• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

Moobabe

This is, maybe, the best place to ask since Wii U doesn't (seem) to have a Vita like group thread.

Considering picking one up today - I got some money on a gift card and quite fancy grabbing one before Zelda comes out.

What are the 'must' haves in your guys' opinions?

This is, maybe, the best place to ask since Wii U doesn't (seem) to have a Vita like group thread.

Considering picking one up today - I got some money on a gift card and quite fancy grabbing one before Zelda comes out.

What are the 'must' haves in your guys' opinions?

Zombi U
Pikmin 3
New Super Mario Bros U
The Wondeful 101

Such variety - honestly all are fantastic games.

So I was in the nursery at the part where you get ambushed by a hoard of zombies(after I got the medicine) and my character died. When I finally made it back to that spot, I had to grab the discarded medicine, and the Prepper told me to grab a B.O.B. because it would be a shame to waste the supplies. I've looked all over the room and I don't see anything that looks like a backpack. Should I go deeper into the nursery to search for it? Is it in a really obvious place?

I'm so friggin sad/mad

First time playing the game, never died yet, and I get to the part where
I have to go to the tower of London, and this girl starts sniping for me and tells me to make a run for it, so like an idiot, I listen to her.
I start running through the water, and lo and behold, there's 8 thousand zombies converging around me and
the asshole girl isn't killing any of them.

Luckily, I was able to go back there, flare into molotov a whole group, then kill my survivor and get my stuff back. I really wanted to get through the game with one guy though...

Is there any bonus/benefit to getting through the game with 1 survivor?

Rnr1224

really tempted to get this game for $20 on amazon. ive really been getting more into survival horror with my recent introduction into Dead Space (havent got to 3 yet and i hear thats a good thing). would $20 be worth it? or should i wait for a better deal?

NYCrooner

Finally got around to playing this game last weekend and holy shit! How is this game not a bigger deal? It's got a pretty dedicated cult following but commercially this should have been a bigger game. Maybe it's the platform it's on. This is easily one of the scariest games I've ever played and I do not scare easy. It's not a perfect game (visuals suck) but with some tweaking, I hope UBI revisits the franchise.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Finally got around to playing this game last weekend and holy shit! How is this game not a bigger deal? It's got a pretty dedicated cult following but commercially this should have been a bigger game. Maybe it's the platform it's on. This is easily one of the scariest games I've ever played and I do not scare easy. It's not a perfect game (visuals suck) but with some tweaking, I hope UBI revisits the franchise.

1. "ZombiU" sounds like a generic shovelware game. The joke that it's a remake of "Zombi" is too obscure.

2. General lack of Wii U awareness and hype at launch, little effective advertisement for any games.

3. The game is a true sleeper classic, but its rushed / rebooted dev cycle and low budget keep it from displaying some sizzle to hook the masses at first sight.

It really is a great game and will last due to being so replayable. There was also great potential in its multiplayer mode, which could have been great online with groups of 4 survivors vs one zombie master.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Bumping this up assuming a few people have bought it recently.

What's going on ya'll?

Well, since there's been a ton of discussion of this game in the other threads (And somebody else necro-bumped!) I'll leave this here.

This game is so amazing. Graphics, gameplay, tension, atmosphere, it has it all in spades. This is the kind of game I want to (And have!) bought for other people because I want them to experience it.

For a dude who loves horror, zombies, and all that good shit this game is just absolutely beautiful. I've owned a Wii U for about 8 months now, and I feel a complete ass for just now picking it up.

Fucking hell this game is hard!!!

Did the first mission where zombies storm your safehouse, I think I died 10 times lol. Once you get into a death spiral it's real hard to get out.

Did the first mission where zombies storm your safehouse, I think I died 10 times lol. Once you get into a death spiral it's real hard to get out.

Only tip I can give once you advance further in, just be alert to sounds, don't be too stingy with using your guns.

Horseticuffs

Only tip I can give once you advance further in, just be alert to sounds, don't be too stingy with using your guns.

This is one of the best games I've ever played but, yeah, that's because it's terrifyingly difficult.

As far as sounds, 95% of the time I listen to podcasts while I play because generally I couldn't care less about game music. This game the audio is SO important that I don't listen to anything. I keep the room quiet as a tomb and keep my ears peeled, so to speak.

Tak3n

Banned
Picked it up for £8 on eshop after finishing and selling the retail version...missed the game loads....

My only regret is Ubisoft refusing to do a sequel

Horseticuffs

Picked it up for £8 on eshop after finishing and selling the retail version...missed the game loads....

My only regret is Ubisoft refusing to do a sequel
This is one of the greatest tragedies in gaming history, in my opinion. It's not even like it's a historic franchise that's fallen on hard times like Mega Man or something. You know EVENTUALLY you'll get a new Mega Man.

Zombi U was a brilliant, beautiful failure that flopped so hard there was an audible slapping noise and we will literally never see a sequel.

That's just awful :(

This is one of the greatest tragedies in gaming history, in my opinion. It's not even like it's a historic franchise that's fallen on hard times like Mega Man or something. You know EVENTUALLY you'll get a new Mega Man.

Zombi U was a brilliant, beautiful failure that flopped so hard there was an audible slapping noise and we will literally never see a sequel.

That's just awful :(

Hopefully the frequent sales on the eshop will give it a chance.

Fully deserving of a sequel, would be awesome to have it set in another European city.

Loved how they portrayed London, proper attention to detail.

Tak3n

Banned
Hopefully the frequent sales on the eshop will give it a chance.

Fully deserving of a sequel, would be awesome to have it set in another European city.

Loved how they portrayed London, proper attention to detail.

Ubisoft have said there is no chance of a sequel, according to them it did not even come close to breaking even..

so even if they see a big sale spike in Europe due to the price, they still wont

Had £9 left on my account, was about to bite on Super Mario World, but changed my mind when I read up a little on ZombiU. £8 for a retail game, even though it's a launch title, is much better than nearly £6 on a SNES game (even though it's the greatest 2D platformer ever made). Plus I've already got 3 Mario games. This will be a welcome change. Can't wait for it download so I can give it a spin; seems to be a cult game in the making.

Ubisoft have said there is no chance of a sequel, according to them it did not even come close to breaking even..

so even if they see a big sale spike in Europe due to the price, they still wont
Other than changing the name why couldn't they make a sequel multiplatform? The main reason it didn't sell well was because it was exclusive to a system that has not sold well, not to mention the average WiiU consumer may not be a consumer of violent scary games.

I agree it would lose some of its charm missing a gamepad for inventory/scanner etc, but I don't think it'd be insurmountable.

Horseticuffs

Other than changing the name why couldn't they make a sequel multiplatform? The main reason it didn't sell well was because it was exclusive to a system that has not sold well, not to mention the average WiiU consumer may not be a consumer of violent scary games.

I agree it would lose some of its charm missing a gamepad for inventory/scanner etc, but I don't think it'd be insurmountable.
I agree. I loved what the gamepad brought to the table but it was a very tiny part of the game's magic.

I'd buy whatever platform a sequel came out on.

But surely if it sells enough now it would break even?

Not to suggest it will but there's a possibility. A very slim one.

Vagabundo

Bought this for a tenner. Steal!!

Died in the first minute. lol. Fuck, this game doesn't pull it's punches.

Now I'm scared shitless of zombies and avoid them like the plague. I was genuinely reluctant to leave the safe house.

Just to say, you can die at any minute irrespective of the fact you think you have enough health to survive. Zombies can lunge then eat your face so always be careful.

Is the MP any good with a controller? Just tried it with my son and the nunchuk aiming and controls were atrocious, but I don't think I ever played a single shooter on Wii.

But it seemed like it could be fun. Is it any better with a Wii U Pro pad? Does anyone know for sure if the Wii classic controller plugged into a Wiimote would work? Would save me $40. I saw some Google results that said yes, some said no.

Is the MP any good with a controller? Just tried it with my son and the nunchuk aiming and controls were atrocious, but I don't think I ever played a single shooter on Wii.

But it seemed like it could be fun. Is it any better with a Wii U Pro pad? Does anyone know for sure if the Wii classic controller plugged into a Wiimote would work? Would save me $40. I saw some Google results that said yes, some said no.

I can test that out for you. Didn't know you could use wiimote and nunchuk.

I heard it's great on the Control Pad Pro or whatever the Wii U 360 looking one is called.

Effect

I've always felt that was on Ubisoft. Not just for how ZombiU sold and their lack of promotion of it when it was a unique launch title. In spite of that it was still the best selling 3d party title I believe. The game went through at least two restarts during development. It was initially a PS3/360 game. Then the Wii U game Killer Rabbids. Then finally ZombiU. There is no telling how much money was spent originally on the first two incarnations. Knowing Ubisoft they originally could have been building a game that needed to sell several million to break free. That's what things looked like at the time. Then salvaging it could have resulted in ZombiU in the end.

ZombiU isn't that big of a game when you really look at. There isn't a lot going on either. So I find it hard to imagine its budget, for the ZombiU game itself, could have been so large to the point it didn't even come close to making back it's investment over time. It's not like there was a massive marketing or a marketing budget of any kind as well for it. You can fault the Wii U and it's customer based at times but I don't think it's totally fair to blame them on this one and why its think they should take a chance on a Zombiu 2. I'd like Nintendo to at least fund a sequel if the numbers it did sell were at least okay for how much money was spend on the actual ZombiU development (not counting what came before it).

The WiiU Pro controller works great in MP. It's as responsive as using the gamepad in SP.

FryHole

So I got this for Christmas, really enjoying it but just had a prime jank experience. Nearly finished a mission, on the way back to the safe house, get jumped by a bunch of buggers. Minor panic but I throw a Molotov cocktail and peg it - and get slaughtered as the game takes its sweet time loading the manhole room when I try to open the door, allowing the zombies to catch up and murder me literally inches from the manhole.

Best bit is the game still takes it as a completed mission and starts the next one with a new survivor, locked in the safe house for a defence mission and missing most of my supplies. FFS.

DukeBobby

Finished this for the first time a few days ago. Loved it, although the last 1/4 of the game was significantly weaker than the rest.

I only died once, and that was due to a momentary lapse of judgement near the beginning of the game. I'll probably attempt a survival mode playthrough soon.

Sir Pant

I just beat this (finally) despite purchasing it as a launch title, playing it for about a half hour, then getting frustrated with it.

After picking it up again a few days ago, I quickly embraced the nature of the game and enjoyed it. Completely different kind of zombie game than is out there normally, more akin to Resident Evil with ammo conservation and Amenesia: The Dark Descent based on fear and having to actually run sometimes.

Only problem really was that it had a janky engine sometimes, where the zombies were basically standing on air after being pushed off a platform, and didn't just fall into the water below. Also, on one of the last missions, none of the textures loaded and I couldn't navigate past a certain door...it was just a navy blue world of nothing. I just circumnavigated the problem and ran to the mission point via a different route, which took longer but worked.

Also, I'm bummed that I got the
"Very Bad" ending. If I knew that I died and wouldn't get a second chance at it, I would have tried much harder instead of trying to make a mad dash to the helicopter

Also, I died so many times. Ridiculous.

Horseticuffs

I just beat this (finally) despite purchasing it as a launch title, playing it for about a half hour, then getting frustrated with it.

After picking it up again a few days ago, I quickly embraced the nature of the game and enjoyed it. Completely different kind of zombie game than is out there normally, more akin to Resident Evil with ammo conservation and Amenesia: The Dark Descent based on fear and having to actually run sometimes.

Only problem really was that it had a janky engine sometimes, where the zombies were basically standing on air after being pushed off a platform, and didn't just fall into the water below. Also, on one of the last missions, none of the textures loaded and I couldn't navigate past a certain door...it was just a navy blue world of nothing. I just circumnavigated the problem and ran to the mission point via a different route, which took longer but worked.

Also, I'm bummed that I got the
"Very Bad" ending. If I knew that I died and wouldn't get a second chance at it, I would have tried much harder instead of trying to make a mad dash to the helicopter

Also, I died so many times. Ridiculous.
It was the best game I played last year. I loved it so much, but the ending was janky as shit.
I had the vaccine and survived. Got to the tower, heard helicopters, the game skipped and I got the shit ending? I was never quite sure what the fuck happened but I enjoyed the game so much and was fuckin' done at that point so I rolled with it.

Nilaul

I'm so friggin sad/mad

First time playing the game, never died yet, and I get to the part where
I have to go to the tower of London, and this girl starts sniping for me and tells me to make a run for it, so like an idiot, I listen to her.
I start running through the water, and lo and behold, there's 8 thousand zombies converging around me and
the asshole girl isn't killing any of them.

Luckily, I was able to go back there, flare into molotov a whole group, then kill my survivor and get my stuff back. I really wanted to get through the game with one guy though...

Is there any bonus/benefit to getting through the game with 1 survivor?

It means you can beat the game on hard mode.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I know I'm late to the party but I just got the game today. I've played for around an hour and died about 6 times, it's safe to say I'd be fucked if this were real life.

First impressions are good, but I can see it becoming extremely frustrating if you die miles away from the objective. I'm currently out of ammo and only have a cricket bat to protect myself with, so death is probably on the cards again soon. Overall £5 well spent.

Horseticuffs

I know I'm late to the party but I just got the game today. I've played for around an hour and died about 6 times, it's safe to say I'd be fucked if this were real life.

First impressions are good, but I can see it becoming extremely frustrating if you die miles away from the objective. I'm currently out of ammo and only have a cricket bat to protect myself with, so death is probably on the cards again soon. Overall £5 well spent.

It really is a remarkable experience. It was always so tense but I never really got too frustrated at what I considered unreasonable expectations. Even when you die it isn't too inconvenient. The Cricket bat is the stuff of champions!

Top Bottom