• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comfy Couch PC Gaming Thread | Cheap streaming is now here

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Does anyone use this? I boot it from Steam as a Non-Steam game under a TV category to watch videos from the PC. It works amazingly well. As it works with an xbox controller as well it makes for a great media center, although I hope steam one day do their own thing.

kodi_about.jpg

Link
This is pretty cool, I'm gonna give it a try later.

Burny

Does someone has comparison shots? My 42" TV is like 2 meters away from the couch. Not planing to play with more than 1080p.

No ccomparison shots I'm afraid. But I know for a fact that 55" at 3m is usable as PC monitor for me. You might have to squint, here and there, but you should be fine.

Shaneus

What is this about Retroplayer? Where can I find more information?
I had to have a quick look around as well, and from what I can tell it adds full integration of RetroArch (a multi-machine emulator) into XBMC. I think it only works with OpenELEC (a bootable Linux distro of XBMC) but I might be incorrect on that one.

I cottoned onto that info from here mostly. Let me know if you find anything else out!

Donos

No ccomparison shots I'm afraid. But I know for a fact that 55" at 3m is usable as PC monitor for me. You might have to squint, here and there, but you should be fine.

Thanks.

So i'm looking at around 650 - 700 € for my first PC build *gulp*

kNQVEBO.png

Mainboards needs the Wifi because PC is going to stay besides TV and the router is on the other side of the room. Could use a 10 meter lan cable but the 5 Ghz wireless mode should be enough for internet gaming (50mbit down /10mbit up).

Instead of the R9 270X i could get a R9 285 (HIS Radeon R9 285 Mini IceQ X² OC ) for around 30 € more but i also just could get the cheaper one and first work of my backlog and buy a better one in 2 years or so.

I also choose an i3 instead of an i5 (eg. i5-4460, 4x 3.20GHz), less hassle with heat and 80 € cheaper. As with the GPU, i could still upgrade this later.

Could also scratch the SSHD of the list and just use my Samsung 830 256GB SSD from my laptop and put a normal 2,5 HDD into the laptop, i still have lying around here (in a USB case).

Win 7 is pretty cheap on ebay/small ads. Have K400 for the start, a wireless M705 mouse and DS3 controller so i'm ready for comfy couch.

What do you think? (Maybe i should cross post this in the PC thread)

wilflare

no but that thing is ridiculous looking and I think will be a nightmare in the living room.

Just wait for Roccat Sova and Razer Turret later this year (Q2 for Razer)
oMPxoxS.jpg

or get a Phantom (and pray that the crappy dongle is working)

you are here Toto <3
I sure hope they are both mechanical keyboards.

the Roccat Sova looks soooo good

Xeroblade

Thanks.

So i'm looking at around 650 - 700 € for my first PC build *gulp*

kNQVEBO.png

Mainboards needs the Wifi because PC is going to stay besides TV and the router is on the other side of the room. Could use a 10 meter lan cable but the 5 Ghz wireless mode should be enough for internet gaming (50mbit down /10mbit up).

Instead of the R9 270X i could get a R9 285 (HIS Radeon R9 285 Mini IceQ X² OC ) for around 30 € more but i also just could get the cheaper one and first work of my backlog and buy a better one in 2 years or so.

I also choose an i3 instead of an i5 (eg. i5-4460, 4x 3.20GHz), less hassle with heat and 80 € cheaper. As with the GPU, i could still upgrade this later.

Could also scratch the SSHD of the list and just use my Samsung 830 256GB SSD from my laptop and put a normal 2,5 HDD into the laptop, i still have lying around here (in a USB case).

Win 7 is pretty cheap on ebay/small ads. Have K400 for the start, a wireless M705 mouse and DS3 controller so i'm ready for comfy couch.

What do you think? (Maybe i should cross post this in the PC thread)

This actually looks like a great htcp build and then some. I wouldn't change anything out to be honest, great start.

Donos

hmpf i have put in the CM 130 Case two times. Total is rather around 626. 570 € if i skip the SSHD.
Now let's see if my gf is going to kill me when i show her that...

For people that truly dont care about the windows desktop at all, this is a great little guide:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bigpicture/discussions/1/864958451556578063/

Basically it will completely disable Explorer.exe (taskbar, windows logon sound, etc) from loading when the computer turns on, it will go straight into Steam Big Picture.

I just followed it and it is SWEET. Basically after the Windows booting animation you wont see anything, just a black screen, the "updating steam" window appears and when thats done, you are into Big Picture. Bye bye Windows desktop.

Make sure you follow it correctly and maybe create yourself a store point in case you mess up, its not overly difficult.

Also, with this guide, if you decide to kill Steam, there wont be a desktop for you to go back to, you will need to press CTRL + SHIFT + ESCAPE and Press File > Run... and type Explorer.exe

Alternatively you can add explorer.exe as a Steam game and launch it that way from inside Steam Big Pic:

Sanguinjay made the following excellent suggestion to make it easier to start Explorer and access all the usual Windows stuff...

Originally posted by Sanguinjay:
when running steam in desktop mode add a non-steam shortcut that points to explorer.exe in C:\Windows and before you exit out of steam big picture remember to click that shortcut. for extra credit add a custom image to it so it looks better in big picture more.

metalhead79

Neo Member
For people that truly dont care about the windows desktop at all, this is a great little guide:

Basically it will completely disable Explorer.exe (taskbar, windows logon sound, etc) from loading when the computer turns on, it will go straight into Steam Big Picture.

I just followed it and it is SWEET. Basically after the Windows booting animation you wont see anything, just a black screen, the "updating steam" window appears and when thats done, you are into Big Picture. Bye bye Windows desktop.

Make sure you follow it correctly and maybe create yourself a store point in case you mess up, its not overly difficult.

Also, with this guide, if you decide to kill Steam, there wont be a desktop for you to go back to, you will need to press CTRL + SHIFT + ESCAPE and Press File > Run... and type Explorer.exe

Alternatively you can add explorer.exe as a Steam game and launch it that way from inside Steam Big Pic:

Dude.....

I am so doing that to my streaming client tonight.

Xeroblade

Excellent info man. This sounds great.

Shaneus

Couldn't you also just hit Windows key + E? Or is this more for people who don't want to use a keyboard at all?

What's the best way to get a Steam streaming client up and running? I was looking into SteamOS but couldn't figure out if it is ready to just throw on a random old PC like I have with linux distros. Can I just put the latest release of it on a thumb drive and install it and use it as a streaming client?

dex3108

Holy shit this Mi Box mini from Xiaomi is miniature.

http://en.miui.com/thread-77289-1-1.html

Mi Box mini - an impossibly small set-up box for ¥199 ( around32$) that&#8217;s 1/4 the size of Mi Box and fits like a power adapter. It packs a punch with
  • Cortex-A7 quad-core 1.3GHz
  • 1GB RAM,
  • 4GB Flash.
  • 1080P resolution,
  • Dolby,
  • DTS audio
  • dual band Wi-Fi 802.11n

1908105_827435620625366_6933082361160330817_n.png

10603547_827435633958698_357598276335531728_n.png

Donos

Even with blutooth remote? If this had a USB port, it would seriously kill Rasperry Pi for XBMC/Kodi use at this price. Still nice.

Lhadatt

What's the best way to get a Steam streaming client up and running? I was looking into SteamOS but couldn't figure out if it is ready to just throw on a random old PC like I have with linux distros. Can I just put the latest release of it on a thumb drive and install it and use it as a streaming client?

Yes, as long as it has UEFI BIOS and 500 GB - 1 TB free space. Something with Nvidia graphics would be a good candidate. AMD and Intel will work, but not as well as Nvidia. Try the default installation method first -- it extracts a 1 TB image to your computer using Clonezilla and can be easier to setup. Failing that, use the custom/manual install. I had more success with the default method, but the custom install may be better now.

http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/buildyourown

Yes, as long as it has UEFI BIOS and 500 GB - 1 TB free space. Something with Nvidia graphics would be a good candidate. AMD and Intel will work, but not as well as Nvidia. Try the default installation method first -- it extracts a 1 TB image to your computer using Clonezilla and can be easier to setup. Failing that, use the custom/manual install. I had more success with the default method, but the custom install may be better now.

Or he can try one of the community made installers. Stephenson's Rocket or VaporOS.

http://directhex.github.io/steamos-installer/
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/vaporos

Beardz

Maybe someone already talked about this, but here it goes anyway.

I control my PC with my phone with this thing:

Unified Remote

2cTEXAS.png

http://www.unifiedremote.com

It has shortcuts for everything, turn on, off the PC, volume, media center, etc. with the paid version you can customize shortcuts and even create voice commands.

Hasney

Unified Remote

2cTEXAS.png

It has shortcuts for everything, turn on, off the PC, volume, media center, etc. with the paid version you can customize shortcuts and even create voice commands.

Damn, works to turn it on using Wake on LAN too. Nice.

Var

I have been thinking of picking up an Amazon Fire TV to use Limelight with. Anyone here try it yet? If so, how well does it work?

tjohn86

Can anyone comment on how an i5 NUC handles streaming? I'm a little hesitant to take the plunge on one without more data.

metalhead79

Neo Member
Can anyone comment on how an i5 NUC handles streaming? I'm a little hesitant to take the plunge on one without more data.

It should be fine. My J1800 Celeron can handle 1080p60 (albeit with latency in 50's and 60's) and 720p60 with latency in the 20's.

Or he can try one of the community made installers. Stephenson's Rocket or VaporOS.

http://directhex.github.io/steamos-installer/
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/vaporos

Thanks! Unfortunately it's a bit old nettop so it doesn't have UEFI and only a 250gb hard drive. I can upgrade the hdd and I'll see if there is any options for the UEFI. It has an Nvidia ION chip in it which is great at playing back really high quality 1080p footage so it should be powerful enough to handle streaming, so I don't want it to go to waste.

Shaneus

Unified Remote

2cTEXAS.png

I was going to ditch my 4S, but I loved the physical size of it too much to get rid of it just yet. I think I may have found a reason to keep it.

Shame there's no way of integrating amplifier controls with it, but you can't have everything.

reKon

Banned
I ended up saying nope for getting an X51 and adding a GPU.

Instead, I've already have started buying components for my first build ever. Should be fun ... (this is going to suck for me, won't it?)

Donos

I ended up saying nope for getting an X51 and adding a GPU.

Instead, I've already have started buying components for my first build ever. Should be fun ... (this is going to suck for me, won't it?)

Seeing the prices of the X51 builds, you made everything right.

mr stroke

Anyone here used the 8" NVIIDA shield for streaming ?

Want to grab one to play COD AW, and Smite on the living room TV Just curious how the lag is?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

Unified Remote

2cTEXAS.png

Sweet! I kind of ditched the idea of remote control apps a while ago but none were as feature-filled as this. Thanks for posting this, I'll check it out and try it with both the phone and iPad.

Xeroblade

Anyone here used the 8" NVIIDA shield for streaming ?

Want to grab one to play COD AW, and Smite on the living room TV Just curious how the lag is?

It depends how good your internet and router are

Sweet! I kind of ditched the idea of remote control apps a while ago but none were as feature-filled as this. Thanks for posting this, I'll check it out and try it with both the phone and iPad.

You will not be disappointed, I use this on my phone to control my zune player on my pc (yes i still use zune, I hate itunes) and its wonderful.

PARANO1A

I thought I'd contribute with my thoughts as a console-only gamer for the last decade or so.

Building a system
I made a hardware thread - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=965828 and ended up going with a build pretty much identical to this one: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/hRCypg, All of the parts arrived this week and I've spent my Saturday gaming. My hardware feedback noting is:
- the fans in the build are like little typhoons. I've since ordered three of the Noctua 'silent' fans that are apparently imperceptible.
- the GTX970 I swapped was the Gainward Phantom version, which has a HDMI Mini, and not a HDMI out. This was a rude shock, not being able to plug it into my TV after assembling.

Compiling a game library
I've spend the last week or so cataloguing my 360, PS3, PS4 and X1 collections onto my Steam wishlist, and have linked it to an account I created at isthereanydeal.com . This site is pure gold, sending emails when you're waiting for games are on sale. Within the first week, I've managed to grab dozens of games for <$10, often far less.

In addition, being a regular Humble Bundle shopper, I've already got a large library of games waiting for me - around 400 just from buying bundles for a couple of bucks here and there whenever a single game I want is available.

The software side
It's fair to say that Steam's BPM makes life as a couch PC gamer possible. Even then, it's often fiddly and/or impossible without a KB/M to deal with windows stealing focus or games needing admin permission to do post-install actions.

A surprising amount of games have some level of functionality with just a controller - even games dating back a while such as Psychonauts and Mirror's Edge. I've been a little disappointed that games I assumed would just work - ones I've already played on 360 - have had controller support cut. Mass Effect is particularly frustrating. It's a bit of a mixed bag.

Lastly - fiddling with the PC has been made much easier with the installation of Chrome Remote Desktop.

The games
Games look so much better that I've seen in years - I'm so happy with the decision to invest into a permanent library that I'll have forever, rather to store mountains of disks and keep piles of machines hooked up to the TV. Alien Isolation in particular has just made me feel like this is the generational leap the consoles failed to make.

What's surprised me most are the low-cost / good value games that have gone under my radar over the last 12 months that have been PC exclusive. I've made minor inroads into The Talos Principal, Jazzpunk and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, with a good sized backlog for a while to come. It feels like PC gaming has the true 'underground' revolution that felt so exciting when games like Braid were first launching. This might not be news to many of you, but as someone that renounced the desktop a long time ago, I'm excited about gaming for the first time in quite a while.

kikonawa

other cheap sticks anybody uses? i want to replace my wdtv media player
sub 100&#8364; would be ideal

that PIPO X7 looks intresting, together with KODI(xbmc) maybe?

dmix90

Yup. Using this for over a month with my big rig. Almost perfect couch PC gaming :)

Some extra stuff that i use:
Launching explorer straight from big picture using .bat file(this way your online status will change for only a second till .bat file will close itself) .
To add bat files to your steam library you need to add random .exe or .lnk file first then change its name, "target" and "start in" directory to your .bat file name and working directory!

Examples:

Steam properties ( Target: "C:\Fixes\explorer.bat", Start in: "C:\Fixes\" )

Start Windows Explorer:
Code:
@echo off
cd "C:\Windows\"
start explorer.exe
exit
Kill Windows Explorer( shutdown explorer from big picture, though all programs that were launched with it will still stay in memory ):
Code:
@echo off
taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe
exit
TV_RefreshRate_FIX( MGR: Revengeance i am looking at you ) - http://sourceforge.net/projects/forcefix/ with set option to launch minimized( create link to executable-> right click->window->minimized-> apply ). Launch before launching game with 24hz issue:
Code:
@echo off
cd "C:\FIXES\"
start ForceFix.lnk
exit

Might want to add this - https://nirklars.wordpress.com/xboxmouse/ to your autostart list (loads after launching explorer.exe), this way i am able to control regular windows interface without touching mouse. Add XBMC link in you your steam library and you almost set.
Have problems with 3D content playback. XBMC launching all 3D movies in 2D mode and not figured out yet how to auto start third party media player in this case.

titch

I thought I'd contribute with my thoughts as a console-only gamer for the last decade or so.

This might not be news to many of you, but as someone that renounced the desktop a long time ago, I'm excited about gaming for the first time in quite a while.

Just wanted to add i quoted the start and the end as i put together a new PC on Xmas eve as i was in almost the same situation as you(bought a 360 8 years ago and dumped PC gaming as i felt i couldnt afford to sustain regular decent upgrades.

I've literally gone through the same journey as you and have got my gaming karma back!!!

reKon

Banned

Building a system
I made a hardware thread - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=965828 and ended up going with a build pretty much identical to this one: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/hRCypg, All of the parts arrived this week and I've spent my Saturday gaming. My hardware feedback noting is:
- the fans in the build are like little typhoons. I've since ordered three of the Noctua 'silent' fans that are apparently imperceptible.
- the GTX970 I swapped was the Gainward Phantom version, which has a HDMI Mini, and not a HDMI out. This was a rude shock, not being able to plug it into my TV after assembling.

Compiling a game library
I've spend the last week or so cataloguing my 360, PS3, PS4 and X1 collections onto my Steam wishlist, and have linked it to an account I created at isthereanydeal.com . This site is pure gold, sending emails when you're waiting for games are on sale. Within the first week, I've managed to grab dozens of games for <$10, often far less.

In addition, being a regular Humble Bundle shopper, I've already got a large library of games waiting for me - around 400 just from buying bundles for a couple of bucks here and there whenever a single game I want is available.

The software side
It's fair to say that Steam's BPM makes life as a couch PC gamer possible. Even then, it's often fiddly and/or impossible without a KB/M to deal with windows stealing focus or games needing admin permission to do post-install actions.

A surprising amount of games have some level of functionality with just a controller - even games dating back a while such as Psychonauts and Mirror's Edge. I've been a little disappointed that games I assumed would just work - ones I've already played on 360 - have had controller support cut. Mass Effect is particularly frustrating. It's a bit of a mixed bag.

Lastly - fiddling with the PC has been made much easier with the installation of Chrome Remote Desktop.

The games
Games look so much better that I've seen in years - I'm so happy with the decision to invest into a permanent library that I'll have forever, rather to store mountains of disks and keep piles of machines hooked up to the TV. Alien Isolation in particular has just made me feel like this is the generational leap the consoles failed to make.

What's surprised me most are the low-cost / good value games that have gone under my radar over the last 12 months that have been PC exclusive. I've made minor inroads into The Talos Principal, Jazzpunk and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, with a good sized backlog for a while to come. It feels like PC gaming has the true 'underground' revolution that felt so exciting when games like Braid were first launching. This might not be news to many of you, but as someone that renounced the desktop a long time ago, I'm excited about gaming for the first time in quite a while.

Haha, so this was your list? I wonder how many Gaffers I've looked at then. I've been using lists like yours to determine how I'm going to handle the cooling in my system. I think I've determined that I'm going to use the Noctua L12 as the CPU cooler, take off the 120mm cooler at the top, and mount that off to the side. Then I'm going to add two of these to the fans by the GPU: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NOTVCUQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I plan on doing some OCing to my i5 4690K so hopefully this setup results in a both quiet and cool system. I was going to water cooling at first, but it seems like it will be very hard to fit everything and this is my first time building a PC.

Does your system stay cool and quiet with the cooling system that you've set up?

figured I'd post a pic from my setup. Despite my large list of complaints with the couchmaster, it has allowed me two important features: Keeping my current kb/m, and cable management (I like wired better than wireless).

pVlb.jpg

mr stroke

It depends how good your internet and router are

You will not be disappointed, I use this on my phone to control my zune player on my pc (yes i still use zune, I hate itunes) and its wonderful.

26MBS wired connection

I guess my question would be how does the streaming look(on a decent connection) with the Nvidia Shield(or any other streaming stick) blown up on a big TV 65"+

Does it look like Youtube(blocky and compressed) or is it indistinguishable from playing a console on the TV?

LilJoka

I have a neat solution for odd tasks which may need M&K such as:

Alt + Tab
Alt + Enter (Full screen a game)
Arrow keys
Enter Key - This is useful with arrow keys to end a non responsive game.
Alt + F4

I do this with a Xbox 360 Pad and XPadder.

When i click and hold the Left Analogue Stick, the Xpadder profile switches from blank to my custom profile with commands assigned to keys.

If anyone wants to try it, let me know and ill share my configuration, youll have to acquire Xpadder yourselves as its shareware.

The most Tricky one to setup was ALT+TAB, ive set this up with a custom command with custom key timings from xpadder forums to get it to work just like your keyboards.

Its really easy to get out of any sticky situations now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is it possible to stream games that support stereo 3D? I have a 3DTV in the living room but my PC monitor isn't.

PARANO1A

Haha, so this was your list? I wonder how many Gaffers I've looked at then. I've been using lists like yours to determine how I'm going to handle the cooling in my system. I think I've determined that I'm going to use the Noctua L12 as the CPU cooler, take off the 120mm cooler at the top, and mount that off to the side. Then I'm going to add two of these to the fans by the GPU: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NOTVCUQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I plan on doing some OCing to my i5 4690K so hopefully this setup results in a both quiet and cool system. I was going to water cooling at first, but it seems like it will be very hard to fit everything and this is my first time building a PC.

Does your system stay cool and quiet with the cooling system that you've set up?

That wasn't my list - I copied it with a few modifications.

I'll let you know how quiet it is once my new fans arrive. Right now the case is open and it's quieter than the Xbox One and stays nice and cool. I'm not overclocking though.

realzzz

Neo Member
I have made a Intel Pentium G3258 living room pc lately and I will be trying to stream games to it and I have a Asus RT-56U as my router for my main PC to my living room PC will I have lots of lag with this setup ? is 300mbps router enough or will I need a gigabit router ?

kikonawa

Why you use a router in house? Or is this your internet router with onboard switch? If the onboard hub is 100mbit you coule use a gigabit switch. Of you are wireles@ then i said nothing sorry :)

MRORANGE

UPDATE:

Meegopad T01 £65/$98;
LqAHo88.jpg

Windows 8.1 with Bing
32GB Onboard
Quad Core Intel Atom Baytrail 1.3Ghz
2GB RAM
USB port, uses micro USB to charge, has MMC slot

This might be a bad choice: Runs around 20% slower than it's tablet counterpart

I have ordered this instead as it runs at 2.16Ghz::

Pipo X7: £60/$90??
fkGehxR.jpg

Windows 8.1 with Bing
32GB Onboard
Quad Core Intel Atom Baytrail at 2.16Ghz???
2GB RAM
LAN PORT
4 USB port, uses micro AC to charge, has MMC slot

You can get this device for around £60/$90 at gearbest with this code: PX7CN

Top Bottom