• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape Vol. 3: Zero Time Dilemma |OT| Skip the first two games? Nein Nein Nein

Smellycat

So, something is definitely off here. There is no way for me to proceed in the game. I have 1 locked fragment for both teams C and D, and I have 3 locked fragments for Team Q, and I have completed every section in the other fragments.

Is there a known glitch in this game? Or am I overlooking something?

So, something is definitely off here. There is no way for me to proceed in the game. I have 1 locked fragment for both teams C and D, and I have 3 locked fragments for Team Q, and I have completed every section in the other fragments.

Is there a known glitch in this game? Or am I overlooking something?

Usually the solution is to
redo the vote outcome. You control which group is executed, if any, so keep re-voting until each group has been executed once.

Bit more than an hour in, and I ain't feeling it- Partly due to knowing most of the cast, partly due to the atrocious presentation, partly due to the boring bomb shelter, partly due to repeatedly hearing that the ending (and ZTD overall) is shit, partly due to not much happening so far save for character introductions.

The build up to the ending is INCREDIBLE! Tons of cool plot twists that just keep on coming one after the other. The actual ending I thought was good too.

Ignore the small, vocal haters and form your own opinion on the game - which personally I think is on par, or maybe even slightly better than VLR.

10.5 hours in. I'm loving it, though I think the fragments, teams and the whole Telltale presentation shtick might have hurt the overall feel of the game so far (they limit character interactions and hurt immersion, for one).

So far no mindfuckery, but the thing is, a couple Game Overs are absolutely fucking incredible.

Narroo

10.5 hours in. I'm loving it, though I think the fragments, teams and the whole Telltale presentation shtick might have hurt the overall feel of the game so far (they limit character interactions and hurt immersion, for one).

So far no mindfuckery, but the thing is, a couple Game Overs are absolutely fucking incredible.
There's not much MF in this game. A couple of pointless twists, followed by an absolutely bad twist, and then it's over.

Eh, at least they give you a good reason as to why the game is split into fragments - since they keep waking up with no memories.

Also it's great later when things begin to connect and you can then figure out who died, who killed them and why they died.

There's not much MF in this game. A couple of pointless twists, followed by an absolutely bad twist, and then it's over.

No separate wards existing
was such an amazing, underrated twist in this game. It blew my mind and was very clever.

Welp. Got two important endings (
Q-End 1 and D-End 1
) and while it might have been my fault to play the game during daytime, these endings didn't get to me as much as they should have. I blame the fragment system for the latter, felt too out of the blue. As for the former... I don't know what turned me off from it. A bit expected, maybe? Maybe it was the presentation for both.

Only got one Q fragment left and then I'll start to
manipulate votes and the decontamination room button presses

Smellycat

Was anyone else forced to turn on the subtitles? I had a tough time hearing zero and the announcer especially when loud music kicked in

Eh, at least they give you a good reason as to why the game is split into fragments since they keep waking up with no memories.

Also it's great later when things begin to connect and you can then figure out who died, who killed them and why they died.

was such an amazing, underrated twist in this game. It blew my mind and was very clever.

Yeah I absolutely loved that twist and it made perfect sense. The
Sigma/Phi/Diana twist was also fantastic and explained the hilarious interactions between Phi and Sigma and the emotional ones between Phi and Diana
. I also thought the decision games were very tense and I was nervous when making a decision.

You've probably had 100 people asking the exact same thing ITT but (big spoilers)
how do I progress after unlocking all variations I could of the initial batch of fragments, including getting all teams killed by vote and the yellow button? Still have some stuff left such as "WHO KILLED MIRA" and the Force Quit Boxes. I recall Q had a Decision of inputting something in the Quantum Computer room, and I wanted to find where it was, but for the life of me I can NOT find that Fragment, nor the beginning fragment of Q-Team (didn't check the others). Got D-End 1 and Q-End 1, both of which should have been more effective than they were, also the Happy END for Q (when he decides to live in VR). Fragments, teams and not-VN really hurt my attachment to the cast, the game, and the plot so far.

Edit:

4 locked fragments for C-Team, 2 for Q-Team, one for D-Team. No exclamation marks on the big flowchart in individual events mode.

You've probably had 100 people asking the exact same thing ITT but (big spoilers)
how do I progress after unlocking all variations I could of the initial batch of fragments, including getting all teams killed by vote and the yellow button? Still have some stuff left such as "WHO KILLED MIRA" and the Force Quit Boxes. I recall Q had a Decision of inputting something in the Quantum Computer room, and I wanted to find where it was, but for the life of me I can NOT find that Fragment, nor the beginning fragment of Q-Team (didn't check the others). Got D-End 1 and Q-End 1, both of which should have been more effective than they were, also the Happy END for Q (when he decides to live in VR). Fragments, teams and not-VN really hurt my attachment to the cast, the game, and the plot so far.

Edit:

4 locked fragments for C-Team, 2 for Q-Team, one for D-Team. No exclamation marks on the big flowchart in individual events mode.

If I'm thinking the point you're at correctly:

If you haven't gotten past the "Who Killed Mira" bit, that's probably where you need to go

Hints in ascending detail:
Hint 1:
Do you know who the killer is?
Hint 2:
Answer truthfully
Hint 3:
There's an option other than giving an answer...

Solution:
Answer some variation of I don't know/donno or let the time run out.

Nezzhil

I finished the game this week, and while I loved the "Decision Games" and some moments of the game like the
Diana's Ending, the Carlos Team crazy SHIFTING time and the true of the wards
, the ending, the puzzles and the pacing where a bit lacking to me.

I'm not disappointed with the game and I'm very grateful that it exists, but 999 and Last Virtue were clearly better.

I wanted more interaction between all the characters and not only during the true ending.

I hope that the next game of Uchikoshi is something new, and if it's an horror/mystery story the better.

If I'm thinking the point you're at correctly:

If you haven't gotten past the "Who Killed Mira" bit, that's probably where you need to go

Hints in ascending detail:
Hint 1:
Do you know who the killer is?
Hint 2:
Answer truthfully
Hint 3:
There's an option other than giving an answer...

Solution:
Answer some variation of I don't know/donno or let the time run out.
I'm
not at a point where I have a guess about Mira's killer. I just got to the end of that fragment. Got a couple locks as well like the Stranded Couple one and Carlos' Sin.

I'm not disappointed with the game and I'm very grateful that it exists, but 999 and Last Virtue were clearly better.

I wanted more interaction between all the characters and not only during the true ending.

The biggest problem with the game was that they didn't have some sort of still portrait/model where they could just slap a bookload of just text over everything. That massively limited what they could say vs the previous two games, and it's a shame.

I'm
not at a point where I have a guess about Mira's killer. I just got to the end of that fragment. Got a couple locks as well like the Stranded Couple one and Carlos' Sin.

Urm. I'd need to see a picture of the big flowchart to guess what you're missing then.

the small, vocal haters

Yeah, no, on GAF ZTD will likely fall behind VLR's #12 GOTY spot by a large margin. The enthusiasm is for this game is strikingly limited compared to both previous games. For the series' ending in particular it's kind of a Mass Effect 3 situation and newcomers are better off with expectations in check to eventually have a better time.

Found what I was missing. It's 2am. I'm amazed.

I didn't realize the WHO KILLED mIRA thing had a countdown, also I thought the odds for the 1/216 throw was actually 1/216 so I didn't even bother lol.

Fixing those unlocked the Reactor fragment, and from that it went on in a chain of SHIFTs until I got D-End 2 and then I got stuck save for the final option in the 3-way shootout and the Force Quit Boxes and Door of Truth, so I stopped.

Holy shit. Holy fucking shit. I wasn't expecting the controversial D-End 2 to be that of all things. Holy SHIT. Fuck mang. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck FUCK. Seeing Diana go from "Hey, it's peaceful" to borderline breakdown ("If you don't hate me, then sleep with me." gave me the biggest fucking chills since I first played Clover END) to the hilariously campy pod scene to the twins to seeing Diana place the pendant and the brooch inside the Input pods. Seeing Sigma find happiness after all those years, decades, timelines. Diana's smile. The bittersweetness of it all.

ZTD overall didn't give me the feeling I'm really playing the conclusion to Zero Escape, but D-End 2, although it didn't make me cry, gave me the feeling of ultimate payoff. It wouldn't be too hyperbolic to say it repaired the wound Luna END left on my soul three years ago.

Easily the best thing about ZTD so far, and I'd call it Uchi's A-game (something I would not say for the VLR timeline ending or any other scene).

my expectations are slowly rising for ZTD. maybe I'll be one of the few who ends up loving the ending. Hopefully so.

Life is good.

Vita certa, hora incerta.

TheExodu5

Banned
Probably around 1/3 of the way through now. Loving it.

The animations and models are awful compared to the last two games...shame they didn't just stick with 2D portraits.

Still, the puzzles seem better designed, and the game, so far, is wasting far less time with pointless drivel. I expect it to have a terrible twist that I dislike like the previous game, but at least the overall experience is pretty enjoyable.

Performance is abysmal on PS Vita, though.

The build up to the ending is INCREDIBLE! Tons of cool plot twists that just keep on coming one after the other. The actual ending I thought was good too.

Ignore the small, vocal haters and form your own opinion on the game - which personally I think is on par, or maybe even slightly better than VLR.

I've seen things with small groups of vocal haters.

Zero Time Dilemma is not that.

That doesn't mean that everyone hates it, but it's not just a few vocal people.

Obviously everyone should form their own opinion, but I don't think it's helpful to just label the criticisms as a vocal minority. In a lot of people's opinion, the game really shits the bed at the end.

I've got a request for anyone who could point me in the right direction. I'm interesting in watching a Let's Play with commentary from someone who hadn't yet played the first two games, does anyone any LPs? I found Hanna's but it seems she stopped playing

Yeah, no, on GAF ZTD will likely fall behind VLR's #12 GOTY spot by a large margin. The enthusiasm is for this game is strikingly limited compared to both previous games. For the series' ending in particular it's kind of a Mass Effect 3 situation and newcomers are better off with expectations in check to eventually have a better time.

I've seen things with small groups of vocal haters.

Zero Time Dilemma is not that.

That doesn't mean that everyone hates it, but it's not just a few vocal people.

Obviously everyone should form their own opinion, but I don't think it's helpful to just label the criticisms as a vocal minority. In a lot of people's opinion, the game really shits the bed at the end.

It seems to me that a lot of people said they loved the game earlier in this thread and simply moved on while the same people that were disappointed keep hanging around.

But whatever, it is what it is. All that matters is that I loved it and that I thought it was a worthy finale.

Kolx

So I didn't play the game yet since I just finished vlr a few days back, but the impression I heard is not really encouraging. Is the conclusion of the series really isn't that great or is it just people having very high expectations cuz of the last 2 games?

So I didn't play the game yet since I just finished vlr a few days back, but the impression I heard is not really encouraging. Is the conclusion of the series really isn't that great or is it just people having very high expectations cuz of the last 2 games?

Both.

It just doesn't meet the expectations set by the previous two.
The 'shocking twist' is so much worse (not going to say why for spoiler reasons), and it ends a lot more abruptly (VLR had hours of revelations at the end), plus all the music used in the big scenes are just remixes from the previous entries rather than new tracks.

You'll probably enjoy it more with lowered expectations.

It seems most people's main problem is the final twist and what comes after it. Personally I liked the twist (it has A LOT of foreshadowing). I honestly got goosebumbs at the reveal.

And make no mistake, lots of questions do get answered, but it seems like people just can't get past the very end even though everything before it (especially the stuff that happens just before the final twist) is incredibly good!

I think I am about to get into the ending scenes (have like 3 locked Fragments left), so I'll wait until it's dark outside.

(big spoilers)
The whole D-End 2 arc is the highest point of the game for me. The rest was enjoyable but not quite on the level of Zero Escape. Just passed the Door of Truth. The ward twist is pretty good, Danganronpa 2 vibes all around.

Done. Finished. Platinum.
Plaudite, acta es fabula.

It's easily the biggest disappointment I have ever felt in my gaming life, and in the running for top 5-10 biggest disappointments overall in the last couple years.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Done. Finished. Platinum.
Plaudite, acta es fabula.

It's easily the biggest disappointment I have ever felt in my gaming life, and in the running for top 5-10 biggest disappointments overall in the last couple years.
Take this, but add the fact that I didn't even enjoy that D-End 2 (too much camp) and that's how I feel. VLR deserved better.

I remember thinking one of the first thing I was going to do with a NeoGAF account was get into the Zero Escape thread but after ZTD there's not much I want to say. That much of a disappointment as a conclusion.

Busaiku

Uhh, so was I supposed to keep with pre-release material and stuff?
This is the first time everyone knows they know each other, and they're referencing things before the game.
Everyone starts at the same point too, so would it just be flashbacks or references that we won't know about?

Griss

I was similarly invested in Mass Effect as I was in Zero Escape and I found ZTD to be a far more disappointing finale than ME3.

...damn, you really helped me put it in perspective for myself there.

Narroo

Eh, at least they give you a good reason as to why the game is split into fragments - since they keep waking up with no memories.

Honestly, that was a good twist. It's the only actually good one I can think of.
It made sense and was reasonably well done. It was bizarre that the wards were separated they way they were with critical rooms balkanized. D-2 Ending shows why. The 'need to sleep' deal was suspicious too. Finally, they actually give you the puzzle pieces to figure it out yourself. (Of course, doing this ruins the fun. It's best to just go with the flow.) As such, the one ward twist was well done! Although, it does raise something of a plot hole: In the D2 ending, how did Diana and Sigma never figure it out after a year? All it took was Junpei to throw a chair at the wall to break it: Did they never touch the walls - which should have looked like glass, look around, or anything?

You know, with access to the cold sleep room, they could have put themselves into suspended animation if they ran out of food in the pantry. Hopefully for them, Delta was enough of an egotist that he decided that he wouldn't make an infant version of himself starve, and instead programmed the other wards to unlock after the teleportation. And maybe just flatout open the main door.

Busaiku

Huh, so based on this first bad ending (the shortest C path), after the initial "bad" ending",
guess they aren't playing the game at the same time

OK, I just started (2 hours in) and I have a few questions/comments.
Great opening.
I thought the whole point of VLR was so young Sigma would be trained and ready for ZTD. What's up with old Sigma, he didn't get any jump training; unless he inherited that from young Sigma in VLR? I know the timeline is wonky but Phi seems to remember VLR.

I hate Second Zero's voice, it reminds me of Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs.
The models/animation budget is almost non-existent. Stiff movements and cutting away to black/static screens when something else is happening is cheap. I thought this way in VLR but this is many steps down from that.

If things are going to be explained later don't bother; I want to make sure I know what I should know going into this.

Wichu

Is there a way to see where you are on the flowchart, prior to completing the room?
I feel like I'm getting lost here.

Each fragment's place in the global flowchart is only revealed once you've completed that fragment. You can often guess by matching up the fragment shape, though - some of them are really obvious (e.g. the one with four branches).

Narroo

I hate Second Zero's voice, it reminds me of Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs.
The models/animation budget is almost non-existent. Stiff movements and cutting away to black/static screens when something else is happening is cheap. I thought this way in VLR but this is many steps down from that.

The few 'cinematic' scenes of VLR and the character models were pretty much the same quality as the ones here. Yet, we loose the visual novel aspect. Cinematic scenes were supposed to be a selling point, but instead it looks more like a cost cutting measure.

Busaiku

Oh snap!
All 6 billion!
Each fragment's place in the global flowchart is only revealed once you've completed that fragment. You can often guess by matching up the fragment shape, though - some of them are really obvious (e.g. the one with four branches).
Didn't know you can follow the branches, just saw the pictures initially.
Shoukd've meassed around earlier, bleh.

mstevens

This was by far my most highly anticipated game for the longest time.. I'm not sure how I'm just now getting around to playing it! I'm a couple hours in and really liking the mix of the cast so far. I've heard complaints about Phi in this game being a watered down version, but she gives the same "kinda bored because of how much more logical and insightful she is than everyone else" vibe she gave in VLR (which is not a diss.. I like that about her).

I don't really noticeably miss the VN elements either.

pariah164

You don't have bad taste at all. ZTD is an amazing game and definitely a worthy sequel to VLR.

999 -10/10
OKJgpO7m.jpg

VLR - 9.8/10
nMBVrDXm.jpg

ZTD - 9.8/10
O3RWyFWm.jpg

Best gaming trilogy of all time.
This. I love this trilogy. I am still sad it's over. ;_;

Can anyone help me? I'm stuck.

I'm on the very last path, far left on the fragment screen. I'm at 'Kill button:D' but nothing I do progresses the game. Every other fragment in the game is unlocked and complete

Can anyone help me? I'm stuck.

I'm on the very last path, far left on the fragment screen. I'm at 'Kill button:D' but nothing I do progresses the game. Every other fragment in the game is unlocked and complete

Do you have
all the teams executed ? Look at the global flowchart.

Fluxdyne

Do you have
all the teams executed ? Look at the global flowchart.

Just to be clear here,
are all the execution vote outcomes nodes lit in the global flowchart? There are four of them. Simply voting both options for all teams is not enough to get all outcomes.

Top Bottom