• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ziff Davis selling 1up, EGM, rest of game division.

Rlan

True, there are some stupid companies out there :(

But in terms of the financial news, well,w ouldn't that be one of the reasons why OPM got taken out back?

Shard said:
The odd thing here is this is the second time that ZD has done a sale of this nature. (They used to own Gamespot till it was sold to Cnet.)

Didn't c|net just buy Gamespot along with ZDNet?

LevelNth

Banned
I will be shocked if the new owners don't get rid of EGM and the other mags. Shit is a sinkhole nowadays, and I'd be really surprised if readership hasn't been slowly fading year after year. Not that it's the fault of any of the crew though, but it's just the nature of this industry's relationship with technology and the internet. Magazines just don't work like they used to anymore, and it's a problem that isn't getting anything but worse as time goes on.

I think 1UP sits in a great spot to be positioned as the leader among the online gaming sites, and a major refocus and strengthening within right now, during this generational shift, is the best time for it.

Rlan said:
True, there are some stupid companies out there :(

But in terms of the financial news, well,w ouldn't that be one of the reasons why OPM got taken out back?

Certainly could be. I guessed the main reason was that Sony wanted to pull the demo disc and ZD didn't see a good financial reason to continue it without. But yeah, it had to be a factor, maybe the biggest one, maybe not.

Zonar

sp0rsk said:
You guys just wait till all the 1up editors get modship here! It's too bad were going to have to get rid of 1up yours though. That's a shame. Oh well, they will always have a seat as special guests on the gafcast.
Hell yea! I'll put in my 100 (payapal)

shuri

Banned
Let's not forget how every mag looks and feel the same. I really miss the days when gaming journalists and mags actually had personality.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
GitarooMan said:
Uh oh, too many free subs to EGM maybe...I just hope AOL doesn't buy it and make some shite like AOL games or something.

Worse; would be a Future Publishing purchase. All integrity = no more.

Grok4Spock

sp0rsk said:
You guys just wait till all the 1up editors get modship here! It's too bad were going to have to get rid of 1up yours though. That's a shame. Oh well, they will always have a seat as special guests on the gafcast.
NeoGAF 360 confirmed....

shuri said:
Let's not forget how every mag looks and feel the same. I really miss the days when gaming journalists and mags actually had personality.

Not that I've read many gaming mags since the early 90s but I miss the days when every issue was as thick as a phone book. Personality? Wuzzat?

Zonar

The Mighty Schwein said:
Not that I've read many gaming mags since the early 90s but I miss the days when every issue was as thick as a phone book. Personality? Wuzzat?
Do you remember the one with doom 2 on the cover it was HUGE!

tebunker

Banned
how much do you think they'd sell for? You know, just in case I have about 20 million sitting around to make an offer.

Makro

Banned
boutrosinit said:
Worse; would be a Future Publishing purchase. All integrity = no more.

EGM had lost all integrity long before this. It's the magazine that puts rumors on its cover.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
There is no reason for videogame print magazines to exist.

Eventually, they won't.

GDJustin said:

Eventually, they won't.

Magazines will be around for a long time. Maybe the generation of kids growing up now won't mind losing them, but good luck getting all the readers like me to switch to web exclusive, for all the reasons I listed above. The web mags have a long way to go before they can purport to fill in all of those blanks, and many of them aren't even in their control.

squicken

So 1up/EGM have the bias for MS? I thought you guys said that was Gamespot? Can someone give me a roadmap to the affiliations of the various gamesites' and forums so I can browse the intratubes more knowledgeably?

Azih

sp0rsk said:
NoooOOOOoOOOOOoOOOOOOOOOOO!

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I'm not suprised by this at all. The internet is really doing a number to paper publications. Hope all turns out well.

Tobor

Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, there are a lot of reasons to go with a print magazine.
- Exclusive content
- Attractive and easy to read formatting
- Portability
- Easy to flip through a large source of information
- The space limit also ensures more concise writing, often leading to higher quality writing that gets to the point
- Reading a mag isn't as hard on the eyes as reading off a screen
- No pop-up or pop-under noisy animated ads
- When I turn the page, it works every time. Not so every time I click a link!

Probably more I could think of with time, but the point remains. Magazines and websites complement each other, like EGM and 1up do. I wouldn't want to see mags go anywhere.

Regardless of what you want to happen(as your opinion is of course valid), print is dying. Forums and websites are killing it. My rebuttal to your points:

Exclusive content - anything truly relevant will be on GAF, before the magazine hits the stands. Lets say EGM manages to keep something exclusive a secret. "EGM breaks news about ....."will be on GAF page 1 before the mag circulates.

Attractive and easy to read formatting - sure, but attractive enough to warrant the cost of the magazine? Not likely.

Portability - Sounds like you need a new phone. I have access to GAF from anywhere(even the toilet!) in a higly readable format. I post quite frequently from my phone.

easy to flip through a large source of information - when you find a magazine that is easier to flip through than a search function on a website, let me know.

higher quality writing - good point here, but immediacy still wins the day to my mind

hard on the eyes - epaper is coming quicker than you think. There are perfect contrast ebook readers available now.

pop ups - you using internet explorer? this has been long solved.

works every time - again, worth the money? Not to enough people apparently. Ill take free with the occasional glitch myself.

Magazines geared towards older less tech savvy readers(Old people monthly?) still have some legs. Anything else is going to keep getting squeezed. The next 10 years will be a bloodbath.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Vibri said:
I wonder which major media companies are left out there who could buy them?

News Corp = already has IGN
AOL = already has GameDaily
Comcast = already has G4
Viacom = already had Gametrailers.com
Cnet = already has Gamespot
Warner and Disney?

Tobor said:
Regardless of what you want to happen(as your opinion is of course valid), print is dying. Forums and websites are killing it. My rebuttal to your points:

Exclusive content - anything truly relevant will be on GAF, before the magazine hits the stands. Lets say EGM manages to keep something exclusive a secret. "EGM breaks news about ....."will be on GAF page 1 before the mag circulates.

Attractive and easy to read formatting - sure, but attractive enough to warrant the cost of the magazine? Not likely.

Portability - Sounds like you need a new phone. I have access to GAF from anywhere(even the toilet!) in a higly readable format. I post quite frequently from my phone.

easy to flip through a large source of information - when you find a magazine that is easier to flip through than a search function on a website, let me know.

higher quality writing - good point here, but immediacy still wins the day to my mind

hard on the eyes - epaper is coming quicker than you think. There are perfect contrast ebook readers available now.

works every time - again, worth the money? Not to enough people apparently. Ill take free with the occasional glitch myself.

Magazines geared towards older less tech savvy readers(Old people monthly?) still have some legs. Anything else is going to keep getting squeezed. The next 10 years will be a bloodbath.

While I agree that (sadly) gaming print publications' days are numbered, most of your reasons apply only to the most technological savvy people, not your random guys who buy Game Informer to read about Halo 3. E-paper? Scouring web forums full of wackos to read a story a day before your issue arrives at your home? Posting on those web forums from your cell phone? Hell, using something other than Internet Explorer? This stuff really isn't interesting or useful to average gamers.

On news, codes, and partially on reviews, the internet has won the day. There's no question. By exclusive content I was more referring to features, which are sometimes photo-rich and layout dependent. I have no illusions about the waning popularity of print, but extinction is a long way away.

Attractive and easier to read formatting along with high quality writing that works everytime will always be worth the money to me. Sometimes, you get what you pay for.

I've yet to find a website search function easier and more reliable than an index and my fingers.

Perfect contrast is still a screen, not paper. There is absolutely a difference that they are never going to be able to correct.

As for ads, I suppose I could use an adblocker, but I don't. Pop-ups usually get squashed, but pop-unders and embedded ads still show up with my browser.

On the portability issue, I'm afraid I can't ever see myself enjoying reading pure text content off a tiny screen while on the bus or the throne.

Magazines will go away eventually, I'm sure. But I don't see why people would want them to. As I said before, the inherent weaknesses of the format are the strengths of the web format, and the inherent weaknesses of the web format are the strengths of the print format.

Tobor

Chris Remo said:
While I agree that (sadly) gaming print publications' days are numbered, most of your reasons apply only to the most technological savvy people, not your random guys who buy Game Informer to read about Halo 3. E-paper? Scouring web forums full of wackos to read a story a day before your issue arrives at your home? Posting on those web forums from your cell phone? Hell, using something other than Internet Explorer? This stuff really isn't interesting or useful to average gamers.

Fair enough, but subscriptions are dwindling, and the readers are going somewhere. My points about GAF are for the hardcore, but replace it with IGN and 1up, or even G4 to some extent. The average gamers are certainly finding these just fine.

Tobor

Segata Sanshiro said:
On news, codes, and partially on reviews, the internet has won the day. There's no question. By exclusive content I was more referring to features, which are sometimes photo-rich and layout dependent. I have no illusions about the waning popularity of print, but extinction is a long way away.

Attractive and easier to read formatting along with high quality writing that works everytime will always be worth the money to me. Sometimes, you get what you pay for.

I've yet to find a website search function easier and more reliable than an index and my fingers.

Perfect contrast is still a screen, not paper. There is absolutely a difference that they are never going to be able to correct.

As for ads, I suppose I could use an adblocker, but I don't. Pop-ups usually get squashed, but pop-unders and embedded ads still show up with my browser.

On the portability issue, I'm afraid I can't ever see myself enjoying reading pure text content off a tiny screen while on the bus or the throne.

Magazines will go away eventually, I'm sure. But I don't see why people would want them to. As I said before, the inherent weaknesses of the format are the strengths of the web format, and the inherent weaknesses of the web format are the strengths of the print format.

I spent a good portion of my childhood reading gaming mags, so I'm not gleeful about there demise, just realistic. As fanciful as some of my comments may seem, the big picture is unmistakeable.

The Mighty Schwein said:

Thick as a phone book and didn't consist of 50%+ advertising. I used to pay to subscribe to EGM, Gamepro, OPM, and other magazines, but canceled them all when they got filled completely with ads and garbage editorials/ratings.

The only magazine I subscribe to now is PSM. Mostly for toilet reading and a backlog of reviews/ratings/screenshots without having to turn on my laptop and surf the net. Also, they usually tell it the way they see it. So if they feel the need to badmouth Sony, developers, games, hardware, etc., they will. If they feel the need to praise them, they will do that as well. I guess that's the freedom you get when you're independently owned and don't have answer to big corporations writing your checks every month. Of course the downside is, staffing is minimal and content just isn't as meaty as it should be.

I could have sworn I first heard this news two or three months ago. Either way, the publications as is would most likely still exist, may get restructured a bit, but the 1up branding effort seems to have won a lot of mindshare over the past year.

Heh, the phone book ones were 50% ads back then too, but 50% of 500 pages still beat 50% of 200 that we get nowadays. The content today is a lot better though.

itsme

Banned
Tobor said:
I spent a good portion of my childhood reading gaming mags, so I'm not gleeful about there demise, just realistic. As fanciful as some of my comments may seem, the big picture is unmistakeable.
I second that. Nowadays, when there is TGS, we see the coverage as it happens instead of waiting for the next issue of EGM to come out 2 months after the actual event. Especially with the football-like nature of gaming industry, the lead time can't be compensated. Sure they can secure a few exclusives, but that's not enough to warrant the future. With today's release schedules, developers release games as games get finalized, so mags enjoying early copy of finished games to review 2 months before everyone else seems a thing of the past.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Heh, the phone book ones were 50% ads back then too, but 50% of 500 pages still beat 50% of 200 that we get nowadays. The content today is a lot better though.

Nah, the ads weren't as prevalent back then as it is today. And I don't believe they were 500 pages back then either, lol...

Flynn

You wanna see some ads? Check out an issue of Wired from the dot.com boom. And it seemed like most of the editorial was profiles of VCs and CEOs. They've made quite a turn-around since then.

john tv

Chris Remo said:
I can't imagine trying to operate a video game media outlet out of Chicago rather than San Francisco. There's just too much industry press-related stuff that happens in this city. Believe me I'd probably be living elsewhere (even elsewhere in the Bay Area) but my job basically requires I be here.
It wasn't as difficult as people make it sound. Every publisher makes visits to NY regularly to do press tours and show off products to east coast editors and publications, so stopping off at Chicago along the way was no big deal (in fact, most PR people loved it because it gave them an excuse to see the city). We had people visiting us almost every other day when we were in Chicago. I'm sure it still goes on up in Minnesota, too.

ZD already had offices in SF, though (CGW mainly, but also EGM's west coast editors), and when it came time to consolidate, SF just made more sense than IL.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm not really sure what I'd do if EGM dies... I've been reading it since I was 8 years old, and I'm 22 now. It'd be kind of like your religion announcing that it's being discontinued.

Great news. A magazine and website full of a bunch of wankers. Their "everything sucks" attitude is pretty typical among people our age, but it makes for a shit read. Maybe this will finally humble them.

ourumov

mistuhcahlos said:
Great news. A magazine and website full of a bunch of wankers. Their "everything sucks" attitude is pretty typical among people our age, but it makes for a shit read. Maybe this will finally humble them.
:lol :lol :lol

Not that I agree word by word with what you say... But at least for me, 1up podcasts stopped being interesting looooong time ago...

MC Safety

GDJustin said:

Eventually, they won't.

The vast majority of Web writing is better suited for the toilet, but magazines are, you know, more with the portable.

{Mike}

Banned
I think the gaming's press is getting even more shrinked as time goes. It's like everything is set to fuse together or fall apart. I just hope these guys, who do a wonderful job at covering the industry, will be able to continue to do what they love without having to change too much their content.

Kabouter

Vibri said:
I wonder which major media companies are left out there who could buy them?

News Corp = already has IGN
AOL = already has GameDaily
Comcast = already has G4
Viacom = already had Gametrailers.com
Cnet = already has Gamespot

What about Vivendi, Disney or Bertelsmann AG?

jj984jj said:
Warner and Disney?

Warner and AOL are one.

Top Bottom