• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Skyward Sword Spoiler Thread: Retelling the Legend without the black bars

Platy

Ok .... just want to know one thing for those who ended:

Anything about the whale being realted to the wind fish ?

Phenomic

Ganon/Ganondorf is the reincarnation of Demise's hate for the Gods. And as Demise said, any descendant/reincarnation of Link and Zelda are cursed (and Ganondorf too, in a way) to bump into each other/fight each other for eternity.

Also note that what Demise said can also refer to any Zelda villain. Zant, Vaati, Bellum, Maladus, Majora, Veran, Onox, Agahim, even the Nightmares.

Also! This I find is a good read and does explain a lot of what I thought was a major plot hole in the game.

Dude... that made my head hurt so much. Time Travel seriously screws with my brain. I thought the end made perfect sense for the most part. How do people think of this stuff the game has been out less than a week in most regions. He's already written a thesis about the time travel portions.

Maybe I just didn't take it as seriously, yeah it's kinda paradox like because obviously you see Zelda's crystal in the present while she's running around in the present to get into the crystallized state. Perhaps I've just watched too much Futurama, I've pretty much adopted the notion that as long as you don't meet yourself by time traveling you'll be okay. =D

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Honestly, I think this explanation is reading way too much into the game, introduces a lot of forced details out of nowhere, and has a bunch of glaring flaws (especially for Link being the one who originally sealed Demise).

It's more likely that, exactly like with Ocarina, they went for something halfway between time travel being already part of a history that can't be changed (see Zelda being already inside the room of the Sealed Temple or Old Impa's bracelet when you start the game) and time travel allowing history to change (see planting the tree, or Ghirahim freeing Demise in the past).

Anth0ny

Well, about Lumpy Pumpkin.... the whole place reminds me of Telma's Bar.
Just look at the characters.... Don't they look familiar?

nFjpA.jpg

Telma's Bar (The Resistance) X Lumpy Pumpkin

holy shit

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I'm glad they have a much better character design. I still can't get over how creepy and ugly the NPCs in TP were.

I'm glad they have a much better character design. I still can't get over how creepy and ugly the NPCs in TP were.

Renado's giant lips and his creepy looking daughter(?) thing were the main offenders for me. Oh and about half of the Ordon village populace as well for that matter.

JerkShep

Questions:
Sealed Grounds = Temple of Time in OOT and TP
Temple of Time in Lanaryu Desert = Gate for the Twilight Realm?

So basically in TP they moved the Capital lol? In OOT the Temple was near Hyrule Castle, while in TP and SS is near the Faron Woods

Other locations (SS->OOT->TP), correct me if I'm wrong:
Faron Woods-> Lost Woods -> Faron Woods
Eldin Volcano-> Death Mountain -> Death Mountain
Lanaryu Desert -> Gerudo Desert -> Desert with Arbiter's Ground?
(Wait..where is the Spirit Temple then?)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Questions:

So basically in TP they moved the Capital lol? In OOT the Temple was near Hyrule Castle, while in TP and SS is near the Faron Woods

Hyrule's geography has always been kinda... flexible.

Lunar15

I'm so glad someone else noticed all the subtle references to the other Zelda games. I'm sure there are more.

Majora's Mask: Toilet hand, Skyloft Sidequests in general.

Spirit Tracks: The whip, the Groosenator, The bottom of the boss room shaft in Lanryu Mining Facility

Link to the Past: If you talk to impa before finding the Triforce, she'll tell you "May the Way of the Hero lead to the Triforce" which is a DIRECT line from ALTTP. Also, the sound of the monster horn during the final showdown with all of the bokoblins is the same as the ALTTP flute theme.

OOT: The room where you fight the Lizafols for the Bomb Bag is the same as Dodongo's Cavern. When Link plays the Song of the Hero to open the Trial Gate in Skyloft, the OOT Hyrule Field theme plays in the background during the dialogue with Fi. (seriously, when I find a link, I'll give it to you)

Minish Cap: Mole Mitts, Gust Jar

That's all I've got for right now. Also, did anyone else realize that the Ancient Cistern was an amazing metapor for Heaven and Hell? The Final Boss is in "heaven", but you have to go to Hell in order to find the key, and in order to get out, you have to climb that rope to the light with all the zomblins trying to pull you down. I thought it was brilliant.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The Ancient Cistern's "this is the direction of the temple" or whatever was in one of the dungeons in either Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks...although I forgot which. Would be cool if it was Spirit Tracks' Water Temple.

Also, lol at the Titanic shout-out on Skipper's Island.

New Deku Butler's Son moment...:(

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
That's all I've got for right now. Also, did anyone else realize that the Ancient Cistern was an amazing metapor for Heaven and Hell? The Final Boss is in "heaven", but you have to go to Hell in order to find the key, and in order to get out, you have to climb that rope to the light with all the zomblins trying to pull you down. I thought it was brilliant.

o_O

groose owns so goddamned much

"We should call this place... GROOSELAND."

It's not as cool as "The Legend of Groose"

Lunar15

Favorite boss battles anyone? I'm gonna have to go with Koloktos. At first I thought it was going to be a lame, predictable boss battle... and then he PULLED HIMSELF OUT OF THE GROUND. Also, using his own swords against him felt really badass. Clearly a reference to TWW.

Lunar15

Actually I think the only MAJOR disappointment in this game (non gameplay wise) is that it totally missed TWO good music opportunties when link found the Triforce. Seriously, no rendition of the ALTTP Intro or the Triforce Room? C'mon Nintendo, Fairy Fountain is not a suitable replacement.

Favorite boss battles anyone? I'm gonna have to go with Koloktos. At first I thought it was going to be a lame, predictable boss battle... and then he PULLED HIMSELF OUT OF THE GROUND. Also, using his own swords against him felt really badass. Clearly a reference to TWW.

Definitely Koloktos, yeah, although I enjoyed the hell out of the Scaldera, Tentalus and final Ghirahim battles.

Anth0ny

Actually I think the only MAJOR disappointment in this game (non gameplay wise) is that it totally missed TWO good music opportunties when link found the Triforce. Seriously, no rendition of the ALTTP Intro or the Triforce Room? C'mon Nintendo, Fairy Fountain is not a suitable replacement.

Shit I noticed that too. I was totally expecting the LTTP intro ala Wind Waker... and the fucking Fairy Fountain music starts playing. I said "Seriously?" out loud. Such an odd choice.

Madao

So Demise is basically Ganon's spirit/earlier incarnation? I took it as something similar to what happened to Zelda, he incarnates later in a lower form. Seems to me like the game still ended up having good old Ganon as the main villain, lol. Maybe I'm simply misinterpreting it.

The temples confused me. Hylia's temple (well, the one at the Sealed Grounds) is where the Master Sword ends up, clearly it's the ToT from OoT. Why then, did they make another place and call it the Temple of Time? Apparently that place just doesn't matter after this game. And having the temple be in the forest in this game, then in a town (far from the forest) in OoT, and then back in a forest in TP. I guess it just further goes to show me I shouldn't try to nitpick at the consistency in these games.

I guess the orange crystal just stays there, even if Zelda isn't sleeping in it? I can't think of how else that can make sense.

I also really wanted Zelda to be the sleeping Zelda from the stories. She gets woken up in both this game and AoL, so I guess it isn't possible :(.

imo, they probably made the ToT like that to confirm that it does get moved around after a certain amount of time. seems that they can't keep their sacred places in the same place after a war is over due to fear of the enemy attacking the place again later. the games happen after possibly thousands of years and that's enough to completely erase crumbled buildings (that would explain why the places change so much)

fugimax

Take a trip to the Sealed Grounds when you first start the game and gaze beyond the double-doors behind Impa. Tell me what you see. It's Zelda, already entombed in her sealing stasis.

Whoa.

Lunar15

I feel like the white scar on Demise's forehead is a reference to both TP and TWW simultaneously.

I also like how it subtly alludes to how the Goddess vanquished him/the spike in his head as the imprisoned.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Okay, so apparently another feature of Hero Mode is that when you get the True Master Sword, you don't need to charge Skyward Strikes anymore. Just point the sword skyward and bam, fire away.

Playing through SS has made me seriously think about the series chronology as it has way more references than normal as well as many areas that can seemingly connect around. Maybe I should start digging up all them theories on the net and see how my own theories work up.

Moment I saw Impa go back in time with Zelda I already started guessing she was the old woman. Always glad to see when I get those guesses right lol.

The two major breakthrough moments for me was seeing the Goddess Isle slide right into the Sealed Temple's pit as well as finding out Ghirahim is actually a weapon. If Ghirahim was that powerful, makes you wonder how powerful Fi would be.

Also has anyone noticed the sheer number of Ancient Asia references the game has thematically?

edit:

And seriously...Who would have thought that a Zelda game would give us ROBOT PIRATES FROM ANCIENT CIVILIZATIONS!!
And did anyone notice the number of characters in Skyloft having names that are similar to birds?

Muskweeto

I noticed Demise's sword has an upside down Triforce on it. weren't there upside down Triforce symbols on doors and maybe other things in The Wind Waker?

Don't know what that means, just pointing it out.

Well, about Lumpy Pumpkin.... the whole place reminds me of Telma's Bar.
Just look at the characters.... Don't they look familiar?

nFjpA.jpg

Telma's Bar (The Resistance) X Lumpy Pumpkin

Dude... awesome catch, how did I not notice!

I'm surprised I haven't heard anyone comment on one of the coolest nods to a past game:

ED2oj.png

I'm so glad someone else noticed all the subtle references to the other Zelda games. I'm sure there are more.

Majora's Mask: Toilet hand, Skyloft Sidequests in general.

Spirit Tracks: The whip, the Groosenator, The bottom of the boss room shaft in Lanryu Mining Facility

Link to the Past: If you talk to impa before finding the Triforce, she'll tell you "May the Way of the Hero lead to the Triforce" which is a DIRECT line from ALTTP. Also, the sound of the monster horn during the final showdown with all of the bokoblins is the same as the ALTTP flute theme.

OOT: The room where you fight the Lizafols for the Bomb Bag is the same as Dodongo's Cavern. When Link plays the Song of the Hero to open the Trial Gate in Skyloft, the OOT Hyrule Field theme plays in the background during the dialogue with Fi. (seriously, when I find a link, I'll give it to you)

Minish Cap: Mole Mitts, Gust Jar

YES!!

I can't wait til more people in the OT have finished the game and come to this thread to read these (and mine on the first page)

Zomba13

The thing is (at least for me) I could see the crystal and tell something was in it but for the life of me I couldn't make out what. Thanks for that Standard Definition (I mean it). It was nice when Zelda went in the crystal and me working out that it was her inside it from the start.

kiryogi

Banned
The thing is (at least for me) I could see the crystal and tell something was in it but for the life of me I couldn't make out what. Thanks for that Standard Definition (I mean it). It was nice when Zelda went in the crystal and me working out that it was her inside it from the start.

I actually never got to peek at what was inside until halfway through the game, and it was before the revelation that it was Zelda. I thought at first it was some sort of Timeshift Stone or something to be used end game. But after seeing for what it really was after traveling in the past, it made me a little giddy inside.

Maybe better character design, but Demise in dark teddy bear form is without a doubt the worse character design I've seen in a Zelda game, and that include multicolored blobs.

The thing I most didn't like about this game is how blatant the padding was. All areas were reused multiple times, with lazy design elements to make them seem different,like fences or taking away your items (tears trials AND stealth section?), and made the filler obvious. Especially obvious example are the forest flooding and spirit realm tears trial thing (there is no way the forest was originally designed with the intent of being able to swim anywhere in it).

Caelus

OoT Middle: Link gets near Temple of Time, Zelda and Impa are escaping from Ganondorf, Zelda throws Link the Ocarina, Link stands up to Ganondorf, Ganondorf insults and attacks Link.

SS Middle: Link gets near Temple of Time, Zelda and Impa are escaping from Ghirahim, Zelda throws Link the Lyre, Link stands up to Ghirahim, Ghirahim insults and attacks Link.

Lunar15

These references are giving me more reason to go re-play the game right away. I want to find ALL the references!

I feel like the only games I can't find references from are the oracles. It's arguable, but you could say that the emblems of each Goddess come from Oracle of Ages. Also, I could be wrong, but don't you plant a tree in Oracle of Ages, only for it to grow when you go to the present?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I feel like the only games I can't find references from are the oracles. It's arguable, but you could say that the emblems of each Goddess come from Oracle of Ages. Also, I could be wrong, but don't you plant a tree in Oracle of Ages, only for it to grow when you go to the present?

The Sand Sea Pirates are probably a shout-out to the Piratians in Oracle of Seasons, who were stranded in the desert.

Oracle of Seasons introduced a slingshot that could fire multiple seeds at once.

Oracle of Ages featured the first use of a harp as a musical instrument. Nayru herself is a bit like Zelda, a seemingly normal girl who is actually the human incarnation of a Goddess.

Like Zelda, Din in Seasons was imprisoned inside a crystal-although due to a bad guy-and the Temple of Seasons falls down into the earth, a bit like how the Goddess Temple falls down from the sky.

The Linked Game involved the use of three sacred flames, although for a different purpose.

And the part where you lose all your equipment is similar to how you lose your equipment in Ages on the Tokay Island.

Anth0ny

OoT Middle: Link gets near Temple of Time, Zelda and Impa are escaping from Ganondorf, Zelda throws Link the Ocarina, Link stands up to Ganondorf, Ganondorf insults and attacks Link.

SS Middle: Link gets near Temple of Time, Zelda and Impa are escaping from Ghirahim, Zelda throws Link the Lyre, Link stands up to Ghirahim, Ghirahim insults and attacks Link.

Problem: In SS, I just bodied Ghirahim free at the end of the first dungeon. In OOT, Ganon is one intimidating mother fucker.

Lunar15

Did anyone else get an insane Castle in the Sky feel from this game? The flying city, the robots, the relationship between Link and Zelda... I mean, link even catches her while falling, just like the scene in Castle.

Also, the scene where the Goddess Statue falls is so reminiscent of the scene in Castle where Laputa falls apart. It helps that the art style kind of evokes Miyazaki in some slight ways.

So Demise being sealed away in the Master Sword, what's that about? Ganondorf is already around before Link gets the sword in OoT, so it's not like his power has been 'released' at any point.

Isn't Vaati sealed away inside the Four Sword? It's like every sword in the Zelda universe has some evil thing locked inside it.

Kard8p3

I like how when you beat Demise he gasps for breath in a very similar way to Ganondorf after beating him the first time in Ocarina. Of course they both have the same voice actor so I'm sure that's part of the reason.

Tuck

Questions:

The desert in TP was the Gerudo desert, just... without the Gerudo. Some people thing Arbiter Grounds is the spirit temple. Apparently if you look, with the hawk eye, in the mirror room in Arbiter Grounds, off in the distance you can see what appears to be the desert colossus, but I'm thinking that wasn't an intention thing.

Seems like Faron Woods and the Lost Woods are one and the same.

Eldin Volcano is most likely Death Mountain, though where the Gorons are in SS I have no idea.

So Demise being sealed away in the Master Sword, what's that about? Ganondorf is already around before Link gets the sword in OoT, so it's not like his power has been 'released' at any point.

Isn't Vaati sealed away inside the Four Sword? It's like every sword in the Zelda universe has some evil thing locked inside it.

Doesn't Demise say his *hate* never perishes? Cause if that's so, that is a major difference. His hate is reborn in Ganondorf, who was jealous of the prosperity of Hyrule in comparison to his desert.

Girahim's transformation into a sort of Dark Fi (same metallic body, crystal, and hair style) was really cool and shocking even if I sort of expected that, and the part when Demise pulls the sword out of Girahim's chest (and Girahim is laughing with joy) was crazy.

Lunar15

Girahim's transformation into a sort of Dark Fi (same metallic body, crystal, and hair style) was really cool and shocking even if I sort of expected that, and the part when Demise pulls the sword out of Girahim's chest (and Girahim is laughing with joy) was crazy.

The fact that there was a Dark Master Sword is so aesthetically pleasing. Also pleasing was the part when Demise told Link that he was the first human to ever stand up to him. This part really drills it home that this is the first Link, and the first ever Hero of Destiny.

Everything about the ending resonated very well with me. They really made it feel like "this is how it all begins", by explaining that the Gods gave mortals the Triforce so that they could have hope, and that the Goddess sacrificed her life so that mortals could stand up against Demise. The Gods did everything in their power to make it so that mortals had a fighting chance against evil, and this is the game where mortals such as Link and Zelda (and motherfuckin' Groose) come along in order to take up that fight.

Top Bottom