• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

ozfunghi

Just got the up
grade(s) - Backpack XL, Crossbow, Scanner
. My latest surviver, while a cop in the prime of her life, seems to have the vista of a 70 year old... however, she now is my "top" survivor. Previous one was an unemployed fatso, but i think he could run longer. Already my tenth survivor, not going to be breaking any records i assume.

Once a zombie takes you down to the ground and starts atacking you, is there a way to fight them off, such as pounding the buttons, or is it game over?

I found that a zombie done that to me while my health was at half then it was game over :(.

oatmeal

Banned
Started Survivor today.

Got through the Safe House Raid.

Phewf. I was running low on everything, I forgot you had to leave the safehouse. I just sat in that little room outside of the safe house and molotov'd a few, mined one (which took half of my life) and then just wacked the last few in the face. Got close to getting attacked but a well-timed shove saved me.

Phewf.

So now I've got it fairly easy for a little bit (until Buckingham entrance...eep).

Shit's cray. I hope I can do it...I know where the 'shocks' are so I'm not going to be on edge as much.

Also, it's weird how used to the auto-scan on the gamepad I was...now I'm constantly clicking it and it only shows a blip and shit. Also the scanner doesn't tell me what items are so I have to check...

I must not have been paying attention during certain upgrades.

That reminds me, I'm early in the game and I found sound upgrades for my pistol. Do I need a workbench or something to upgrade my weapon?

Fistwell

Once a zombie takes you down to the ground and starts atacking you, is there a way to fight them off, such as pounding the buttons, or is it game over?
Early on, yes.
you'll get a re-fuel-able mulligan tool of zombie destruction later

That reminds me, I'm early in the game and I found sound upgrades for my pistol. Do I need a workbench or something to upgrade my weapon?
Yes.
there's one in the safe house

Pineconn

I found that a zombie done that to me while my health was at half then it was game over :(.

If a zombie grabs you, it's over. However, later on in the game you will be able to rectify this.

Since I started over due to the nursery glitch/bug/whatever I only lot three survivors (whereas I lost 11 or 12 on my first incomplete run) and I am now on my way to the
Tower of London
again.
So survivor #4 is already alive for over two and a half hours and has over 3500 points already (personal best, yay). And I wanna keep him alive until the end. I hope I'll make it.

I'm also totally overstocked on goods. So much ammo, health items, molotovs and flares, a new weapon I supidly overlooked before (
silenced pistol
) and so much other stuff. My blue box is already full, so I keep throwing out all the planks and flares.

If somebody sees my zombie(s), tell them I love 'em :(

oatmeal

Banned
FUUUUCK

I got lazy and got killed on my way to Buckingham. I was fighting two and didn't see the third on me. Just grabbed me and I was gone, just like that.

FUCK.

Survivor is unforgiving, have to DELETE your save and everything :(

Yikes, where was this? I missed it, too, I guess. It's not on my CCTV.

In the Buckingham Palace bunker, there's a bathroom with two toilets somewhere, one stall is open, the other one closed. In the open one is a zombie (normally dead, but it's possible that it "revives"). The silenced pistol lies in there. It's a bit hard to see (at least for me it was), scan the area with your Prepper Pad to find it more easily.

Also
check your zombie scanner while you're in there. I don't know if it's a bug or something but the first time I was in there (and the first time only) the Pad showed that a zombie was in the closed stall. I also think that something peeked over the stall wall, I'm not sure. I left the bathroom as fast as possible and never went back in there :(

FUUUUCK

I got lazy and got killed on my way to Buckingham. I was fighting two and didn't see the third on me. Just grabbed me and I was gone, just like that.

FUCK.

Survivor is unforgiving, have to DELETE your save and everything :(

Survivor mode is awesome. Tried it out a few days ago, got killed when
the safe house was overrun
I guess I can play through Survivor Mode, it just would take a few tries, I guess, and some encounters would be horribly hard, too.

I used the turret and mowed down most of the zombies and (stupidly) burned a fair chunk of ammo killing the remainder. As far as I could see, there were no more after I was done. So there is something good, at least I saved prepper. On that note, a question - can anyone explain to me a bit more about the prepper? I sort of thought he was that John guy referenced in letters but I didn't really get where he was coming from. Why was he so against the cure?

He is delusional. Psychotic even. In the letters it becomes more and more obvious that his fanatism and uncompromising worldview (and ultimately interpretation of the black prophecy) is harming others, but he is still blaming them instead of taking a look at his actions and behaviour. Sondra even tried to save their relationship up until the very outbreak, maybe even beyond.
I thought he was very well characterized, and I couldn't help but feel sorry for him.
I guess it's one of this games strenghts. It allows for a deep personal attachement to not just the few characters, but even items.

My cricket bat is called Betty. The evil Betty to be exact.

Pineconn

In the Buckingham Palace bunker, there's a bathroom with two toilets somewhere, one stall is open, the other one closed. In the open one is a zombie (normally dead, but it's possible that it "revives"). The silenced pistol lies in there. It's a bit hard to see (at least for me it was), scan the area with your Prepper Pad to find it more easily.

Also
check your zombie scanner while you're in there. I don't know if it's a bug or something but the first time I was in there (and the first time only) the Pad showed that a zombie was in the closed stall. I also think that something peeked over the stall wall, I'm not sure. I left the bathroom as fast as possible and never went back in there :(

Oh goddamn it. I remember this room but didn't find anything. This also explains why I didn't see the weapon on the safe room monitors... since I missed a CCTV in there, heh.

Thank you.

I need to work on the melee push I think.
The controls are not that responsive and there's some input lag, but I guess they made it that way.

I need to work on the melee push I think.
The controls are not that responsive and there's some input lag, but I guess they made it that way.

It's not input lag, it forces you to be ready for the attack and then the swing. I've always felt that this is how the knife should be in CoD.

Anyway, spoilerish question -
Making my way to the helicopter and I died, nowhere near where I should have got to, and then the a cutscene started with crows flying into the blades and the helicopter crashing. Does this happen everytime? Do you HAVE to die in order for that to happen?

If so, that's pretty cheap as I don't think I go and get my stuff back due to you having to drop down from the attic to the door. I don't know if there is a way back.

NFreak

Well I just finished the part where you had to
"save" the person from the church.
Man that was fucking tense. I died in the room right before with a survivor at 7000 points too.... :(

But man, it was awesome.

Anyway, spoilerish question -
Making my way to the helicopter and I died, nowhere near where I should have got to, and then the a cutscene started with crows flying into the blades and the helicopter crashing. Does this happen everytime? Do you HAVE to die in order for that to happen?

It always happens, doesn't matter if you die or not.

That reminds me: how far into the game am I when I reach
the nursery
? Anyone knows?
Just wanna know if I still have some areas left to scout and clean out.

NeoRausch

Heads up to german-gaf:

dunno if mentioned here before but the screenposting thing for miiverse is now working.
dunno what was going on behind the scenes. guess some USK shit...was dumb anyway because we could look at screengrabs of other players anyway.

Dartastic

I don't know why I'm not playing this yet. I wanted to play this more than anything else on the Wii U, yet I've barely touched it. I'd rather play other stuff. I don't know why. I think maybe I'm scared? D:

Heads up to german-gaf:

dunno if mentioned here before but the screenposting thing for miiverse is now working.
dunno what was going on behind the scenes. guess some USK shit...was dumb anyway because we could look at screengrabs of other players anyway.

Exactly. Wanted to post this since yesterday actually. Good stuff happens to those who wait.
Now our version finally is equal to everyone else's <3

Britprog

I'm loving ZombiU, the atmosphere and GamePad features really create a great gaming experience. Damn those reviews I almost didn't buy this game!!

Although one thing which is driving me nuts is the controls whilst scanning. I am old school and play with inverted Y axis, now Zombi U has this feature for the main mode, BUT NOT while scanning.

I know they did this cause it mirrors the gyro controls, but I hate the gyro controls and never use them.

PATCH this UBI please.

Fusebox

Banned
I'm loving ZombiU, the atmosphere and GamePad features really create a great gaming experience. Damn those reviews I almost didn't buy this game!!

Although one thing which is driving me nuts is the controls whilst scanning. I am old school and play with inverted Y axis, now Zombi U has this feature for the main mode, BUT NOT while scanning.

I know they did this cause it mirrors the gyro controls, but I hate the gyro controls and never use them.

PATCH this UBI please.

I play inverted too and this is insanely fucking annoying.

Crom

Quick and dirty tips for newbies:

- Always clear rooms of corpses. Always. Go up to a corpse and swing your bat to decapitate. Corpses have a random animation variable and are strategically placed to screw over less cautious players.
- When you can, bat, don't shoot. Save ammunition for when you actually need it, and try not to waste it on lone stragglers that can easily have their brains batted.
- No matter the enemy, bat swings faster than their recovery period. It might seem like you swing slow, but if you can keep hitting infected there's no way they can attack back. Missing is what will screw you.
- Don't waste ammo on armoured infected unless it's a rifle or high powered weapon. Those will knock the helmet off with one shot, leaving one more to clean the head. Pistol takes too many rounds just to knock a helmet off. Even so, same rules apply: if you can bat instead, bat away.
- Infected take time to open doors. I found boarding up doors relatively useless. An easier tactic when pursued by a group is to keep a molotov/grenade/mine on hand, rush through a door, close it, and wait. If you have a mine, lay it in front of the door and back away. Grenade/molotov, wait until they burst open the door and throw it directly at the group. The bottleneck should destroy them all.
- Crossbow is easily one of the most effective weapons in the game if you use it intelligently, as bolts can be recovered. As soon as you spot an infected, if you're safe, scope up and aim for the head. One shot to the head will kill most, and you can recover the bolt from their corpse. Essentially gives you an unlimited super weapon. Don't waste rounds on armoured infected.
- For the love of all unholy do not swing your bat at explosive infected.
- Pistol is very effective at headshots, usually taking ~2 headshots to kill an average infected. For this reason it's a good weapon to upgrade first, especially if you tend to die. Skills are survivor specific, but weapon upgrades are universal. And since every survivor spawns with a pistol...
- Scanning a room the moment you enter is an excellent way to locate all corpses on the ground, and thus identify potential infected. Corpses yet to animate will not be pinged by your radar.

Good tips.

In addition this next tip saved my ass plenty of times.

-If you miss your swing and the zombie is closing in on you immediately hit the shove button. You can shove the zombie away before it attacks you even if you miss. You don't have time to swing again but you have time to shove.

Crom

Ah ok then, that makes sense. Lucky I asked otherwise I would have been so confused as to what I'm doing wrong...

I've progressed a bit since then and I'm now finding codes on paintings, after following white markings on the ground. I assume I can't do anything with these yet either? It's a bit of a tease leading you on if you can't solve the puzzle until later D:

Yeah those door codes screwed me up to. The symbols look like numbers and I figured out the section you are referring to also. I burned so much time with those door codes. An upgrade takes care of them later.

Effect

Weapon upgrades being universal is something I've been wondering about. Haven't played much in recent days. I can only image how much harder the game would be if that wasn't the case. It's one thing to lose the weapon but to lose it and have to refind new upgrades would be to much.

Ridley327

You know what? I'm going to be an outlier and proclaim that the dreaded
arena
bit was actually pretty fucking fun.

On one hand, it does seem at odds with a lot of what you've been doing at that point. The game's emphasis on carefully measured survival for something that's a bit more out of Left 4 Dead; outright assault becomes the only method of survival. But it's made even more brutal due to the sheer numbers of the riot gear zombies, who aren't so much bullet sponges as they are bulletproof. Throw in the dreaded hazmat zombies and you have a recipe for disaster.

And then, you start noticing the layout. You see the propane tanks that are spaced far apart for you to try and lure zombies by them to take them all out once, giving you a valuable bullet conservation tactic for the first part. You notice that whenever hazmat zombies spawn, they're always by other zombies, making them your best weapon. The generous amount of handgun ammo given out once the initial area is complete, the carefully placed flares and mines, the fact that the arena is designed to hinder zombies from following too close behind you, all leading up to the final "surprise" that is overwhelmingly in your favor. If King Boris wanted you to die, he sure did a piss-poor job of it.

So yeah, that's my two cents.

^lol that makes too much sense so thats why they didn't do that. but your right, smh nintendo and ubisoft

well i am sorta pissed haha
that hallway and 2nd floor of death is over, i lose 4 survivors , 2 due to getting hugged by the riot swat guy, 1 due to my gamepad disconnecting randomly and one when i just ran to try to "Speed run" lol. back to the safehouse and going to brick lane.

I assume the doctor will turn into a zombie when i get back to him or he will unleash all the locked zombies, i am ready B^)

oatmeal

Banned
You know what? I'm going to be an outlier and proclaim that the dreaded
arena
bit was actually pretty fucking fun.

On one hand, it does seem at odds with a lot of what you've been doing at that point. The game's emphasis on carefully measured survival for something that's a bit more out of Left 4 Dead; outright assault becomes the only method of survival. But it's made even more brutal due to the sheer numbers of the riot gear zombies, who aren't so much bullet sponges as they are bulletproof. Throw in the dreaded hazmat zombies and you have a recipe for disaster.

And then, you start noticing the layout. You see the propane tanks that are spaced far apart for you to try and lure zombies by them to take them all out once, giving you a valuable bullet conservation tactic for the first part. You notice that whenever hazmat zombies spawn, they're always by other zombies, making them your best weapon. The generous amount of handgun ammo given out once the initial area is complete, the carefully placed flares and mines, the fact that the arena is designed to hinder zombies from following too close behind you, all leading up to the final "surprise" that is overwhelmingly in your favor. If King Boris wanted you to die, he sure did a piss-poor job of it.

So yeah, that's my two cents.

Agree 100%. I thought it was really well designed for what it was.

It totally reminded me of the first Chronicles of Riddick game where you're forced to fight to the death.

HylianTom

Banned
An odd question:
I've gotten about two-thirds through the game in normal mode, but for my next character I want to play through in survivor mode. Would I be missing-out on anything by skipping the normal mode?

Ridley327

Agree 100%. I thought it was really well designed for what it was.

It totally reminded me of the first Chronicles of Riddick game where you're forced to fight to the death.

Oh wow, I didn't even make that connection; that's a pretty damn good frame of reference.

I had to laugh at when you're making your way back to the safe house after that bit,
they toss a red zombie at you, but you're sure to have that crazy assault rifle they hand you, so it goes down in one squeeze. I found that to be deeply rewarding.

oatmeal

Banned
An odd question:
I've gotten about two-thirds through the game in normal mode, but for my next character I want to play through in survivor mode. Would I be missing-out on anything by skipping the normal mode?

I don't think so.

Seems like it's the same (admittedly, i only made it to Buckingham).

VICI0US

Awwh man, so apparently
flaming red zombies
can 1 hit kill you? Who knew.

I was chasing down a couple crossbow bolts that showed up on my CCTV when I came across one, whiffed my crossbow headshot.. and thus ended my first survival run

at least I made the top 10 survival leaderboard for the day, KEENMACHlNE at 12820ish

Well, here I go again.

oatmeal

Banned
Awwh man, so apparently
flaming red zombies

I was chasing down a couple crossbow bolts that showed up on my CCTV when I came across one, whiffed my crossbow headshot.. and thus ended my first survival run

at least I made the top 10 survival leaderboard for the day, KEENMACHlNE at 12820ish

Well, here I go again.

They can?

I've never been touched by one...wasn't ever sure what the flames meant.

Crom

Awwh man, so apparently
flaming red zombies

Well, here I go again.

I don't think so but they deal out a lot of damage. I got hit by one with a full health bar and it took something like 3/4ths of my life away.

Ridley327

They can?

I've never been touched by one...wasn't ever sure what the flames meant.

They're basically super zombies; faster, deals out more damage, harder to kill if you aren't going for headshots, that kind of thing. They're pretty rare, and they tend to show up in the more closed-off portions of the game, particularly when you're trying to go for the John Dee letters. The good news is that when you kill them, they almost always drop a weapon upgrade, which makes them quite valuable to seek out.

They can also show up as another player's zombie if they had a high enough survivor score when they died.

Karish

So, those Zombies that blow up on impact. WTF? SO cheap...

How do I get around that? Lost two survivors to them so far...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, those Zombies that blow up on impact. WTF? SO cheap...

How do I get around that? Lost two survivors to them so far...

Headshots will kill them without exploding. One body shot should set them off. Do not hit them with your bat. But you can use your bat/weapon to nudge them if they get too close.

If you have no ammo, best go hunting for some.

majik13

Yikes, where was this? I missed it, too, I guess. It's not on my CCTV.

yeah just lost pretty much all my weapons, this pistol was the best, couldn't remember where I found it. Not sure how to find it again.

Its stupid that you cant unequip your first default pistol though, so you have to carry both.

oatmeal

Banned
They're basically super zombies; faster, deals out more damage, harder to kill if you aren't going for headshots, that kind of thing. They're pretty rare, and they tend to show up in the more closed-off portions of the game, particularly when you're trying to go for the John Dee letters. The good news is that when you kill them, they almost always drop a weapon upgrade, which makes them quite valuable to seek out.

They can also show up as another player's zombie if they had a high enough survivor score when they died.

Dang. I never knew that. I knew something was up, just not the specifics.

I scan every zombie so they're marked and so I know if they're carrying anything.

Karish

Headshots will kill them without exploding. One body shot should set them off. Do not hit them with your bat. But you can use your bat/weapon to nudge them if they get too close.

If you have no ammo, best go hunting for some.

In a game like this, it's very annoying that I had to learn these things post-facto

The Boat

I finally got to a point when I was forced to use the pistol and rifle, so when I heard the level up sound I got startled because it was such a tense moment and I never heard it before.
yeah just lost pretty much all my weapons, this pistol was the best, couldn't remember where I found it. Not sure how to find it again.

Its stupid that you cant unequip your first default pistol though, so you have to carry both.

What? I'm pretty sure you can, you just can't have it equipped when you want to put it in the backpack. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

Top Bottom