history. Additionally, the world structure is not sparse. Skyloft and its surrounding islands has a lot to do in it, and the underworld stuff is the most dense traveling locations Zelda has ever seen. I'm also left confused about your complaint that there are design inconsistencies. Care to elaborate without fear of spoilers?
I want to explore a large world with tons of hidden secrets, and discover hidden areas. The linear structure just shuffled me along through (admittedly excellently designed) corridors. It's easy to make the case that previous Zelda's do this as well, and they do, but they disguise it better, and there is still a connecting world without that feeling of proceed-straight-ahead. Besides, I disagree with the tight pacing, anyway. The five parts of the Eldin key, those two slow power generator rooms in Lanayru desert, the Water Temple backtracking, the Faron Woods musical note hunt, the repeat fights with the Imprisoned...this is filler stuff, and hurt the pacing badly.

I completely disagree with there being lots of stuff to do. I was bored as hell in the sky. Bamboo cutting and bug finding were boring; skydiving was all right but I needed to do a boring fetch quest first, and there were several of those boring fetch quests, not only in Skyloft but in the main game. The amount of quality overworld/side content is significantly less than any preceding Zelda since before LttP, I think.

I mentioned a few of the design inconsistencies in the review directly: we thrust forward to insert a sword, turn the sword, then...hit A? I consider the lack of IR functionality a problem as well.

Gummb

Ghirahim was okay at best. He's definitely better than Zant, and Ryusei Nakao voicing him is the greatest thing in the history of ever. But I tend to agree with TSA's thoughts:

He shows up as the boss of the first dungeon. I fuck him up. He vanishes until the temple of time. Does nothing there. Then, he shows up at the 6th dungeon. I fuck him up again. Finally, we're at the end of the game, where he finally captures Zelda. Really not much going on there.

I love his voice, his design, his flamboyance and all three of his boss battles are a blast. But as an actual character... pretty weak.
To be fair, we know that Ghirahim also attacked the dragon spirits and was trailing Zelda for the majority of the game.

The game's story is, however, significantly hindered by gameplay throughout.

Kai

Did anyone else get the Hylian Shield yet? The boss battles are killing me (especially the 2nd Girahim one) he always seems to catch my sword.

Bit-Bit

I'll agree with not seeing Girahim doing evil shit. But god damn do I like everything that he says. The writers really took his dialogue to a whole other level .

Gummb

I found it a negative because I don't *want* tight pacing in a Zelda game, I suppose. I want to explore a large world with tons of hidden secrets, and discover hidden areas. The linear structure just shuffled me along through (admittedly excellently designed) corridors. It's easy to make the case that previous Zelda's do this as well, and they do, but they disguise it better, and there is still a connecting world without that feeling of proceed-straight-ahead. Besides, I disagree with the tight pacing, anyway. The five parts of the Eldin key, those two slow power generator rooms in Lanayru desert, the Water Temple backtracking, the Faron Woods musical note hunt, the repeat fights with the Imprisoned...this is filler stuff, and hurt the pacing badly.

I completely disagree with there being lots of stuff to do. I was bored as hell in the sky. Bamboo cutting and bug finding were boring; skydiving was all right but I needed to do a boring fetch quest first, and there were several of those boring fetch quests, not only in Skyloft but in the main game. The amount of quality overworld/side content is significantly less than any preceding Zelda since before LttP, I think.

I mentioned a few of the design inconsistencies in the review directly: we thrust forward to insert a sword, turn the sword, then...hit A? I consider the lack of IR functionality a problem as well.
I disagree that those parts were filler. I think Nintendo had gameplay ideas that the development team approved and they had to find ways of implementing them. The five keys was a way to involve bowling bomb puzzles (which were awesome), backtracking in general always led to some gameplay addition, the musical note hunt was a bad addition, but it did not take a long time. The repeat fights with the imprisoned was different every time, and yes, it was not ideal, but it is not "filler." Again, I stress that these moments are few and take very little time from the game (plus, they aren't bad).

Your example is not a design inconsistency, but how the game shows you how to accomplish a task. I imagine you are talking about a sequence on the Pirate ship where you had to operate the generators. I took it that the "a" activated the thing, or something. In any case, I hit "a," and my task was complete.

Also, where would IR be used?

[EDIT, sorry] Also, what you *want* Zelda to be and what Skyward Sword is are two different matters to address. I understand that 25 years of Zelda has created a special dogma in many's hearts, but addressing the flaws of Skyward Sword should not be a matter of personal expectations, but rather a judgement of what the game is.

Also, to be fair... so that you know my full view, here is my review if you are interested -- http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32913391&postcount=6876

Feep

Banned
I disagree that those parts were filler. I think Nintendo had gameplay ideas that the development team approved and they had to find ways of implementing them. The five keys was a way to involve bowling bomb puzzles (which were awesome), backtracking in general always led to some gameplay addition, the musical note hunt was a bad addition, but it did not take a long time. The repeat fights with the imprisoned was different every time, and yes, it was not ideal, but it is not "filler." Again, I stress that these moments are few and take very little time from the game (plus, they aren't bad).

Your example is not a design inconsistency, but how the game shows you how to accomplish a task. I imagine you are talking about a sequence on the Pirate ship where you had to operate the generators. I took it that the "a" activated the thing, or something. In any case, I hit "a," and my task was complete.

Also, where would IR be used?
Then agree to disagree. I was not having fun at any of those points. I do admit that one of the bowling bomb puzzles was fun (throw it, then run across and throw it again). Musical note hunting took me a good 30-40 minutes. I didn't mention the Scorpion boss repeat, either. And looking in the main thread, most players seem to really dislike the Imprisoned repeats...especially with the second and third SO close together! Ugh. I do not like doing things very close to what I've done before; this content could have been trimmed, easily, but Nintendo seemed deadset on making it "the longest 3-D Zelda", for some reason. Five hours shorter and it would have been pretty awesome.

I consider it an inconsistency to ask that a player use motion controls to activate something, and yet in the middle of that something, ask them to hit "A". I am referring specifically to the power generators in Lanayru.

IR would be used on all pointer controls, of course. Recalibrating in the middle of a battle was confusing and disorienting. That's what the IR was made for! Pointing! It's right there on top of my TV! But it's never used.

Gummb

Then agree to disagree. I was not having fun at any of those points. I do admit that one of the bowling bomb puzzles was fun (throw it, then run across and throw it again). Musical note hunting took me a good 30-40 minutes. I didn't mention the Scorpion boss repeat, either. And looking in the main thread, most players seem to really dislike the Imprisoned repeats...especially with the second and third SO close together! Ugh. I do not like doing things very close to what I've done before; this content could have been trimmed, easily, but Nintendo seemed deadset on making it "the longest 3-D Zelda", for some reason. Five hours shorter and it would have been pretty awesome.

I consider it an inconsistency to ask that a player use motion controls to activate something, and yet in the middle of that something, ask them to hit "A". I am referring specifically to the power generators in Lanayru.

IR would be used on all pointer controls, of course. Recalibrating in the middle of a battle was confusing and disorienting. That's what the IR was made for! Pointing! It's right there on top of my TV! But it's never used.
Musical note hunting took you over half an hour? Did you use dowsing? It took me like 15 minutes, 20 tops. The Scorpion boss is fun... I thought it was so cool that he just popped up like that and it made great use of his gameplay experience to excite the player. I understand the imprisoned repeats (even though they aren't technically repeats).

Also, if one moment of "inconsistency" (even though it's only the game asking you to press "A") bothers you so much as to mention it in a review of a 40 hour adventure (let alone a major bullet point in your review), then you are right. Let's agree to disagree.

[EDIT] I also was never disoriented durring battle, and I thought that the motion allowed me to relax while playing without having to constantly point at the screen like I did in Twilight Princess. THAT, was disorienting. I actually thought motion-controlled pointing was genius.

[EDIT 2] What were you recalibrating durring battle that required pointing? Unless you used your arrows and slingshot at close distance... I guess.

Also, i'm sorry if i'm coming across as hostile. If you don't think we shouldn't continue this, then that's fine. :(

Madao

in the end, Ghirahim was just a sword trying to revive his master, so i guess he didn't have a very big range of power and autonomy compared to Ganon, Vaati or other guys who had full control of the situation they caused.
imo, this last revelation worked for him because, if he was just a random bad buy reviving the final boss, he would have been worse.

The musical note hunting took me a while, too. Was my completely least favorite part about the game.

I enjoyed the rest of the game, though.

Also, I feel like there's much more to do and complete in this game than there was in Twilight Princess. Right after beating TP, I was like "...so what now?" After Skyward Sword, there's still a good number of things I haven't even done yet. Plus, since the world is smaller, I feel like it's more interesting to do things like dowse for Goddess Cubes than it was to find Poes in Twilight Princess.

Hero

He was clearly not confident in his ability to succeed; he commanded those goblin troops with significant urgency.

Throughout the game Ghirahim was overly confident and that was what his entire downfall was. Or did you not read the part where he said in various ways how he shouldn't have spared Link every time he met him? He needed to buy time and he did that and accomplished his goal. The nitpicking you are doing is so ridiculous I would really love to know what games you actually enjoy. You have valid other complains I really wonder why this is one that sticks out so much to you.

Feep

Banned
Throughout the game Ghirahim was overly confident and that was what his entire downfall was. Or did you not read the part where he said in various ways how he shouldn't have spared Link every time he met him? He needed to buy time and he did that and accomplished his goal. The nitpicking you are doing is so ridiculous I would really love to know what games you actually enjoy. You have valid other complains I really wonder why this is one that sticks out so much to you.
You didn't actually respond to my point. If he was intentionally fucking around with Link...and fair enough if he was...the dialogue with the goblins did not match his intention. He was furious that Link could theoretically disrupt his shit. Quote from the video in post 51:

"Hear me, my hordes! The spell is nearly complete! The demon king returns! Until then, you WILL keep that whelp from interfering with my ritual. I don't care if the whole lot of you get lodged on the end of his blade. You will buy me the time I need! Do not fear him...fear my wrath if you fail!"

It's a character issue as well. I don't buy for a second that he "had to go" all those times he teleported away. Had to go do what? He didn't *do* anything the entire game. And even a moron could figure out that Link had a very close bond with Zelda, and would probably be a useful figure to keep an eye on/kill/capture/whatever. I didn't like his character at all. Stupid and one-note.

Musical note hunting took you over half an hour? Did you use dowsing? It took me like 15 minutes, 20 tops. The Scorpion boss is fun... I thought it was so cool that he just popped up like that and it made great use of his gameplay experience to excite the player. I understand the imprisoned repeats (even though they aren't technically repeats).

Also, if one moment of "inconsistency" (even though it's only the game asking you to press "A") bothers you so much as to mention it in a review of a 40 hour adventure (let alone a major bullet point in your review), then you are right. Let's agree to disagree.

[EDIT] I also was never disoriented durring battle, and I thought that the motion allowed me to relax while playing without having to constantly point at the screen like I did in Twilight Princess. THAT, was disorienting. I actually thought motion-controlled pointing was genius.

[EDIT 2] What were you recalibrating durring battle that required pointing? Unless you used your arrows and slingshot at close distance... I guess.

Also, i'm sorry if i'm coming across as hostile. If you don't think we shouldn't continue this, then that's fine. :(
Yes, musical note hunting took me that long (dowsing was not given to me until around halfway through, for some reason, and it couldn't be used underwater, making it a hassle).

Yes, I was disoriented during any battle that required the slingshot or arrow. The sandship archers come to mind.

And yes, I was annoyed I had to fight an identical boss twice.

I mean, look, it's a video game. Nothing is objective. I found these as faults because I wasn't having fun. (shrug)

Hero

You didn't actually respond to my point. If he was intentionally fucking around with Link...and fair enough if he was...the dialogue with the goblins did not match his intention. He was furious that Link could theoretically disrupt his shit. Quote from the video in post 51:

"Hear me, my hordes! The spell is nearly complete! The demon king returns! Until then, you WILL keep that whelp from interfering with my ritual. I don't care if the whole lot of you get lodged on the end of his blade. You will buy me the time I need! Do not fear him...fear my wrath if you fail!"

It's a character issue as well. I don't buy for a second that he "had to go" all those times he teleported away. Had to go do what? He didn't *do* anything the entire game. And even a moron could figure out that Link had a very close bond with Zelda, and would probably be a useful figure to keep an eye on/kill/capture/whatever. I didn't like his character at all. Stupid and one-note.

Up until the endgame portion Ghirahim was fucking around with Link and didn't take him seriously. At the end he needed to buy time, not fuck around. My criticism is that you think in a video game that you were annoyed that Ghiraham couldn't create an obstacle that Link could not overcome. Even though if it were and Link couldn't have done anything at all the outcome would've been EXACTLY the same and despite the fact that the previous time Ghirahim used a barrier to prevent him from interfering with trying to prevent Impa and Zelda go through the portal in the desert it began to fade and Link was able to intervene anyway.

What the hell do you mean he didn't do anything the entire game? He summoned the tornado that caused Zelda to crash to the surface, summoned Scaldera, fought the Water Dragon and most likely the Fire Dragon, enhanced Koloktos and stole Zelda after she awoke from her slumber. That's a hell of a lot more than what most Zelda villains have done so while you can cling to your dislike of his character it's factually wrong to say that he didn't do anything the whole game.

Feep

Banned
Up until the endgame portion Ghirahim was fucking around with Link and didn't take him seriously. At the end he needed to buy time, not fuck around. My criticism is that you think in a video game that you were annoyed that Ghiraham couldn't create an obstacle that Link could not overcome. Even though if it were and Link couldn't have done anything at all the outcome would've been EXACTLY the same and despite the fact that the previous time Ghirahim used a barrier to prevent him from interfering with trying to prevent Impa and Zelda go through the portal in the desert it began to fade and Link was able to intervene anyway.

What the hell do you mean he didn't do anything the entire game? He summoned the tornado that caused Zelda to crash to the surface, summoned Scaldera, fought the Water Dragon and most likely the Fire Dragon, enhanced Koloktos and stole Zelda after she awoke from her slumber. That's a hell of a lot more than what most Zelda villains have done so while you can cling to your dislike of his character it's factually wrong to say that he didn't do anything the whole game.
I was under the impression the Water Dragon was injured by the invading hordes of enemies. But almost all of those things were, "Oh, look, it's Link, let me have some fun." He kept leaving to go do "stuff". We didn't get to see him be evil, see him cause pain, and that weakens him as a villain. At the Temple of Time, he even says, "I shouldn't have been so soft." It's clear, at least at this point, he takes Link seriously, but can't spare, what, ten minutes to kill him?

The barrier at the Temple of Time was "fire", not the same as the light barriers at the spiral pit. Look, I understand a video game needs to allow the player a chance to do something, but it's a fault of writing if these instances are contrived. It's *also* annoying when your actions amount to nothing, as they did here.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill, here. I didn't even mention any of these in my review. It's just a nitpick. I don't actually care that much. I also don't expect Zelda stories to be marvelous pieces of narrative glory. It is what it is.

So this game is another goddamn prequel to Ocarina of Time? It seems the zelda series is an endless series of Ocarina of Time prequels. Will there ever be a game that takes place after Majora's Mask? honestly? Miyamoto is trollin'.

That aside, i'm amazed at the level of detail in this game's environment and plot.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So this game is another goddamn prequel to Ocarina of Time? It seems the zelda series is an endless series of Ocarina of Time prequels. Will there ever be a game that takes place after Majora's Mask? honestly? Miyamoto is trollin'.

Wind Waker? Twilight Princess? What are those, you think?

Wind Waker? Twilight Princess? What are those, you think?

Ah yes. Twilight Princess takes place before Wind Waker but after Majora's Mask. For some reason when I discovered that Twilight Princess was a prequel to Wind Waker i thought that wind waker took place before ocarina of time, lol. The zelda timeline is so very confusing.

Still, I wonder what happened to Ocarina of Time link after Majora's Mask...hell...what happens to the Links in general after their adventure? They reproduce and make more links?

the next zelda game should address this, LOL.

p.s. nintendo stop making ocarina of time prequels please thank you.

Hero

I was under the impression the Water Dragon was injured by the invading hordes of enemies. But almost all of those things were, "Oh, look, it's Link, let me have some fun." He kept leaving to go do "stuff". We didn't get to see him be evil, see him cause pain, and that weakens him as a villain. At the Temple of Time, he even says, "I shouldn't have been so soft." It's clear, at least at this point, he takes Link seriously, but can't spare, what, ten minutes to kill him?

The barrier at the Temple of Time was "fire", not the same as the light barriers at the spiral pit. Look, I understand a video game needs to allow the player a chance to do something, but it's a fault of writing if these instances are contrived. It's *also* annoying when your actions amount to nothing, as they did here.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill, here. I didn't even mention any of these in my review. It's just a nitpick. I don't actually care that much. I also don't expect Zelda stories to be marvelous pieces of narrative glory. It is what it is.

For someone who is critiquing the game I would expect you to at least know your shit. You say the story is meh but you didn't pick up that Faron was wounded by Ghirahim and thus why she gave you the water quest? Did you need Fi to spell it out for you? Aside from that point you still haven't referenced another Zelda villain that did anything worse than Ghirahim did.

And does this look like fire being used at the Temple of Time at the 1:57 mark in the video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgTFDAk4GVY

Because it sure looks like the god damn barrier spell that he uses. Maybe you should get your eyes checked. If you're going to try and nitpick stuff maybe you should make sure you're actually correct in it.

Feep

Banned
For someone who is critiquing the game I would expect you to at least know your shit. You say the story is meh but you didn't pick up that Faron was wounded by Ghirahim and thus why she gave you the water quest? Did you need Fi to spell it out for you? Aside from that point you still haven't referenced another Zelda villain that did anything worse than Ghirahim did.

And does this look like fire being used at the Temple of Time at the 1:57 mark in the video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgTFDAk4GVY

Because it sure looks like the god damn barrier spell that he uses. Maybe you should get your eyes checked. If you're going to try and nitpick stuff maybe you should make sure you're actually correct in it.
Okay, asshole. I'm not sure why you've suddenly taken to personally attacking me, but this has gone way out of line. You need to calm the fuck down. It's like I've insulted your mother because I said I didn't like a few things about a Zelda game that you had no part in creating.

For reference, I've included two screenshots below. Do they look like the same type of barrier?

a1p5p.png

tcooK.png

You can respond, but don't expect me to read it. You've earned yourself a place on my ignore list for being an insufferable douchebag. Gummb, I certainly don't mind debating further with you if you'd like.

loosus

Banned
I wonder why Nintendo insists on making Zelda cutscenes look more and more like a Dragonball episode. What a fucking shame.

Hero

Okay, asshole. I'm not sure why you've suddenly taken to personally attacking me, but this has gone way out of line. You need to calm the fuck down. It's like I've insulted your mother because I said I didn't like a few things about a Zelda game that you had no part in creating.

For reference, I've included two screenshots below. Do they look like the same type of barrier?

a1p5p.png

tcooK.png

You can respond, but don't expect me to read it. You've earned yourself a place on my ignore list for being an insufferable douchebag. Gummb, I certainly don't mind debating further with you if you'd like.

No, they don't look the same but that doesn't mean they're entirely different. Rewatching the scene I can see how you could make it that it's fire. However that still doesn't change the original argument about you nitpicking a boss encounter where even if Ghirahim had completely blocked out Link the outcome wouldn't have changed at all (Zelda still would have had her soul consumed). It's like complaining about how a Disney villain never kills the hero or the princess. If anything it at least created a nice action sequence even though the majority of the enemies were completely dumbed down.

I will apologize for the way I came across, it's been a long night/day and if it wasn't for your thread I would have never known or bought about Scribblenauts. I know you can't read this but hopefully someone will quote me so you can read it. Happy Thanksgiving.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I just realized the orange crystal Zelda sleeps in to reinforce the seal Demise is in is already in there at the very beginning of the game (the first time you visit the Sealed Temple) and Impa already has the bracelet Zelda gives her at the end of the game.

I don't understand how that works. Is this some kind of time loop they are all stuck in until they used the Triforce or what?

EDIT: Wait, it makes no sense at all. If Impa already has the bracelet at the beginning of the game that means Demise was already destroyed in the past. Or is that only in Hero Mode as a little bonus?

Ugh, I hate time travel in gaming.

Caelus

Ah yes. Twilight Princess takes place before Wind Waker but after Majora's Mask. For some reason when I discovered that Twilight Princess was a prequel to Wind Waker i thought that wind waker took place before ocarina of time, lol. The zelda timeline is so very confusing.

Still, I wonder what happened to Ocarina of Time link after Majora's Mask...hell...what happens to the Links in general after their adventure? They reproduce and make more links?

the next zelda game should address this, LOL.

No, you're doing it wrong, there are two timelines. There are no prequels to OoT until SS was developed.

ASIS

I just realized the orange crystal Zelda sleeps in to reinforce the seal Demise is in is already in there at the very beginning of the game (the first time you visit the Sealed Temple) and Impa already has the bracelet Zelda gives her at the end of the game.

I don't understand how that works. Is this some kind of time loop they are all stuck in until they used the Triforce or what?

EDIT: Wait, it makes no sense at all. If Impa already has the bracelet at the beginning of the game that means Demise was already destroyed in the past. Or is that only in Hero Mode as a little bonus?

Ugh, I hate time travel in gaming.

No she has the bracelet all the time.

And you are making my head hurt.

----

Okay, so for my final impressions on the game:

-Motion controls: Okay, here's the deal. I love motion controls, I was sold day one and I'm very happy with the controls in this game. BUT they do take time to get used to and no matter what the success rate maybe, it's still not 100% like traditional controls are. That means that Motion controls still have a long way to go, SS may have tapped into the potential, but it didn't fully realize it. That's why it pains me to see the WiiU, I really want them to focus and improve the motion controls, I really think they are the superior method, but they are still undercooked.

-The story: Very strange seeing a full fledged story with complex characters in a Zelda game. The cinematic feel were great,and the twists were unexpected. I will say this though, I don't want the Zelda franchise to go this direction. It was great here because it's an origin story, but I hope they fall back a bit and return to the "fairytale" like stories. After all, that's how legends are supposed to be told :p.

-Gameplay: Loved all the items, loved all the dungeons, the overworld, the sidequest, etc. But didn't like the three imprisoned fights. That's really the only "padding" complain I can truly relate to. Granted, none of them were expected, the first two were very enjoyable actually, but the third was really unnecessary, Other than that. I really can't relate to any of the "padding" complaints, though I still need time to replay the game and see how it holds up.

- Music: Again, don't understand why anyone is disappointed here, absolutely stunning pieces and very, very appropriate. The harp though, was unnecessary, I knew from the minute I saw it that it would only serve as a plot device, but.. they could have done more with it I think.

- Graphics: My TV was very crappy, so I can't really comment. But did anyone have framerate drops during the game and the credits? I really want to know this.

- Overall: One of the best experiences this generation and maybe even of all time, but does it deserve a 10/10? No. IMO the game isn't revolutionary enough to flip the entire industry up side down (like OOT did). It's just an incredible game, and there's nothing wrong with that. Completely unique, creative puzzles, outstanding boss fights, and there was a lot to do know IMO (took me 50 hours to beat).. I would say SS was on par with my expectations. Though honestly, I think it will gain more respect with time.

Twilight Princess is not a prequel to Wind Waker. They take place on separate timelines. Wind Waker taking place in the Adult timeline and TP taking place in the child one.

Well at the end of MM Link walks off into the Lost Woods with out a fairy, which it is said you turn into a Stalfos if you do that. Which lead many to believe that the Stalfos you learn all your sword moves from in Twilight Princess is OoT/MM Link.

This is the first OoT prequel Nintendo has made, with Capcom possibly having made one depending on who you talk to timeline wise. So since OoT came out they have 2 games that came before OoT and 5 that came after OoT.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The split-zelda timeline isn't even confirmed information, don't even start with that crap. It's a theory for a reason.
It's confirmed.

Oh wait, I meant it's the same story told over and over again with the details changed, with any hint of interconnection (including the unskippable cutscenes) added by the translators to fuck with people. Silly me ;p

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The split-timeline doesn't mean shit when there's a time loop.
j/k
To be honest, a time loop was the twist I was expecting in the game. Like, the war mentioned in the intro to be actually something at the end of the timeline.

Isn't the special edition with the gold Wiimote out? Because my friend went to the Wal*Mart in Menomonie, WI and they wouldn't sell it to him until 10pm on Black Friday.

The split-zelda timeline isn't even confirmed information, don't even start with that crap. It's a theory for a reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHIP9UtkQDQ

Here's some info from the Angry Video Game Nerd about how ****ed up the timeline is.

How is it a theory when Aonuma has confirmed that the split timeline is official. So you can either accept what the developers and creators of the series say, or shove your head in the sand.

atbigelow

Couple notes of my feelings:

-Girahim being the evil equivalent of Fi was neat, but not overplayed, thank goodness. Subtlety is good!
-Very cool to see the origins of the Hylian people from the goddess. It makes me wonder how Hylia fits into the scheme of the main goddess trifecta. Was she on equal footing with them or what?
-I thought the "creation" of the Master Sword was a little boring and it was easy to see how it was progressing. It also felt anti-climactic to me once it was finished. Zelda blessing it was a good idea, but yeah I dunno.
-Having said that, I thought the character of Fi was great but the gameplay sucky. Also her going away was hands-down the saddest part of the game.
-The second most emotional was Zelda locking herself away in that big crystal. Link beating on it was good.
-Okay, did anyone else go FULL MAST when you get to the desert and find the Temple of Time? And then immediately go flaccid once nobody mentions a PEEP about it? It's this gigantic, awesome looking structure you can see forever... and it's like "well that cutscene played out, let's bail."
-I think Demise is cool. Buuuuut...

My big issues with the stories in Zelda is that they rarely talk about what things are or where they came from. Demise is this super powerful demon badass guy, but um... where the hell did he come from? The stories are always a bit vague on that kind of thing.

What I did appreciate is that this is the first Zelda game that actually hooks into the rest of the series. Twilight Princess was basically "oh it takes place after OoT" but had so few concrete connections to any other game. I realize they want to make sure people who haven't played other Zelda games aren't lost, but they can definitely do better with this.

So now the Sealed Temple becomes the Temple of Time in OoT, yeah? So what happens to the Temple of Time that was already there in SS? Anyone have more thoughts on how the story progresses after SS -> OoT?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
So now the Sealed Temple becomes the Temple of Time in OoT, yeah?
Yup.

So what happens to the Temple of Time that was already there in SS? Anyone have more thoughts on how the story progresses after SS -> OoT?
With the gate of time destroyed, I guess it just crumbles into irrelevance over time (just like the various temples do between each game... either this, or Hyrule is freakin' filled with shapeshifting dungeons).

Fat Goron

I said in another thread I don't think Demise is meant to BE Ganondorf... I think he is the evil from which all other evil in the Zelda universe draws power. His hate is ever-living. Ganondorf was a thief. The Nightmare is ethereal. Majora is the physical manifestation of a curse. Vaati was a magician. None of these refer to any knowledge of Demise as Zelda does of Hylia in this game. So I don't think any of them are the same person... I do think that they manifest his hate, and perhaps they fall under his influence or draw on his power.

I got a kick out of having a story for Hylia, as it makes sense that there would then be regions named after her... that the land ruled by Zelda's descendents would become known as Hyrule and the people - as Hylians. It would be interesting to see a Zelda story that delves back even further and teach us more about Farore, Din and Nayru -- whether they were Gods that pre-dated Hylia or whether they were once of the same time - much like the old Gods of Olympus. Desire refers to Hylia's "previous form" as more glorious... imagine a world in which we could see the old Titans of Hyrule.

This game is FULL of intentional tributes, easter eggs, marks of tradition and coincidences. I'd like to see someone compile the full list because there are many...

• "It's a secret to everybody" from the original LoZ is said in the game

• Headmaster Gaepora = the name of the owl from Ocarina, he even says "Hoo hoo" at one point.

• The swirly sword beam has returned! The sword beam isn't in every game... it has been in various games -- sword shaped in LoZ, AoL, LA, the Oracle games, FSA, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. The Skyward Strike resembles the more crescent circular beams of Link to the Past and Majora's Mask.

• Beedle and Vine / Rope swinging return from Wind Waker. Your loftwing is crimson red like the King of Red Lions, it's just that the sky is your sea.

• The travelling Goron returns too, and he's a bit of a history researcher - as the character Shad was in Twilight Princess.

• Lanyru Desert features sea-faring, pirates and a pirate ship! Sound familiar?

• Fi beckons you from your room at night to the local landmark, as Zelda does telepathically in Link to the Past.

• You push a particular grave to find Kukiel, which evokes moments of grave pushing for gaining entry to new areas or items in the original LoZ, Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time.

• There is a Tingle doll in Zelda's bedroom. You can see it by entering from the roof or by peeking through the wall in Karane's room. While you're in the vents of the roof, you can also perv on Headmaster Gaepora having a Bath... which reminded me of watching Meryl do sit ups in Metal Gear Solid actually, I was equally turned on!

• The Fortune Teller recalls the various Fortune Tellers who have appeared in Link to the Past, Four Swords, Phantom Hourglass and Twilight Princess.

• Batreaux - the guy who wants your gratitude crystals is a sort of friendly monster. I don't think it's a coincidence that he resembles a bat or that his name is a play on the word -- there was a similar friendly monster who upgraded your magic meter in Link to the Past, who was of course - a bat.

• Links underwater spin attack is remeniscint of the abilities bestowed upon him by the Zora mask in Majora's Mask

• The stealth section at Eldin Volcano recalls the Gerudo and Forsaken Fortresses from Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker respectively.

• Obviously the tear hunts were present in Twilight Princess. As was the ability to move and transport things... in Twilight Princess you used Midna's teleporting ability, in Skyward Sword you use Scrapper.

• The Lumpy Pumpkin's music evokes shades of Lon Lon Ranch.

• Shaking things from trees, walls and chandeliers by running / rolling into them -- we've been doing it since the Book of Mudora baby!

• Link actually makes a wish to the Triforce, something he last did in LTTP I believe

• Impa was previously in Zelda games as an old woman (Zelda 1 and Zelda 2) and as a Shiekah (Ocarina of Time). This game manages to make her both! Clever!

• Zelda casts herself into a deep sleep in the past in order to help hold the seal on demise, and she rests in sleep for thousands of years - recalling her long slumber in the Adventure of Link.

I'd like to expand the list, because I know there are more.

I love the way the game alludes to changes in geography over generations. A great sea becoming Lanayru Desert. Robots becoming rubble. Dragons becoming bones. The final resting place of the Master Sword evokes the resting place of the sword in both Twilight Princess and Link to the Past... in fact if you see the line between those games as linear, you can see Skyward Sword's sealed grounds becoming a temple that crumbles away with time.

I liked how the game played with time generally too, and the fact that there existed Gates of Time and Time Crystals which were harvested. You could believe perhaps that somehow that mystical ore had something to do with why the Master Sword caused the time jumps in Ocarina of Time... the design of the Gates of Time reminded me a lot of the Mirror of Twilight. Again, the design similarities help draw you in to believing that these things exist within a consistent universe...

I'll try and share some more thoughts later. I can't wait to re-play the game and see what else I notice!

Well, about Lumpy Pumpkin.... the whole place reminds me of Telma's Bar.
Just look at the characters.... Don't they look familiar?

nFjpA.jpg

Telma's Bar (The Resistance) X Lumpy Pumpkin

emb

So Demise is basically Ganon's spirit/earlier incarnation? I took it as something similar to what happened to Zelda, he incarnates later in a lower form. Seems to me like the game still ended up having good old Ganon as the main villain, lol. Maybe I'm simply misinterpreting it.

The temples confused me. Hylia's temple (well, the one at the Sealed Grounds) is where the Master Sword ends up, clearly it's the ToT from OoT. Why then, did they make another place and call it the Temple of Time? Apparently that place just doesn't matter after this game. And having the temple be in the forest in this game, then in a town (far from the forest) in OoT, and then back in a forest in TP. I guess it just further goes to show me I shouldn't try to nitpick at the consistency in these games.

I guess the orange crystal just stays there, even if Zelda isn't sleeping in it? I can't think of how else that can make sense.

I also really wanted Zelda to be the sleeping Zelda from the stories. She gets woken up in both this game and AoL, so I guess it isn't possible :(.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Top Bottom