• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

fart town usa

Gold Member
From what I am hearing, I like the "Dark Souls" style of survaving.

Question: how is the graphic side of the game? Reviewers seems to be complaining about the low res textures and so on.

The graphics are good but nothing that the ps3/360 couldn't handle.

It's the games art style and atmosphere that sets it apart, I really like the way it looks.

Malvingt2

the scanner of this game give me a lot of hope for a Metroid Prime game. It has that feeling, it is indeed overuse but that is need it for this slow pace game. I can see why some people hated it this game with the reviews. This is a survivor horror not a damn straight FPS. I am loving the feeling of not being safe..

I was really on the fence about Wii U, and I only bought it because it was literally right in front of me leaving work. ZombiU was the only game at launch that interested me and I was kind of apprehensive opening it because the first couple of reviews were all over the place. My entire purchase was riding on this one games success or failure......

I was so relived when I started playing. I love the way the gamepad is used in this game. The graphics are not next Gen but the way the pad is used is. If developers use this approach for other first person games I will be so happy. I want this type of experience from my Wii U games. I'm anticipating Aliens Colonial Marines because of how they described using the game pad.

Reposting this from a few pages ago since I didn't see a reply:

I'm stuck! Anyone know what needs done to get to the
Buckingham Palace gates after clearing out the supermarket. I went back to Tht Bricks Market area to where the hoard used to be and came upon a keypad that needs a code. There are some symbols nearby but fuck me if I can decipher what I'm supposed to do.

DSmalls84

The graphics are good but nothing that the ps3/360 couldn't handle.

It's the games art style and atmosphere that sets it apart, I really like the way it looks.

Yeah I was gonna say that I haven't really noticed bad textures but then again I haven't really been looking for them either. I guess it's a good sign if nothing has grabbed my attention as being noticeably bad though. Looks fine to me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I gotta admit, I fucking love this game thus far. It's far and away the shining star of the WiiU launch. There are so many great ideas here and the whole thing just plays out brilliantly.

There hasn't been a survival horror title like this in ages and I love it!

Malvingt2

I gotta admit, I fucking love this game thus far. It's far and away the shining star of the WiiU launch. There are so many great ideas here and the whole thing just plays out brilliantly.

I agree.. A lot of great ideas. Ubisoft did good here. The melee complains are fair.. but I think it is done by design. I don't know but it doesn't bother me that much.

DSmalls84

I'm not really sure how useful the tag messages are going to be. I found 3 of them so far and 1 was a smily face someone put on a bathroom mirror the other two were strings of symbols that were undecipherable. It might just be people playing around with the features since it's only been out a day, but hopefully people will use them to put some useful information up once the game is out longer.

stuminus3

Banned
Phew, this is sounding like something I need in my life after all. Excite Truck indeed. Thanks, GAF.

Now, if only I had a Wii U. Damnit!

beje

Banned
And now I know why I don't care about gaming media again...
Seriously they hated on Excite Truck?

72% on Metacritic. And the only things it legitimately lacked were online matches and having bots in multi. Not the kind of stuff you would throw a launch game under the bus for, honestly.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I've played through the first hour. I just finished
the hoard that was attacking the safe room. Lost 4 survivors doing that. Seemed almost too rough at that point in the game.
Lost my first survivor 45 minutes in when I met my first screamer, because I couldn't find the exit in the dark and was starting to get swarmed. Lost about 4 during the sequence after that.

Atmosphere is really good and for the most part, the Game Pad use is great. I enjoy the slower pace exploration of scanning rooms, and having a small inventory you have to manage. The only pieces that don't fit well are the opening of doors and gateway with tapping on the touch screen. Seems rather pointless and adds nothing.

The world they've created is detailed with objects everywhere, but very little can be interacted with and because you can scan an area easily.. there's not a lot of point in exploring if you know there are no items around.

Overall, I'm pleased with the game early on. It's about what I expected from reading impressions. Definitely not a turd someone were fearing, but a zombie game this slow and punishing isn't for everyone.

Roto13

I'm really surprised at the positive reception. I just kind of assumed this game was going to be crap that was just rushed out to be a launch game. :p It sounds more like the kind of game that some people aren't going to "get" but those who do get it are going to enjoy a lot.

I think I want to pick this up when I eventually get a Wii U.

Liking the sound of the impressions, definitely keeping my pre-order.

72% on Metacritic. And the only things it legitimately lacked were online matches and having bots in multi. Not the kind of stuff you would throw a launch game under the bus for, honestly.
If it had online and were 60 FPS it would be pretty much perfect.

I've watched your impressions across the time you've been here. I don't think I've ever seen things you've posted that I didn't agree with, and you've always backed up your posts. Additionally, you've always made very intelligent statements on things.

SIGH. Time to reconsider opening that Wii U.

Literally my only complaint is the melee. If they had allowed you to upgrade the stick or use different melee weapons, this game would be GOLD. However, as is, you do rely on the stick a lot and I can see that being a drag if all you do is hoard ammo.

PROTIP: DO NOT HOARD AMMO. Yes, it is scarce, but variety is the spice of life -- and you're never too far from your next dead survivor carrying a truckload of ammo. :)

derFeef

Awesome. Damn EU launch date :(

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Just want to chime in to say how salty I still am over Excite Truck reviews. It's like they didn't play the same game that I did. I don't have a WiiU, so I can't comment on ZombiU.

drspeedy

Literally my only complaint is the melee. If they had allowed you to upgrade the stick or use different melee weapons, this game would be GOLD. However, as is, you do rely on the stick a lot and I can see that being a drag if all you do is hoard ammo.

PROTIP: DO NOT HOARD AMMO. Yes, it is scarce, but variety is the spice of life -- and you're never too far from your next dead survivor carrying a truckload of ammo. :)

Now I have a question:

Is this one of those games where, by the time we unwashed masses/late adopters buy the game on Sears clearance in 6 months, there's no good tips or secrets left? A game where everyone who bought it at launch got the full experience (well, as full as possible from a launch title) while the rest just intrinsically know the "Justin Bailey" code?

Coz that seems like a game I'm not interested in.

Right there with you Dark! So loving this! Also I guess other peoples survivors that died can appear in your game? I had a zombie with a backpack on and it wasn't any of my previous survivors!

I never understood the love for Excite Truck personally. Thought it was incredibly generic racing game, it wasn't awful but it was nothing special.

For those playing it, is there any character customization involved when switching to a new survivor, or is it completely random?

Random as far as I can tell.

Edit: Can zombie survivors from ANYONE playing the game come into your world? Or, is it purely people on your friend list?

If it's the latter, EVERYONE ADD ME: VyseTheLegend.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Posted this in the review thread:

MfgfE.jpg

Think they are mad?

I never understood the love for Excite Truck personally. Thought it was incredibly generic racing game, it wasn't awful but it was nothing special.

Seriously? Excite Truck generic? Mountains would literally pop out of the earth. All the power ups were totally wild, and they got even more insane with excitebots. When you got too high up into the atmosphere your music would fade out and all you would hear was the sound of the wind. You would plummet 1000 feet from the sky without a scratch.

Also, it wasn't a racing game, it was a stunt game. Getting first alone wouldn't give you the star rating you needed to progress.

Excite Truck was the first wii game I (and my roommate) 100%ed. Absolute blast. And it felt so fast.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Seriously? Excite Truck generic? Mountains would literally pop out of the earth. All the power ups were totally wild, and they got even more insane with excitebots. When you got too high up into the atmosphere your music would fade out and all you would hear was the sound of the wind. You would plummet 1000 feet from the sky without a scratch.

Also, it wasn't a racing game, it was a stunt game. Getting first alone wouldn't give you the star rating you needed to progress.

Excite Truck was the first wii game I (and my roommate) 100%ed. Absolute blast. And it felt so fast.

And so many reviewers missed that.

boiled goose

good with gravy
The problem with excitetruck and bots was not the core gameplay but the lack of features. The multiplayer options were pathetic and an unforgivable missed opportunity.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The problem with excitetruck and bots was not the core gameplay but the lack of features. The multiplayer options were pathetic and an unforgivable missed opportunity.
Bots had more features and was not as pure as Excite Truck. As simple as it was, the first one was just perfect.

And yet I've still played Excite Truck for 30 hours. Such a fun game, where's my new Monster launch racer on this pathetic console? :(

Mael

And you know what's sad?
Shit like Perfect Dark Zero got 81% and Other M got 79%.
Basically reviewers are shit across the board.

OT : I just watched RedPandasomething on youtube and his 25min with the game looked really fun actually....
I can't wait till I get my hands on it.

Also about that only 1 melee weapon, in multiple demos they showed a pickaxe finishing zombies that's still in or nobody found that?

Bots had more features and was not as pure as Excite Truck. As simple as it was, the first one was just perfect.

Heck it even had custom soundtrack!

Mirk

I am loving this game. Although I think I am bad. Died 6 times already.

Feel free to add me and I'll be filling your game up with turned survivors :(

NNID - Mirk21

FLEABttn

Banned
That message on the floor wasn't even there this morning. One of my survivors died and I was confused when my next survivor woke to that.

Good stuff though.

Oh, and loving the game so far.

Top Bottom