• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games - 1 Year Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wensih

Really? What difficulty are you playing at? Is there a point in particular you have a problem with?

I'm playing on Normal. I'm towards the end, but the part that I was stuck on for a little over an hour was the flying dreadnoughts. You have to destory 5 airships. The first ship you just fly to the back core and destroy it. The last 4 ships you have to destroy a core in the front that fires lasers and then destroy the core in the back; however, on each successive ship has more enemies and guns which spam lasers at you.

The thing that frustrated me the most was that there are so many enemies that are capable of being locked on that the camera becomes difficult to control, and I had trouble locking on to the front core. I would constantly get to the 4th or 5th ship, and die... There is no checkpoint either.

ZoE2 has a lot more going on in it than the first which makes for some exciting fights, but it also leads to frustration as the more enemies on screen make the camera difficult to control.

Axass

I'm playing on Normal. I'm towards the end, but the part that I was stuck on for a little over an hour was the flying dreadnoughts. You have to destory 5 airships. The first ship you just fly to the back core and destroy it. The last 4 ships you have to destroy a core in the front that fires lasers and then destroy the core in the back; however, on each successive ship has more enemies and guns which spam lasers at you.

The thing that frustrated me the most was that there are so many enemies that are capable of being locked on that the camera becomes difficult to control, and I had trouble locking on to the front core. I would constantly get to the 4th ship, and die... There is no checkpoint either.

You mean the part when you use the Vector Cannon? I remember it being quite insidious for the reasons you just stated, think it's the most difficult part in the whole game, unless I'm forgetting something. Well at least it was so for me, I replayed it several times as well on my first playthrough. Though to this day I think that the Vector Cannon is the single coolest weapon that ever graced a game: destroying those ships I felt like a boss, so I didn't mind replaying it; that's a costant of ZOEII as far as I'm concerned, I played it several times on several difficulties, and I rarely do so: such a short but sweet game, like a chocolate candy.

oggob

| MY COMPLETE LIST |

Completion #04 : Game #08 : Doki Doki Universe (Vita/PS3 | ~11hrs | Trophies - 100%)
Completion #06 : Game #10 : Doki Doki Universe (PS4 | ~11hrs | Trophies - 100%)
Not really a game, just endless fetch quests... thankfully 99% of the time the item to fetch is found on the same planet or you can recycle the same old items.

After a numerous amount of quizzes within the game also, I will state that the game did actually have a fair representation of me, which is kinda scary.

Game has a unique twist at the end, obvious that it was going to have a 'happy' ending, but just didn't expect the way it came about, but overall there isn't really anything special to be something that needs to be recommended.

EDIT - Put in about the same timeframe for the PS4 version, it is a CrossBuy game, but trophies are separate and the sync doesn't work all that well, I wanted to delete it off the HDD, so I slogged my way through it again.

Axass

| MY COMPLETE LIST |

#08 : Doki Doki Universe (Vita/PS3 | ~11hrs)
Status - Complete | Trophies - 100%
Not really a game, just endless fetch quests... thankfully 99% of the time the item to fetch is found on the same planet or you can recycle the same old items.

11 hours of fetch quests? I take it it's not that great of a game...

I wanted to try it due to the general atmosphere, that reminded me of the Little Prince, but then it kinda fell off my wishlist.

Wensih

You mean the part when you use the Vector Cannon? I remember it being quite insidious for the reasons you just stated, think it's the most difficult part in the whole game, unless I'm forgetting something. Well at least it was so for me, I replayed it several times as well on my first playthrough. Though to this day I think that the Vector Cannon is the single coolest weapon that ever graced a game: destroying those ships I felt like a boss, so I didn't mind replaying it; that's a costant of ZOEII as far as I'm concerned, I played it several times on several difficulties, and I rarely do so: such a short but sweet game, like a chocolate candy.

Yep, you gotta use the vector cannon which I do admit is pretty freaking awesome. Both ZoEs have amazingly styled Robot designs. I feel Xenoblade Chronicles took some inspiration from them.

oggob

11 hours of fetch quests? I take it it's not that great of a game...

I wanted to try it due to the general atmosphere, that reminded me of the Little Prince, but then it kinda fell off my wishlist.

Kinda, but not really, most NPCs have a present that you need to obtain or a task they want you to do, this involves 'spawning' an item they want, or for someone else, maybe pick them up and move them around the screen...

Each NPC also has a things they like and don't like, initially I spent sometime trying to fill out their cards, but this interest dropped off as it becomes really repetitive and you begin to not care. The controls not being that efficient also don't help, viewing an NPC interest card, you can't directly go to the talk or item menu, you have to back out and initiate the menu again.

So, in the end I slogged through it and you certainly could finish it up abit faster.

Wensih

... was it good? I always thought about picking up the ZOE collection.

I updated my game log post with some quick thoughts. Overall I found it really good. I would categorize it a fast paced action-game sort of like a Bayonetta, Vanquish, DMC, or Ninja Gaiden except in a giant robot that can fly in any direction because you need some skill to block, dodge and attack at the right time. Mostly the camera works very well, except for when there are a ton of enemies on screen because there is an auto-lock and it becomes hard to single-out a target. These instances can lead to some frustration, but overall I had a really good time that was also pretty intense.

The first game is much easier and plays a lot different because you have a hub-world where you fly back and forth between different sections that initiates a fighting arena of sorts. The second game is much more linear; there's nothing really to do between missions. The first game is about 4.5 hours long while the second took me 8.5 hours.

I'd say they're worth checking out. I got a copy from amazon for $15.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95445151&postcount=120

Yuripaw

Banned
| MY COMPLETE LIST |

#08 : Doki Doki Universe (Vita/PS3 | ~11hrs)
Status - Complete | Trophies - 100%

After a numerous amount of quizzes within the game also, I will state that the game did actually have a fair representation of me, which is kinda scary.

Game has a unique twist at the end, obvious that it was going to have a 'happy' ending, but just didn't expect the way it came about, but overall there isn't really anything special to be something that needs to be recommended.

I'm in the middle of that game myself right now. It's something I just gotta boot up occasionally on my PS4 and putter around in. I'd agree there isn't much game in it, but it's funny, and has a charming visual style. I dunno if I'd recommend it as a game, but as a little diversion when you don't wanna stress too much, it's a fun distraction.

Axass

... was it good? I always thought about picking up the ZOE collection.

Dunno about the collection but ZOEII is a must play if you like stylish action games.

It's short and fast paced, but it has great replay value: totally worth your money.

FluxWaveZ

Game #7 completed:

Game 7: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 15:54 (Finished February 10)
# I've never played A Link to the Past before, so I entered this game without the context or any memories of that one. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as a lot of other people seemed to for that reason, but I really enjoyed the game anyways.

# I liked the game's open-ended nature where the player could follow the path of their choosing, as well as the lack of guidance, leaving the player to discover things on their own. This caused me to check a walkthrough a couple of times when I was absolutely stuck, but that's just fine and I prefer that to having every little thing explained to me.

# The game felt exceptionally well to play, the music was great (I especially enjoyed all of the escalating music depending on events), the story ended up being more engaging to me than it did at the start and it was just fun times all around.

Original post. Number eight's probably gonna be Danganronpa. We're about six weeks into the year, so this is a good pace.

Darksiders - 16:04 hours
Boy howdy. After 1h I thought I hated this game, but I gave it a chance and I ended liking it very much. It's the cheesiest game I ever played, but in a good way. Some mid-level fights were hair-pullingly hard (f'ing Black Throne) but boss fights were generally too easy. Long and entertaining, all in all a pleasant game.

Updated original post

Week 6. Two games this time--Attack of the Friday Monsters, a breezy adventure game with a sincere, nostalgic heart, and Jazzpunk, which should probably be pictured in the dictionary next to "madcap." Both were short diversions from a couple of long games I'm playing now--I've settled into a trio of Valkyria Chronicles 3, Bravely Default and Lego City Undercover. I'm beginning to lose a bit of steam in VC3 as the missions get more difficult, and the end of Chapter 5 threw me for a loop, but Lego City Undercover is surprisingly picking up that slack.

All of that may fall for the wayside for a bit, though. Thanks to the new Steam release (which I didn't actually buy) and the renewed discussion on GAF about it, I've started playing the original Descent again. On Hotshot, which apparently I've never done before because HOT DAMN IT IS HARD. It also occurred to me that I've probably never played through all 27 levels, but I'm beginning to wonder if I'm even going to make it to 7 at this point--I lost half my lives in the last level.

With the two new games that brings me up to 15 out of 52. Updated post here.

Yasawas

First of February. A long one too, and I've got about 20 hours in the wonderful Disgaea D2 and am less than halfway through it so this month definitely not going to be as fruitful as January. Going to give the Vita a go on the commute for the next few weeks though so this might be when I mop up Limbo, Hotline Miami and some of the other wee games I have on it.

Game 11: Gyakuten Saiban 3 (NDS) - Completed 12/2/14. 27:51

AKA Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trial and Tribulations. Amazing to think I tried the first game back in 2007 and didn't like it, tried the second one last year again and gave up after the second case and only picked it up again over Christmas out of exasperation about hearing how good Dual Destinies was. I loved the second half of 2 and this was a big improvement on that - so well written, wonderful characters, great music. I was really sad to see it end today but at the same time very excited about the prospect of two more games in the main series, neither of which are GBA conversions so my expectations for animation and music have been raised appropriately. I'm not going to get them both done by the 28th March though so I hope there's nothing in Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright that spoils it.

Original post.

Axass

I'm not going to get them both done by the 28th March though so I hope there's nothing in Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright that spoils it.

I'm pretty sure it spoils nothing, I'm certain about DD, because it came out after Vs in Japan. But I think that in general it has very little to do with the main series, aside from having Phoenix and Maya in it.

Weird though that you liked 3 and not the first... I agree that the third is the best of the series, but I found the first one about on the same level.

Yasawas

Excellent, thanks!

I played the first on Japanese import which I think was about 2006ish, I think my taste has just changed significantly since then. I remember I only did the first couple of cases and wasn't feeling it. All my DS games were later stolen and I inherited a copy of the second one last year which is why I started there, having read up on the plot of the first, rather than start at the beginning of the series again. I reckon I'd almost certainly enjoy it now but I have so much to play I can't see me having time to do it.

Bii

Game 10: The Wolf Among Us: Episode 2 - Smoke Mirrors (PC) - 1.6 hours played
# A bit shorter than expected but still fun. The wait for the next episode is going to kill me. haha

Game 11: Final Fantasy: All The Bravest (iOS) - 2.0 hours played

# Played this in a span of a few days. I didn't want to spend a single cent on this unlocking premium characters or buying lives. So, I played it as free as I can and it was a good time waster. My file says 61% so, I'm not sure how I'd complete this 100%.

Game 12: Pokemon Rumble U (Wii U) - 8.5 hours played

# I spent a lot more time on this than I should. I was trying to catch all of the Pokemon and complete all of the challenges along the way. As I was nearing the end, and had wanted to go back and finish some challenges I skipped...I find out that I can't finish them!? There are some challenges in the early levels where you'd have to use Pokemon with a power level of 400 or less. All of the Pokemon I have are already levels 650 and above and the game doesn't let you keep any Pokemon below your lowest level one. In any case, it was a fun game even when I didn't use any of the NFC figures that I have.

Original post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95490358&postcount=198

Burnburn

Game #6: Swan Song - 20 hours

I think this will become my LTTP GotY for 2014, this game is beautifull. The cast, except for MC and the love interest, is exceptionally strong. That may seem a bit of a contradiction since that's 33% of the main cast, but the other 4 characters are just so strong that it makes up for it.

I'm sure not many people have heard of this game, since it's a Visual Novel. The game takes place after an earthquake and leaves a town completely devastated. Yes I know that there has been an abundance of these type of games lately, but keep in mind this game is a bit older.

It's pretty much the standard fare, they try to survive and things don't go really smooth. But the game goes a little beyond the standard fare. There is a lot of social commentry and goes into some deep things. Dealing with rape, extreme anti-religious movements, extreme religion, gang wars, dictatorship, dealing with change and so on.

What really sold me on this game was one particular character, at first it seems like he's just a little side role, but 1/3th through the game you're pretty much playing with him most of the time. The character development this guy goes through is the best I've ever seen, I've loved him, hated him, whatevered him, I pretty much felt it all. And in the end you feel real compasion towards him.

Keep in mind this game has extreme depictions of rape and violence, so if you can't handle that stay away from it.

9/10

Original Post

StingX2

Game 9: Touch My Katamari - 5 Hours (1 Hour in 2013)
I like this series but I'm also awful at it. This game really was no different with only two levels where I scored 5 stars, the rest being 1 starred. The series controls have gotten a lot better with the jump ability being a blessing. No longer do you need to waste time climbing over things when a simple jump frees you.

Original Post

Game 13: Beyond Good and Evil HD (PS3) - ~11 hrs
Was pretty letdown by this one. A lot of the gameplay elements felt clunky to me. The ending was pretty annoying as well. I hope for the sake of the hardcore fans that we get a sequel someday. I might even check it out just to see what happens to Jade and Pey'j.

Game 14: Cook, Serve, Delicious (PC) - ~21 hrs
Platinum star restaurant with all side events completed. 34/43 achievements. I really liked this one overall. I just wish it was a bit less grindy (20 days required for each star level.)

Updated post.

olimpia84

Added two more :)

Game 8: Far Cry 3 (PS3) - 20hs
# Very impressed by this and glad I finally got around to playing it. Loved the open world aspect and the island setting and locales, graphics are nice despite the performance issues (poor framerate, texture loading and popin). Gunplay was fun and the pacing was great. Currently trying to get the platinum for this game considering it's very easy and the game is enjoyable so why not.

Game 9: Resistance: Burning Skies (PS Vita) - 6hs
# Not a good FPS. Everything about this game is average, from graphics to level design to pacing. Online mode is full of hackers and thus unplayable. Story mode was short and easy and the platinum is very easy so in the end I don't regret my cheap purchase of this game.

grimmiq

2 More down, 39 to go.

Game 12: Binary Domain - 8 Hours.
Bought 02/01/14 - Finished 13/02/14
# REALLY enjoyed this, getting my controller to work while showing 360 controller prompts took me a while to find, m+kb controls sucked. Been a while since I played a game where I liked every member of the cast, voice acting and dialog (except some of the mid-fight voice overs) seemed really well done and felt natural, new favourite video game couple, loved the ending, though I hear there is a better one, I prefer a bit of bitter sweet.

Game 13: Metro Last Light - 8 Hours.
Bought 03/01/14 - Finished 13/02/14
# Damn..Loved this from start to finish, all the issues I had with 2033 seemed to have been fixed, though the enemy detecting you while stealthed is a bit stupid, made those sections far too easy. Also it felt less intimidating and claustrophobic, Artyom seemed much more of a badass. Once again got the bad ending, I was kinda aiming for the good one knocking people out, but then I was reintroduced to the Reich and the Reds and went full murder spree mode.

Original Post

Kerned

Banned
Updated post here. I'm behind schedule for the year, but not by much.

Game 3: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition - Completed February 6 (roughly 10 hours)
What a great game! I really didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did, I mostly got it to see how nice it looks on PS4 (it looks really, really nice).

Game 4: Spelunky - Completed February 13 (defeated Olmec, no idea how many total hours, probably a lot)
I finally managed to beat Olmec on a warmup for the Daily Challenge. I then beat him a second time right after that while playing the Daily. Well, on to Hell!

StingX2

Game 10: Kingdom Hearts 1 Final Mix HD -58 Hours (20 Hours in 2013)
(Started 11/23/13 / Finished 2/14/14)
I was very very late to the PS2 party in 2006 and this was the first game I played for the system. I loved it having wanted to join the fun everyone else was having for years at this point. Playing the game now though was a little different because I actually haven't touched the series since (except chain of memories) so when friends complained about the combat being basic or the camera being trash, I really couldn't see it. I loved my time with the game but playing a game that I know how it plays out kinda bugged me. If you don't attempt side stuff then you have only 2 short scenes that add anything to your play. Still a great game and I'll do some trophy hunting but can't see myself doing another playthrough.

Original Post

I only just realized this thread existed. I've been plowing through my backlog the last two months, so I'm just going to list them minus the hours, because I don't keep track of that! These games are all finished and totally played in 2014. (I've since gone back and estimated times on console games and looked up times on Steam games)
January
Game 1: Arkham Origins : Blackgate / 8 hrs
2: Castle of Illusion / 4 hrs
3: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow / 18 hrs
4: Rochard / 5 hrs
5: Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus / 6 hrs
6: Walking Dead Season 2 / 10 hrs
7: The Raven / 9 hrs
8: The Lost City of Zezura / 8 hrs
9: Book of Unwritten Tales: Critter Chronicles / 8 hrs
10: Chaos on Deponia / 13 hrs
February
11: Edna and Harvey: Harvey's new eyes / 7 hrs
12: Still Life / 8 hrs
13: Primordia / 6 hrs
14: Sam and Max S1 ep 2 - to be added to / 1 hr
15: The Cat Lady / 7 hrs
16: Scratches Directors Cut / 5 hrs
17: Ys: Memories of Celceta / 23 hrs
18: Serena/Proteus/The Plan / 2 hrs
(I'm counting all these extremely short games as one)
19: Syberia 2 / 5 hrs
20: DmC / 9 hrs
21: Vanquish / 6 hrs
22: Hero of the Kingdom / 5 hrs
23: Cubetractor / 5 hrs
24: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc / 23 hrs
25: Professor Layton and the Unwound Future / 14 hrs
March
26. Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice / 16 hrs
27. Professor Layton and the Last Specter / 12 hrs
28. South Park: The Stick of Truth / 14 hrs
29. Tappingo / 5 hrs
30. The Room 2 / 3 hrs
31. Ghost Trick / 12 hrs
32. Thief (4) / 24 hrs
33. Infamous: Second Son / 15 hrs
34. Escape Goat 2 / 7 hrs
35. Knack / 10 hrs
April
36. The Wolf Among Us / 10 hrs
37. Picross E3 / 20 hrs
38. The Lego Movie: The Game / 10 hrs
39. Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask / 16 hrs
40. The Witcher 2 / 18 hrs
41. God of War HD / 8 hrs
42. God of War 2 HD / 10 hrs
43. Dishonored / 8 hrs
44. Dragon Age: Origins / 40 hrs
45. God of War 3 / 8 hrs
May
46. Dark Souls 2 / 56 hrs
47. Stick it to the Man! / 4 hrs
48. MGS: Ground Zeroes / 2hrs
49. Picross e4 / 21 hrs
50. Monument Valley / 2 hrs
51. Mario's Picross / 13 hrs
52. You Have to Win the Game / 2 hrs
53. Always Sometimes Monsters / 8 hrs
June
54. Rayman Legends / 15 hrs
55. Marlow Brigg and the Mask of Death / 6 hrs
July
56. Divinity: Original Sin / 101 hrs
57. Strider / 6 hrs
58. Broforce / 5 hrs
59. Doki Doki Universe / 6 hrs
60. Velocity Ultra / 5 hrs
August
61. Hohokum / 7hrs
62. Watch Dogs / 40 hrs
63. Wolfenstein:New Order / 12 hrs
September
64. Velocity 2X / 5 hrs
65. Hexcells Infinite / 24 hrs
66. Murdered: Soul Suspect / 10 hrs
67. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter / 6 hrs
68. Wasteland 2 / 64 hrs
October
69. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor / 25 hrs
70. The Evil Within / 25 hrs
71. Mario's Picross 2 / 50 hrs
72. Jazzpunk / 3 hrs
73. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs / 4 hrs
November
74. Pix the Cat / 10 hrs
75. Binding of Isaac: Rebirth / 60+hrs
76. Luftrausers / 3 hrs
November
77. The Novelist / 2 hrs
78. 1001 Spikes / 20 hrs
December
79. Dragon Age: Inquistion / 88 hrs
80. Illust Logic DS / 50+ hrs
81. Little Big Planet 3 / 6 hrs
82. Picross E5 / 18 hrs
83. Valiant Hearts / 6 hrs
84. NaissanceE / 4 hrs

84 games / 1244 hours

MrDaravon

Finally an update, SMT took me 3 weeks >_>. Looking forward to diving into Bravely Default now, then EDF 2025 next week! Updated post here.

Game 11: Shin Megami Tensei IV - 75 hours on Normal
# Fantastic game; I enjoyed SMT3 and Persona 3 but always felt like I had to be looking at fusion charts and that I was playing the game wrong. I'm guessing some people were probably upset at some of the changes/additions, but a lot of the quality of life changes (demon analysis, the entire fusion system, your character skills, auto-mapping, etc) made this the first SMT game that I was largely able to just play normally. That said, by far my biggest complaint is the horrible, horrible overworld map. You frequently get quests or are told to go somewhere that you will often have no idea how to remember to get back to or even where it is at all; the game seems to rely a lot on you actually knowing Japanese geography and locations. Along the same lines, you'll frequently have quests that will require you to go back to locations where at the time nothing was going on but now there is because the quest is active, etc. By far my biggest annoyance of the game, reminded me heavily of trying to transverse the DC overground/underground part of the map in Fallout 3. My only other notable but minor gripes are the way the game handles enemy reinforcements (aka they're random, and then will also sometimes get the first attack and wreck you as a result) and the very end of the did mark a return to some of the old SMT stuff where even though I was way overleveled not having very specific skills/demons made some of the endgame stuff really difficult. Also while I was glad that I wound up getting the Neutral path, the amount of extra shit you have to do on that path is ridiculous, was straight FAQing it at that point (I never would have even found one of the quests). Still a phenomenal game overall though.

daveo42

Banned
Game 6: The Last of Us: Left Behind - 3 hours - Completed 2/15/14

Finished up the story DLC just now and it was pretty good. Knew where the story was going and wasn't all that surprised at the course of events, but it was pretty good. I think the middle section of the game was about perfect right before the run up to the finish. Worthy to be called TLoU DLC.

Game 7: Bravely Default - 24 hours - In Progress

Still in Chapter 2 but I have my town complete and all sidequests finished up to this point. Having a blast thus far and I like the direction the story is going in.

Updated Post Here

Drayco21

Game 7- Halo 3: ODST (360)- 4 Hours, 40 Minutes
Still my favorite single player Halo campaign- decided to replay through it on a whim one weekend, managed to clear it in a single sitting this time, still enjoy the moody, atmospheric cityscape, the disjointed and non-linear narrative and the Firefly cast mini-reunion.

Game 8- Assassin's Creed III (360)- About 10ish hours?
I didn't particularly enjoy this game at all at launch, but I thought that at least part of that was my compulsive need to 100% everything in the main missions, and it had been pretty heavily patched since I played it, so I figured I'd give it another run through before moving fully on to Assassin's Creed IV (...in hindsight, I guess I'm part of the problem here), and found myself enjoying it a bit more, but I still think it was kind of a bad game, and the story is hilariously awful on both fronts for the first time in the series. At this point, AssCreed might actually be so far up its own nonsensical ass that it could probably sit at the same table as Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear.

Bankoiia

Game #7 - Sleeping Dogs 15 Hours Playstation 3
Finished the game on February 15th. If there is one thing I'll remember from this game, it's the atmosphere. The streets felt very much alive and buzzing, more so than GTA V. The combat felt very satisfying and gunplay wasn't that bad either. The story was rather forgetable, though it had some memorable sections. Did some of the extra missions but I don't feel like I'm missing out by ignoring the rest of them. Overall I'n glad I saw it through to the end.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
After a trio of actiony games I has achieved double digits! Bayonetta's done an I never gotta play it again. There really is nothing likeable about this game to me! Sorrys! bte another Platinum game that lies about its play time lol.

Games Beaten: 10 / 52
Total Playtime: 86 hours, 25 minutes

link!

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Well I'll make my start date 12/28/13

Game 1:
steam world dig - (started 12/28/13; completed 12/30/13; playtime ##.##) [comments: great addictive game. Not necessarily metroidvania but it doesn't entirely try to be]

Game 2:
Legend of Zelda: oracle of ages - (started 12/28/13; completed ##/##/##; playtime ##.##)

Game 3:
Mario and luigi: dream team - (started 12/28/13; completed ##/##/##; playtime ##.##

Game 4:
DKCR 3D - (started 2/8/14; completed ##/##/##; playtime ##.##)

Update: almost done with dkc still have a ways to go with Zelda and Mario. My next games will probably be DKC TF, bravely default, and Pokemon.

Game 21: Vanquish - 5/6 hours
Really fun game, glad I finally got around to playing my PS Plus copy. However, horrible checkpointing and horrible use of one hit kills which made me bump the difficulty down to casual. I was having no problem playing on normal(and I'm not particularly good at these sorts of games, so I felt the challenge was right) and I died several times as a boss would die and auto target me with a one hit kill shot that followed me even as I jetpacked away. Absurd. Then the checkpoint would make you do it all over again. Ridiculous. They don't respect my time, I don't respect their game. Casual it is.

Uthred

I'm going to need to move to shorter games

Game 01 - Warframe ~100 hours

This took up more or less all of January for me, great game but I'm (unsurprisingly) feeling burned out on it so gonna leave it for a while

Game 02 - Devil Survivor Overclocked ~85 hours (Complete 16/02)

This is a great game with a fucking terrible NG+ system, considering a) how little changes between the routes and b) how ridiculously easy NG+ is with your carried over demons, most of the other paths involve tediously steamrolling through the game again and again with a few minor changes to activate flags. Still pretty enjoyable though.

Game 03 - Stranglehold ~6 hours (Complete 19/02)

Bought this on launch, got half way through it and then got distracted. Decided to finally get it out of the way today. It is ultimately mediocre but holy hell did it give me the horn for some classic 90's John Woo. It also earns its mediocre status in an odd way, its not as if its simply dull its that some bits are great and some bits are terrible and it all even outs to being ok.

The best things about it are:

1) the level and environment design, even for a seven year old game some of the levels look amazing and the mix of destructible and interactive environments is generally fun.

2) The story and camerwork/choreography in the cutscenes are all strongly reminiscent of John Woo's seminal 90's Hong Kong action movies, the games meant to be a sequel to Hardboiled and I think it achieves this

3) This is sort of tied in to the last bit but the special abilities and the slow motion abilities help to make you feel like you're re-enacting scenes from the movie and really add to the athmosphere.

Things which are just average - the music, it works but its fairly innocuous, the game could also do with subtitles. Some of the mechanics, while reminiscent of the source material and the feeling the game wanted to evoke, were simply annoying or over-used, particularly the spanish standoff mechanic. It was used too much and the slow speed of the aiming reticle made it a pain, but it also felt cool so Im calling it average.

Things that are bad:

1) The game does not hold up well, I dont remember it being quite this rough back in the day but apart from the environments and some textures/models the game looks rough as fuck and the animations are often a bit janky

2) The game is most fun when you're banging through levels and thugs being a badass - so of course the game decides to work against itself here by sending wave after wave of increasingly tough minions against you, theres too many of them and theyre so tough you have to take cover and this makes it boring

3) The controls are sloppy, an odd mix of too slow (the shooting) and too precise/finnicky (the movement)

4) The camera is far too close to your character and frequently limits your field of view to disatrous effect, as well as making the game feel annoyingly claustrophobic

5) Limited weapon selection and limited variety in enemies, the latter wasnt a huge issue but considering how many different guns Tequila uses in Hard Boiled alone I felt the lack of variety in weapons was a problem

6) Not a fault with the game per se but I feel it should have had unlockables which allowed "cheat modes" so you could just bang through levels using special abilities non-stop

I'd actually be interested in playing an updated sequel that addressed the issues mentioned above. I suppose I should have listed length as a negative factor but to be honest the game felt "complete", the pacing was quite good and to be honest the action was already wearing a little thin towards the end. I tried the online back at launch at it was fun if messy, though the servers have been offline a while so I couldnt revisit it. Sans some kind of "Godmode" I dont think I'd bother replaying the game again.

Game 04 - PSO2 ~22 hours (Complete 03/03)

Game 05 - Danganronpa ~28 hours (Complete 14/03)

FluxWaveZ

Finished game number 8:

Game 8: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - 31:05:16 (Finished February 16)
# I absolutely loved this game. I was a bit wary going into it because of the amount of praise it had gotten after what I believe was the release of the fan translation, but this is totally in my wheelhouse. It really is a combination of Ace Attorney, Zero Escape, Battle Royale and a bit of Persona 3/4 with the "Free Time" moments that lets players interact with the other characters at their leisure.

# I can't imagine that this game wouldn't make it to the top 10 2014 games for me. I can't wait for its sequel to be released later this year.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Game #2 is down - Arkham Origins

I'm really behind in all of this but between classes and work it's hard to find the time to finish things!

Original Post

Caode

//COMPLETE LIST HERE//

GAME 3
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag / PlayStation 4 /
Single Player
- 1st Playthrough
- 45 Hours
- 70% Completion

Probably the most out and out 'fun' title out of the big releases last year that I've played, along with Grand Theft Auto V of course, absolutely loved it from start to finish and I'll easily put in another 20 or 30 hours finishing all the side missions up, getting all the collectibles etc. My new favourite in the series and a huge redemption for the series after Assassin's Creed III.

choodi

Banned
Full list

Just finished my second game for the year.

NES Remix (WiiU) - 10 hours (B)
Nostalgia overload. Damn hard sometimes though. Didn't finish every stage, but the credits rolled and that is good enough for me. Can't wait for NES Remix 2.

I moved house in January though so gaming time has been completely taken up with packing and unpacking boxes of stuff.

Garcia

Update time!

Game 10: Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride ~ 38 hours [Finished]
# Great storytelling, fantastic interaction between characters, fast combat, memorable boss fights and vile villains. DQV delivers quality in every aspect and then raises the bar even more. The multi generational aspect of the game is unique and I wish more RPGs went its way or at least tried to explore the possibilities.

Game 13: Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest ~ 7 hours [Finished]
# 102%, nostalgia, great soundtrack, perfect level design. Been 3 years since my last re-run and I won't ever grow tired of playing it.

Game 14: Megaman 1 & 2 ~9 hours [Finished]
# I aimed for a perfect run (buster only, no damage) and had to learn all the boss patterns, get some help by viewing YouTube videos and read some guides in order to learn the tricks necessary to achieve such a milestone. It was very challenging and fun to do!

Game 15: Guacamelee ~12 hours [Finished]
# I played this in Co-op mode and man, I can only say: what a masterpiece. I fell in love with the visual style and the sense of humor. It chose the best aspects of mexican folklore and blended them into a very satisfactory experience from start to finish. Aiming for a 100% score is extremely challenging and rewarding which is one of the things I love the most about a good platformer.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Well I'll make my start date 12/28/13

Game 1:
steam world dig - (started 12/28/13; completed 12/30/13; playtime 6:26) [comments: great addictive game. Not necessarily metroidvania but it doesn't entirely try to be]

Game 2:
Legend of Zelda: oracle of ages - (started 12/28/13; completed ##/##/##; playtime ##:##)

Game 3:
Mario and luigi: dream team - (started 12/28/13; completed ##/##/##; playtime ##:##)

Game 4:
DKCR 3D - (started 2/8/14; completed 02/17/14; playtime 11:45) [comments: great platformer. I'm ready for DKC TF!]

Game 5:
Pokemon X - (started #/##/##; completed #/##/##; playtime ##:##

Donkey kong is done! Just waiting for Pokemon to come in the mail now.

Yuripaw

Banned
I felt it might be appropriate to post this in this thread, since we're people obviously trying to work on a backlog.

I've been having so much fun this weekend playing stuff like Killer Instinct, and Titanfall on my Xbox One, but for those of us working on a backlog, do you ever feel like that it's time wasted when you play multiplayer games? Like I got so many long single player campaigns I still need to work on that when I've spent so many hours playing just match after match in the Titanfall beta, that I feel like I'm already falling behind.

I wish I could just get out of this line of thinking, because it ruins my enjoyment sometimes.

Also, I'm at this weird point right now where I'm not sure what campaign I wanna play next. My list of games is so long, that I don't know where to begin, or what I'm in the mood for.

Uthred

I felt it might be appropriate to post this in this thread, since we're people obviously trying to work on a backlog.

I've been having so much fun this weekend playing stuff like Killer Instinct, and Titanfall on my Xbox One, but for those of us working on a backlog, do you ever feel like that it's time wasted when you play multiplayer games? Like I got so many long single player campaigns I still need to work on that when I've spent so many hours playing just match after match in the Titanfall beta, that I feel like I'm already falling behind.

I wish I could just get out of this line of thinking, because it ruins my enjoyment sometimes.

Also, I'm at this weird point right now where I'm not sure what campaign I wanna play next. My list of games is so long, that I don't know where to begin, or what I'm in the mood for.

I spent a lot of time playing Warframe recently and sometimes it did feel like I was "neglecting" my backlog (which is full of far too many far too long rpgs) by doing so. To be honest the focus on a "backlog" and "clearing it" can lead to the weird point you mention above where you end up stuck in some kind of paralysis where you feel obligated to play something in your backlog but cant decide what it should be.

Yuripaw

Banned
I spent a lot of time playing Warframe recently and sometimes it did feel like I was "neglecting" my backlog (which is full of far too many far too long rpgs) by doing so. To be honest the focus on a "backlog" and "clearing it" can lead to the weird point you mention above where you end up stuck in some kind of paralysis where you feel obligated to play something in your backlog but cant decide what it should be.

Yeah. Maybe I'd feel like i was accomplishing more if I was playing with friends, or something, but it's just random people online, who I don't know, and won't know after the game. Like I had a real cool close match with a random guy on ranked for KI, and I tried messaging him after, but they don't reply usually.

As for trying to pick another game to play, yeah, it mostly just feels out of obligation at this point, and that is something I wish I could just wash away. That doesn't help get me in the mood to play anything. I wish I didn't beat Zelda LBW so fast, cuz I was having so much fun playing that, but it's over lol

Krafter

Original Post updated

Game 11: The House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return (Wii) - 25 hours
Have been playing this with my 2 youngest brothers on and off again for a few years. Fun, but the Arcade games are so much better.

February has been a slower month, despite being home in the snow the whole time. Juggling too many games at once it seems, have to focus in on just one 'main' per platform and play it through.

Axass

Game 13: Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest ~ 7 hours [Finished]
# 102%, nostalgia, great soundtrack, perfect level design. Been 3 years since my last re-run and I won't ever grow tired of playing it.

I still haven't finished it completely (secret world and all) after all these years, it's been so long that I have no clue where the missing coins I need are. I will start it anew one of day, so I can finally see what lies ahead in that damn last secret world.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
10. Regular Show: Mordecai & Rigby in 8-bit Land. 3DS. About 6 hours.

Neat platformer, some janky hitboxes and buggy as all get out. I beat a couple levels when I turned into a spaceship in a non space ship level and just flew to the end. Not particularly good or bad. Also a waste of the license

StingX2

Game 11: Patchwork Heroes- 6 Hours
(Started 2/16/14 / Finished 2/18/14)
I got this on plus a long time ago and recently started it. It's like qix except the objective is to destroy warships that are trying to wipe out towns. The game is a lot of fun until the last few story missions which drove me nuts over the course of 2 hours. "We came, We Saw" (because they cut the warpships with saws) is the phrase the protagonist utters when you start missions and its the most memorable part of the game. That certainly wouldn't be the story which never made any sense from start to finish.

OP

I feel like this is why the OP suggests adding multiplayer games you've spent a significant amount of time in as part of the challenge. Up to you whether you think that's in the spirit of the challenge or not.

Personally I've felt weirdly about the games I've been playing lately for a different reason. They're all long games--Lego City Undercover's probably the shortest of the three main games I've got going--and my momentum looks from the outside to have disappeared. It isn't true, of course, but there might be another week or two where I don't make any progress on the challenge because Bravely Default and Valkyria Chronicles 3 are both easily 50 hours or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom