• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape Vol. 3: Zero Time Dilemma |OT| Skip the first two games? Nein Nein Nein

JimPanzer

question to those already playing:

I have played both 999 and VLR to completion. I remember 999 pretty good, but not VLR. I've just read the story summary on the wiki and feel like I played a totally different game lol. I mean yes, I remember some points, but the plot didn't feel that convoluted as the summary on the wiki seems. How crucial is knowning all intracacies of VLR's plot for playing ZTD? I heard there are summary within ZTD, are those more concentrated on the important facts than the wiki summary?

etw4qNl.png

l46CzkLtiPJ6AAzhS.gif

...having said that,

if the plan is actually to ship out standard copies of the game now and have the watch come later, I would kind of expect these existing orders to stay as-is and the new "vanilla" copy to come through as its own separate order.

I'm waiting until after I beat SRW before starting this so people can find any glitches first. I never want to go through the garbage I did with VLR again. It's still unbelievable they never patched either of those save-destroying glitches.

Xypher

I read in a couple reviews that it's supposed to be pretty brutal, but I'm really not able to stand gore easily, I can't play God of War or Mortal Kombat for example. For those that already played a bit, do you think I'll be able to endure it? I was able to play 999 and VLR mostly without issues, besides a couple spots in 999 where the explanations got way too graphic for my taste. It would be sad if I played the first two but couldn't get through the last one.

Blobbers

Should I still play the second game if I know the twist?

1st and 2nd game spoilers
You're the buff dude who's the killer who's also the killer girl from the first game.

I didn't much enjoy the puzzles in the first game, so I need the promise of a few good twists to keep me motivated.

You're the buff dude who's the killer who's also the killer girl from the first game.

I didn't much enjoy the puzzles in the first game, so I need the promise of a few good twists to keep me motivated.

umm, there's a little more to that twist in VLR. it's not quite right as you described it.
there are also many other events in VLR referenced in ZTD, including the reason the events of ZTD take place.

That said, the puzzles in both ZTD and VLR are similar to 999, so there's no respite if you don't like them.

I have no idea what you're talking about, so I'm going to say you should check out VLR.

That makes no sense, so I think you got the twists wrong. But don't worry, there are PLENTY more. It's definitely worth a play. Progression is also a lot smoother in VLR. You only have to do each puzzle room once.

Eusis

I... Think I know how you came to that conclusion, but you're wrong still.

MegaMelon

Maybe I shouldn't say this but...those spoilers aren't true. The second game has a ton of twists, much more than 999. Please do yourself a favour and play VLR asap! Or at least before ZTD.

You're real lucky you haven't seen actual spoilers which is why I strongly advise you not to search for the second game on the internet and risk actually being spoiled.

That said, you should use a spoiler free puzzle guide if you disliked the puzzles in 999, since they're considerably harder imo in vlr.

Soriku

I can't tell if you wrote that wrong, but I know what you're getting at. But anyway I knew the identities of the Zeroes before I played 999 and VLR, and there are plenty more twists and the games are definitely still worth playing.

Alright guys, I'll definitely check VLR out. No puzzle revisiting is a major improvement if true

It is. Make sure you play them all on hard mode though, otherwise you WILL have to redo them. But don't worry, it's not THAT difficult. There is no puzzle difference. Your team mates just offer less hints in hard mode, that's all.

To see everything, make sure you get all the gold files.

kewlmyc

So the Watch Edition is having the watch ship at a later date, but Amazon has no idea and are waiting for the watches to come in?

Honestly, I rather cancel and get the game tomorrow than wait for a watch I'll wear twice then never wear again.

Soriku

It is. Make sure you play them all on hard mode though, otherwise you WILL have to redo them. But don't worry, it's not THAT difficult. There is no puzzle difference. Your team mates just offer less hints in hard mode, that's all.

IIRC you don't really have to redo them. You already have the passwords and can enter them in the safes and leave.

They're not just good, both 999 and VLR are masterpieces! Hands down the best story in videogames.

Ehhhh, 999 was pretty amazing but when I finished VLR I couldn't help but feel it only served to set up this new game. Had lots of neat twists and ideas but definitely felt more like a bridging chapter between the first and last than its own game.

Then again I only played VLR last month so I knew there was a sequel coming.

Zero III was great though.

MegaMelon

Iirc you need to beat all puzzle rooms to unlock the SPOILERS
epilogue with ?
. Which I consider essential due to the revelation of the character in spoiler.

SilentRob

But don't you have to get all gold files to... you know?

For a short epilogue ending scene you do.

If you got the silver files on easy I think you can use the same passwords to get the gold files on hard. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct.

I also want to reiterate: You HAVE to have played the first two games. In fact, even if you did: Read up on them. I am so, so happy I replayed both games directly before starting Zero Time Dilemma.

I can't wait, I really can't. 999 and VLR replays this month have been the cause of many late nights and tired mornings. Going to be refreshing the UK PSN store all day.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, under spoilers, anything big we should know to get 100% with this game the most efficient way?

Is this game up for preload on the 3DS yet? Wanna get an hour or so in tonight before bed.

varkuriru

Does anyone know if you buy a gift copy of the game in Steam then it should qualify for the bonus items if bought within july 8?

So, under spoilers, anything big we should know to get 100% with this game the most efficient way?

Is this game up for preload on the 3DS yet? Wanna get an hour or so in tonight before bed.

You will most likely get everythign in your first play through barring 1 trophy

this involves quest files and basically involves making sure you do get every note/ document in a puzzle room. there's a menu tab for this to kpee track of what you're missing though so don't worry.

Ehhhh, 999 was pretty amazing but when I finished VLR I couldn't help but feel it only served to set up this new game. Had lots of neat twists and ideas but definitely felt more like a bridging chapter between the first and last than its own game.

Then again I only played VLR last month so I knew there was a sequel coming.

Zero III was great though.

I pretty much agree with you, but I don't look at that as a negative, like at all. I'm fine with VLR being a bridging chapter. **shrugs**

aravuus

Decided to go with the PC version, now I just gotta decide if I want to start playing it as soon as it unlocks. Leaving for a music festival Wednesday afternoon and I won't be back until Sunday, so while I might be able to squeeze in 6-7 hours of ZTD before the train leaves, I doubt I'll remember any of it when I come back lol.

Mepsi

I'm so bummed out that Europe ain't getting a physical copy for this. I want this game so damn bad and have the first 2 physical for DS/3DS and can't get around the region lock for the 3DS version of 3. It's gonna kill me inside to have to import it physical on vita or go digital on 3DS.

Top Bottom