• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comfy Couch PC Gaming Thread | Cheap streaming is now here

MRORANGE

iEu6osZfx60np.jpg

I'll probably develop this as it goes along, would love to add stuff to the OP if you think it's useful:

In the last year or so, we have started to see the shift away from having big bulky HTPC's to more smaller form factor PC's in the living room, while full ATX PC's are not a bad option their size and noise can be a problem at times. Recently people have been looking into Streaming with low powered platforms that can deliver our games from our Desktop PC. I've decided to list out the main options for us to play PC games on our TV:

• Traditional ATX / HTPC
  • ITX Gaming PC
  • Android/Raspberry Pi streaming box
  • HDMI X86 Sticks / NUC / Ultra-small PC's

What we are going to look at today are two prospective candidates for a X86 PC that is low cost and could be the gaming hub of your living room:

Meegopad T01 £65/$98;
LqAHo88.jpg

Windows 8.1 with Bing
32GB Onboard
Quad Core Intel Atom Baytrail 1.3Ghz
2GB RAM
USB port, uses micro USB to charge, has MMC slot

This is cheaper than the upcoming Intel HDMI stick and seems to be the same thing. at less than $100 it's a perfectly viable platform for Streaming Steam content as well as running old games and emulated games. This has only been released in the last couple of months so details and videos are scarce, performance wise it's capable of running games from 2005 at reasonable frame-rates. the main advantage is that it's small and compact, something you could take anywhere.

Pipo X7: £67/$129??
fkGehxR.jpg

Windows 8.1 with Bing
32GB Onboard
Quad Core Intel Atom Baytrail at 2.16Ghz???
2GB RAM
LAN PORT
4 USB port, uses micro AC to charge, has MMC slot

Depending on where you live this might be more expensive, but it has 4 usb ports and a LAN port!, overall this bare bone PC seems to have a a higher clocked CPU? This could be a lot better as a streaming solution due to LAN port and having several USB's to plugin controllers/hard-drives

PC Controllers/B]
How to use your XBO controller as a PC controller
How to use your PS4 controller as a PC controller
How to use your PS3 controller as a PC controller
How to use your Wii U Pro Padc controller as a PC controller

Working on the rest of the OT later...

Momentary

Banned
I'm drunk and probably misunderstand the OT but I'm just going to post this anyway:

There are some nice cases out there for mini-ITX and Micro ATX solutions.

There's the PC-O5, O5s, and O6s. The S models allow for water cooling. The O6s allows for CPU and GPU watercooling which would equal less noise from a GPU and CPU fan.
O_series-b.jpg

Silverstone also has their RVZ01, ML08, and FTZ01 models.
silverstone_rvz01.jpg

computex-2014-silverstone-boitier-ftz01-rvz01-rouge-ml08-3.JPG

All of these give you a nice small form factor that frees you of having to look at a gaudy tower in your media center or man cave while allowing you to use FULL sized GPUs.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Subbed. Been gaming on the PC from the couch for over one year now and there's no turning back. I'll look into sharing some experiences here later. I don't do streaming since my desktop is directly plugged to the TV in my media center, but I'm interested in these solutions nonetheless.

TheBear

Not really into streaming as I now just have my PC plugged directly into my TV, but I am curious about how everyone controls their gaming PC's. Having a mouse and keyboard is a must even if you are booting directly into BPM.
At the moment I have a wireless mouse with a solid backed mouse pad and just a small USB keyboard that stays plugged in. Works reasonably well, but I can't have a full kb/m experience for obvious reasons, and I don't think a wireless keyboard would be the solution either.
Also, WiiU Pro w/ mayflash is the best controller by far. So easy to use and battery life is crazy good. Ditched the 360 controller and have't looked back.

Miletius

Great idea for a thread. Might I suggest a section on routers? With any streaming solution that's going to be super important -- and many people are going to have a full powered desktop backed up by a smaller streaming device sitting near the television.

Zerin

Really happy to see these inexpensive solutions on an HDMI stick for stream steaming. Been waiting for 'SHIELD on a stick!' but it just hasn't happened.

sprinkles

I hope someone puts Steam-OS on one of those X86 sticks and sells it cheap so I can put Steam on all the TV's in the house.

Not really into streaming as I now just have my PC plugged directly into my TV, but I am curious about how everyone controls their gaming PC's.
For the living room TV (long HDMI cable through the wall to the PC in the guest bedroom) I use a Logitech K400 and wireless 360 controllers.

Subbing and just want to give a heads up on the Mayflash Wii U adapter for the PC. It is excellent to use if you are a fan of the Wii U Pro Controller.

Matty8787

Awesome thread!

I just last week bought myself an MSI Windbox DC111 for in-home streaming. Only had a quick play with it, but it loads up steam no problem. Had a little bit of lag but I have yet to mess with the settings or set up hardware decoding!

Definitely subbing.

Matty8787

Just realised the chip inside my windbox doesn't support Quick Sync, which is a shame but hope it doesn't have too much of negative effect.

Speevy

Banned
I have the longest HDMI cable you have ever seen coming from my TV to my computer on the other side of the room.

I'm fatter and lazier than ever.

hepburn3d

I've couch PC'd for about a year now and not looked back. We have a desktop PC and a TV PC. I primarily used a xbox360 controller with all programs run through steam Big Picture but occasionally a mouse and keyboard is required.

LqAHo88.jpg

I'm very interested in buying this as I'd love to stream my games to the bedroom TV.

The one thing that's annoying me is that my BIOS doesn't seem to have Wake on LAN installed anywhere :( I'd love to wake up, grab the phone, ping the living room PC to turn on and the bedroom TV, then grab the controller and jump into something :p I'm lazy

For ~£100 i'm very curious to try this. I'm kind of waiting for someone else to try it and feedback. Most things I've jumped into quickly have ended up being almost there but not quite ready.

MrGerbils

I've been waiting for a sub $100 steam streaming solution. I dont need a steam box or a shield with an attached screen, I just need the cheapest thing possible to stream video from my PC in my office to my living room and bedroom TVs. Would love to hear how well these things work.

GruntosUK

I use a Surface Pro at the moment, either standalone or into a TV, it works well enough. Although I could really do with some I could hard wire into the network.

Nzyme32

Few more pics and info on Silverstone's new RVZ02 case shown at CES 2015 in an early state.

It's 35cm x 35 cm x 8 cm and is set to cost "less than $85". Seems everyone is pretty impressed with it from what they have reported.

SilverstoneRavenRVZ02Cover.png
f6d75b63-f546-430b-b7cc-0056d7b91001.jpg

Hasney

Personally, I'm looking at the HP Stream mini models, depending on noise

http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/hp-pavilion-300-020-mini/

hp-pavilion-300-020-mini-007.jpg

HP feels there's still room for a tiny desktop, whether hooked up in the living room or on an office desk. The Pavilion 300-020 Mini starts with Intel Celeron or Pentium CPUs, but can be configured with a faster Intel Core i-series CPU as well. It's 5.7 inches (145mm) square and about 2 inches (50mm) thick, and has a minimalist gray and silver plastic 1.6 pound (725 gram) body.
Inside, you get a 500GB 7,200rpm hard drive and 4GB of RAM. Two USB 3.0 ports are on the front panel, with two more on the rear, along with both HDMI and DisplayPort outputs, an audio output, and an Ethernet jack.

The similar-looking Stream Mini cuts a few features to hit a lower price. Much like the recent Stream line of HP laptops and tablets (including the Stream 11 laptop, which we felt was an excellent value at $200), the Stream Mini is designed to be cloud-based, which is another way of saying it lacks a traditional hard drive. Inside, you'll get a small 32GB SSD, most of which will likely be taken up by the operating system files.
The processor is a low-power Intel Celeron, and the RAM in the Stream Mini gets cut to only 2GB. That said, you get the same generous collection of ports as on the Pavillion, with four USB ports, dual video outputs and Ethernet.

Both the Pavilion Mini and Stream Mini will be available in the US on January 14, with the Pavilion starting at $319 and the Stream at $179

OK, I'll bite, my computer is in one room, my TV in another next to it but cords aren't an option. A wall and like 5-7 metres apart?

I have wireless, and a Chromecast. Can I get my PC to stream to my TV with that? I also have a PS4, some Legit PS3/PS4 Controllers and a wired XBOX 360 and some wireless X360 controllers, but no bluetooth in my PC so not sure how to control it :(

Cirruss

Has anyone tried streaming with the Pipo x7? Can't find any reviews for how it is since it just launched recently it seems.

Hasney

OK, I'll bite, my computer is in one room, my TV in another next to it but cords aren't an option. A wall and like 5-7 metres apart?

I have wireless, and a Chromecast. Can I get my PC to stream to my TV with that? I also have a PS4, some Legit PS3/PS4 Controllers and a wired XBOX 360 and some wireless X360 controllers, but no bluetooth in my PC so not sure how to control it :(

No Chromecast support I'm afraid, so you'd need some kind of PC hooked up to the TV. Just make sure that's got bluetooth and it should pass it to the PC fine if you want to use PS3/4 controls, or get a USB adaptor for the wireless 360 pad!

From my personal experience (and it might just be me, there's 5 devices on here plus 20 SSIDs in the area), you need at least ac wireless for 1080p. I've heard good things about powerline ethernet, but it depends on your house wiring.

I'm about to just buy a fire TV stick, install limelight on it and buy a dualshock 4. As far as I know that will work fine. Is there any reason why I should spend more to stream to my TV?

Nzyme32

I'm about to just buy a fire TV stick, install limelight on it and buy a dualshock 4. As far as I know that will work fine. Is there any reason why I should spend more to stream to my TV?

This is a hunch of mine, but I think there will be an android client or update to Steam on Android to support Streaming at the very least since there is this wording on the In-home Streaming page -

hqaP0qy.png

If that happened, it would become a lot simpler to have a streaming solution for many users

Hasney

As long as you've got an NVidia card in the 600 series or above, should work fine.

EDIT: After thinking that's a great idea especially as I have a Kindle Fire HDX, they don't sell the stick over here.

Donos

Has someone the cooler Master 130 itx case?

Not quite clear for me from the op, but why stream? Because the pc is to far away to plug it in via hdmi?

b0bbyJ03

I've got my gaming PC hooked up to my TV/home theater in my living room and it's great. U definitely have to make some compromises and figure out what works but for the most part there is no going back for me. Plus I game on a Panasonic plasma so the picture is amazing. I've got the PC set to automatically log in and start in Big picture mode. I usually use an Xbox controller but for FPS games Ive got a Razer black widow keyboard with a USB extension so that it makes it to my couch. The keyboard has a USB in and that is what I use to connect my mouse. I also have a solid mouse pad. I typically place the keyboard on my lap and the mouse on my right side on the couch. It's very comfortable and works well for me. Curious to know how everyone else does it.

LilJoka

Raspberry Pi with limelight pi and a 7/9 series nvidia GPU can do streaming via steam big picture mode. £30 job.

Has someone the cooler Master 130 itx case?

Not quite clear for me from the op, but why stream? Because the pc is to far away to plug it in via hdmi?

It's cheap! The host PC renders the game. Means you can have your PC in the study room and a small cheap streaming device in the lounge.

Fractal Design Node 304 is a better ITX case than the Coolermaster offerings.

Nerix

I build my rig around the Silverstone RVZ01 and it works like a charm. That case fits perfectly in my commode.

My build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HPhmxr

The only problem with couch-PC-gaming I have is the missing UI adaption for very many games. The UI is often simply too small to enjoy playing it on the TV sitting 3-4m away (55" TV here).

Every developer should have that in mind and should add an alternate UI for TV screens (often they have to do that anyway if they want to release the game on consoles).

Donos

Raspberry Pi with limelight pi and a 7/9 series nvidia GPU can do streaming via steam big picture mode. £30 job.

It's cheap! The host PC renders the game. Means you can have your PC in the study room and a small cheap streaming device in the lounge.
That's what i mean. PC is somewhere else and you stream the picture to the TV.
Don't need this anyway since i don't have a pc (laptop) and if i would get one, it will be hooked up directly with hdmi to my 42" bravia in the living room. But when i think of it, streaming it into the bedroom would be interesting. Have two Rasperry Pi's at home. One is now unused because of the Amazon Fire Tv (with Kodi) so i would be ready to go. Thanks.

How is the lag with such devices? Playing games like Divinity: Origins is probably fine but for shooters like Counterstrike or BF4?
Fractal Design Node 304 is a better ITX case than the Coolermaster offerings.

But also around 30€ more.Thanks, going to take it into my items list. I'm not even sure if i'm going to build an gaming ITX. I want to so bad, but this would take me back like 700 € while PS4 is half of it (i still have a year of PS+). Thinking about buying a few parts every month so that i'm ready to go in march-april but i'm afraid i'm not really that patient.

Wonderful thread, def subbed. I have a mid sized PC hooked directly to my tv - for gaming I boot into steam and click the Xbox guide button. I have a full keyboard/mouse setup that rests on our ottoman or under the couch when not in use. For games that need it I either rest it on my lap, put it on the cushions that came with it or use it in a beanbag chair (maximum comfort attained).

still looking to lower the cable count, but I'm making my game area as comfy as possible. I don't use in home streaming, but I do streaming of my own on twitch.

FloatOn

man, the computer on a stick thing is awesome.

I'll probably get the intel one and use it as my indie game machine in the bedroom.

Great thread.

Hasney

How is the lag with such devices? Playing games like Divinity: Origins is probably fine but for shooters like Counterstrike or BF4?

I finished Metal Gear Rising with a high score on it, so that was my test. Again, fully wired via gigabit on the host and 100mbit on the client.

Not really into streaming as I now just have my PC plugged directly into my TV, but I am curious about how everyone controls their gaming PC's. Having a mouse and keyboard is a must even if you are booting directly into BPM.
I have been using this to control my Plex HTPC and it is amazing.
The commands do take a bit to get used to, but it does everything my old regular KB+M did, but in a more compact design. It is also backlit, so it is nice for nights.

Edit: I will also subscribe since I have been wanting a way to play my Steam indie collection on my TV.

Seanspeed

Banned
Having a mouse and keyboard is a must even if you are booting directly into BPM.
Which is why PC couch gaming is never going to be viable for me. I don't want to have a keyboard and mouse in my living room. I've got no good place to put them unless I store them away and its not 'convenient' anymore if I have to get them out anytime I want to play, then lean forward on my couch to access the kb/m on the coffee table.

I've got a comfortable desk chair and a decent size monitor and playing in the living room would be a step backwards anyways. There's times I wish I could play a game in the living room, but I just don't think its worth doing. Its hassle and money I don't care to go through. I envy those of you who this isn't a problem for.

FloatOn

Which is why PC couch gaming is never going to be viable for me. I don't want to have a keyboard and mouse in my living room. I've got no good place to put them unless I store them away and its not 'convenient' anymore if I have to get them out anytime I want to play, then lean forward on my couch to access the kb/m on the coffee table.

I've got a comfortable desk chair and a decent size monitor and playing in the living room would be a step backwards anyways. There's times I wish I could play a game in the living room, but I just don't think its worth doing. Its hassle and money I don't care to go through. I envy those of you who this isn't a problem for.

I use this frequently. It might be a decent solution for you too.

wireless-touch-keyboard-k400r-feature-image.png

Hasney

Outside of initial setup, I never a keyboard after installing SteamOS (which I would be doing with one of these x64 sticks). The virtual keyboard is good enough for chat to ask someone if they want to play (although it needs a decent party system) and eveything is just perfectly navigated on a 360 controller.

I'm kind of hoping that if these GDC rumours about Valve are true, they announce a Steam Stream Stick as one of the products and native playback/network streaming of Audio/Video files too.

Amazingly enough, I've got one of these but used it on the PS4 instead. Damn you, FF XIV.

Seanspeed

Banned

That or the other little keyboard combo thing would be ok(even though I hate hate hate touchpad mouse pointing) if I only ever played games that work well with a controller. But I'd feel quite limited in that situation. I mean, it would be nice on occasion, but I don't think I'd get a ton of use out of it.

Yeah, that is why the Logitech Mini Controller is the way to go since it can fit in your remote holder. The other KB+M listed is very nice, but it is still a bit hard to put away since it is the size of a laptop. I use that one for my Gamestick since I need to type out things more.
Honestly the biggest gripe I have this gen is that controllers are harder to store near my couch. The DS4 is bigger than DS3 which makes it awkward to store.

Edit: To clarify the Logitech Mini folded is about the size of a Wii Classic Controller.
Also yeah an Xbox 360 controller is the best method to play games with. Navigation is what I am mainly talking about.

I have one of these, but I hardly use it in favor of a more traditional wireless KB+M on my main PC (which is also hooked up to my 42inch TV directly).

These sticks will be great for mini-arcade cabinets, or heck even full sized low power ones. May end up getting a little one for my daughter in a couple years when she needs a PC for homework.

May I also suggest a small section on Software?

One of the most annoying things with Steam Streaming is that if your PC gets locked, as in being in the "enter password" screen of Windows, you cant stream, you need to physically get up to the computer and unlock it. Very annoying if your PC is in a closet or somewhere hard to get.

The other solution is to remote desktop to it with your phone and enter the password, but its very finicky and its usually enough for me to not want to play anymore.

In Android, the following apps wont lock the computer after Remoting to it when you disconnect:

Chrome Remote Desktop
Teamviewer

While Microsoft's own Remote Desktop WILL lock the computer when you disconnect from it.

Hopefully someone has a better solution to this issue, and dont tell me to remove all passwords, thats crazyness for a machine that its always on and connected to the internet.

Anyway....

For something like the Meego Stick, how would you go about adding a USB bluetooth adapter in order to connect DS3 or DS4 to it?

And would it have a fast enough decode? I have and old ITX machine that seems to have trouble decoding the Steam Stream so it lags, very annoying.

Right now I also own nVidia's Shield which awesome when I have tried it, but I never use it on my TV because of the hassle of having to connect the HDMI cable, and also the hassle that I dont want to purchase Shield's own controller and that I lose the ability to connect my DS3 wirelessly everytime they update Android as I lose Root privileges.

So Im really looking forward for a cheap permanent solution connected to my TV that lets me use a Wireless controller.

Nzyme32

We used a wireless mouse and keyboard but would have to use the armrest as a mouse mat and have the keyboard on your lap. It works well and is pretty comfortable but obviously, you have to compromise where and how you sit and can't pass controls around easily. This is pretty much where I am hoping the steam controller can actually be good and save the day.

Hasney

May I also suggest a small section on Software?

One of the most annoying things with Steam Streaming is that if your PC gets locked, as in being in the "enter password" screen of Windows, you cant stream, you need to physically get up to the computer and unlock it. Very annoying if your PC is in a closet or somewhere hard to get.

The other solution is to remote desktop to it with your phone and enter the password, but its very finicky and its usually enough for me to not want to play anymore.

In Android, the following apps wont lock the computer after Remoting to it when you disconnect:

Chrome Remote Desktop
Teamviewer

While Microsoft's own Remote Desktop WILL lock the computer when you disconnect from it.

Hopefully someone has a better solution to this issue, and dont tell me to remove all passwords, thats crazyness for a machine that its always on and connected to the internet.

Anyway....

For something like the Meego Stick, how would you about adding a USB bluetooth adapter in order to connect DS3 or DS4 to it?

And would it have a fast enough decode? I have and old ITX machine that seems to have trouble decoding the Steam Stream so it lags, very annoying.

Right now I also own nVidia's Shield which awesome when I have tried it, but I never use it on my TV because of the hassle of having to connect the HDMI cable, and also the hassle that I dont want to purchase Shield's own controller and that I lose the ability to connect my DS3 wirelessly everytime they update Android as I lose Root privileges.

So Im really looking forward for a cheap permanent solution connected to my TV that lets me use a Wireless controller.

I've just got a separate SteamOS partition on a 3TB hard drive with all my windows drives encrypted. Since I do all my gaming streaming now and that's what the desktop is mostly used for, I just default boot into that and I'm ready to go on both machines.

I guess I'm just lucky, but my kb/m combo fits under the couch. Not a hassle to lift up to play, and is hidden when not in use. It's still no desk, don't get me wrong, but it works for games that demand it .

This is pretty much where I am hoping the steam controller can actually be good and save the day.
Yeah, after I tested our some round touch pads from Logitech ... I can see the potential in making it an analog. Xbox 360 has been the standard for controllers for 10 years, so it is nice to see something mix it up.

Unless you only play K+M heavy games you should be able to have a nice setup in your living room without bulk.

And even then, you should almost never have to use that little remote, you can configure your living room streaming machine to boot to Steam as soon as it turns on and use a wireless Pad to navigate Steam OS. The control would only be for the Odd game that needs some configuration with a mouse or those annoying games with Windows Launchers.

Burny

Never say never. ;)

I solved the "keyboard on a coffee table" issue by getting this table from Ikea. Its feet fit under the couch and I can place both mouse and keyboard on it.

I didn't have a gaming PC at the desk though, so I just build one for the living room last year. No streaming, just a Lean Li PC-C60 case that is placed on the shelf under the AVR. It's somewhat audible, but quiet enough to be drowned out by the speakers while playing games. A Logitech K830 keyboard together with a Logitech "unifying" mouse have served me well so far, even though they're not the most gaming centered and therefore comfortable peripherals.

wilflare

the USB port on the FireTV Stick isn't a USB-OTG (you can't plug in peripherals to it) I read so you may be limited to Bluetooth only... which may be wonky at best :/

I sure hope we get an update to the Android app or at least a Chromecast app or something

EDIT:

The Razer Turret seems like a good KB/M option for Comfy Couch

Can the Raspberry Pi do 1080p60 with no issue on Limelight?
may look into getting one - hope the DS4 works well with it

Top Bottom