• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Beta (PC/Xbone) Impressions (No Key Begging/Trading or I will ban you!)

Most importantly I ditched the mouse and keyboard for a proper 360 wired controller and all hell has broken loose. Submachine gun and rapid fire pistol with speed perks along with sidewinder anti-mech gun = pure joy. It's endlessly enertaining bopping in from a roof and taking down a mech in a heated battle. The AI guys are pretty horribly and sometimes you will run into a building and see a few friendly and enemy AI kinda hanging out together. It looks like they heard you coming and then decided to fight. I think the AI is just cannon fodder to make the game more fast paced and that it definitely does. It's fun to kill them but would be nice if they added at least one game type with same 8 vs 8 like in big game type CoD.
I am SO happy to hear the 360 windows controller works well and even viable vs M&KB. I had a feeling it would be due to mobility being such a big part of the game. I prefer the controller but usually have to M&KB in multi-player games.

tuna_love

Banned
Watching.

Is there a sticky grenade type explosive to use? It seems that regular grenades seem to be largely ineffective due to the number of people simply high jumping and wall jumping around, easily avoiding them.
arc grenades explode in impact

Anyone here got lower end PC specs?

Ive got a 9800GTS and was wondering if anyone had anything comparable.
If it doesn't run well I may just have to skip this game.
(No Xbone, no real desire for next gen consoles)

Played like 5-6 matches, a couple Attrition and 2 Hardpoint Dom. Game is just a fucking blast, I haven't had this much fun in a shooter in a while.

Everything just feels so dynamic and there are so many options available to you at any one time. Once you learn the traversal you can really haul ass across the maps. There is also nothing more satisfying than having an extended duel with a Titan, having to eject but landing a Anti-Titan rocket to doom their Titan on the way down.

Respawn really has something special on their hands here.

xBladeM6x

This game is excellent. Running this setup:

CPU: Intel i7 3770k Ivy Bridge 3.5 GHz (3.9 GHz)
GPU: NVIDIA EVGA Geforce GTX 660 Ti 2GB
RAM: CORSAIR Vengance 16 GB (4x 4GB)

You can run everything on as high as it will go graphically. However for those who are too excited to read things, don't bother putting the Textures on Insane if you have a 2GB card. Makes things jittery in some places because of it's "3GB requirement" which is laughable considering how bad the textures look in a general sense.

Also, consider disabling the in game VSync, and forcing it in the Control Panel. Seems to improve the way things run, even though it's usually a solid 60 FPS.

Lucent

Holy fuck

You can jump on a friendly Titan hang on to it and shoot while on top

!!!

lol this was shown in some trailers/gameplay videos before. I imagined what it would be like if you got on a titan that can jump.

Shady859

I am SO happy to hear the 360 windows controller works well and even viable vs M&KB. I had a feeling it would be due to mobility being such a big part of the game. I prefer the controller but usually have to M&KB in multi-player games.

For now it very much is holding up I am happy to say. They have a layout bumper hopper I think it's called where LB is jump but I think straight CoD default is just fine. Hours and days and weeks over the years can't be wrong.

EDIT: i need sleep lol

Bizazedo

Did he just die and when he rezzed, since his Titan was ready, he dropped with it?

He also jetted out of the Titan when he ejected instead of popping way up into the air, helpless.

Dead

well not really...yet
Played about 6 matches. Won the first 5, lost the last.

It's so fast paced, frenetic and fun. The mobility is really liberating and the gunplay feels tight. Player health is also a huge improvement over COD. I don't have to feel that the second I have a bullet in me its too late. Titan gameplay is just as great, taking out legions of enemies or going against 2 other titans is frantically awesome.

But theres no two ways about it, the amount of AI is a huge problem. Sometimes minutes will pass without seeing an actual player character on the field. The player count is too low. Period.

But aside from that, yeah its awesome.

Mrbob

But theres no two ways about it, the amount of AI is a huge problem. Sometimes minutes will pass without seeing an actual player character on the field. The player count is too low. Period.

But aside from that, yeah its awesome.
Minutes will pass? Where are the AI dudes hiding? They are designed to keep the action flowing.

Nonentity

Plugged my way through to level 14 in about two and a half hours.

Jesus, this is a good game. The interplay between the Titans and Pilots works, and it's not some wonky infantry versus vehicles getup like it is in Battlefield - both are good and have a place at what they do.

I've been having really good luck so far, my K/D versus players has been hovering in the 2.5-3.0 range, and I've had matches where I have not died, mainly just had Titans get destroyed or whatever.

Nonentity

What? The player count has felt fine, there is always action going on near your friendly grunts. It's super easy to find where players are on the radar. I don't know what game you were in, but it sounds like everyone was trying to camp. I have not ran into this experience, the longest I've been out of combat was from respawning to running back to where the action is - 15-20s tops.

That's good to hear. I've got a 4770k and a 780 Ti so I should be good to go for this. I was mainly hoping to get into the beta to see how well it ran before buying. Anybody know if they've sent out the bulk of codes yet, or is this just early access or something? I didn't think it was supposed to start until tomorrow.

I'm going to try not to be too bummed if I don't get in since the game comes out in less than a month.

Are you kidding?

You were ever doubting a 4770K and 780 Ti could handle this game!?

Kainin

Neo Member
I've been playing Battlefield since November, and haven't really touched a fast paced FPS since Modern Warfare 3. This game is fast. It seems like I have a much easier time of things when I am in Titan vs Titan combat or in Pilot vs Titan combat. Pilot vs Pilot I struggle mightily.

I don't know if this game can last for months and months, but it's certainly lots of fun.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Come watch me and some of the designers from Respawn play on PC!

www.twitch.tv/redko5

Holy wow you're good!

Also, watching y'all play the game is probably the best marketing ever. It really shows how this game brings a new twist to the FPS - and I feel safe in saying that even though I haven't gotten to play it yet!

Heysoos

Console and Controller bros,

Bumper Jumper is the way to go. If you're not used to it, it might take a couple of games to adapt. It is definitely the best way to play though.

Natiko

Banned
Question regarding the smart pistol - when confronted with a human player it's best to just manually aim and fire right? Letting it lock on doesn't seem to benefit all that much unless I'm doing something wrong.

Bsigg12

Question regarding the smart pistol - when confronted with a human player it's best to just manually aim and fire right? Letting it lock on doesn't seem to benefit all that much unless I'm doing something wrong.

It's a pain in the ass to use the smart pistol on pilots unless you have the jump on them or you're in an open space. It takes a while and you need 3 locks to kill a pilot. ADS might be better. I feel like it's easy as a person being attacked by someone with that gun to break the lock and turn the tide against them.

HelloMeow

I believe it's very accurate just shooting from the hip, so unless you get the drop on someone, don't try to lock on.

wotta

It's so fast paced, frenetic and I DON'T like it. I'm sorry to go against the grain but it's really not for me. The map in the beta feels too claustrophobic and the textures are pretty poor. I'm not really a big shooter fan, but I think Call of Duty provides more the experience that I like.

I can see why everyone will love it, it's not a bad game at all and I'm sure it'll sell very well but for me, I'd rather sit back with a good story and a slower pace. Life is fast and frantic enough lol.

What I would say from a negative point of view is that I just don't see any longevity in this game, maybe I'm wrong. Sorry to be down on it, but like I say, I'm sure mega-shooter fans will love it.

Morzak

After watching a bit of dko5 on twitch I really hope to get a key to test it out and see of it also feels right to me.

jtm33

Neo Member
This game seems to have a big problem with high poll rate mice. I had to turn mine down or the game would stutter severely whenever I moved it.

Milennia

yep. game is fucking everything i thought it would be, i love it.

cant wait for some more weapons and maps though.
im not amazing as i only played like 5 games and am brand new at using the xbone controller, however im not awful either.

in all of my games the same guy just destroyed everyone by picking a roof at the start of the game and just viciously camping it... which is bad because we could have just gone up there and killed him due to the way the movement works in this game, however nobody decided to give it a go and he was surrounded by titans to the point where i couldnt get up there in any of my games =/

meh, ill get better, game is fun as shit and i cant wait to really dig in.

just unlocked the smg (my favorite weapon by far) and i need to unlock the scatter perk for it, then i can get down to business.

Natiko

Banned
It's a pain in the ass to use the smart pistol on pilots unless you have the jump on them or you're in an open space. It takes a while and you need 3 locks to kill a pilot. ADS might be better. I feel like it's easy as a person being attacked by someone with that gun to break the lock and turn the tide against them.

I believe it's very accurate just shooting from the hip, so unless you get the drop on someone, don't try to lock on.

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I definitely think when using it I'll just fire manually and not try and wait for it to lock on in most cases. It works well enough like that.

Kainin

Neo Member
It's so fast paced, frenetic and I DON'T like it. I'm sorry to go against the grain but it's really not for me. The map in the beta feels too claustrophobic and the textures are pretty poor. I'm not really a big shooter fan, but I think Call of Duty provides more the experience that I like.

I can see why everyone will love it, it's not a bad game at all and I'm sure it'll sell very well but for me, I'd rather sit back with a good story and a slower pace. Life is fast and frantic enough lol.

What I would say from a negative point of view is that I just don't see any longevity in this game, maybe I'm wrong. Sorry to be down on it, but like I say, I'm sure mega-shooter fans will love it.

All of what you're saying isn't crazy-talk. But we don't know what other modes, DLC, etc. they have up their sleeves. (In regards to longevity)

CryptiK

Good to see a well thought critique after just playing one match with low ping in a beta, sure this is a opinion to take seriously.

Disclaimer: not even saying everyone needs to like this game, but...
150 ping is low? What are you on I want some. I live in Australia and there are no servers the game lags like shit and we wont have any local servers til next year. The game is garbage who ever though the smart pistol was a good idea is an idiot.

Played last night until around 130 and paying fir it today. Am in the UK and had a ping of 17ms to western Europe and40 or 50 to northern Europe very nice.

Having a huge amount of success rodeoing enemy titans, as most ppl haven't yet worked out how to deal with it... Lots of fun, use my auto follow as a lure, then cloak up, jump on and blow their brains out

Bsigg12

Played last night until around 130 and paying fir it today. Am in the UK and had a ping of 17ms to western Europe and40 or 50 to northern Europe very nice.

Having a huge amount of success rodeoing enemy titans, as most ppl haven't yet worked out how to deal with it... Lots of fun, use my auto follow as a lure, then cloak up, jump on and blow their brains out

Once people start making the move to the electric smoke, rodeos will be dangerous as hell. It's such a god send on Angel City because you can just stand there and let the smoke kill anyone on top of your Titan.

can you turn off minions?

No, there are no community servers or mods. All the servers are run on Azure and the AI is ran on that.

DoctorZ

Still downloading on PC, but how well does this perform on more modest machines?

I'm on a stock 3570k, GTX 480, 8gb ram.

Anyone with a similar setup playing the PC beta?

Kainin

Neo Member

Once people are in parties with five of their friends they'll communicate the fact that there is some asshole on top of them shooting into their brain.

Top Bottom