• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZOTAC announce their first Steam Machine (Intel Skylake CPU, GTX 970m)

ekim

Same concept?
Are they powerful enough for high-end gaming?

You don't need that much power. The Rasperry Pi just forwards the Controller Inputs to the PC and from the PC it receives the rendered picture and outputs it on your TV. The processing of the game still takes place on your PC.

LilJoka

Same concept?
Are they powerful enough for high-end gaming?

Its just a video decoder, the host PC does the rendering, so very little horsepower is needed at all.

Limelight Pi uses nVidia technology which is used to do the streaming to the SHIELD. It requires a GTX 7 series or above GPU in the host.

wildfire

Banned
They really should make these things a good bit bigger to fit regular desktop parts in there.

970 sounds nice and all, but it's a 970M, which makes it about as powerful as the desktop 960 lol.

Edit: Wait, they are marketing this as being capable for 4k and Ultra settings... LOL.

Actually the 970m is just 5-10% shy of the 970 in performance. It's a downclocked 970, not a 960 rebranded and installed in BGA packaging.

That's why a lot of people were excited about the upcoming 900 series coming to Steam Machines. You were getting essentially desktop parts of the same class instead of something far weaker as previously seen with mobile part versions.

Maxwell architecture is a very big deal in terms of performance per watt.

You don't need that much power. The Rasperry Pi just forwards the Controller Inputs to the PC and from the PC it receives the rendered picture and outputs it on your TV. The processing of the game still takes place on your PC.

He's talking about Steam Link and in-home streaming, not Steam Box.

Its just a video decoder, the host PC does the rendering, so very little horsepower is needed at all.

Limelight Pi uses nVidia technology which is used to do the streaming to the SHIELD. It requires a GTX 7 series or above GPU in the host.

Yes, I'm quite aware of that.
It's just that those streaming devices have different specs, what are those specs for?
I've checked the Comfy PC gaming thread, and it seems that there are some good and not too god streaming devices.

When you go that small you start to pay the same price premium you are for the Zotac box and most boxes ITX boxes that can take full size 970/980 are twice if not three times bigger than the Zotac box.

You can't really compare 970m and 960 benchmarks wise because you are comparing notebook to desktop CPUs as well which is why I said on paper the 970M is a fair bit faster.

970M vs 960
1280 vs 1024 Cores
80 vs 64 TMUs
48 vs 32 ROPS
3096 vs 2048MB VRAM

Errr, you are totally ignoring different clock speeds there.

LilJoka

Yes, I'm quite aware of that.
It's just that those streaming devices have different specs, what are those specs for?
I've checked the Comfy PC gaming thread, and it seems that there are some good and not too god streaming devices.

Just clarify what devices you are referring to here?

Actually the 970m is just 5-10% shy of the 970 in performance. It's a downclocked 970, not a 960 rebranded and installed in BGA packaging.

That's why a lot of people were excited about the upcoming 900 series coming to Steam Machines. You were getting essentially desktop parts of the same class instead of something far weaker as previously seen with mobile part versions.

Maxwell architecture is a very big deal in terms of performance per watt.

It really isn't. Where do you have that information from? It has less TMUs, less memory, a smaller memory interface, lower clock speeds across the board. The 970 has almost 50% higher processing power than the 970M and 60%+ more memory bandwith (~80% if you count the 0.5GB thing).

When you go that small you start to pay the same price premium you are for the Zotac box and most boxes ITX boxes that can take full size 970/980 are twice if not three times bigger than the Zotac box.

You can't really compare 970m and 960 benchmarks wise because you are comparing notebook to desktop CPUs as well which is why I said on paper the 970M is a fair bit faster.

970M vs 960
1280 vs 1024 Cores
80 vs 64 TMUs
48 vs 32 ROPS
3096 vs 2048MB VRAM

Damn, the 970m is really powerful.

wildfire

Banned
It really isn't. Where do you have that information from? It has less TMUs, less memory, a smaller memory interface, lower clock speeds across the board. The 970 has almost 50% higher processing power than the 970M and 60%+ more memory bandwith (~80% if you count the 0.5GB thing).

I'm misremembering it. I only read the review about how the performance gap closed significantly on Anandtech.

It's actually with 20-25% below the 970.

It's still a big deal since mobile versions would be 50-60% behind the desktop version in the past.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8585/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980m-970m-mobile-maxwell-gm204/2

Seanspeed

Banned
Umm... if you are going to play online with a controller, wouldn't you rather play against others who are using a controller. After all isn't the whole reason for paying a premium for a PC is to get that 60 FPS so you get that smooth control. Then you turn right and give yourself a handicap by using a controller against people with keyboards and mice.

I'm not saying its not doable. I'm saying that it isn't the best option for the money you'd be paying (for most people).
Yes, its not the best solution if all you care about in the world is comfy couch online competitive FPS's. If you can work around that, and maybe accept a slight disadvantage, use a keyboard/mouse like normal, or just not play them, its really not a huge deal. That one thing does not completely devalue all the other advantages it has.

I'm misremembering it. I only read the review about how the performance gap closed significantly on Anandtech.

It's actually with 20-25% below the 970.

It's still a big deal since mobile versions would be 50-60% behind the desktop version in the past.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8585/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980m-970m-mobile-maxwell-gm204/2

970 is more like a 50% performance boost.

http://www.computerbase.de/2014-10/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970m-sli-notebook-test/3/

That anandtech link you provided would actually mean that 970 is more like ~1.6-1.8 the performance of the 970M, i.e. an even bigger difference than what computerbase measured.

"In terms of theoretical compute performance (cores * clock speed), the GTX 980M will be about 30-35% faster than the GTX 970M in GPU-bound situations. If you're curious, the GTX 970M will also offer around 55-65% of the performance of the desktop GTX 970, so the second tier GPU ends up being closer to what we've seen with previous generations of NVIDIA mobile GPUs."

LilJoka

Emulators could be one reason. Recently these devices were being considered to game on directly, rather than streaming to them.

I use my Pi for streaming, the only downside is that the 360 wireless receiver requires more power than the Pi USB ports can supply. But my 360 pads can connect to my Host PC from where i stream from anyways.
I think this problem is solved on the newer Raspberry Pi. I use Ethernet all the way too.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Emulators could be one reason. Recently these devices were being considered to game on directly, rather than streaming to them.

Which they really should consider. $1000 for a "streaming" box just... isn't really what prime-time should be. It's kinda sad that Valve or hardware manufacturers aren't attempting to eat a few losses to get a mid-range/PS4-clone out for around the PS4's price to attempt to trojan horse PC's on primarily console gamers.

But I guess the question is: how would you put that prospect on primary console gamers. So probably a good thing to go this way, even if it's wayyy more overpriced (IMO) than it should be.

Which they really should consider. $1000 for a "streaming" box just... isn't really what prime-time should be. It's kinda sad that Valve or hardware manufacturers aren't attempting to eat a few losses to get a mid-range/PS4-clone out for around the PS4's price to attempt to trojan horse PC's on primarily console gamers.

But I guess the question is: how would you put that prospect on primary console gamers. So probably a good thing to go this way, even if it's wayyy more overpriced (IMO) than it should be.

Huh? They're talking about cheap streaming solutions, like the Steam Link.

Nzyme32

The Streaming box "Steam Link" is $49.99 - that's less than a AAA game

Why would I want a white console? To go with my white blue ray player and my tv with a white bazel?

Now that I think about it i've never owned a white console. Not even the PS1.

patapuf

There are no royalties for the hardware manufacturer. They have to make the money on the hardware. Thus they have no interest in "subsidising" steam machines.

So is this anything different than what we've seen in the past couple of years? Expensive pre-built pcs in a small form factor (definition of steam box I guess). People get excited about specs and then the price is announced indicating above market value for parts within. Save hundreds and build yourself a pc with better parts in an mini/micro case. People will need to pay a high premium for a small box.

Nzyme32

Do you have to buy the controller separately and I don't know much about steam OS, but how much ram does the OS take up?

A Steam Controller come with the Machine, Valve supplies them to OEMs for free. Generally Linux distros have reduced resource requirements than Windows but no one knows what the release version of SteamOS will be like

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So is this anything different than what we've seen in the past couple of years? Expensive pre-built pcs in a small form factor (definition of steam box I guess). People get excited about specs and then the price is announced indicating above market value for parts within. Save hundreds and build yourself a pc with better parts in an mini/micro case. People will need to pay a high premium for a small box.

What's the market value for Skylake?

LilJoka

Think you missed the context of my post. Was referring to less than $200 devices, raspberry pi etc.

Valve are making a $50 box to stream to.

A Steam Controller come with the Machine, Valve supplies them to OEMs for free. Generally Linux distros have reduced resource requirements than Windows but no one knows what the release version of SteamOS will be like

I just checked some of the ram usage on some are lower than 100Mbs and others have around 2gbs . If it takes a good chunk of ram than some games won't be able to run on some steammachines?

AJLma

Zotac, always doing a little more than the other guys but never getting the recognition they deserve.

That's the best looking box I've seen so far.

Yudoken

What happened about this design?
I'm not a fan of using notebook like hardware instead of using full pc components in a small, console like case.
This case unites the pros of consoles (convenient form factor) with the pros of pc's (easily upgradable, good price ratio for hardware, you can use mostly standard pc components).
I really wish they would go this way with steam machines...

steammachineopen-jpg.24518

Devildoll

How powerful the 970M is?
I'm not too fond of mobile graphics, can't they put desktop graphics on Steam Machines?

here's some benchmarks from tomshardware if you want to know a bit about how the card performs

Cool beans

If you want, you can also build your own pc and install steam os on it.

The difference in SMM outweigh the 200MHz difference in clockspeed.

970M vs 960
Pixel Rate: 44.4 GPixel/s vs 36.1 GPixel/s
Texture Rate: 73.9 GTexel/s vs 72.1 GTexel/s
Floating-point performance: 2,365 GFLOPS vs 2,308 GFLOPS

970M has a pretty big edge on pixel fillrate, but otherwise it seems pretty even.

Jimrpg

Anyone who want an out of the box ready solution to play PC centric games. Surprising amount of steam users are actually in this bracket after getting involved via laptops but have no interest in building or are more compelled to a living room setup. Even with the reduced library there are a sizeable amount of folks focused on PC centric games, indie and early access. As it stands, those are well supported for current and new titles

I don't know if it will be a mainstream success or not, but I know it doesn't appeal to me.

PCs are all about customization so steam machines take away the most important part of that. True there are lots of different builds but even just looking at this Zotac model, there are a few things I'd change, bigger SSD, gtx 970 oc not 970m etc. I like the case a lot though.

But if you're going to buy something like this you end up researching on them, and you'll want to choose your own parts in the end to maximize performance vs budget. The only thing I can see this being a success is selling these at Department stores but even then people have done so for a long time now.

ughhhhh zotac...never again

my video card of theirs died, and they tried to replace it with one that was inferior in every way. Took them about a week to get back when I declined their replacement. About a month overall to replace my dead video card

-MB-

Maybe Intel should sponsor these steam machines and give manufacturers a huge discount, like they are doing with their bay trail atoms in cheap tablets and sticks.
Could help these steam machines be a bit more competitve in price.

Top Bottom