• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comfy Couch PC Gaming Thread | Cheap streaming is now here

Naminator

Banned
Holy shit this Mi Box mini from Xiaomi is miniature.

http://en.miui.com/thread-77289-1-1.html

Mi Box mini - an impossibly small set-up box for ¥199 ( around32$) that’s 1/4 the size of Mi Box and fits like a power adapter. It packs a punch with
  • Cortex-A7 quad-core 1.3GHz
  • 1GB RAM,
  • 4GB Flash.
  • 1080P resolution,
  • Dolby,
  • DTS audio
  • dual band Wi-Fi 802.11n

1908105_827435620625366_6933082361160330817_n.png

10603547_827435633958698_357598276335531728_n.png
I need to that fucking thing in my life!

Like right now!

Ark

I don't understand any of this at all, so I'd appreciate it if someone could help me out a little (dumb question inbound) :p. If I want to stream Steam & Origin games from my computer upstairs to the living room TV downstairs, in 1080p and 60fps, would the Pipo X7/Mi Box things suffice? Baring in mind my internet connection is about 5mpb/s down and 0.5 mbp/s up?

If you own a laptop and a desktop Steam In Home Streaming is fantastic. I've used it a few times and it's really great. I've enjoyed it quite a bit.

Hasney

I don't understand any of this at all, so I'd appreciate it if someone could help me out a little (dumb question inbound) :p. If I want to stream Steam & Origin games from my computer upstairs to the living room TV downstairs, in 1080p and 60fps, would the Pipo X7/Mi Box things suffice? Baring in mind my internet connection is about 5mpb/s down and 0.5 mbp/s up?

It should be, butit mostly depends on your home netwwork. For instance, I can't get it running at 1080p/60 over N wireless, but some people have reported success. My setup needs at least AC, but I use a wired connection now.

twdnewh_k

How powerful does the host PC have to be ideally to stream 1080p60 at say, very high settings? Is it more CPU or GPU dependent?

I ask because my host is an i7 930, 6gb ram, gtx 680.
I had to lower settings to med/high on Bioshock Infinite to get it running 1080p at 40sh fps, but even that is not stable with drops sometimes going below 30. I am on a gigabit LAN.

Hasney

How powerful does the host PC have to be ideally to stream 1080p60 at say, very high settings? Is it more CPU or GPU dependent?

I ask because my host is an i7 930, 6gb ram, gtx 680.
I had to lower settings to med/high on Bioshock Infinite to get it running 1080p at 40sh fps, but even that is not stable with drops sometimes going below 30. I am on a gigabit LAN.

Did you try playing it on the host machine? I know Bioshock had weird frame drops when I played it not over streaming. Usually, I don't have to change any settings. if it works on the host without streaming, performance is about the same while streaming. This is on a 2500k GTX 560ti setup.

twdnewh_k

Did you try playing it on the host machine? I know Bioshock had weird frame drops when I played it not over streaming. Usually, I don't have to change any settings. if it works on the host without streaming, performance is about the same while streaming. This is on a 2500k GTX 560ti setup.

My host machine eats it alive. Almost maxed at 1080p. I get 70sh fps+. Drops sometimes, but even then I have not had it go below 55 or so.

Hasney

My host machine eats it alive. Almost maxed at 1080p. I get 70sh fps+. Drops sometimes, but even then I have not had it go below 55 or so.

Odd. Is there any Steam streaming error message like "slow encode" or "slow decode" going on?

EDIT: had a look around and a lot of people mentioned this happening specifically with streaming Bioshock Infinite.

twdnewh_k

Odd. Is there any Steam streaming error message like "slow encode" or "slow decode" going on?

EDIT: had a look around and a lot of people mentioned this happening specifically with streaming Bioshock Infinite.

No error messages. Like you said, might be a specific issue with Bioshock. It's still very playable and I am enjoying playing it on the big screen.

Thanks btw.

I ended up saying nope for getting an X51 and adding a GPU.

Instead, I've already have started buying components for my first build ever. Should be fun ... (this is going to suck for me, won't it?)

I'm doing the same, looked at every pre-built SFF around and came to the conclusion that, fear or no fear, building my own is the best way forward. Should take me 6 months to scrape the cash together but I'm grabbing the cheaper accessories and steam deals in the meantime.

I...am....scared.

wilflare

hmm would a wired 10/100 connection be better than wireless?
seems like my Amazon FireTV does not have gigabit ethernet

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm still setting things up within the software (only had time to install it yesterday), but Kodi combined with the paid version of Unified Remote is an absolutely based combo for a media center. Thanks to hepburn3d and Beardz for both suggestions in the thread. I'm working on a new setup that includes a home theater and new furniture, and these applications are helping in making everything sleeker and more practical.

Hasney

hmm would a wired 10/100 connection be better than wireless?
seems like my Amazon FireTV does not have gigabit ethernet

Yes, on full duplex unless you have 802.11ac router (think Fire TV has ac support).

Wireless 802.11n is really dependant on individual enviroments, so it's worth trying but if that fails, wire it in. My laptop only has 100mbit ethernet and it's fine.

I know I'm chiming in late however that i3-4330 (2 cores/2 threads) will be just fine. I ran the same CPU in my HTPC / Steam Box until I felt the urge to upgrade. Was able to play all games at an acceptable level, including The Evil Within.

wilflare

Yes, on full duplex unless you have 802.11ac router (think Fire TV has ac support).

Wireless 802.11n is really dependant on individual enviroments, so it's worth trying but if that fails, wire it in. My laptop only has 100mbit ethernet and it's fine.

hmm I do have a Wireless AC router (it's the Asus AC68U)
but just wondering if a wired ethernet would be faster... was rather disappointed to find out that the FireTV and my TV do not have Gigabit Ethernet :/

Kalamari

That Roccat Sova looks like the bees knees. I am honestly a little surprised at the lack of ingenuity in the area a couch PC gaming, why hasn't anyone designed a lapdesk with a slot for a keyboard and sufficient area for mouse on the side? It could use an existing keyboard which allows it to be pretty cheaply manufactured. Bam! Instant profit! You could probably even make one with a few hours of work if you had access to the proper woodcutting tools.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
If anyone is looking for just a remote app for android to control your xbmc/kodi htpc look no further than this Yatse xbmc/kodi remote. It is hands down my favorite remote app, works fantastic, I highly recommend this.
Kind of related, but I tried the official app on iOS and for some reason it crashed Kodi twice while I was using it to jump to different parts of videos. Maybe it had something to do with my connections, not sure. I was going to buy the full version of Unified Remote regardless since I need it for other remotes, just mentioning it in case someone else faces the same kind of thing with the official one.

Xeroblade

Kind of related, but I tried the official app on iOS and for some reason it crashed Kodi twice while I was using it to jump to different parts of videos. Maybe it had something to do with my connections, not sure. I was going to buy the full version of Unified Remote regardless since I need it for other remotes, just mentioning it in case someone else faces the same kind of thing with the official one.

Yeah, the official one for iOS was buggy for me too. I never thought to use UR for kodi, but i still like the flashiness of Yatse.

Donos

I know I'm chiming in late however that i3-4330 (2 cores/2 threads) will be just fine. I ran the same CPU in my HTPC / Steam Box until I felt the urge to upgrade. Was able to play all games at an acceptable level, including The Evil Within.

Thanks. One ebay seller has an i5-4460 boxed for only 30 € more than the i3. Since i'm going to drop the SSHD and use my SSD, this is a good trade. Also going with the stronger GPU card for 30 € more.

But i have to postpone buying everything since my gf wants to book vacations -_-. Going to buy the first parts starting february. Although i still would also like a PS4 for some exclusives, i can't wait for my first proper PC.

That Roccat Sova looks like the bees knees. I am honestly a little surprised at the lack of ingenuity in the area a couch PC gaming, why hasn't anyone designed a lapdesk with a slot for a keyboard and sufficient area for mouse on the side? It could use an existing keyboard which allows it to be pretty cheaply manufactured. Bam! Instant profit! You could probably even make one with a few hours of work if you had access to the proper woodcutting tools.
HTPCs are nothing new so i'm likewise suprised about the few offerings regarding couch pc gaming "boards" so far.

If anyone is looking for just a remote app for android to control your xbmc/kodi htpc look no further than this Yatse xbmc/kodi remote. It is hands down my favorite remote app, works fantastic, I highly recommend this.
Took a bit to figure out manual set-up (use settings info for IP and webhosting settings for port), but man is it awesome now.
Watching my content is super simple now.

absolutely, I've had the same thought so many times

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

HTPCs are nothing new so i'm likewise suprised about the few offerings regarding couch pc gaming "boards" so far.

absolutely, I've had the same thought so many times

I guess that PC hardware manufacturers stayed far and away from making lapboards (any kind of them) because of the Phantom Lapboard and how PC gamers ignored and hated it. Phantom Lapboard was the first lapboard on the market and its issues (the 2m dongle signal, position, price, the keys quality) were very toxic to the idea and the concept and made the like of Razer, Roccat, Logitech just not interest on making anything like it or even anything in the same concept as lapboard add-on for their own already on the market keyboards.

Yup. Using this for over a month with my big rig. Almost perfect couch PC gaming :)

Some extra stuff that i use:
Launching explorer straight from big picture using .bat file(this way your online status will change for only a second till .bat file will close itself) .
To add bat files to your steam library you need to add random .exe or .lnk file first then change its name, "target" and "start in" directory to your .bat file name and working directory!

Examples:

Steam properties ( Target: "C:\Fixes\explorer.bat", Start in: "C:\Fixes\" )

Start Windows Explorer:
Code:
@echo off
cd "C:\Windows\"
start explorer.exe
exit
Kill Windows Explorer( shutdown explorer from big picture, though all programs that were launched with it will still stay in memory ):
Code:
@echo off
taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe
exit
TV_RefreshRate_FIX( MGR: Revengeance i am looking at you ) - http://sourceforge.net/projects/forcefix/ with set option to launch minimized( create link to executable-> right click->window->minimized-> apply ). Launch before launching game with 24hz issue:
Code:
@echo off
cd "C:\FIXES\"
start ForceFix.lnk
exit

Might want to add this - https://nirklars.wordpress.com/xboxmouse/ to your autostart list (loads after launching explorer.exe), this way i am able to control regular windows interface without touching mouse. Add XBMC link in you your steam library and you almost set.
Have problems with 3D content playback. XBMC launching all 3D movies in 2D mode and not figured out yet how to auto start third party media player in this case.

Thank you so much for this info.

I have another question that maybe you can resolve, when you open Explorer from inside Steam, it opens "behind" steam, and I cant get to it until I kill Steam Big Picture.

Do you know enough .bat-fu to make it switch focus to the windows desktop?

Shaneus

Might want to add this - https://nirklars.wordpress.com/xboxmouse/ to your autostart list (loads after launching explorer.exe), this way i am able to control regular windows interface without touching mouse. Add XBMC link in you your steam library and you almost set.
Have problems with 3D content playback. XBMC launching all 3D movies in 2D mode and not figured out yet how to auto start third party media player in this case.
Thanks for everything in this post, but most of all the above. Been looking for something similar, but that might just about take care of it. I fucking hate the "mouse" on the Logitech keyboard.

Xeroblade

So here is an update on what I am currently running. I have a Acer Aspire Revo as my htpc. I had it running a special version of XBMCubuntu. I enjoyed it but i couldnt do anything with it (like emulators, Steam). Over the weekend I decided to install Windows 7 on it instead. I installed Kodi and then steam. In-home Streaming with Steam is the way to go. I still have a some tweaking to do since its only running at 1280x720p 60fps. There is very very little input lag if some at all. I tested what i currently have installed. Dragon Age Inquisition, Shovel Knight, Diablo 3 and a few others. It streamed them with no hiccups whatsoever. I was really surprised this close to 5 years old pc handles all my media extremely well.

I also tried Limelight for windows. It cant even compete with what In-home streaming with Steam can do.

Backlogger

I have ordered this instead as it runs at 2.16Ghz::

You can get this device for around £60/$90 at gearbest with this code: PX7CN

Seems as if the price has changed on this. I was on the fence about it and decided to give it a go but the promo code actually increases the price to $108. I chatted with a rep and they said that the promo code affects the base price, which sorta made sense because I remember the base price being around $170 yesterday and now its around $280.

I guess maybe for $12 more I shouldn't be too upset but $90 felt right especially for something I wasn't 100% sure was going to be a good Steam streaming device.

reKon

Banned
When my PC build is done, I'm going to want to use Plex, Emulators (Dolphin, N64&SNES emulators), Steam, and have access to Windows 8.1

Any suggestions on how to setup a clean interface that will be able to give me quick access to all of these when booting the PC? Or is it better to just load Windows 8.1 directly and customize it so that there are short cuts to Plex, emulators, Youtube, browsers, etc.

Shaneus

Anyone have any tips/pointers on whether it's better to run Windows 7 or 8 for a HTPC? I'm currently rocking 8.1, but I suspect 7 may allow for things to run a little more smoothly and with less overhead.

So here is an update on what I am currently running. I have a Acer Aspire Revo as my htpc. I had it running a special version of XBMCubuntu. I enjoyed it but i couldnt do anything with it (like emulators, Steam). Over the weekend I decided to install Windows 7 on it instead. I installed Kodi and then steam. In-home Streaming with Steam is the way to go. I still have a some tweaking to do since its only running at 1280x720p 60fps. There is very very little input lag if some at all. I tested what i currently have installed. Dragon Age Inquisition, Shovel Knight, Diablo 3 and a few others. It streamed them with no hiccups whatsoever. I was really surprised this close to 5 years old pc handles all my media extremely well.

I also tried Limelight for windows. It cant even compete with what In-home streaming with Steam can do.
It's not so much the computer as a whole, but the integrated video that does almost all the musclework when watching video. I think yours has this in it, which would explain why it's handling things so easily.

hepburn3d

When my PC build is done, I'm going to want to use Plex, Emulators (Dolphin, N64&SNES emulators), Steam, and have access to Windows 8.1

Any suggestions on how to setup a clean interface that will be able to give me quick access to all of these when booting the PC? Or is it better to just load Windows 8.1 directly and customize it so that there are short cuts to Plex, emulators, Youtube, browsers, etc.

Your options:

Force windows 8.1 to boot to desktop, then set steam to auto launch on Start up in BP mode and add your Dolphin games as Shortcuts to Dolphin with a command line argument of the game. Then make custom banners for them or find some, there are loads.

Force windows 8.1 to boot to desktop, set up XMBC to launch on Start up and have steam games + dolphin games as shortcuts in a game folder

Install xbox controller for windows 8.1 and make shortcuts on the Start Menu of everything you want.

I go with option 1. Sits on the desktop for about 1/2 seconds before Steam boots so I use a solid black theme, no transparency and this is as background image.

valve-logo_wallpapers_34927_852x480.jpg

I've tried auto hiding the task bar but this doesn't seem to work unless there is some sort of micro mouse movement on the desktop on start up (Grrrrr!)

Now once you're into controller emulated games to the real fun begins :) I use to love consoles for the plug and play but a TV PC is so much more rewarding (to me) once you've got it all set up exactly as you want it.

reKon

Banned
Your options:

Force windows 8.1 to boot to desktop, then set steam to auto launch on Start up in BP mode and add your Dolphin games as Shortcuts to Dolphin with a command line argument of the game. Then make custom banners for them or find some, there are loads.

Force windows 8.1 to boot to desktop, set up XMBC to launch on Start up and have steam games + dolphin games as shortcuts in a game folder

Install xbox controller for windows 8.1 and make shortcuts on the Start Menu of everything you want.

I go with option 1. Sits on the desktop for about 1/2 seconds before Steam boots so I use a solid black theme, no transparency and this is as background image.

valve-logo_wallpapers_34927_852x480.jpg

I've tried auto hiding the task bar but this doesn't seem to work unless there is some sort of micro mouse movement on the desktop on start up (Grrrrr!)

Now once you're into controller emulated games to the real fun begins :) I use to love consoles for the plug and play but a TV PC is so much more rewarding (to me) once you've got it all set up exactly as you want it.

Thanks. I'll have to find a guide for #1 as I have not used big picture mode before.

Sometimes the easiest solutions end up being the best. I posted a few days ago about streaming from my desktop to my TV in another room and wondering whether I should go with the Nvidia Shield or with one of the smaller PCs in the OP. I ended up going with a 40ft HDMI cable and hook it up whenever I want to play on my TV instead of my monitor. It's not the most elegant solution but it works really well.

Xeroblade

Sometimes the easiest solutions end up being the best. I posted a few days ago about streaming from my desktop to my TV in another room and wondering whether I should go with the Nvidia Shield or with one of the smaller PCs in the OP. I ended up going with a 40ft HDMI cable and hook it up whenever I want to play on my TV instead of my monitor. It's not the most elegant solution but it works really well.

What hardware do you use to play then if its in the other room? wireless controller/wireless kb/m?

What hardware do you use to play then if its in the other room? wireless controller/wireless kb/m?

I use my DualShock 4 through Bluetooth. Since I can use the trackpad on the DS4, I don't have to worry about using a wireless KB/M. I just launch Steam Big Picture Mode and play. I've been looking into possibly getting a new bluetooth adapter since I've noticed the connection can get kind of spotty at times.

Nzyme32

Not tried it my self but there is Emulation Station, which is apparently pretty awesome
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963169&highlight=emulation+station

http://www.emulationstation.org/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVQVmsFOclM

6mlCYT1.png

VhzW5o3.jpg

Backlogger

Did anyone who ordered the Pipo X7 and received it already have any feedback on using it for Steam In-Home Streaming? Looking for feedback on how well it works over WiFi and/or wired connection.

dmix90

Thank you so much for this info.

I have another question that maybe you can resolve, when you open Explorer from inside Steam, it opens "behind" steam, and I cant get to it until I kill Steam Big Picture.

Do you know enough .bat-fu to make it switch focus to the windows desktop?
Yup thats a pain. Only thing i found is /B and /MAX commands.What i was able to do is show explorer window on top of steam big picture. Seems like it has keyboard focus, but gamepad is still focused on big picture. To do this you just need to launch explorer twice or update .bat file ->

Code:
@echo off
start /B /MAX explorer.exe
sleep 200
exit

Other thing that can be done is close bp with a script then start explorer after that it should be a pain-free xboxmouse navigation. Should be easy to do( .bat file -> launch script file which executes hotkey command(alt + f4 closes bp, but steam client remains opened) or closes steam bp process(havent found this specific process :( ) -> launch explorer - > sleep -> launch explorer). Havent messed with scripting yet, but i probably should :)

EDIT: Oh..... if script will launch alt+f4 then it probably will close command prompt window instead of bp overlay..... #logic :-(

kikonawa

Did anyone who ordered the Pipo X7 and received it already have any feedback on using it for Steam In-Home Streaming? Looking for feedback on how well it works over WiFi and/or wired connection.
Still waiting for it to arrive. Will take another weel i guess

Xeroblade

I dived into this on my main pc, its lovely. Over the weekend I installed Rom Collection Browser on Kodi using retroarch. I thought of using this but I didnt want another program to exit and then launch, when I can add emulation to kodi and then switch to steam streaming. I will say though that RCB is kind of a pain to setup.

Been using the Mayflash Dolphin Bar and Wiimote for navigating my HTPC, here's a video of a fellow gaffer demonstrating how it works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46fKziFkuGM

Really great, makes browsing from the couch a breeze! (and emulation in Dolphin a hell of alot easier)

This looks awesome, I think I might commit one of my Wiimotes to this, how hard is it to set up? (just the mouse movement part for Windows 8 metro)

Does the DolphinBar connect via USB to the computer for power? And would its BT interfere with a Wireless DS3?

Yup thats a pain. Only thing i found is /B and /MAX commands.What i was able to do is show explorer window on top of steam big picture. Seems like it has keyboard focus, but gamepad is still focused on big picture. To do this you just need to launch explorer twice or update .bat file ->

Code:
@echo off
sleep 200
exit

Other thing that can be done is close bp with a script then start explorer after that it should be a pain-free xboxmouse navigation. Should be easy to do( .bat file -> launch script file which executes hotkey command(alt + f4 closes bp, but steam client remains opened) or closes steam bp process(havent found this specific process :( ) -> launch explorer - > sleep -> launch explorer). Havent messed with scripting yet, but i probably should :)

EDIT: Oh..... if script will launch alt+f4 then it probably will close command prompt window instead of bp overlay..... #logic :-(

Thanks for those tips, I might try that, I really dont mind killing steam when I want to have Explorer desktop back.

Top Bottom