• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comfy Couch PC Gaming Thread | Cheap streaming is now here

Hasney

the USB port on the FireTV Stick isn't a USB-OTG (you can't plug in peripherals to it) I read so you may be limited to Bluetooth only... which may be wonky at best :/

You can plug a DS3 or 4 into a PC and tell it the address of the bluetooth on the Fire stick and use Sixaxis connector (I think it's called) to pair them up. Got it on my Kindle Fire at the moment and it's flawless.

I recently moved my gaming PC from the living room to the bedroom so that I could hook it up to my 1440p monitor. Image looks superior but I still want the option to do some PC stuff on my big screen.

I'm still not sure what product to invest in but a cheap $150 mini PC seems about right for what I want to use.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I started comfy couch gaming again now that I got a new graphics card, slim 15 foot hdmi cable and a keyboard/mouse combo.

I got this

Logitech_Wireless_All-in-One_Keyboard_TK820_35826409_03.jpg

Mouse trackpad is still kind of junk, but for just needing Windows Key+P and basic mouse control for finicky games, it works. I only play with controller when playing from the couch.

First game I started was Far Cry 4.

Seanspeed

Banned
We used a wireless mouse and keyboard but would have to use the armrest as a mouse mat and have the keyboard on your lap. It works well and is pretty comfortable but obviously, you have to compromise where and how you sit and can't pass controls around easily. This is pretty much where I am hoping the steam controller can actually be good and save the day.
Yea, I've done the whole mousepad-on-the-armrest thing and it was minimally 'acceptable' at best.

Unless you only play K+M heavy games you should be able to have a nice setup in your living room without bulk.

And even then, you should almost never have to use that little remote, you can configure your living room streaming machine to boot to Steam as soon as it turns on and use a wireless Pad to navigate Steam OS. The control would only be for the Odd game that needs some configuration with a mouse or those annoying games with Windows Launchers.
Its not that I *only* play KB/M games its that its how I play *most* of my games. I do use my 360 controller every once in a while, but its not an everyday thing at all. I could use it a bit more but its hard to play a game with a controller when a KB/M simply works better.

Never say never. ;)

I solved the "keyboard on a coffee table" issue by getting this table from Ikea. Its feet fit under the couch and I can place both mouse and keyboard on it.

I didn't have a gaming PC at the desk though, so I just build one for the living room last year. No streaming, just a Lean Li PC-C60 case that is placed on the shelf under the AVR. It's somewhat audible, but quiet enough to be drowned out by the speakers while playing games. A Logitech K830 keyboard together with a Logitech "unifying" mouse have served me well so far, even though they're not the most gaming centered and therefore comfortable peripherals.
Adding a desk to the room is certainly the exact opposite of a solution to my space issue. lol

That looks like a decent option for many people, but I don't think I'd want one of those in the living room even if it was practical, quite honestly.

As Enzyme said, the Steam controller might actually be a great way to do this if it works well. Especially if it can do a half respectable job of making KB/M games playable. I'd forgotten about that. It would solve a lot of my issues(next up would be figuring out a streaming solution!).

I have a K360 Logitech wireless keyboard and it sometimes takes several seconds to respond, and this is being around 10 feet away from the computer. Does anybody have a recommendation for a wireless keyboard that seems to never have lag spikes?

wilflare

You can plug a DS3 or 4 into a PC and tell it the address of the bluetooth on the Fire stick and use Sixaxis connector (I think it's called) to pair them up. Got it on my Kindle Fire at the moment and it's flawless.

The FireTV Stick (and FireTV) detects the DS4 as a bluetooth controller (the Amazon Game controller) natively... just that the mappings are messed up (xda has that covered though)

I tried the Sixaxis app before... not too reliable... turning on the Native mod ended up making the PS Home Button the Android Home Button as well :/

Xeroblade

I've been waiting for a sub $100 steam streaming solution. I dont need a steam box or a shield with an attached screen, I just need the cheapest thing possible to stream video from my PC in my office to my living room and bedroom TVs. Would love to hear how well these things work.

If this is your case, you may want to simply buy an Amazon Fire Stick. Paired with Plex or any other media server you can stream just about any media.

I have a K360 Logitech wireless keyboard and it sometimes takes several seconds to respond, and this is being around 10 feet away from the computer. Does anybody have a recommendation for a wireless keyboard that seems to never have lag spikes?

K400 http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Multi-Touch-Touchpad/dp/B005DKZTMG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1421076950&sr=1-1&keywords=k400

Donos

Never going to play fps with controller when i don't have to. Don't get me wrong, i played over two dozen fps/tps on PS3 in high difficulties but there is always a situation where i know that i would have landed that headshot with kb/m and it feels just more natural. That are just my CS/Quake/BF genes i can't supress. Games like Arkham Asylum/City are definitely better with gamepad on PC but not fps.
And MP shooters will be my main timesink with a new comfy couch rig so i need a good wireless kb/m solution (or a KB with long cables for fps and my K400/controller for the rest) for the couch. Couch is 2,5 meters away from TV.

Also, if you are going to invest money for a wireless kb (with trackpad), take a few €/$ more before getting the K400. It's ok for the cheap price (~20€) but trackpad and mousbuttons are pretty bad (had already two of them) and it feels kind of crappy overall.
But that's just my impression.

Any other brand i should look into besides Asrock and Gigabyte for cheap/good ITX boards? Need a mainboard with 5 Ghz capable wireless since my router is not close to the TV..

wilflare

If this is your case, you may want to simply buy an Amazon Fire Stick. Paired with Plex or any other media server you can stream just about any media.

K400 http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Multi-Touch-Touchpad/dp/B005DKZTMG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1421076950&sr=1-1&keywords=k400

he'll definitely need a nVidia GPU on his host PC to get Limelight working though

I'm using the Amazon FireTV to stream now (DS4 is connected via USB) the PS Home button isn't working for me :/

Never going to play fps with controller when i don't have to. Don't get me wrong, i played over two dozen fps/tps on PS3 in high difficulties but there is always a situation where i know that i would have landed that headshot with kb/m and it feels just more natural. That are just my CS/Quake/BF genes i can't supress. Games like Arkham Asylum/City are definitely better with gamepad on PC but not fps.
And MP shooters will be my main timesink with a new comfy couch rig so i need a good wireless kb/m solution (or a KB with long cables for fps and my K400/controller for the rest) for the couch. Couch is 2,5 meters away from TV.

Also, if you are going to invest money for a wireless kb (with trackpad), take a few €/$ more before getting the K400. It's ok for the cheap price (~20€) but trackpad and mousbuttons are pretty bad (had already two of them) and it feels kind of crappy overall.
But that's just my impression.

Any other brand i should look into besides Asrock and Gigabyte for cheap/good ITX boards? Need a mainboard with 5 Ghz capable wireless since my router is not close to the TV..

I use a USB hub and a USB extension cord to power my kb/m on the couch . Had to try a few different hubs to find one that powered both. All wired for me

I pretty much only play my PC on the sofa these days since I get neck problems sitting at a desk or table whole playing.

I find a gaming laptop works best for me because it site on the shelf like a console would hooked up to the tv. I use a ps4 controller and its touch pad is great for basic mouse navigation. Then, seeing as most mouse based games (not shooters though) interfaces always seem to small for the big TV I just move the laptop to the sofa with me for those. Works a treat.

Xeroblade

he'll definitely need a nVidia GPU on his host PC to get Limelight working though

I'm using the Amazon FireTV to stream now (DS4 is connected via USB) the PS Home button isn't working for me :/

Yea he would. Have you used your FireTV for Steam streaming via Limelight? If so how well does it work? I am interested in buying that to root it for all my media needs.

I've just got a separate SteamOS partition on a 3TB hard drive with all my windows drives encrypted. Since I do all my gaming streaming now and that's what the desktop is mostly used for, I just default boot into that and I'm ready to go on both machines.

Unfortunately this is out of the question for me as my gaming stream machine is also a File server I use heavily, having to restart the computer to enter a different partition would be a bigger hassle than the login issues with Windows and Steam.

wilflare

Yea he would. Have you used your FireTV for Steam streaming via Limelight? If so how well does it work? I am interested in buying that to root it for all my media needs.

it works beautifully!
I'm using an AC68U
PC is wired to the router
FireTV is wireless on 5GHz

I'm running 1080p30fps (since the FireTV can't support 1080p60 stream, idk why) and running at the max mbit (100)

thought I had some issues initially - like color crushing... turns out it just the BPM's issue
not my picture but on the right side you can see some of that compression instead of a smooth transition http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x462/Dowly/steam_chat2.jpg

other than that, the FireTV works great. (and well that DS4 PS Home Button isn't recognized)

if you want it via Bluetooth, you need to root it - more details here, http://www.aftvnews.com/fix-ps4-dualshock-4-button-mapping-on-the-fire-tv/

computex-2014-silverstone-boitier-ftz01-rvz01-rouge-ml08-3.JPG

All of these give you a nice small form factor that frees you of having to look at a gaudy tower in your media center or man cave while allowing you to use FULL sized GPUs.

Probably going to drop down to one of these cases. Been rocking the CM Elite 130 for my HTPC / Steam box. On the side note I have to say that since building that box, maybe a year or so ago, most of my PC gaming has been done on it...well other than MMO's, FPS's and super intensive stuff. For the most part the build has handled just about anything thrown at it;

Intel i5-4670k
GTX 780 (hand me down)
16GB DDR3
1xSSD (OS), 1x 3TB game drive.

Can't wait for the Razer Turrent, I have high hopes for it.

SerTapTap

Those streaming sticks are what Steam Machines should be.Cool for people who need 'em, I use an HDMI splitter and a long cable myself. Took a bit of setup (thanks, AMD overscan defaults!) but everything's working mostly great now.

Xeroblade

it works beautifully!
I'm using an AC68U
PC is wired to the router
FireTV is wireless on 5GHz

I'm running 1080p30fps (since the FireTV can't support 1080p60 stream, idk why) and running at the max mbit (100)

thought I had some issues initially - like color crushing... turns out it just the BPM's issue
not my picture but on the right side you can see some of that compression instead of a smooth transition http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x462/Dowly/steam_chat2.jpg

other than that, the FireTV works great. (and well that DS4 PS Home Button isn't recognized)

if you want it via Bluetooth, you need to root it - more details here, http://www.aftvnews.com/fix-ps4-dualshock-4-button-mapping-on-the-fire-tv/

Nice, that actually exceeded my expectations! I will probably use either a wired/wireless 360 controller. thanks for all the info. I currently have a Nighthawk R7000, so the AFTV seems to be exactly what I am looking for. I just recently bought a Gamestick from Gamestop. Once rooted and tweaked its the best $3 i have spent!

wilflare

Nice, that actually exceeded my expectations! I will probably use either a wired/wireless 360 controller. thanks for all the info. I currently have a Nighthawk R7000, so the AFTV seems to be exactly what I am looking for. I just recently bought a Gamestick from Gamestop. Once rooted and tweaked its the best $3 i have spent!

I should really look into a Gamestick - it's only $3? what does it do exactly?

I'm looking for something that does 1080p60 hopefully - and works with the DS4 (Touchpad, Home Button, etc)

was hoping for the Raspberry Pi

if not, the Steam IHS looks really good... just hope there's an Android app or something for it already :/

Hasney

Ouch, now I'm glad they weren't available here as I may have jumped on it too quick! 60fps or death... Or turn on my PS4, whatever.

wilflare

Ouch, now I'm glad they weren't available here as I may have jumped on it too quick! 60fps or death... Or turn on my PS4, whatever.

it's weird though. My TV reads the signal from the Amazon FireTV as 1080p60 but oh well :/
720p60 might work I've read

but oh well - hope more can chime in with recommendations on 1080p60 stream machines

Soodanim

I built my first PC last year, and while it's a Define R4 case that doesn't belong in here, I do most of my gaming via controller in comfy couch mode. I need to update this post later with some links, but for now I can at least mention experiences with some hardware and software.

Wired 360 controller: obviously the standard controller, and the xinput switch has been great. Modern games are much better off for it. But the controller itself isn't my favourite (the d-pad and clicky shoulder buttons suck), so I bought a...

Mayflash Wii U Pro adapter: wonderful. Best controller, best d-pad, xinput and direct input modes. Easy set up. The 2 drawbacks are -
The stick deadzones are different, and if you jump from one to the other you'll notice (but also get used to it).
The buttons are flipped. The buttons aren't interpreted as being what is in that location, but rather what's labelled as A/B/X/Y.
There is software that you can use for both of these problems, but I'll have to find the name and link when I'm on my PC. I can say that there is one I originally used the I didn't get on with, and another one that is based on the first one but has more customisation. You can change deadzones and anti-deadzones to more closely match 360, and you can change button assignments. As an example, I'm currently playing Skyrim and while I kept A and B as their Nintendo layout, I swapped X and Y back to 360 layout.

XBstart: allows you to use a 360 controller on your Windows 8 start screen. It works quite well, and has nice features, but I've stopped using it as the option to disable the Home button bringing up the start menu when in Steam Big Picture mode doesn't always work, and while in a game I've opened the Steam overlay, but then the home button doesn't go back to game, instead bringing up the start menu and going back and forth before eventually getting back to the game. Maybe it doesn't always work because I can't get the program's "Add Steam Big Picture shortcut to start menu" option that the disable home button option is grouped with to work. Now I still have it booting to the start screen, but I use my wireless keyboard to get to the big picture shortcut (can't remember what that is right now, but it's a Steam URL you have to manually add to the start menu folder).

TVGameLauncher: A cool little program that switches your main screen and audio from one to another for you. I use it because my TV is next to my monitor, and duplicating the image ads to colour issues to I just extend and jump back and forth between screens depending on what I'm doing. It's another program I can't get to work 100% (I suspect it's to do with Windows 8.1's restrictions that I can't seem to disable), but it can also create shortcuts on the desktop for you. It's much quicker than going into the screen settings then into the audio settings each time.

Steam Big Picture: I saved the best for last. Everyone knows it, but it wasn't until I used it that I realised how bloody good it is. I adore it, and it's the sun of the comfy couch solar system. The controller shortcut for screenshot (home and right trigger) is a lovely touch.

I am interested in the keyboards with mousepads. I actually game from my bed and not a comfy couch, and my mouse doesn't much like fabrics as a base. I'm disappointed to hear that the Logitech ones aren't that high quality - I like the current wireless Logitech stuff I have. Their unified receiver is great.

SerTapTap

I think that must be the Fire TV's fault. I got In Home Streaming running at 1080/60 overwifi, was actually pretty amazing. This was to a surface pro 3. Though some games would cap to 30 FPS in the beta, dunno if that was fixed. But BL2 ran at 1080p/60 and was awesome, just a touch of compression.

Steam Big Picture: I saved the best for last. Everyone knows it, but it wasn't until I used it that I realised how bloody good it is. I adore it, and it's the sun of the comfy couch solar system. The controller shortcut for screenshot (home and right trigger) is a lovely touch.

I am interested in the keyboards with mousepads. I actually game from my bed and not a comfy couch, and my mouse doesn't much like fabrics as a base. I'm disappointed to hear that the Logitech ones aren't that high quality - I like the current wireless Logitech stuff I have. Their unified receiver is great.

Big Picture is good but hardly perfect. It breaks if you launch a fullscreen, not native res game and have multiple monitors (the window shifts X pixels to the side), it's really slow for large game collections, it's recently gotten weird and started ignoring "partial controller support" games for some reason. But I love that it's an option. I wish they'd put more effort into improving it over Steam OS/machines.

I have a Logitech Dinovo Edge and it's completely amazing EXCEPT the stupid touchpad, it's really bad. But I've never used anything I would call a good touchpad.

wilflare

I think that must be the Fire TV's fault. I got In Home Streaming running at 1080/60 overwifi, was actually pretty amazing. This was to a surface pro 3. Though some games would cap to 30 FPS in the beta, dunno if that was fixed. But BL2 ran at 1080p/60 and was awesome, just a touch of compression.

what controller are you using on the Surface Pro3
DS4Windows?

the lack of the PS Home Button support does bother me sometime :/

EDIT
by the way, does this compression only affect me (look at the right) or is it just BPM?

Maxim726X

Okay, ladies and gents... Here is the situation, what I would like to accomplish:

I would like to stream from my main PC to my Ouya (rooted, with both Splashtop and Kainy) via a powerline ethernet connection. I just moved into a new place and I haven't tested out the wired speeds yet, but I'm paying for 50/25 speeds so we'll see what happens. I do not have an NVidia card, so sadly I cannot use Limelight or the like... I'm kinda stuck with Splashtop or Kainy. I've tried Wireless with my Shield to varying degrees of success in my old place. Sometimes I'd get flawless connections, other times my games would suffer from crushing lag.

How likely is this dream of mine? Will I be able to stream without interruption from my main machine to the Ouya? Spec wise, it should be able to handle it fine. Suggestions/input? Is the experience with Limelight really that much better? If it is, I'll bite the bullet at some point and get a new video card.

b0bbyJ03

Are there any good wireless controllers out there for PC. Im using the xbox one controller with a long usb wire to the my living room PC. Kind of annoying to have to connect it every time i wanna play. Any recommnendations?

Sub-fucking-scribed! Great idea for a thread. My next PC will certainly be a Steambox-type deal so I'm very interested in the topic.

Sendou

I have AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE and GTX 560 Ti without use. I was thinking of building a HTPC and seeing how SteamOS is. I'm especially interested in Steam Controller but for now 360 controller would do. Unfortunately streaming is not very viable for me.

reKon

Banned
Because I'm a bum and don't want to do a custom build in a micro case, probably going to buy that $800 Alienware X51 that's on Amazon and upgrade the GPU down the road. Don't care about paying the premium for this because I don't have the time, experience, or patience to attempted to perfectly organize the internals in a custom PC. Wanted something console sized and the X51 fits the bill.

Right now I'm thinking about my PC accessories. The will first and foremost be a HTPC running Plex. Therefore, I think the Logitech K400 should work fine for this.

I also have a MX518 that I got on sale years ago and I really like that mouse. The issue is that it's wired and I don't want it to just go to waste... Any suggestions on a good set up for gaming with what I currently have?

For background:

On the PC, I'll probably end up playing primarily sports games (NBA 2K, RPGs, Starcraft II, and Counter-Strike/Battlefield). I'm going to be sitting 7-8 FT away from my TV, which is a Panasonic P55UT50

I have 2 PS4 controllers as well. Should I just ignore the K400 and get a good keyboard and mouse pad instead? Do I need to drop the MX518 and just find a good wireless gaming mouse?

I should really look into a Gamestick - it's only $3? what does it do exactly?

I'm looking for something that does 1080p60 hopefully - and works with the DS4 (Touchpad, Home Button, etc)
Well it is like Ouya except it is faster and can be firmware'd into running full Android.
I think it is limited to max app streaming for Remote, but it has home button/touch support. Limelight does 1080p60 though.

It is $17 and you can get a $4 dock to have 2 USB ports + SD card slot.
Honestly it is very great once you get the right settings going.

I will test out a few things with it once I get home. I got nothing else really to do anyways.

ColEx

I wish Valve would create a streaming solution, alongside their Steam Machines. Hopefully a version of the Steam Machine is a stream only device.

Xeroblade

Well it is like Ouya except it is faster and can be firmware'd into running full Android.
I think it is limited to 720p streaming for Remote (the max the app allows), but it has home button/touch support. Limelight does 1080p60 though.

I will test out a few things with it once I get home. I got nothing else really to do anyways.

Let us know how Limelight works via wifi and using the dock please. I had to buy a dock from someone and im waiting for it in the mail. I wouldnt care that it runs at 720p as long as it was playable! I will try later when i get home in about 7 hours lol.

womp

This is my new Mini ITX that sits on the floor next to the TV stand in the living room....Wii U next to it for size reference. Love it. Boots straight to Big Picture Mode in mere seconds thanks to the SSD drive. Gaming with the 360 pad. Cost me under $600 to build and is playing everything I throw at it. I'm at 83 Steam games and counting in less than two months of owning it. My 'next gen' system.

JCRRNdN76OQ5td48FMRdZ-W58SIg9wWnkDpLGhZ84WX0gbEASf6GM1EYuLGXQ4MLMjltLRhbUeA=w1303-h1851

I use this frequently. It might be a decent solution for you too.

wireless-touch-keyboard-k400r-feature-image.png

Bought one of these day one with the new PC and it works wonderfully in the minimal times I need a keyboard. When not in use I simply slide it under my feet beneath the couch and out of the way! :)

wilflare

I think it is limited to max app streaming for Remote, but it has home button/touch support. Limelight does 1080p60 though.

that's really sweet. how does the DS4 pair with it? really just need the PS Home Button, Touchpad etc to work well (did you have to use the SixAxis app or something?)

and probably just need an Ethernet port for it (works on 5GHz too?)

Xeroblade

Because I'm a bum and don't want to do a custom build in a micro case, probably going to buy that $800 Alienware X51 that's on Amazon and upgrade the GPU down the road. Don't care about paying the premium for this because I don't have the time, experience, or patience to attempted to perfectly organize the internals in a custom PC. Wanted something console sized and the X51 fits the bill.

Right now I'm thinking about my PC accessories. The will first and foremost be a HTPC running Plex. Therefore, I think the Logitech K400 should work fine for this.

I also have a MX518 that I got on sale years ago and I really like that mouse. The issue is that it's wired and I don't want it to just go to waste... Any suggestions on a good set up for gaming with what I currently have?

For background:

On the PC, I'll probably end up playing primarily sports games (NBA 2K, RPGs, Starcraft II, and Counter-Strike/Battlefield). I'm going to be sitting 7-8 FT away from my TV, which is a Panasonic P55UT50

I have 2 PS4 controllers as well. Should I just ignore the K400 and get a good keyboard and mouse pad instead? Do I need to drop the MX518 and just find a good wireless gaming mouse?

If you are doing some serious gaming form the couch using a kb/m, I would get a pretty decent wireless kb/m setup. If not the k400 will run plex/kodi just fine. IMO i would leave the games that require a kb/m to my actual pc. Though D3 would be awesome on a bigger screen.

This is my new Mini ITX that sits on the floor next to the TV stand in the living room....Wii U next to it for size reference. Love it. Boots straight to Big Picture Mode in mere seconds thanks to the SSD drive. Gaming with the 360 pad. Cost me under $600 to build and is playing everything I throw at it. I'm at 83 Steam games and counting in less than two months of owning it. My 'next gen' system.

JCRRNdN76OQ5td48FMRdZ-W58SIg9wWnkDpLGhZ84WX0gbEASf6GM1EYuLGXQ4MLMjltLRhbUeA=w1303-h1851

Bought one of these day one with the new PC and it works wonderfully in the minimal times I need a keyboard. When not in use I simply slide it under my feet beneath the couch and out of the way! :)

Care to give us your specs to that build?

that's really sweet. how does the DS4 pair with it? really just need the PS Home Button, Touchpad etc to work well (did you have to use the SixAxis app or something?)

Its not 5GHz, just 2.4 in fact the wifi sucks for some people on the little device. Thats why i bought a dock though i have yet to have any problems with my wifi after tweaking it. but i have yet to try limelight on it either. And there has to be a way to map the home button to bring up steam overlay? isnt that what you are trying to do?

Yeah, I think you need the SixAxis app since it pretty much runs pure Android.
You can map the home button to take you to the main menu and the track pad works like a mouse would.
Also, dock has Ethernet support, so that is a plus. It is really impressive little machine for $20 running emulation up to DS/PSP.

Also I am going by third-party word of mouth about Limelight since I run AMD on my machine. I am going to test out remote streaming. I just did not get it yet since I was focusing on setting up emulation.

Xeroblade

Yeah, I think you need the SixAxis app since it pretty much runs pure Android.
You can map the home button to take you to the main menu and the track pad works like a mouse would.
Also, dock has Ethernet support, so that is a plus. It is really impressive little machine for $20 running emulation up to DS/PSP.

Also I am going by third-party word of mouth about Limelight since I run AMD on my machine. I am going to test out remote streaming. I just did not get it yet since I was focusing on setting up emulation.

Doesn't having the bluetooth on affect the wifi of the Gamestick? Thats the one reason why i didnt want to use my DS4 along with it.

Hasney

I wish Valve would create a streaming solution, alongside their Steam Machines. Hopefully a version of the Steam Machine is a stream only device.

They did say when they announced it that they saw there would be 3 tiers of devices and streaming would be the bottom end of it.

Aiustis

OOh did I see ITX gaming pc as an option? I was talking to a pc gamer about that and he just laughed at me. Subbed.

I want to build an ITX pc for couch gaming with company.

Doesn't having the bluetooth on affect the wifi of the Gamestick? Thats the one reason why i didnt want to use my DS4 along with it.
I have heard some issues that having WIFI and Bluetooth on the same time may cause some controller lag. However, I think it is the same case on any Android product.
I have not had any issue on my end yet, but I think it could be a YMMV type deal. If it is like PS TV Remote Play, then you will probably not see any real issues either.

Edit: As a test I played Gitaroo-Man Lives and it got my inputs correct 100% of the time. As a remote play test, I did a rhythm game and did not have any issues.
Most remote will depend heavily on your WIFI connection and Processing power of what is hosting the stream. Stream can run relatively on low power.

They did say when they announced it that they saw there would be 3 tiers of devices and streaming would be the bottom end of it.

They didn't say that when they've announced it. Gabe talked/rambled about it during his big Verge interview which came ~9 months before the official announcements. At SDD they did say streaming only machines make a lot of sense, but due to their hands already being full those were put on the back burner.

The 3 tier "good, better, best" system was never officially announced and never came into fruition, since "better" was supposed to be what Valve themselves would sell.

RedSwirl

My keyboard solution has literally just been a wooden board. Happened to find one lying around that's just the right size for a mouse and keyboard.

Hasney

They didn't say that when they've announced it. Gabe talked/rambled about it during his big Verge interview which came ~9 months before the official announcements. At SDD they did say streaming only machines make a lot of sense, but due to their hands already being full those were put on the back burner.

The 3 tier "good, better, best" system was never officially announced and never came into fruition, since "better" was supposed to be what Valve themselves would sell.

Damn. Well, guess we'll hopefully see if anythings changed come GDC.

hepburn3d

I started comfy couch gaming again now that I got a new graphics card, slim 15 foot hdmi cable and a keyboard/mouse combo.

I got this

Logitech_Wireless_All-in-One_Keyboard_TK820_35826409_03.jpg

Mouse trackpad is still kind of junk, but for just needing Windows Key+P and basic mouse control for finicky games, it works. I only play with controller when playing from the couch.

First game I started was Far Cry 4.

I use that top keyboard. I tried getting the chatPad to work on the xbox360 controller but it was a nightmare.

I have Steam BigPicture set but from time to time you just need a keyboard for things like setting up Pinnacle Profiler/XPadder, Dolphin Emulator, etc. In a perfect world I would have Pinnacle load on boot up and act as a mouse, i'd then have a chatpad for letter inputs. Annoyingly if you get pinnacle to boot on load it appears on top of steam big picture (In windows 8), even if it's set to minimised on launch you get the task bar up. So then I tried putting in a lag delay using a bat to load them in a staggered time but this added a massive boot time :( I feel I get so close to lazy couch setup and then something happens and I have to get the mouse + kb out. Sometimes when I exit a game Windows 8.1 decides to bring the taskbar up and I cant use the controller to access steam. In my mind it's pretty much perfect but there's always a gripe.

At the moment if I want to launch a non controller game I've set it to launch Pinnacle then I load the game from Pinnacle with the emulated controls. What's cool is that if I do a force quit in game it closes Pinnacle and the game returning to Steam. Works great for games like Elder Scrolls Online ... until I need to type words in.

Would love to know how others have solved the controller emulation, Pinnacle Boot order situation? Or do you all stick to officially supported games?

In a few instances i.e. skyrim, I've had to switch the the exe's round so it goes straight to game rather than the loader

Hey guys, quick question: What alternatives do I have for LimeLight for low latency big screen gaming using my Android stick? Turns out my laptop is incompatible (Has a Geforce GT 750M, Limelight requires GTX series)

Also a bonus question: Are there any alternatives to Chromecast to cast a streaming video from within a tab? It'd be awesome to not have to switch inputs to watch videos, haha.

Hasney

Hey guys, quick question: What alternatives do I have for LimeLight for low latency big screen gaming using my Android stick? Turns out my laptop is incompatible (Has a Geforce GT 750M, Limelight requires GTX series)

You don't have one AFAIK. You can try SplashtopHD, but it's not good at all for me.

Top Bottom