• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZOTAC announce their first Steam Machine (Intel Skylake CPU, GTX 970m)

Exactly what I expected, and what I feel is the opposite direction of what Steam machines were supposed to be about.

Show me the models that are supposed to compete on pricing with consoles, because I thought that was the whole idea? To be an inexpensive living room box, that's easy to use, and has more power than a console. $1k is ridiculous.

Models that compete on console pricing are far less powerful. Alienware Alpha is closer to the price expected of a Steam Machine which has Core i3, 4GB Ram and Nvidia 860M GPU.

970M destroys the PS4 GPU and is twice as fast on paper as the 860M in the Alienware.

Models that compete on console pricing are far less powerful. Alienware Alpha is closer to the price expected of a Steam Machine.

970M destroys the PS4 GPU.

Yea but the basis of the arguement here is this:

If I was to buy a Steam Machine I would expect it to offer similar performance to a PS4 at a similar price point.

Since the consoles typically get better performance out of equivalent PC hardware a PC would naturally need to have better specs to be equal on the performance front.

I dont think people have confidence in that a $4-500 Steam Machine will have the same game performance as a ps4

aw man, that slick white box.
cGDV1.gif

it's 2.3 tflops if i remenber well.

On paper it's good for 1080p with >ps4 settings(except maybe texture in some cases) in most if not all multiplats games (and probably more fps with most cpu)
Yea but for its price you could buy a PS4, XB1, and 4 games. For a sitting at your TV experience I think that would be a much better deal.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Models that compete on console pricing are far less powerful. Alienware Alpha is closer to the price expected of a Steam Machine which has Core i3, 4GB Ram and Nvidia 860M GPU.

I like the base Alpha model's price point, but that i3 model with 500GB of Ram is the 2014 model. Do we know what the 2015 models are packing yet, or is it too early?

Yea but the basis of the arguement here is this:

If I was to buy a Steam Machine I would expect it to offer similar performance to a PS4 at a similar price point.

Since the consoles typically get better performance out of equivalent PC hardware a PC would naturally need to have better specs to be equal on the performance front.

I dont think people have confidence in that a $4-500 Steam Machine will have the same game performance as a ps4

How is that Zotacs fault, they are using high end parts hence the high end price.

They really should make these things a good bit bigger to fit regular desktop parts in there.

970 sounds nice and all, but it's a 970M, which makes it about as powerful as the desktop 960 lol.

Edit: Wait, they are marketing this as being capable for 4k and Ultra settings... LOL.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
OK that looks very interesting.

Don't think they announced a price though, did they ?

They really should make these things a good bit bigger to fit regular desktop parts in there.

970 sounds nice and all, but it's a 970M, which makes it about as powerful as the desktop 960 lol.

If you want regular desktop parts then build a desktop.

The point of Steam machine is having a compact, low power consumption PC that can fit into an entertainment centre.

970M is a fair bit faster than 960 actually.

The point of Steam machine is having a compact, low power consumption PC that can fit into an entertainment centre.

If you want that then get a Steam Link for $49, and stream from your computer.

Bastardo

One place where all the steam machines could score big against current consoles:

DisplayPort AdaptiveSync.

The many HDMI ports are a missed opportunity here on this Steambox, imho.

LilJoka

For some sort of comparison in terms of value

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220 V3 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.95 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($64.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($218.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone RVZ01B Mini ITX Desktop Case ($79.99 @ Directron)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($89.18 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.75 @ OutletPC)
Total: $979.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-04 07:37 EST-0500

martino

and the extra 1go dedicated ram is highly apreciated.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Zotac also mentioned that Valve "wanted" the new round of Steam Machines to all have HDMI input, because Steam Machine will offer the ability to control and manage your television feed as well as offer the ability to record shows.

That's interesting, I don't remember this feature of SteamOS being mentioned before.

I can understand the $999 price, but to be successful I think it need to be a little bit cheaper than that. For $999 you can build yourself a nice config, including a small form case. But I guess Skylake is partially to blame for this price.

If you want that then get a Steam Link for $49, and stream from your computer.

If you already have a computer yes.

I'd rather have a self contained system that runs Windows rather than a thin client.

I'm done with massive ATX cases full of power hungry, hot, noisy components with a small monitor on a computer desk cluttering the place up.

Seanspeed

Banned
And do what with it? Are you going to try to play online games with a controller against people using a keyboard and mouse?
And do what with them? You do realize PC's are incredibly versatile machines, right?

As far as competitive FPS's go, one - not everybody likes to play them. Two, you can still use a mouse/keyboard if you really wanted. Three - yes, you can actually play online games with a controller. Its not always the end of the world.

But sure, its not the best solution ever as far as comfy couch online competitive FPS's go. So obviously the whole idea is a bust.

Ah right, about that Steam Link.
Is it only wifi capable? Can we use LAN cable to connect it from PC?
The idea sounds nice but I'm not too confident with my internet speed here.

It has nothing to do it with internet. Steam In-Home Streaming is dependant on your LAN. Cable and/or wireless.

"We are honored to be working closely with Valve to bring gamers a system that will redefine PC gaming. The ZOTAC Steam Machine delivers a fully optimized gaming platform with full emphasis on graphics. We have employed the latest Intel CPU and NVIDIA GPU technology so gamers can keep the graphics sliders on ultra, and enjoy smooth, 4k gaming,"

That really should be "OR enjoy smooth, 4k gaming"

It has nothing to do it with internet. Steam In-Home Streaming is dependant on your LAN. Cable and/or wireless.

Judging by this picture it has wired network access. Btw, its not meant to be used over then internet. It's meant to stream content from one room in your house to another.

That's perfect! When can I pre order it? :D
I always wanted to move my PC from my room to the living room, but my living room's layout won't allow it. It's just perfect!

I guess I'll have to check the actual thread. Thanks guys.

They can still be compact, just not THAT small. Mini-ITX or sth. like that is pretty small and can fit into an entertainment centre.

Do you have any benchmarks? All the stuff I found points to it actually being slightly slower than the 960.

LilJoka

That's what I was thinking too. Does Zotac think PC gamers are dumb?

My only answer is that look at the audience they seem to be catering for. And imo the audience doesnt really exist. So yes is the answer to your question.

That's perfect! When can I pre order it? :D
I always wanted to move my PC from my room to the living room, but my living room's layout won't allow it. It's just perfect!

I guess I'll have to check the actual thread. Thanks guys.

You can already do this with raspberry pi and limelight pi.

And do what with them? You do realize PC's are incredibly versatile machines, right?

As far as competitive FPS's go, one - not everybody likes to play them. Two, you can still use a mouse/keyboard if you really wanted. Three - yes, you can actually play online games with a controller. Its not always the end of the world.

But sure, its not the best solution ever as far as comfy couch online competitive FPS's go. So obviously the whole idea is a bust.

Umm... if you are going to play online with a controller, wouldn't you rather play against others who are using a controller. After all isn't the whole reason for paying a premium for a PC is to get that 60 FPS so you get that smooth control. Then you turn right and give yourself a handicap by using a controller against people with keyboards and mice.

I'm not saying its not doable. I'm saying that it isn't the best option for the money you'd be paying (for most people).

LilJoka

Umm... if you are going to play online with a controller, wouldn't you rather play against others who are using a controller. After all isn't the whole reason for paying a premium for a PC is to get that 60 FPS so you get that smooth control. Then you turn right and give yourself a handicap by using a controller against people with keyboards and mice.

I'm not saying its not doable. I'm saying that it isn't the best option for the money you'd be paying (for most people).

I play with my 360 pad from the sofa on my PC connected to the TV, its not a big of a deal as you are making it out.
For some games i whip out the wireless keyboard and mouse, for example BF3, but again i rarely play competitively, so i have no issue playing with 360 pad in such games.

I never bought PC for M&KB.

I bought it because i felt for me it was cheaper in the long run, quieter, can use it to play music from any service, has got a proper web browser, fast UI and all the other random miscellaneous features that are all free. Plus it serves as my NGC/Wii/PS1/PS2/GBA emulator box.

They can still be compact, just not THAT small. Mini-ITX or sth. like that is pretty small and can fit into an entertainment centre.

Do you have any benchmarks? All the stuff I found points to it actually being slightly slower than the 960.

When you go that small you start to pay the same price premium you are for the Zotac box and most boxes ITX boxes that can take full size 970/980 are twice if not three times bigger than the Zotac box.

You can't really compare 970m and 960 benchmarks wise because you are comparing notebook to desktop CPUs as well which is why I said on paper the 970M is a fair bit faster.

970M vs 960
1280 vs 1024 Cores
80 vs 64 TMUs
48 vs 32 ROPS
3096 vs 2048MB VRAM

Top Bottom