• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comfy Couch PC Gaming Thread | Cheap streaming is now here

It'll probably run SteamOS which has DS3 & 4 support as long as you get bluetooth. 360 controllers, both wired and wireless with an adaptor work fine too.

That would be great, I dont have pics right now, but it seems like Link has 3 USB ports, 1 on the side, 2 at the back, ethernet jack, HDMI port and power port.

Bodes really well for expansion as Im guessing it will have like 2 GB of space.

kikonawa

My xbox360controller + wireless adapter combo works five on the pipo when streaming trough steam. The only game that doesnt recognise my controller over the network is far cry4 oddly

Backlogger

My xbox360controller + wireless adapter combo works five on the pipo when streaming trough steam. The only game that doesnt recognise my controller over the network is far cry4 oddly

That might be because of Uplay being in the mix

For Steam Link, has anyone seen anything about media support? If I can stream videos as well from my Windows PC straight through Steam, that would be great. It might be a dealbreaker otherwise.

I haven't heard anything in particular. SteamOS and Big Picture Mode have music support so streaming music will probably work. There is probably some kind of work around possible, but this isn't a deal breaker to me, I have a Roku and other devices for streaming Netflix and Plex.

Hasney

I haven't heard anything in particular. SteamOS and Big Picture Mode have music support so streaming music will probably work. There is probably some kind of work around possible, but this isn't a deal breaker to me, I have a Roku and other devices for streaming Netflix and Plex.

It's not for me anymore either. I've noticed the Sony TV I'm buying in a couple of weeks has DLNA and even .mkv support, so I'm happy either way now.

Xdrive05

Bumping this thread to say that Steam streaming (and Big Picture Mode) has changed everything for me. I was impatiently waiting for Steam Link in November when I realised that I can use my wife's laptop to do the same thing right now.

I'm using a Powerline-type wired connection through my house's electrical wiring, and the performance is great! There's some input lag, but not much. I can play Divekick and Super Meat Boy competantly so It's not prohibitive.

My wife is very happy with this too. She's playing South Park SoT tonight in our living room.

I will definitely get a Steam Link when available, maybe the controller too. But this laptop setup will work in the meantime.

If anyone is on the fence about trying this now, go for it!

While I run an HDMI cable to my big TV in my man cave i'd love to set up streaming to my bedroom TV if only for them days i can't get out of bed.

Backlogger

It's not for me anymore either. I've noticed the Sony TV I'm buying in a couple of weeks has DLNA and even .mkv support, so I'm happy either way now.

By the way, I downloaded "Plex for Home Theater" to my main PC which runs a decent full screen Plex app that can even be controlled with an xBox controller. I added a shortcut to Steam but haven't tested Streaming it to another machine via Steam in Home Streaming. If I remember I will test tomorrow and let you know how well it works.

I think a native Plex app on a Roku or other device is still the best way to go, but its nice to know all the options

My Pipo X7 order got cancelled after waiting, 2 1/2 months, just wow...

Never trusting Gearbest again.

That sucks, kinda glad I waited too long to order it

eso76

My Pipo X7 order got cancelled after waiting, 2 1/2 months, just wow...

Never trusting Gearbest again.

I got mine last month from gearbest. It was slow, but they finally delivered.

BUT

I'm trying to spread the word, because there's something you have to know when buying a Pipo X7.

The thing has NO HEATSINK and the CPU gets hot rather fast, which means a few minutes of emulation will send it throttling.like.crazy.

Mine is currently running at 0.05Ghz (yes, 0.05) after playing one 90 mins .mkv file and 6 flacs.
For my setup, this thing is completely useless for emulation, and requires modding.

Also, since Windows likes to cut audio playback through HDMI when i turn the TV off (although not Always) it's not an ideal music player / spotify client either.

Jirotrom

By Gabens glasses! Awesome thread, love the cases!

FHMz0BD.gif

so amazing lol

kikonawa

I got mine last month from gearbest. It was slow, but they finally delivered.

BUT

I'm trying to spread the word, because there's something you have to know when buying a Pipo X7.

The thing has NO HEATSINK and the CPU gets hot rather fast, which means a few minutes of emulation will send it throttling.like.crazy.

Mine is currently running at 0.05Ghz (yes, 0.05) after playing one 90 mins .mkv file and 6 flacs.
For my setup, this thing is completely useless for emulation, and requires modding.

Also, since Windows likes to cut audio playback through HDMI when i turn the TV off (although not Always) it's not an ideal music player / spotify client either.
I had a simple mod done on my pipo. Stresstesting 100% for 1 hour my temp goes 66c max so no throtthling going on

eso76

I had a simple mod done on my pipo. Stresstesting 100% for 1 hour my temp goes 66c max so no throtthling going on

Tell me more !

There's a mod i've read about online, includes sticking heatsinks all over and a couple other things, haven't gotten around to buying the heatsinks though.

Backlogger

So I plan on putting a post together with some picture of my current setup but I wanted to post this keyboard for now because for the cost and what it does its perfect:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KF9IVKC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

There are several sellers of the same looking keyboard on Amazon and I am guessing they are all made by the same manufacturer. Gives you basic keyboard functionality for when you need it.

I have my machine loading directly to Steam Big Picture Mode but this keyboard has been perfect for when I have needed it. The trackpad part is so-so but in BPM I am using the xBox controller 99% of the time anyway.

Shaneus

So I plan on putting a post together with some picture of my current setup but I wanted to post this keyboard for now because for the cost and what it does its perfect:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KF9IVKC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

There are several sellers of the same looking keyboard on Amazon and I am guessing they are all made by the same manufacturer. Gives you basic keyboard functionality for when you need it.

I have my machine loading directly to Steam Big Picture Mode but this keyboard has been perfect for when I have needed it. The trackpad part is so-so but in BPM I am using the xBox controller 99% of the time anyway.
So that also works for PC without any issue? I currently control my HTPC/media server with the Logitech (relative) monolith but that looks like it'd be perfect. As long as it doesn't feel horrifically cheap.

You say the trackpad is so-so, but it's serviceable? For basic Win8 navigation and occasional web browsing, I mean.

Backlogger

So that also works for PC without any issue? I currently control my HTPC/media server with the Logitech (relative) monolith but that looks like it'd be perfect. As long as it doesn't feel horrifically cheap.

You say the trackpad is so-so, but it's serviceable? For basic Win8 navigation and occasional web browsing, I mean.

It works for me better than I had expected. I would say the worst part is the trackpad, but it is serviceable. I had a moment where it stopped registering clicks on the trackpad but you will notice the keyboard has 2 sets of physical buttons for mouse clicks. After a reboot I noticed the trackpad clicks were working again. As far as the keyboard I keep my PC behind my TV stand so the signal is going through the TV stand and passing through other potentially signal conflicting hardware and I have had zero issues with the typing input keeping up with me.

It doesn't feel cheap but it does feel a lot lighter than I would have thought. I haven't charged it yet so its still working on the whatever charge was there from manufacturing. It doesn't use AA type rechargeables and instead has some type of battery pack. Not sure how easy that is to replace if it wears. So I might need to give it a couple months to see how it holds up but my initial feeling is that its way more than I was expecting.

I had originally planned on picking up a Logitech K400 as they frequently get marked down to $20 on Amazon. I will probably do that if this unit doesn't work out but I am hoping it does because the small form factor is fantastic.

Another option would be the Lenovo HTPC remote, but it costs a little more than I want to spend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsq8Nw4l0d0

Nzyme32

For anyone interested in the Intel Compute Stick, ArsTechnica have done a mini review - http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...a-full-pc-thats-tiny-in-size-and-performance/

Right now, the Compute Stick feels like a version 1.0 product as well as a niche product. A revision with Cherry Trail would go a long way toward making its performance more acceptable for a wider range of tasks, and we hope that Intel gets around to lifting some of the OS restrictions in place here. It’s really neat that a full Windows PC will fit into something you can stick in your pocket. Now let’s make it a better PC.

The good
  • Small
  • Cheap
  • Uses little power
  • Plugs right in to existing TVs and monitors and can often be powered using only their built-in USB ports

The bad
  • Performs well enough for what it does, but compared to other mini-desktops, it’s slow
  • Low RAM and storage, which is even worse in the Linux version
  • Limited official OS support
  • One full-size USB 2.0 port, which limits the number of peripherals you can plug in at once

The ugly
  • Bluetooth lagginess can make wireless mouse and keyboard use a pain.

I already decided on the Steam Link a while back, but look forward to seeing how the Compute Stick idea is iterated on in future

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I'm moving soon and will likely need a device to use as a Steam/Media server in the near future.

Anyone have any success with a ~$100 device that works well over WiFi? The recommendations in the OP seem to have mixed reviews.

Burny

http://slickdeals.net/f/7904373-log...s-keyboard-black-59-99-free-shipping-best-buy

Should I do it?? Who owns this keyboard. I currently use the kb400

I do. Can't compare it to other all in one keyboards, but it's in itself a good choice. Pretty small, illuminated keys, decent range and battery life and can be charged using a micro USB cable. Good touch pad. At that price, I'd say go for it, if a small sized all in one keyboard is what you want.

Edit: As you already got one though, you should consider if the k830 is enough of an upgrade over the kb400 to justify buying another keyboard.

Hasney

Ended up pre-ordering the Steam Link. Will be nice to have something constantly plugged in rather than plugging in my laptop HDMI constantly.

Matty8787

Ended up pre-ordering the Steam Link. Will be nice to have something constantly plugged in rather than plugging in my laptop HDMI constantly.

May opto for a steam link myself, got an MSI Windbox currently plugged in and while it works, I get the slow decode error come up every now and then, turns out the intel chip in this thing doesn't support hardware decoding!

I paid £180 for that aswell, makes an excellent HTPC though.

Ark

I preordered it immediately after it was available. I can't wait to play MGSV PC with the Steam controller & Steam Link.

Hasney

I preordered it immediately after it was available. I can't wait to play MGSV PC with the Steam controller & Steam Link.

Got the controller too, but if I end up not linking it, my playarounds with SteamOS work with the wireless 360 adaptor too. Even the cheap Chinese ones that you have to fanny around with in Windows work perfectly plug and play in it.

wilflare

so did anyone pre-order the Steam Link?
I've almost given up... just gonna wire a super long HDMI cable to the living room...
but still need a new mouse and keyboard

Jarate

Banned
So ive been trying to get Steam Streaming to work, and im having a really hard time maintaining a good FPS over the internet. Im currently playing through a powerline adaptor, and while it can run at around 30 FPS, it mostly hovers around 20-15, which makes the gaming far to difficult to do anything of value on.

Now, I already ordered a Link, but I'd like to get these shenanigans figured out. Do you guys know of anything besides turning down theresolution that might help?

Backlogger

So ive been trying to get Steam Streaming to work, and im having a really hard time maintaining a good FPS over the internet. Im currently playing through a powerline adaptor, and while it can run at around 30 FPS, it mostly hovers around 20-15, which makes the gaming far to difficult to do anything of value on.

Now, I already ordered a Link, but I'd like to get these shenanigans figured out. Do you guys know of anything besides turning down theresolution that might help?

I am not a network expert but do you know what kind of transfer speeds you are getting through your powerline adapters? I don't have a lot of experience with those.

What kind of rig are you using on the receiving end?

Jarate

Banned
I am not a network expert but do you know what kind of transfer speeds you are getting through your powerline adapters? I don't have a lot of experience with those.

What kind of rig are you using on the receiving end?

Im pretty sure the powerline adaptors have a speed of 500Mbps and my rig is a 670, i5, with 8 gigs of ram

Backlogger

Im pretty sure the powerline adaptors have a speed of 500Mbps and my rig is a 670, i5, with 8 gigs of ram

Maybe there is some latency caused by the Powerline adapters. I will have to double check my Steam settings at home but we appear to have similar setups except for I'm all hard wired through a gigabit router and gigabit switches. I get some slow decoding messages when I launch a game but it usually goes away within seconds and I haven't noticed any significant framerate issues during actual gameplay.

Does anyone else have experience with powerline adapters and Steam Streaming?

Maybe there is some latency caused by the Powerline adapters. I will have to double check my Steam settings at home but we appear to have similar setups except for I'm all hard wired through a gigabit router and gigabit switches. I get some slow decoding messages when I launch a game but it usually goes away within seconds and I haven't noticed any significant framerate issues during actual gameplay.

Does anyone else have experience with powerline adapters and Steam Streaming?

Yes I use them all the time (these ones)

Great performance, very quick, I'm streaming 720p, 60fps (the laptop screen is only 720) but its flawless so far. Way quicker and more reliable than wireless. But again, its got a lot to do with the wiring in your house as well. Maybe find someone who has some plugs and see if they'll let you borrow them to try before you buy?

Nvidia not supporting HDMI-CEC on their cards really annoys me. From everything off I have to;

PS4

Press the guide button

PC

Turn the PC on
Turn the TV on
Turn the amp to the right input
Turn the controller on

I've got a sound question. I want a solution for voice chat with friends in my living room. I've got my PC hooked up to the TV, and sound is coming out of a logitech 5.1 setup.

I need a couch headset solution. At first I was thinking about a high end wireless set (A50s, SteelSeries H, etc), but I don't see why I'd trade my actual surround on my logitech speakers for virtual 7.1 surround.

So now I'm thinking maybe a wireless, monaural headset. Most of the ones I've found are pricey, and not gaming oriented, so I've got no reviews that are really relevant. I've got a really really cheap wired, monaural headset currently that I stretch to the couch using a couple cable extenders, but the sound quality is god awful as is the comfort and the sheer amount of cables.

Anyone dealt with this before? Where did you wind up?

Hasney

Best idea if you just want a one earpiece solution is to get a Bluetooth headset that's designed for a phone and just use that.

MisterM

For those using powerline adapters if you press Guide + Y during play when you have streaming stats enabled in Steam's options you get more detailed stats. One of which is an estimated bandwidth of your LAN connection.

My powerline adapters run between 180 and 280MBps which works perfectly at 1080p/60 @ "Beautiful" settings. It will also tell you input lag, display lag etc. Very useful.

I tried wifi and while my transfer speeds were higher, it wasn't a constant connection so input lag would spike along with compression artifacts.

I'm currently running SteamOS on an i5 laptop with 4GB RAM. I can't install Kodi on a Steam Link so will probably swap over to an Intel NUC in the future, unless someone knows of a solid cheaper SteamOS box just for Streaming/Kodi?

reKon

Banned
Using bluetooth to connect gaming/PS4 controllers on my HTPC/Gaming Rig simply does not work. I have a KB400 and the usb receiver for it plugged into one USB port. I think that this and other devices in general are causing a ton of interface making it impossible.

I've tried using my PS4 controller and the GameStop Samurai. Anyone have any help suggestions?

Hasney

Using bluetooth to connect gaming/PS4 controllers on my HTPC/Gaming Rig simply does not work. I have a KB400 and the usb receiver for it plugged into one USB port. I think that this and other devices in general are causing a ton of interface making it impossible.

I've tried using my PS4 controller and the GameStop Samurai. Anyone have any help suggestions?

Can you try the adaptor elsewhere to see if it is interference? My first bluetooth adaptor was just cheap and awful. I got a good one and everything worked great.

GamerSciz

Without even looking at this whole thread (which I plan to do right after posting this) I am so glad I am not the only one who finds it odd how there are few Mouse/Keyboard gaming solutions to game/stream in the living albeit on a couch or gaming chair of sorts. It just doesn't seem that common from the research I have done but I definitely want to set it up and hope reading through the comments I learn a lot about different ways to setup a gaming PC with M/K in the living room!

Edit: So after skimming through all the pages/posts I have come to a few conclusions.

Wireless mechanic keyboards basically don't exist so don't expect a Corsair type of Mechanic keyboard to come in a wireless version. That being said they usually have pretty long cords and getting an extension USB cord won't really affect the response time much at all from what I have read.

Mice wise, there are a number of options that are good wireless gaming mice, just make sure you get one with a charging station if possible so it can always be charged. Nothing worse then dying in a game because your mouse died first...

Chair wise...it seemed no one has really discussed gaming chairs in the living room. One person mentioned a very comfortable bean bag chair (I have heard of Big Joe brand being good). I think couch gaming is a great idea but perhaps for comfort-ability reasons a gaming chair of sorts in the living room might be a better option due to the height and depth compared to a couch (usually too low and too deep)

PC wise, I read things like Raspberry and Limelight...got to do more research on those. I stream using OBS with a second monitor hooked up to my PC. Works fine for me but if there are better solutions with less latency/lag I am all ears. Quality is key.

I think that is all for now but I appreciate everyone's input and look forward to talking more in this thread.

P.S. The Roccat Sava or however you spell it looks legit awesome but 2015 is almost over and still no word of a release date. Also the couchmaster is just too pricey.

P.S.S. Totally forgot to mention but everyone who has a living room setup I would love to see pictures to get an idea of what other people have done!

Admodieus

Does anybody have an Nvidia Shield TV? I was looking at one as a possible solution to streaming games to my living room from my PC using Gamestream. The fact that it also has media/streaming apps and has a more traditional controller that it works with (with a headset jack and microphone for multiplayer purposes) makes it more appealing than the Steam Link to me.

Other ideas included Steam Link + Steam Controller/XBox 360 wireless pad or moving my gaming PC to the living room, using an XBox One Wireless Controller + ChatPad from the couch, and streaming mouse + keyboard games to a laptop at my desk as needed.

womp

Does anybody have an Nvidia Shield TV? I was looking at one as a possible solution to streaming games to my living room from my PC using Gamestream. The fact that it also has media/streaming apps and has a more traditional controller that it works with (with a headset jack and microphone for multiplayer purposes) makes it more appealing than the Steam Link to me.

Other ideas included Steam Link + Steam Controller/XBox 360 wireless pad or moving my gaming PC to the living room, using an XBox One Wireless Controller + ChatPad from the couch, and streaming mouse + keyboard games to a laptop at my desk as needed.

Just get a Steam Link. I own a Shield TV but it is only because it takes place of a Chromecast and I use it for emulation and some YouTube and Plex usage (Wife and son will send videos to the TV with it). I also have my PC connected to my television....It's bliss. It is that little black box on the floor to the left. I will never buy another game console again. ;)

A couple buddies of mine have a Steam Link and they are head over heels with it...running great. Plus it is cheaper.

Just bought a Fosmon Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter Cable for my late 2013 iMac. I game on it by using bootcamp with Windows 10. What's the best setup for comfy couch gaming? If I just mirror my 1440p iMac to my 1080p HDMI tv, will games performance significantly drop?

Edit: shit, just realized this thread is from 2015

Top Bottom