• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom | New Trailer - Amiibo and Collector's Edition announced

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Looks interesting but I will not buy if breakable weapons are back, its that simple

Have they mentioned anything about the weapon system yet? Please tell me it’s not like BotW.

It will definitely be like BOTW, it's a core aspect of how the game works. They would have to make some drastic changes to remove that and still keep it balanced, and I don't think that's happening in this seemingly very iterative game. Maybe they'll tweak it a bit (make weapons last a bit longer or whatever), but I absolutely don't see them removing weapons breaking completely.

Mato

It might turn out to be interesting as some sort of sandbox experiment. But so far it looks very weak as a standalone Zelda adventure experience.

Anyone know where you can preorder the Amiibo? Was going to try and get the CE but the stuff included looks crap. I’d rather just get the base game and Amiibo.

Edit: Should have stated that I’m looking for preorders in the UK!

Last edited:

BlackTron

I wasn't that crazy about BOTW to begin with and this trailer has just added more of the same nothing that the last one did to indicate it will be better.

It still could be, but this is getting pretty concerning. Thankfully Link's Awakening is still on Switch lmao

kondorBonk

Take a base game and have 6 years to add on and experiment/improve their already amazing engine and world. I have very high hopes for this game considering what Majoras Mask was able to accomplish with just reused assets in a year.

I fully expected it to look visually identical to BOTW. That was already very clear. We seem to be getting just a taste but the ideas of crafting and new enemies with the zero limitations mindset of the first game is so much than just a cart in a field.

I'm also thinking there is some form of time jump considering Links new look and the changes to Hyrule outside of simply the castle going into the sky.

SiahWester

I'm glad I'm not the only one underwhelmed. If this game is coming out in May then show the damn game already. We keep getting these glimpses and it does nothing for me.

From what they've showed it looks like a DLC for Breath of the Wild... 6 years later. Normally we'd be getting a new world, characters, and a graphics overhaul. Zelda use to really get me hyped. I'm sure it will be an awesome game, but they need to just come out an give us an in depth look already. Give me a reason to care.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Breath of the wild is one of the largest open world games ever if you haven’t played that game you owe it to yourself. This trailer makes me hopeful. Can we get some smart game design this time around though? I’m the the millions of shrines won’t take offense, can we get traditional temples and dungeons? Everyone loved the divine beasts I thought they were ok.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Well, unless this game is WAAAY more than it's leading on to be.....looks to be more of the same....like GOW, Horizon and TLOU. GOTY may have opened up for other games potentially like Starfield, FF16, Diablo 4 (even those last 2 are sequels...so maybe more of the same there too).

Ulysses 31

Will this be the Majora's Mask to Ocarine of Time?

If they're keeping the looks so similar then I hope there's some core gameplay mechanic changes to keep things fresh.

Ulysses 31

Surprised they didn't show off the Zelda themed OLED switch that's coming soon too... 👀

Amazon.de already has a listing for it.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The more I watch it, these "nuts & bolts" elements of new mechanical connections and power sources look fantastic.

The original game's cooking was a great preoccupation when exploring, if you chose to get into it, but now I get the impression that we'll have a much more vast kind of "crafting" available, with all kinds of mechanical parts, special power sources, and other elements to freely combine.

Making a car or an airship are a couple of amusing examples, but I predict that you'll just as easily be able to create a catapult or some other clever combat-focused inventions, if you take the time.

In any case, they seem to be expanding the physics / materials / crafting elements quite a bit, and that's exciting.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Looked like a new Zelda game trailer.

This and Metroid Prime remaster (lol) didn’t really move the needle for me.

Rodolink

i keep praying there are weapons and equipment that don't get destroyed, but this seems like an expansion, so probably not

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The concerns about revisiting the original map seem misplaced.

The clips (from this and prior trailers) suggest that there is not only a vast network of new locations above in the clouds--some very large floating islands--but also a large interconnected system of vast caves. Those shots of dark areas with mushrooms and mining enemies are surely from the deep cave networks, and even the first trailers showing Link & Zelda walking into a cave suggested a large emphases on these new underground tunnels.

I'm certain that there will be just as much new area to explore as the original gave us, and having the old map (altered, corrupted) between those new sky zones and tunnels isn't a negative.

To be fair it will be coupled with an already fantastic physics /chemistry engine. People already created some crazy stuff in BotW, I imagine this will just open the floodgates for some insane creations.

In fact the floating ship seems to be directly taken from crazy player inventions:

Last edited:

SantaC

It will definitely be like BOTW, it's a core aspect of how the game works. They would have to make some drastic changes to remove that and still keep it balanced, and I don't think that's happening in this seemingly very iterative game. Maybe they'll tweak it a bit (make weapons last a bit longer or whatever), but I absolutely don't see them removing weapons breaking completely.
Then i am out

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It makes me sad to realize that my favorite action/adventure series, medieval like setting, sword and shield, great dungeons suddenly start focusing on crafting vehicles and for some people that’s the high point of the trailer.

Yeah, I'm not interested in that in a Zelda game at all.

Ristifer

Yeah, you can tell that trailer was a wet fart when people are bringing up the presence of Nuts & Bolts' vehicle construction mechanics. If you're not floored with a Zelda trailer, Nintendo fucked up.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Anyone know where you can preorder the Amiibo? Was going to try and get the CE but the stuff included looks crap. I’d rather just get the base game and Amiibo.

Edit: Should have stated that I’m looking for preorders in the UK!
It's up on best buy in NA. Just pre-ordered it.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I've seen Brath of the Wild played in 4k...how the heck do people do this? I don't mind when playing undocked, but on a TV the game is kind of an eyesore if I'm being honest.

Chastten

Banned
Well, just pre-ordered the Collectors Edition so now the waiting game begins.

The trailer didn't do much for me so far but I'm fairly sure I'm gonna like the game regardless. And I'm a sucker for big boxes and artbooks.

Jsisto

The clips (from this and prior trailers) suggest that there is not only a vast network of new locations above in the clouds--some very large floating islands--but also a large interconnected system of vast caves. Those shots of dark areas with mushrooms and mining enemies are surely from the deep cave networks, and even the first trailers showing Link & Zelda walking into a cave suggested a large emphases on these new underground tunnels.

I'm certain that there will be just as much new area to explore as the original gave us, and having the old map (altered, corrupted) between those new sky zones and tunnels isn't a negative.

In fact the floating ship seems to be directly taken from crazy player inventions:

For real. If people seriously think Nintendo was just screwing around for 5 years and is just copy pasting a new story onto the same map, I don’t know what to tell you. I’ve been a Zelda fan long enough to know we’ve barely seen anything yet, and I’m sure we’ll find out in a month or so when the game gets a full length direct to itself. Really hoping we get more traditional dungeons, though. The sky, tunnels would be a great place to introduce new dungeons/temples to the world map.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

The sky stuff will be neat I'm sure, but there's clearly MUCH less of it than what's on the ground. And I'm sure there won't be cave systems that large either, just doesn't seem realistic. I don't think we will be stuck in dark, dank caves for half the game, that's just not what I think they want to make here. Some spelunking here and there, sure, that could definitely be fun (and was sorely missing from the original), but not to that extent. There's also nothing in any trailer suggesting any such massive cave networks at all, only that there will be some pretty big caves.

So, I very much doubt the sky and underground stuff together will add up to anywhere near "just as much new area" as in the original. More like maybe a 10-20% increase in total explorable area, with the vast majority of that total area being the same map as last time.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Well, just pre-ordered the Collectors Edition so now the waiting game begins.

The trailer didn't do much for me so far but I'm fairly sure I'm gonna like the game regardless. And I'm a sucker for big boxes and artbooks.
Just curious where did you find it? Apparently it sold out everywhere around here almost instantly.

daveonezero

Banned
mmmeh it's hard to be excited when you can recognize so much of the map and it's filled with the same enemies. They surely must have something up their sleeve considering BOTW released in 2017.

Yeah I think we are looking at a remixed BOTW map, underworld areas and sky islands.

As for the reused enemies we have already seen different "attributes" via gear on mobs and I think they will do a lot more multi mob groups and improve the AI.
Plus at least 2 new mini boss enemies shown. The Golem and bossbokoblin.

I think this could be surprisingly huge. Add on top of that new weapon mechanics, arrow types and shield attacks. I'm so down for this.

Oh and it may be Zelda Nuts and Bolts on top of all this. The physics system is still present and probably expanded on.

I have a theory that the $70 is due to creating a cartridge with higher storage than before, perhaps a new 128GB cartridge variation.
My thought as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom