• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comfy Couch PC Gaming Thread | Cheap streaming is now here

I dived into this on my main pc, its lovely. Over the weekend I installed Rom Collection Browser on Kodi using retroarch. I thought of using this but I didnt want another program to exit and then launch, when I can add emulation to kodi and then switch to steam streaming. I will say though that RCB is kind of a pain to setup.
I want to purchase just a pure gaming PC for my TV, so I may use it in that case.
I like my super tower and all, but nothing beats gaming on a couch.

Backlogger

Here is a review video for the zotac zbox which has very similar if not the exact same specs as the Pipo X7. The Pipo seems Better due to the front USB for wired gamepads, but what I liked about this video was his Steam In-home Streaming review. It starts at the 4:20ish mark. He said he felt that the frames dropped too much, but he was streaming at 1080p and the frames seemed to stay between 50-60 playing Tomb Raider 2013, which seemed great to me. I'm going to assume this was a wired network.

http://youtu.be/het4Lk1xHIQ

Here is a review video for the zotac zbox which has very similar if not the exact same specs as the Pipo X7. The Pipo seems Better due to the front USB for wired gamepads, but what I liked about this video was his Steam In-home Streaming review. It starts at the 4:20ish mark. He said he felt that the frames dropped too much, but he was streaming at 1080p and the frames seemed to stay between 50-60 playing Tomb Raider 2013, which seemed great to me. I'm going to assume this was a wired network.

http://youtu.be/het4Lk1xHIQ

Too bad, I was really eyeing the Pipo or this Zotac for Netflix HD and Steam Streaming, we are so close to getting there, I wonder how it does at 720p @60fps over Wireless N.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have a linx tablet and was trying to register for the free year of office 365. But I already have an office 365 subscription and stupidly the setup guide is telling me to go to my account, remove anyone I'm sharing with and uninstall office from all except 1 PC, because the license with the tablet is only for 1 device.

Is there no way to get the free years 365 and be signed in with my normal MS account?

zebwinz

I have a linx tablet and was trying to register for the free year of office 365. But I already have an office 365 subscription and stupidly the setup guide is telling me to go to my account, remove anyone I'm sharing with and uninstall office from all except 1 PC, because the license with the tablet is only for 1 device.

Is there no way to get the free years 365 and be signed in with my normal MS account?

Have you tried logging in at office.live.com and going to your account? Down near the bottom is a choice to enter office product keys. The free year should just add on and extend your existing subscription.

Now, if it's only Office 365 personal, and you have it tied to another PC (the linx is considered a full PC i'm guessing since it's running full Windows 8.1) then you'd have to unlink the other PC or just use the web apps. Or you could upgrade to Office Home and get a couple more PC licenses that way. Here's an article about upgrading for only $10
https://www.thurrott.com/cloud/office-365/847/tip-convert-office-365-personal-office-365-home-just-9-99

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah I tried adding it, and it complains that it doesnt stack on office home. Will check that upgrade option, that'd be fine for me thanks.

Edit: hmm that still requires the tablet to be on a different MS account though..

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just bought a 64GB micro SD card so I can install a few games locally on my tablet.

What is the best option for a controller? Would need to be wireless because I may need the USB socket free for charging it. PS3 or PS4 controller? I have a spare Dualshock 3 so that would be ideal if both are similarly usable.

I just bought a 64GB micro SD card so I can install a few games locally on my tablet.

What is the best option for a controller? Would need to be wireless because I may need the USB socket free for charging it. PS3 or PS4 controller? I have a spare Dualshock 3 so that would be ideal if both are similarly usable.

Does your tablet have a bluetooth adapter that supports PS3 or 4? because thats would be the answer, I prefer the Ps4 controller since you can use the touchpad as a mouse, amazingly convenient.

kikonawa

its been 3 weeks i ordered the pipo X7.. still in backorder. I dont know if anybody else ordered one from gearbest.com

Anyone know of a good, fairly cheap and reliable way to send the video from my desktop PC to my TV in the living room without a super long hdmi cable? I am tired of unplugging my desktop and hooking it up to my TV any time I want to play a PC game from the couch. I have an HTPC out there now but just don't have the money to upgrade it yet to run newer games.

metalshade

its been 3 weeks i ordered the pipo X7.. still in backorder. I dont know if anybody else ordered one from gearbest.com

I'm in the UK, I preordered a black one with a UK plug. I was charged, then heard nothing for ages, so I contacted them and asked what was going on, and they said they were out of stock. They wont give me a delivery/restock estimate.

kikonawa

just received a reply to my email.
they said its high in demand and get low stock from factory. aparantly a new batch is arriving the 5th .They didnt know my order was on the list (aparantly they go by first come first served) anyway i ordered a grey one (ordered too fast lol)

waiting.....

metalhead79

Neo Member
Anyone know of a good, fairly cheap and reliable way to send the video from my desktop PC to my TV in the living room without a super long hdmi cable? I am tired of unplugging my desktop and hooking it up to my TV any time I want to play a PC game from the couch. I have an HTPC out there now but just don't have the money to upgrade it yet to run newer games.

Steam In-Home Streaming.

Backlogger

I'm in the UK, I preordered a black one with a UK plug. I was charged, then heard nothing for ages, so I contacted them and asked what was going on, and they said they were out of stock. They wont give me a delivery/restock estimate.

Wow, that sucks. I almost ordered one from them or Geekbuying, but ended up holding off due to lack of available reviews relating to Steam In-Home Streaming.

Hopefully you guys get an update soon.

reKon

Banned

Plex?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does your tablet have a bluetooth adapter that supports PS3 or 4? because thats would be the answer, I prefer the Ps4 controller since you can use the touchpad as a mouse, amazingly convenient.

Yeah, using DS4Windows which seems ok, but it is an expensive solution - a DS4 is almost as expensive as the tablet was!

kikonawa

Wow, that sucks. I almost ordered one from them or Geekbuying, but ended up holding off due to lack of available reviews relating to Steam In-Home Streaming.

Hopefully you guys get an update soon.
Il try to test it out. i couldnt resist with a coupon it was pnly 80euro shipped.lets hope its shipping soon

ShowDog

Add me to the list of those eager for feedback on the Pipo X7 for Steam Streaming. Hopefully you all get them soon.

Xeroblade

How powerful does the receiving box need to be to stream well?(1080p + 60fps from a i7+gtx980 host PC)

I tried my MacPro Retina and it worked great, but wondering if something like this-

Zotac Zbox -
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M2UKY1Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Is it powerful enough to run Steam and stream at a high quality?

That Zbox will be able to handle a 1080p h.264 stream pretty well. at 60fps i am not sure, I am assuming so because of the 1ghz intel hd gpu, plus it also depends on what game you are trying to stream. My testings were 2 Lego games which both ran at 1080p 60fps just fine. But when I switched to DA: Inquisition, I had to the stream at 720p 60 fps. I can only handle 1080p at 30fps via streaming. I also have a less powerful setup than the Zbox. Hope this helps.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Well I have tried everything I can think of to get Steam Stream working. It worked once many months ago, but since then, never again.

Client cannot see host, no matter what I do lol. Host shows client as "not connected".

Tried wired, wireless, with and without firewall on/off (even cleared all steam clients on my firewall), clients are the same, windows version is the same.

Tried all kinds of gimmicky fixes I found online like being in big picture, simultaneous settings, etc.

Nothing worked.

No streaming for me it seems!

I have two questions for Comfy Couch GAF ...

Preamble:

I have a very rustic setup, involving a gaming laptop which shuttles between a space under the TV and a table upstairs, depending on the type of game, or whether we are watching some content from a WD Elements hard drive also under the TV.

It works fine and I'm not investing in anything funkier for at least another year (but I'd like a kickass rig with a lil HTPC under the TV etc).

Questions:

1. I recently bought all the Hitman games in a sale, and was a bit dismayed to find no native pad support in Blood Money or Contracts. I was wondering if anyone here has experience of setting up xpadder to get these games off the desk upstairs and under the TV where they belong? Or any faster, better solution? I can probably bash away at it myself but I haven't done it before and would prefer the advice and expertise of someone who has.

2. Can anyone comment on the status of USB3 as a technology that simply does not work, at all? This is in relation to my 3TB WD Elements drive. It has never remained connected to the USB3 ports on my laptop for more than about a minute, and Google seems to suggest that this is not just a common problem, but an utterly universal one. I'm sure that can't be completely true, but ... What is the experience of posters in this thread with USB3? And did anyone here ever manage to overcome the same situation?

Lettuce

Has no one mentioned the Gigabyte Brix range of devices yet?, range from 1.8ghz celeron's up to 3ghz Intel i7's and are tiny to boot

heringer

What's the best streaming solution to an Android device, similar to what nVidia Shield does? I tried the Kino console app, it works surprisingly well but the framerate is lower (caps at 24-30 ish if my eyes are well trained) and the resolution is low.

LilJoka

I have two questions for Comfy Couch GAF ...

Preamble:

I have a very rustic setup, involving a gaming laptop which shuttles between a space under the TV and a table upstairs, depending on the type of game, or whether we are watching some content from a WD Elements hard drive also under the TV.

It works fine and I'm not investing in anything funkier for at least another year (but I'd like a kickass rig with a lil HTPC under the TV etc).

Questions:

1. I recently bought all the Hitman games in a sale, and was a bit dismayed to find no native pad support in Blood Money or Contracts. I was wondering if anyone here has experience of setting up xpadder to get these games off the desk upstairs and under the TV where they belong? Or any faster, better solution? I can probably bash away at it myself but I haven't done it before and would prefer the advice and expertise of someone who has.

2. Can anyone comment on the status of USB3 as a technology that simply does not work, at all? This is in relation to my 3TB WD Elements drive. It has never remained connected to the USB3 ports on my laptop for more than about a minute, and Google seems to suggest that this is not just a common problem, but an utterly universal one. I'm sure that can't be completely true, but ... What is the experience of posters in this thread with USB3? And did anyone here ever manage to overcome the same situation?

No problem with USB 3 on my z77 or x79 motherboards using a Zalman Virtual drive enclosure. Transferred many 100s of GB even running virtual machines off it for many hours continuously.

dex3108

What's the best streaming solution to an Android device, similar to what nVidia Shield does? I tried the Kino console app, it works surprisingly well but the framerate is lower (caps at 24-30 ish if my eyes are well trained) and the resolution is low.

If you have nVidia card Limelight is right choice.

LilJoka

Thanks! Indeed it works better than Kino, but there's a little bit of lag (50-70 ms). Is that normal? Any way to reduce it? Can I set the resolution lower than 720p?

I believe you can use whatever you want with these flags

-width <width> Horizontal resolution (default 1280)
-height <height> Vertical resolution (default 720)
-30fps Use 30fps
-60fps Use 60fps (default)

For example 480p @ 30fps the command looks like

java -jar limelight.jar -width 640 -height 480 -30fps

kikonawa

Just a heads up. My pipo x7 (who the hell invents those names lol) shipped yesterday finally... awaiting with mucho anticipation

First thing i will do is modding some heatsink .looks like those atom cpus throttle down from 1.8ghz to 0.5ghs when overheat

MRORANGE

Just a heads up. My pipo x7 (who the hell invents those names lol) shipped yesterday finally... awaiting with mucho anticipation

First thing i will do is modding some heatsink .looks like those atom cpus throttle down from 1.8ghz to 0.5ghs when overheat

Mine is still processing at GearBest, hopefully its soon.

reKon

Banned
Maybe someone already talked about this, but here it goes anyway.

I control my PC with my phone with this thing:

Unified Remote

2cTEXAS.png

http://www.unifiedremote.com

It has shortcuts for everything, turn on, off the PC, volume, media center, etc. with the paid version you can customize shortcuts and even create voice commands.

This is truly god like for me right now. The touchscreen on my Xperia Z3 Compact feels so much smooth and responsive... Also making posts with the Google keyboard is pretty quick and awesome with the autocorrect implemented lol

edit: and a shit load of remotes for like any app while still being user friendly..

well worth the $4 I paid for the full app

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I have a man cave corner in our unfinished basement with my 48" TV, Ps4, XBone and Wii U and sit in a comfy recliner. Used to use the TV as my pc monitor but stopped last fall. Now I said to hell with it tonight and moved the pc downstairs and use the Logitech keyboard/trackpad combo. Gonna give it another shot.

Was thinking of setting up the 360 controller sticks to work as my mouse as an alternative but wouldn't that cause problems when I actually launch a game that requires the controller?

Lkr

any comfy couchers play kerbal? i'm wondering how it would look with all of that small text, or if there is anyway to fix that.

Backlogger

I have a man cave corner in our unfinished basement with my 48" TV, Ps4, XBone and Wii U and sit in a comfy recliner. Used to use the TV as my pc monitor but stopped last fall. Now I said to hell with it tonight and moved the pc downstairs and use the Logitech keyboard/trackpad combo. Gonna give it another shot.

Was thinking of setting up the 360 controller sticks to work as my mouse as an alternative but wouldn't that cause problems when I actually launch a game that requires the controller?

Are you familiar with xPadder? There are ways to setup a profile for Windows desktop and other basic applications that get ignored in games that don't need it.

Tyreny

Just received my pipo x7. Tonight its testing time

Aww yiss, highly anticipating your review!

If game streaming is any part of it could you disclose your setup (2.4ghz vs 5ghz, g/n/ac, single router or repeater, brand and model of router if pertinent).

Thanks!

kikonawa

Just played around a bit. i need to custom cool it asap. 15 minutes of movie watching and the cpu is allready throttling to crawlspeed. temps are around 75c

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just played around a bit. i need to custom cool it asap. 15 minutes of movie watching and the cpu is allready throttling to crawlspeed. temps are around 75c

That doesn't sound right, the integrated GPU should handle video playback without needing high CPU usage?

kikonawa

I modded my x7 . Tried inhome streaming. With 720p its quite nice. 1080p is dropping some frames. But for me its not practical because my game pc is allready in my living room
I tried this with ethernet But the pipos ethernet is only 100mbit (its actially a onboard usb to ethernet mod)
Maybe a usb to gigabit would work better (albeit capped by the usb2 spec still you would gain speed)
Il upload some pics later

Backlogger

This could be a potential game changer:

Steam Link is designed to take advantage of the PC horsepower you already have in your home, with In-Home Streaming. If you have a gaming PC and a fast home network, Steam Link may be the right choice for your living room.

Hasney

For Steam Link, has anyone seen anything about media support? If I can stream videos as well from my Windows PC straight through Steam, that would be great. It might be a dealbreaker otherwise.

I really hope Steam Link runs some kind of Android or Linux distro, even though I will buy a Steam Controller for my main machine, I dont want to buy another one dedicated to Link when I have tons of DS3s around.

I need to be able to use my DS3/4 or Xbox 360 wirelessly with it.

Nny7229

I really hope Steam Link runs some kind of Android or Linux distro, even though I will buy a Steam Controller for my main machine, I dont want to buy another one dedicated to Link when I have tons of DS3s around.

I need to be able to use my DS3/4 or Xbox 360 wirelessly with it.
Same. I love my ps4 controller and would hate to part with it.

Hasney

It'll probably run SteamOS which has DS3 & 4 support as long as you get bluetooth. 360 controllers, both wired and wireless with an adaptor work fine too.

Top Bottom