• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U Thread 5: Yarning for Yoshi

tumblr_n0yk8jUHOt1rsruc9o1_500.png

bravo

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
Here in the trailer you see the meter building up, but keep note of the speed of the Boxing Glove icon; it suddenly speeds up at an extremely fast rate, and just a few frames before he hits Bowser and Mega Man, Bowser is already at 239%. I think Sakurai is basically telling us that the meter is going to take a while to charge, although what actively causes it to build up is something I don't really know.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Replace Sami and Duck Hunt Dog with Wonder Red and Anna from Fire Emblem, and I would be ecstatic with that list.

Wonder Red and Chibi Robo were on the list but I had to take them out. Also I forget Mii, so I will add Mii in when he get confirmed.

Here in the trailer you see the meter building up, but keep note of the speed of the Boxing Glove icon; it suddenly speeds up at an extremely fast rate, and just a few frames before he hits Bowser and Mega Man, Bowser is already at 239%. I think Sakurai is basically telling us that the meter is going to take a while to charge, although what actively causes it to build up is something I don't really know.

Good Catch!

So one thing the GameExplain guys mentioned is that if Little Mac is playable who will be the AT from the Punch Out series? They suggested King Hippo which I feel makes a lot of sense

SmithnCo

So one thing the GameExplain guys mentioned is that if Little Mac is playable who will be the AT from the Punch Out series? They suggested King Hippo which I feel makes a lot of sense

MIKE TYSON

But either Hippo or Glass Joe would be cool. Though Starfy acts like I imagine Glass Joe would.

Dunno but why it's necessary for the franchise to have an AT?

They don't have to true, but when something like Mother Brain is an assist trophy I feel like all options should be open

MIKE TYSON

But either Hippo or Glass Joe would be cool. Though Starfy acts like I imagine Glass Joe would.

Starfy can actually do decent damage he just gets hit and ends up being useless, if they remove that and instead make Glass Joe a slower version of Little Mac AT from Brawl who can be hit it'd be perfect.

Finally. Finally a character I actually wanted gets in. He looks GREAT. I can't get over how lovely his model has been crafted to look just like his Punch Out Wii artwork. It's exactly what I wanted... :')

I hope this means another potential Assist Trophy can make it in as playable. ;)
Why do I do this to myself.

Omzz

so that makes it 23 characters so far right? it really seems like we'll have more characters this time around i hope.

ahhhhh i just want this game in my hands now

J-Tier

Finally. Finally a character I actually wanted gets in. He looks GREAT. I can't get over how lovely his model has been crafted to look just like his Punch Out Wii artwork. It's exactly what I wanted... :')

I hope this means another potential Assist Trophy can make it in as playable. ;)
Why do I do this to myself.

It's Waluigi time! *crotch chop*

DaBoss

Incoming GIFs warning.

I hope this is entertaining.

IT'S YOUR TIME, MAC!!!
ibtKaFxezq3WOG.gif

Samus pls
ieuErpLgtIWOK.gif
Little Mac may be small, but he packs a lot of power. Watch Da Birdie pointed out that this is actually a reference to a Brawl Dojo post that also mentions Little Mac's size compared to Samus.

HIT 'EM BABY!
ibe3YgJl8SXfRT.gif
Dat super armor (you'll see it a lot in Little Mac's moveset). Has a lot of range and seems to be pretty powerful that Little Mac has a cool down period after the punch.
It is his Neutral Special which was mentioned in today's POTD comment.
And speaking of the POTD, Sakurai mentioned that Little Mac's neutral special changes into a OHKO move once the power meter is filled as shown here:
i6xNLs7OD0608.gif
Maybe the Power Meter fills up as he is charging his neutral special, but there really wouldn't be a purpose to having a meter appear for it to signify that. And having super armor and being able to charge that at any time would seem too OP. It probably fills in over time. One thing for sure is that it is a powerful move.

THE PUNCH IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!
iVSqCeOHZtme7.gif
Like the Doc said, the punch is mightier than the sword. Now the weird thing is what is Mac doing to attack Link?
Here is that part slowed down a bit:
i2uis1LFxMTEx.gif
It seems he is using a maneuver for that punch. I think it may be the neutral special without charging it (the B button being tapped). Or it is his Side Smash. Who knows though lol.
Update: The attack is Little Mac's Side-Smash UP.
Shown (left) here:
There is a second move in the first GIF which is Mac's Up Special (recovery move). Also shown here:
ibaQtbaT44ksym.gif
Corkyuken! Seems to have some okay vertical range, but seems to have no horizontal movement at all.

COUNTER! AWW RIGHT!
iRMgNRO5qWP0M.gif
Self-explanatory, it is Mac's counter. Most likely his Down Special.
Take that Samus.

TEAR THAT ARMOR UP, MAC!
iGfG9I9BwTYZj.gif
Superman Punch go! Most likely his Side Special. It seems to make Little Mac do a little hop in the air when it is used on the ground. The move can probably be used as a recovery move for horizontal distance and will most likely operate like Falcon's Raptor Boost.
ibbZj6jf5rJ79M.gif
This is most likely his Up Smash, but it could also be an Up Tilt. All we know is that it is an uppercut.

ALRIGHT, SHAKE IT OFF SON!
ihnxgmCRN0OM4.gif
Giga Mac is Little Mac's Final Smash. Probably just becomes much more powerful and heavier.
Little Mac >>>>>>>> Giga Mac.

DON'T FLINCH!
iMU8k3lUZHCPv.gif
Dat super armor. Either his Side Smash or Side Tilt.
Update: That is his Side-Smash NEUTRAL.
Shown (middle) here:

KEEP IT UP SON!
ibn6bBl0ID4yb4.gif
Look at his speed and dodges. They are insanely fast. It is crazy!
ibw1nl8E12mDmx.gif
God damn. Keeps so low to the floor he dodges Mario's fireballs! That attack he does at the end is his Dash Attack.

BODY BLOW!
i1IMEuKrqsrkM.gif
Mac is doing Grab Attacks. Little Mac is so amazing he manages to keep Marth in the grab with BOXING GLOVES!

JAB JAB! HIT 'EM HARD!
ibtWtvViCNKODh.gif
Look at him go! All of those jabs. Probably his Neutral Attacks. The thing to note is that he does an uppercut right out of the jabs. Not sure how though, maybe that is how his jabs end off?
Update: Consecutive attacks now end off with a finisher.

YOU AIN'T NO AIR FIGHTER, MAC! QUIT FOOLIN' AROUND UP THERE! SMASH AIN'T NO JOKE!
ixzh04AsDlmce.gif
It seems to be either his Neutral Air attack or Forward Air attack. Like with any great fighter in Smash, they come with weaknesses. Doc said, Little Mac is no air fighter which means you'll want to try to keep the fight in the ground when you're playing as Little Mac.
Update: Just confirmation from Sakurai that Little Mac is a ground fighter and not an air fighter.

WE WERE ALL WAITING FOR YOU KID!
ibwutRLdCimce4.gif
And that's the analysis of Little Mac!

Gallery Link: http://minus.com/mbmnY5HEh8wmkb

Thanks to:
  • People in the IRC pointing stuff out and helping me, too many to name. :p (And special thanks to Kyzon for the names of some moves lol).
  • SmithnCo, Native1080p, and scottnak for helping me with Doc quotes since I apparently have shit hearing.
  • And Doc Louis for being the greatest commentator ever.

Sciz

King Hippo's a good choice as a distinctive fan favorite. I could also see Bald Bull or Super Macho Man making it as two of the iconic characters who've been in every game (counting the arcade titles as two halves of a whole). And Glass Joe as the gag option, of course.

edit:
DaBoss said:
Look at his speed and dodges. They are insanely fast. It is crazy!
He's basically teleporting. I can't catch any transitional frames on the right-to-left roll. He might actually be teleporting. Goddamn he looks awesome.

Spinluck

rec28hums.gif
rec12hu0x.gif

Something that I notice from the trailer is just how heavy the gravity is compared to Brawl (including more hitstun). Little Mac also appears to be quite a fast faller too, which really doesn't help his already poor recovery, but makes him seriously fast on stage.

Either way, this system looks so much better than Brawl.

i think that's just little mac and the fact that this game is a lil faster than brawl. his aerial game also appears awful.

"you ain't no air fighter mac, quit foolin' around out there. SMASH AIN'T NO JOKE."

im thinking he's a guy who likes to keep his fights on the ground.

Neiteio

Little Mac vs. Little Mac vs. Little Mac vs. Little Mac.

No items. WVGB Circuit.

All dat super armor.

All dat super meter.

All dem OHKOs.

CAN'T WAIT.

Ryce

It's still so surreal seeing Little Mac as an official Smash Bros. character. I can never acclimate to newcomer reveals.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It's still so surreal seeing Little Mac as an official Smash Bros. character. I can never acclimate to newcomer reveals.

Pretty much. I have been wanting to see Little Mac ever since for long time as I can remember. I guess it would be way before Brawl hype started. When I saw Little Mac being AT, and I can't explain how I felt about that. It was bitter disappointment, but now I'm glad that Sakurai decided to wait longer for Little Mac because I'm pretty sure that Little Mac would be different if he added to Brawl Roster. He is just perfect in SSB4.

Top Bottom