• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games - 1 Year Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
7. Mega Man Powered Up

Played through it on hard as Mega Man S. Love this game so much, such a shame it flopped. It and Maverick Hunter X were both so good.

Hubb

5) Tomb Raider 2013

To be completely honest this is my first Tomb Raider game that I put any amount of time in, let alone finish. I'd give the have 7/10 overall. It kept my attention from start to finish which is more than I can say about most games. The tombs/puzzles were generally short and sweet (imo) even if some of them were too easy. I know the games play differently, but if nothing else this game has got me interested in playing Guardian of Light sooner rather than later.

olimpia84

Added two more :)

Game 6: Brothers: Tales of Two Sons (PS3) - 3hs
# Similarly to Rain, it was really easy and short. Very impressive graphics and art direction but the emotional parts of the story didn't do a whole lot to me for some reason.

Batman Arkham Origins (Wii U) - 18hs
# Even though it's more of the same in terms of graphics and gameplay this is my favorite game in the Arkham series. Loved the story and the pacing of the game and how it sets up the events of Arkham Asylum.

alekth

Time for the end of January update. Updated post here

Game 5: Borderlands - 52 hours, finished January 21 - PC
Yes, the first part. I finally finish this on PC after dropping it 5 or so times on PS3. And I think I'm going to finish Uncharted and Red Dead Redemption on consoles and stick to KB/M aside from that. I haven't really played shooters for any substantial period after.. Doom, but it was nice and way too addicting. Felt burned out mid-DLC though, so I'm calling it a day and might never see the robot revolution. DLC was too much running and walking around.

Game 6: Sam & Max Save the World a.k.a. Season 1 - 15 hours, finished January 25 - PC
Two out of six episodes were somewhere in Summer 2013, but then I sort of forgot about it. I actually quite like the jokes and the overall writing. Puzzles can be just a bit too random at times, but those times are rare. What I like least is how slow everyone walks!
Overall it's a franchise I will finish, although I'm not in a terrible hurry. I briefly considered counting each episode separately, but frankly not doing so seems like a good enough motivation to play en bloc, and everything has been out for ages anyway.

Game 7: Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons - 3.7 hours, finished January 26, PC
It was completely all right. I can understand why it got all the praise, and I hope there is more like it coming, but this game per se was a bit too easy. I would still like to replay it on a bigger screen though, I think it will feel better.

Drago

Game 4: Ape Escape On the Loose [PSP] - Complete ~ 8 hours
Was great to revisit this one, especially on the Vita. Hopefully one day I'll be able to play the PS1 original though >_>

Game 5: Chibi-Robo! Photo Finder [3DS] - Done with ~ 6:32 hours
Fun little game, but theres no real end to it and it starts to get repetitive after a while. Not really complete but I can consider myself happily finished. Glad I bought it, glad it was only $10 :p

Game 6: Yoshi's Island DS [DS] - Complete ~ 8:46 hours
Surprisingly had a great time with this. There are a lot of little problems that really add up to bring the game down as a whole, but the level design and art design were good enough to get me to ignore its problems the best I can. Fun game that makes me way more excited for New Island than I was before, seeing as the majority of my problems are gone by default (the different babies and all the issues that come with them)

changed platform of MGS3 from Vita to PS3.

updated post http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=95443270

Game 9: Brothers: A Take of Two Sons [PS3] ~3 hours

Another short and sweet game that I was more than glad it came to PS+. Graphics were soso but the game had a great sense of going on a journey/adventure as a young boy, was a little extra sad for me because it reminded me of someone.

Updated.

Bii

16 games done. Finally got around to updating my post. Read that for more info.

Updated post here.

Wow, you're on track to complete this challenge in less than four months. o_O

Some of you guys are reminding me about my PSP's backlog. I've been focusing on my Steam games as of late and just remembered that my PSP backlog is rather extensive as well.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
8. Catherine for 360.
9.5 hours on normal. Got the True Freedom ending. Took me half the game to really get into the mechanics of the game but I loved the puzzles once I wrapped my head around it. Though I will say it felt like the dicculty peaked aorund world 7 and started dropping off to where the final level was among the easiest.

Don't know what is next. Started Ys 7 on PSP. Thinking about digging into Tomb Raider Anniversary.

Drayco21

Game 5- Lego Marvel Super Heroes (PS4)- 12 Hours
Lego Marvel is by far the most endearing game I've played in a very, very long time. The game was made with a clear and deep passion for the source material that shows in every aspect. Outside of the flying being a little wonky, I think the game nailed pretty much everything well enough, I just hope the sequel gives us an actually functional character creator.

Game 6- Marvel Heroes (PC)- 20 Hours
Cleared through the base game and the Asgard post-game content as Thor- I wasn't having a great time at launch with this game when I was using Daredevil, but this second go around has been such fun that it's easy to forget that. It really seems like Gazillion has gone above and beyond with improving the game post-release, not just with shit to buy, but with overall improvements to the game as a whole.

Week 4: I have failed, my friends. I only finished TWO games this week. My pace is fucked now.

Er, but seriously. I took a little bit of a breather this week and slowed down just to avoid sitting in front of the computer/TV all week and weekend. There was also a bit of that indecisiveness you sometimes get when you're faced with a huge backlog and the games you pull out of it aren't really doing much for you. Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising suffered from a bit of that, thanks to the three times I tried the second (!) mission without success.

So instead I concentrated on some games I knew I could play for long stretches, instead of the hour-long sessions I'd been doing with some of the games that didn't immediately set me afire. That's how I finally managed to finish Fiz, an outstanding Android/iOS game for anyone looking for a tycoon game with depth. I also swung back around to finish Broken Age Act 1, which I'd been waiting on Steam cards for (I know I know). That makes 11/52 games so far.

So what's next? I think I got past a hump with the demo for Bravely Default, so I might work on that a bit more. But currently I think my main focus will be on Valkyria Chronicles 3 for the PSP, which now has an English fan translation patch. So far, I've encountered a few minor translation glitches (mainly in text placement and tiny bits of untranslated text in the UI) but it's very playable even in its unfinished state. Spoiler alert: Valkyria Chronicles still plays great five years after the first game and even with the smaller PSP maps. It kills me that we'll probably never get another one.

Updated post here.

StingX2

Game 6: Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 Vita -20 Minutes
Hate to be that guy to be the first to do a fighting game but I am as I work towards all endings. Pretty good vita port.

Updated OP

I'm almost a month late, but I accept the challenge!

Game 1: Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD - Duration: 8+ hours (incomplete)
I will count all three games as one, but for the challenge count the hours I've started and played in 2014. These will be KH Final Mix beginner/speed run playthrough, Chain of Memories first playthrough, and watching/reading all of 358/2 days.

Game 2: DmC - Duration: pending (incomplete)
Thought I'd give this game a try since it was free for PS+ members. So far, I like what Ninja Theory has done with the reboot.

Game 3: Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z - Duration: pending (incomplete)
I love the game. Watched the show as a kid. Gameplay is fun. Seems repetitive, but I'm still in the beginning.

Fugu

Original post updated.

I took System Shock 2 off of my list due to the incredibly high levels of irritation that the engine caused me and my disinterest in finishing it as a result.

Fugu said:
Game #5 - Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon - Completed Jan 28th
(For anyone with experience with Quake/this mission pack, I played on Nightmare). I'm a really big fan of the original Quake. In particular, I love its single-player and I play it all the time, maybe moreso than any other single-player game these days. I will assuredly not be playing this again. It wasn't that bad, but compared to the official maps -- and compared to the quality of fan-made maps -- it just feels a little lazy: there are vores everywhere, the new enemies don't add anything to the game, and the addition of instant death pits is, quite frankly, embarrassing. There are other cheap deaths too, like the time I was killed by a poorly animated rock that had fallen on me from above with no warning. The new items don't make the game worse (the enemies sure do) but they don't really add anything either. Does anyone really need a dumb "ally" that is likely to be confined to the room you spawned him in? Was there really demand for a biosuit that only worked in water?

Honestly, much of this seems to come down to a development team that had good ideas but no clue how to implement them. There are elements of this in all of the aforementioned things, but there are also strange quirks like elevators that deal damage but default to the up position and one particularly long lift that doesn't return to its start point without a button toggle, forcing the player to wait over a minute for each trip across the map; they should have noticed (and corrected) these things in map testing. What I will say to their credit, however, is the surprisingly large amount of content in this. I didn't find any of the secret levels and it still took me several hours to beat it, which is about how long Quake takes. And it is ultimately Quake, so to say that I did not enjoy myself would be false. However, I see no reason to pay for this when the default levels are worlds better and a large number of excellent fan content exists, too.

Axass

One month two games, unless I squeeze a third one in in the next few days (which I doubt). I'll have to pick up my pace in the following weeks, though it's mostly due to Mario & Luigi which ended up being a much bigger timesink than what I had imagined.

Game 1: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 20:09
Completed the story, got all Maiamais and all hearts but two fragments. A very good game that goes back to the roots of the franchise, however it took just a little too much inspiration from aLttP to be honest: the map is almost exactly the same, the situations and plot aren't that much different either. Of course there are innovations, like the item shop, however I didn't really like it: it doesn't change the dungeon=item progression, just you don't find the items IN the dungeon anymore, the prices are ridiculously low both for renting and buying them, so you end up with all the items after a few hours and the curiosity factor that usually pushes you to go on, to find the next new thing isn't there at all, you're left with huge sums of money that are completely worthless. The story seems also to be an afterthoght and very NPC-light: only in the last few hours it picks up, with some turnarounds, but is ultimately predictable enough; I wish they'd have given Yura a more prominent role as a recurring villain, but after your first fight you basically don't see him anymore until the end.

Game 2: Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros. - 59:23
Completed the story and almost everything else. The game's too long for its own good, too repetitive and there's way too much hand holding, something that sadly affects almost every game made by Nintendo lately. The story's not that interesting, the gameplay has just a few new little touches to add to the usual stuff of the series: there's just so much fun you can get from using the combo techniques when they are mostly the same ever since the first game. Speaking of the first game, it's still the best of the series, undoubtely, Bowser's Inside Story comes second, then this one, while the worst has to be Partners in Time. I think it's about time to put the series to rest or to give it a major overhaul: using once again the same basic structure plus a new gimmick (dream sections, which aren't even as good as one could've imagined) won't cut it next time.

stuminus3

Wow, you're on track to complete this challenge in less than four months. o_O

Some of you guys are reminding me about my PSP's backlog. I've been focusing on my Steam games as of late and just remembered that my PSP backlog is rather extensive as well.
Less than 3 months at this pace, I should be finished another couple of games by Friday! But honestly, there's no way I'll be like this every month. I've been pushing pretty hard to get my total so high. There's some low hanging fruit on there, too. My wife has been sick most of the month so I've had more of the evening to myself after the kids are asleep to play games. I'd definitely be slowing down a bit come February. I just really wanted to get a good headstart on this challenge. I don't need to push so hard now.

Burnburn

My backloggery

I can get behind this. Though I generally like to "Complete" a game before I move on, so getting to 51 is probably not going to work, but hey, we'll see.

Game #1: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - 44 hours

This game is just pure over the top action fun. I have collected everything, except all the titles because that's a bit over kill, 1st ranked all vr missions and completed Revengeance difficulty. I cannot recommend this game enough and it's only 20 euro on steam, with all the dlc.

9/10

Game #2: Portal 2 - 15 hours

First did the co-op with mah man Sendouche and then completed the main story myself. Was a pretty good game, really enjoyed the multiplayer. Singleplayer was really good too, though I hated the section where you get out of the
Test facility
and it becomes a white spot search instead of a puzzle game. If the game was only test chambers it would've been excellent.
7/10

Game #3 The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 25 hours

I think this is the first Zelda game I ever collected every heart pieces in. That, IMO, says a lot about this game, everything is fast and almost has a "no non-sense" kind of feel. Side quests aren't fetch quests that are way too long, but short burst. The 60fps is so good, really flued. First time controlling Link just gives you a "yes, this is going to be good" feel.

8/10

Game #4 Corpse Party - 20 hours

Really, really disturbing game. Think of something horrible and it probably has it (and if it doesn't it will probably be in the sequels). The game was really scary the first 2 chapters, almost too scary, like I was almost to scared to go on. It's weird how an RPG maker game can make you so scared. Though truth to be told, I was really afraid there would be random jump scares. After two chapters and only one jump scare, my mind could kind off relax and the game wasn't that scary anymore. From that moment on the gore starts to ramp up, and as told before, it's really disturbing. There are some really archaic game design choices littered all over the game, which can be immersion breaking.

7/10

Game #5: Portal - 2 hours

It just felt like a tutorial to me. I know it originally was just a little side game for the Orange Box, but after Portal 2 and hearing a lot about it in the internet I was really underwhelmed.

5/10

Game #6: Swan Song - 20 hours

I think this will become my LTTP GotY for 2014, this game is beautifull. The cast, except for MC and the love interest, is exceptionally strong. That may seem a bit of a contradiction since that's 33% of the main cast, but the other 4 characters are just so strong that it makes up for it.

I'm sure not many people have heard of this game, since it's a Visual Novel. The game takes place after an earthquake and leaves a town completely devastated. Yes I know that there has been an abundance of these type of games lately, but keep in mind this game is a bit older.

It's pretty much the standard fare, they try to survive and things don't go really smooth. But the game goes a little beyond the standard fare. There is a lot of social commentry and goes into some deep things. Dealing with rape, extreme anti-religious movements, extreme religion, gang wars, dictatorship, dealing with change and so on.

What really sold me on this game was one particular character, at first it seems like he's just a little side role, but 1/3th through the game you're pretty much playing with him most of the time. The character development this guy goes through is the best I've ever seen, I've loved him, hated him, whatevered him, I pretty much felt it all. And in the end you feel real compasion towards him.

Keep in mind this game has extreme depictions of rape and violence, so if you can't handle that stay away from it.

9/10

Game #7: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - 20 hours

I didn't sell my vita just for this game and it was definitely worth it. It's so over the top and it really doesn't take itself serious. The courtroom sections were kinda meh and I encountered some glitches in it, but aside from that the game was awesome. Very likable characters with the exception of only a few, and a solid story.

8/10

Game #8: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 8 hours

Just beaten for now, I haven't done all the levels yet. After the amazing Returns I had high expectations for this game, and when I found out that (again) key people left at Retro I was a bit iffy. But, they proved me wrong and did it again, they blew away my expectation. It expands on Returns, adding more charm, better music, better bosses and the enviroment feels more interconnected while keeping the tight platforming. A truly great sequel, just like DKC2 was to DKC1 at the time. There were stages where I had a smile on my face, stages where I stared my eyes out at the beautifull scenery and even stages that made me feel nostalgic to Returns. The last world is the best world I have ever played in any platformer. Bravo Retro, this game is a true masterpiece.

9.5/10

Game #9: South Park: The Stick of Truth - 10 hours

Great game. I'm not that much of a fan of South Park, but when it's on TV I usually end up watching it. Game is great to experience, but playing it can be a bit of a dread sometimes. Walking through South Park is really fun, seeing all those places that are not really connected in the TV show form a "real" town in the game is nice. I found that the game had a bit of a slow start, but after the first night things really picked up. It had a lot of funny moments too.

I loved all the little nods to gaming in general. There was this one section that made fun of audiologs in videogames that had me gasping for air. Game is clearly made by people who love videogames and enjoyed making the game and it channels through.

The combat can be really boring at times. I had to take a break every 2 hours because I couldn't stand the combat anymore. There really is no depth to it. Every single one of my battles had the same strategy. Oh and maybe I missed it, but there seems to be no run button for combat. How can you miss something like a run button? When I was max level I really didn't want to fight anything anymore, but I was forced to.

8/10

Game #10: Final Fantasy Tactics: The war of the Lions - 30 hours

I didn't enjoy this game as much as I could, and that is partly my fault and that of the game. Upon starting the game one of the things I hate most showed itself. I was greeted with these three options: "New game","Continue" and ..... "Tutorial". I absolutely hate it when a tutorial is not a part of the game, but just there on the start screen. Now even though I hate it, most of the times it's doable and could have been part of the game anyway. But no, this was different, when opening the tutorial I got greeted with a shitload of options. I did one before giving up. Gaming should be fun and this just felt like learning. So going into the game I had no idea of most of the mechanics and such.

Anyway after finding stuff out on my own I got a little better at it and it became enjoyable. But only for short burst. There just isn't much variety; it's either defeat all the enemies or defeat a boss. Defeat Boss is pretty much; rush the boss and kill him the first or second turn. What also didn't help is that most of the time you spend preparing for battle. The battles are so short that you win in your preperation. Do the battle, die (or get lucky and win) remember the lay-out and pick your team. What I did really like about the game was the story, really nice story, with an awesome ending that took me by surprise.

6/10

Game #11: MDK - 3 hours

I enjoyed it, not really much to say about the game. Apparently it was pretty groundbreaking for it's time, but now it obviously isn't and won't have an impact on me. Had to mess around with the controls for a good hour before playing, the way the PC controls work are so weird. Wish it was a little longer, because I really were enjoying it.
7/10

Game #12: Titanfall - 40 hours

Hadn't really played any competive shooter since MW2, couldn't get into them. But with Titanfall I could get into it again! This game is just so much fun and that is thanks to the freedom of movement. If you can imagine it, you can probably do it and so much awesome moments have come from that. Sometimes crazy things just pop up in your head and when you pull it off (which is not that often, lol) it's just such a great feeling. It just makes you feel good about yourself. Titan combat is really solid and a ton of fun. A lot of mind games involved with it.

The grunts really are useless and often I get really screwed over by them. It doesn't add anything to the game, just confusing. Often times I mistook a grunt for a pilot, resulting in me dying head to head or getting seen on the radar and getting swarmed. Something that's happening a lot to me and not sure what is causing it or if other people have it too is that the killcam shows at least a 1 second gap with what I witnessed. Sometimes I pump a few bullets into an enemy before dying, but in the killcam I haven't shot a single bullet. I wish it had more game modes too, sometimes I just feel like playing without Titan, but auto-Titans suck and get destroyed in no time. That, in turn, leads to the enemies having the upper hand and destroying our teams Titans resulting in you as a pilot being cannon fodder.

8/10

Game #13: Persona 2: Innocent Sin - 37 hours and 38 minutes

Hard to begin with this one. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I liked the setting, the characters and the thought of the game. I hated the combat and the encounter rate. Combat gets dull after a while and the encounter rate is just way too high. I've heard good things about the sequel, Eternal Punishment, so I hope this was just a very mediocre prelogue to that game

6/10

Game #14: Dead Space - 10 hours

Got this for free on Origin and I didn't expect to be in for a ride this good. Survival horror done right. It has tank like movement, but feels a bit faster than other survival horror games. There's a good amount of scarceness and the atmosphere is great too. Like Resident Evil 4, there is a shop where you can better equipment. While in Resident Evil you basicly just save up and buy better guns, in Dead Space there's a little strategy to it. See, you can buy nodes to upgrade your gun, and they are really expensive. Sometimes you have to choose between buying ammo and buying nodes(which will save you ammo in the long run, since it will take less bullets to kill enemies). So you even have to think a bit about what you want to buy, I liked the "shoot off the limbs" part a lot, changes things up a little bit from other games. Story was there to advance the plot, not much to say about it really. All in all I really enjoyed my time with Dead Space and will definitely pick it up again this year to play on nightmare difficulty

9/10

Game #15: Silent Hill 2 - 8 hours

Another horror game and another great one too. Compared to Silent Hill 1 I found this game to be a lot more scary. Just something about the locations that was a lot more scary. During one area
the labyrinth
I felt like a big boss monster could just burst out of no where any second.

Not as much improvements compared to SH1 as I was expecting, camera is still utter shit and the combat is just bad. The melee attacks were even worse than Silent Hill 1, because of weird slash angles or hitting walls(which you could not in SH1). It's a bit of a shame that the bosses in Silent Hill are always so bad. They're either laughably short or way too long. Story and atmosphere are way better than SH1. The cutscenes are lovebly cheesy.

8/10

Game #16: Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos - 2 hours

First non-Japan VN I've enjoyed playing. It mostly helps that it is really short and it's an interesting concept. You are a mediator in training, what they do is interfere in worlds where there is chaos. During your first training shit hits the fan in the world you are in and you try to make the best of it. There's not much to say really, because it's so short, but I still enjoyed it. Would've been better if it was atleast an hour longer so that the choices you make feel more weighty and the interactions between characters would be some more in depth.

7/10

Game #17: Just Cause 2 - 73 hours

The game that has been eating my time for the last 3 weeks. It's just so much fun, I truly believe this is a hidden gem of the 7th gen. It's pretty much your standard fare open world game, only difference is that your character has this claw. I usually don't enjoy open world games, but the claw makes it fun. I think I could mess around with the claw for an infinite amount of time. Not to mention that the world of Just Cause 2, Panau, is beautifull. There are like 300-400 places to go to, which is a little TOO much, but 5-10 of those places almost make you go "holy shit". One area in particular I really liked was a military base in the depths of the jungle. The regular missions that you do aren't anything really special, but they're a nice change of pace every once in a while, which is nice.

Now during 73 hours things get to irk you too. I've had a fair amount of glitches happen during my playtime. Sometimes you just want to clear some villages, but in order to do that you often have to demolish things. This in turn will generate heat which is the typical "omg cops are after you" thing all open world games have. It's almost impossible to avoid having heat and the cops are magnets, they will find you everywhere. Not to mention that after a while they will send helicopters after you. If you don't take them out they will kill you, it's almost impossible to avoid their fire thanks to bad hitboxes. So to take them out you grapple on to them, take out the passenger and then you have to do a little quick time event to get in the helicopter. So now you're in the helicopter, but you don't want to be there, since there is stuff to collect on the ground, so you disembark. By the time all of this has happend the next chopper has arrived, rinse and repeat.

8/10

Game #18: Castlevania - 5 hours

I wanted to challenge myself for a bit, so I thought: "Hey why not go for one of those hard NES games". To be honest, I didn't really think it was hard, more trial and error. Until I got to stage 5 and that final hallway + boss combo decided to fuck me up. I think I have spend more time in that stage than I have in the rest of the game. The final stage was pretty hard too, but way more managable than stage 5. Anyway, stiff controls and huge knock back made the game way harder than it should be. Still enjoyed it

7/10

Game #19: Max Payne 3 - 9 hours

Funny enough, I found this game to be harder than Castlevania, hurray for modern checkpoint systems. Max Payne is always fun, bullet time is awesome and this game in no exception. It was fun to fuck around with the physics and to do some stylin' moves. But I felt like the game didn't really reward the jump and shoot thing, just regular bullet time without any style. Doing a jump drained too much of your bullet time meter and you really need your bullet time to survive. I mean it's good that some modern games are actually difficult again, but in a game like Max Payne, I just want to style my way through the game, run and gun. Not hide behind cover, wait for someone to look up behind cover, activate bullet time and then pick him off. I enjoyed the over the top gruesome story and I mean really gruesome. Some parts were just genuinely "Holy shit, that's nasty". However the thing they did where some of the words in the dialogue appear on the screen made me cringe.

6.5/10

Game #20: Tales of Symphonia - 54 hours

I went into this game without knowing anything about the game, so I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be an action RPG, instead of a turn-based RPG. The story is pretty much your typical RPG story, along with as much twists and turns the developers could come up with and put in the game. Some of the twists were really unnecessary though, some were easily predictable, while others were just laughibly bad. The most common theme in the game seemed to base around racisme, which I found surprising to see in a game. I can't really judge how well they touched on the racism aspect, since I don't have much experience with it, but I thought they handled it pretty well. The most fun parts of the game were the interactions between the characters, they were very nice to read, made you care about the characters.

The combat was okay, it wasn't really complex or anything, a lot of button mashing and abusing one skill (Tempest). When you just keep pre-emptive healing you'll almost never die. There was one feature I didn't really get, something with the Z button while in combat, but I don't think it would have mattered much if I knew what to do with it.

Everything in the game was "okay", an "okay" game with great character interactions

7/10

Game # 21: Transistor - 15 hours

Truly a beautifull game. There was a time, some years ago, where I pleaded that gameplay is the only thing that matters in a game. That was a time when I only played Nintendo games and only owned Nintendo systems. Over the years I have branched out, played almost every genre thinkable on a lot of different platforms and witnessed how wrong I was in this statement. Transistor only makes me realise that more and more. Now I'm not saying that the gameplay is bad, but it's not amazing either. The battle system is unique and fun, but it's definitely not the gameplay that makes this a great game. It's the entire package, art, music, story, they accompany this game so amazingly. Honestly, I would play this game for just the art alone, even if the gameplay had been really bad. Every location is jaw dropping beautifull and just very stylefull. The city of Cloudbank is very well realised and it feels lived in. The game has so many little touches that are very pleasent to look at, or hear. The music is what originally sold me on the game. I remember a friend sending me the link to the OT and after listening to the first song I was positively sure that I had to get this game. Even now, while I'm looking for the song on youtube and those first notes hit me, I get goosebumps. Yes, the soundtrack is THAT good. The story is simple and effective, the way Red and the Sword communicate is genuinly nice to listen to (or observe, since Red lost her voice). I feel like the story is the way it is, because the theme of the story. The theme of the story IS about boring and simple and people trying to break the mold.

8.5/10

Game #22: Mario Kart 8 - 5 hours

Well, what's there to say about Mario Kart other than "it's Mario Kart". Well maybe there is a bit more to say. After being really disappointed by the Wii version this is a return to form on consoles. I feel like the balance is atleast slightly back, some changes I like, some I don't. Online is decent, but has it's hiccups. And even though the game is great and plays well, I don't play it anymore right now. And I blame only just being merely "decent". Why is there no voice chat while in race? I want to hear live reactions to crazy shit that goes on while racing. The tournaments are not great. Everything is just shy from being great. Maybe the DLC will change my mind and atleast add more replayability.

7.5/10

Game #23: Persona 4 Arena - 25 hours

Fighting games, the only one I was atleast a little bit decent in was Soul Calibur 2. Though I always wanted to become good in one, the amount of time that you have to put into one was a bit too much for me, since I like to play all kinds of games. When I got into Persona I also got introduced to Persona 4 Arena. Hearing it was a VN I decided to give it a spin, since if I didn't enjoy the gameplay I atleast had the story to keep me going. After going through all of the character paths I came to the conclusion that it was the story that was a drag and that the gameplay kept me entertained throughout the story mode. The only story path I really enjoyed was the one with Labrys, because it was something else. The other paths ended up being the characters having the same problems as they had in Persona 4, coming to the same conclusions as they had come in Persona 4 and so on. It just felt too much like a repeat of Persona 4, which I already found the extra content in Golden to suffer from.

The gameplay on the other end was a lot of fun and fast. Even I, someone who never got into fighting games, ended up doing some flashy thing (And no, I didn't spam square). It was very easy to pick-up and play. I'm sure that even when I pick up the game now I'll manage to keep up with the CPU's. It also helps when the game is just a joy to look at, it's very chaotic, but for some reason it really fits and the pixel-art is beautifull too.

7/10

Game #24: They Bleed Pixels - 15 hours

Got this game during the Steam sale for a few bucks. Decided to play it when internet kicked the bucket and this was one of the only games I actually finished downloading. I ended up enjoying it. It's a fairly short game, but it has a lot of replayability. The combat system is a bit weird at first, since every moved is coupled to the same button, but you get used to it. Some stages can get a bit hard, but it's all perfectly managable. The platforming itself was pretty good, except for a few weird hiccups where hitboxes are off, or your character doesn't behave as you expected her to. The little story cutscenes that played between dreams were cute too.

7/10

Game #25: Tearaway - 11 hours

Really cute game and a very creative game too. The world is beautifull, so colorfull and just so... cute! If I had to discribe this game in one world it would probably be cute. All the little forest critters having conversations with you or the goofy scientist, they are all so cute. I'm not that creative as a person though and I feel like people who are more creative and can actually create nice things could have had more fun with the game. Sometimes the game asks you to make something and then makes it part of the game (which is really cool). But the things I made always looked like shit and after a while I just gave up on making something pretty and made some half-assed things. The platforming does it part, it's functional, but if the game was a little bit harder I think it would fall flat pretty hard. At times it's really hard to judge where you're going to land. It's good enough to get you through the game. Aside from that there a few little things that annoyed me. Frame rate would get pretty bad at certain points and the sound the camera makes when you make a picture. Even with headphones on the sound would be audible through the speakers and I only noticed this half-way through the game. Which was after the 4 hour plane ride... ehheh... I'm sorry people on the airplane.

7.5/10

Game #26: Touch my Katamari - 15 hours

It's Katamari, it's awesome. The candy system is a bit annoying though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

8/10

Games in the backburner:
  • Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
  • Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright
  • Corpse Party: Book of Shadows
  • Fallout (Now Playing)

Modedude

I'll give this a try, though I have doubts I'll finish 52 games I may as well give it a shot. Haven't quite actually finished any games just yet.

Game #1: Bravely Default (48 hours in)

Just making my way through this at the moment, hope to finish it up soon, though am on Chapter 4 right now. I have been hooked by grinding for all the job abilities.

Yasawas

Building up that Dark Souls 2 buffer nicely:

Game 10: To the Moon (Mac) - Completed 29/1/14. about 4 hours

A recent Humble purchase. Nice story told via the medium of irritatingly clunky indie game. Not bad but hugely overrated and the actual game bits - collect five of these, solve the origami puzzles - felt pointless to me. Glad I never paid £10 for it like I nearly did.

Original post.

Weiss

Banned
Game 7: Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time - 13 hours

As much as I like this game, and boy do I like it, the weapons are more awesome than ever and the graphics are beautiful, I can't help but feel a little disappointed. The story is disjointed between classical wacky R&C antics and Alister's horrible backstory, and splitting the duo for over half the game was lame, since it deprived the Ratchet levels of Clank's utility and humour as a character, and the Clank levels kind of sucked. It was nice having Nefarious back, but he could have done more.

Like I said, I still like it a lot: Easily one of the best games on the PS3.

Lemstar

10: Outland (PS3) - 8h (01/26/14 - 01/29/14)

It's not perfect (I feel like the combat could have been a little more interesting, the game overall could have been a tiny bit less linear, and the storyline might as well not have been there), but that doesn't really detract from the good parts - tight controls, clever usage of the polarity mechanic (especially those boss fights), and great-looking art design.

yaffi

10: Outland (PS3) - 8h (01/26/14 - 01/29/14)

It's not perfect (I feel like the combat could have been a little more interesting, the game overall could have been a tiny bit less linear, and the storyline might as well not have been there), but that doesn't really detract from the good parts - tight controls, clever usage of the polarity mechanic (especially those boss fights), and great-looking art design.

I'm at the final boss and was like meh I can't do this anymore. It really looks too complicated/chaotic for me. But yeah, the art is gorgeous.

TheZjman

Banned
Beaten Pokemon X now, so five games done.

I have no idea where the next complete is coming from though, as i'm playing through several games at the minute.

Nete

All right, there is no way I'm going to complete 52 games, but I'm in. My gigantic backloggery demands it.

1.- Aliens: Colonial Marines - PC - 5 hours
Bought for $2 only to play it in coop with a friend, and we had a blast with it. I have no idea how messy was at launch and even now still have a lot of weird things, but I found it very enjoyable, at least in coop. Played on a single evening at max difficulty.

2.- Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - PC - 17 hours
My first Platinum game ever, and one of the most FUN games I've played in a long time. Beated in Hard the main history, Sam DLC and few VR missions. Is a game I have no doubt I will visit again.

3.- Diablo III: Reaper of Souls closed beta - PC - A gazillion hours
Yep, is a beta and I don't plan to abandon it until it closes, but I have played so many hours I can't help but list it here. Diablo 3 vainilla bored me long time ago, so I'm amazed with all the fun I'm having with this. Really excited for the launch.

Lemstar

I'm at the final boss and was like meh I can't do this anymore. It really looks too complicated/chaotic for me. But yeah, the art is gorgeous.
It's a pretty big step up from the previous boss fights, but if you could make it that far, you can do it.

Tip:
Spend your mana on shields during phases 3 and 5. It'll make things a lot easier.

StingX2

Game 7: Batman Arkham City - 18 hours
I understand why this was praised so highly as the best game of the year by many a few years ago. Aslyum was good but felt very cramped and despite supposedly having many options to clear out rooms it really didn't feel that way. City really presents a lot of variety on handling situations and although I struggled at first I really did get into the atmosphere. There isn't much I'd change about Arkham City except I really did hate the Catwoman parts, a lot.

OP

Game 5: Resident Evil 2 (PS1) - ~3:45 **
Played through Claire A on Normal and got a B rank. Didn't remember this one as fondly as I remembered. :(

Game 6: Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PS1) - 3:59:15 **
First playthrough on Hard mode and ended with a C rank. A bit combat heavy but probably my favorite PS1 era RE game behind the original.

Post updated.

** = replays

stuminus3

So I finished up Cave Story and Gears of War 3 to make that a grand total of 18 games beaten so far in 2014. Done over a third of the challenge in 1 month! :)

As I said earlier though, no way I'm keeping up this pace. I've pushed pretty hard to get this done. I just wanted to get on the right track. I think I'm in a good place now, usually I'm buying games and flip flopping between what I want to play and end up getting nowhere but I'm feeling focussed so I'm stepping off the gas so I don't burn out and lose my momentum. My goal is to beat 52 more games than I buy in 2014 and I think I can do it, no need to force myself to do better than that.

I might make the jump this month to something like Xenoblade or New Vegas because I'd really love to get through at least a couple of those super stupid long games this year. I have most success in beating games < 20 hours long so it'd be nice to do something longer. With that being said I'm thinking I might take our the duration played numbers from my list because I'm getting too hung up on them, it's no fun when I start spending time doing the math.

Updated post here.

Updated post Here

Finished The Last of Us! holy crap that game was awesome!
ending spoilers :
first time I have felt really bad about a good ending... so much for the human race
Now making my wife play through it now so we can discuss it together later. I really enjoyed this game, it deserves all the praise its been given.

Finished The Last Story! overall it wasn't that bad. the first few hours went something like:
"oyea wii games are ugly"
"what the hell is going on why am i here"
"this is stupid why am i fighting a tiger"
"ooh a town... that i can explore!"
and it picked up from there. overall above average, but not by much.

Next up is a link between worlds. so far I'm ahead of schedule for 26 in a year, maybe i can do 52 after all....

LX_Theo

Banned
Ah, seven games done. Finished Lone Survivor late last night before going to bed, and beat the final boss on the original Ratchet & Clank again today. Post is here. My thoughts on each game are there.

Axass

One month two games, unless I squeeze a third one in in the next few days (which I doubt).

Never say never I guess.

Game 3: Space Invaders Extreme 2 - 5-7 hours
Completed all possible paths, finished both time attack and the standard mode. Very nice shooter/puzzle game, it takes the model of the original Space Invaders and makes everything colourful and trippy. The action is great and you have to actually think about what you shoot, many times I started playing for a five minutes session and ended playing for half an hour or more. However if you played the first one of the series, don't bother with this: they're basically the same.

Krafter

Original Post

Finished Jetpack Joyride to complete January with a solid 8 games. On pace for 96 for the entire year, which will likely dip but still way ahead of the 52 target number. My best guess would be that I hit the mark in mid to late August.

Ultryx

Game # 1: Alan Wake (PC) - 10 hrs
Really enjoyed this game. Excellent graphics on PC, fun combat system, and a different experience (basically living/playing a Stephen King novel). I'd been having issues getting into games lately. I think I'm just burned out on FPS titles, so although this is third person, it was a welcome departure from previous titles I've been playing.

Game # 2: Alan Wake's American Nightmare (PC) - 2 hrs
Did not enjoy this DLC at all like I did the original game. I was rushing through it after I figured out I'd be re-doing the same area again and again. That was literally a "nightmare" for me. Anyway at least the combat and controls were the same so I could just pick it up and play. I'm not interested in the arcade mode. Kind of disappointing because it did not have any of the tense atmosphere from the original game.

Game # 3: Pokemon Y (3DS) - 27 hrs 20 mins
I haven't played a Pokemon game since the days of Blue/Red on GBC. I absolutely LOVED Pokemon Y. I will be going back and collecting more Pokemon, participating in the trading, and online battling.

Game # 4: Super Mario 3D Land (3DS) - 6 hrs 15 mins
I haven't had this much fun playing a game in a while. The whole game was a pleasure from beginning to end. I can't get enough of the soundtrack. I think the Goombas with the tails are hilarious. I ordered one off eBay to keep haha. Also, the 3D is excellent, although it takes some getting used to at times.

Bankoiia

Game #6 - Fire Emblem: Awakening Nintendo 3DS 34 Hours
This is the first Fire Emblem game I have ever played beyond the introductory stages. It was fun and I especially enjoyed the social elements of it. The story was pretty standard and the gameplay did everything I expected it to. I kinda regret not playing it on Hard as it got kinda repetitive at the end as I pushed through the last 10 chapters without breaking a sweat. Started a new play through on Hard, but I don't think I'll be coming back to it just yet.

Original post updated!

yaffi

It's a pretty big step up from the previous boss fights, but if you could make it that far, you can do it.

Tip:
Spend your mana on shields during phases 3 and 5. It'll make things a lot easier.

Thanks for the tip, I did it. :D

Still took me around 20 tries.

And that's my fourth game done. It was kinda fun and the color-switching mechanic was well done. There was a noticeable spike in difficulty toward the end that almost killed my enjoyement.

Updated post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95417311&postcount=59

Asparagus

Game 1: The House of the Dead- 1 hour 30 minutes
Not as good as the sequel but it's fun.

Game 2: The House of the Dead: Overkill- 3 hours
It's hard at the start when you only have the stock handgun. Fun though, the story's mental.

Game 3: Inazuma Eleven 2: Firestorm- 33 hour 7 minutes
Gameplay was great, recruiting players was fun, the final chapter did not need to exist and really dragged things out.

Game 4: Spelunky- 15 hours
Still doing the daily challenges. I need more people to compete against though.

Burnburn

Added two more games I completed. You can scroll up for my post, but I'm going to link it here anyway.

Games are: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and Corpse Party

Kimppis

So here's my January.

Updated my post.

My backloggery. Feel free to add.

Finished:

1. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (3DSDL) - 32 hours
So this was the first AA game I ever played. And now I am a fan. Surprisingly long, great writing. The game is full of waifus too. I'm gonna play the DLC case once I complete the earlier games. 4 out of 5.

2. Ratchet & Clank: Nexus (PS3) - 7 hours
Beaten on Legend. A solid entry. Plays it safe. Short and cheap. I love the series. 3 out of 5.

3. Moon (DS) - 11 hours
FPS on the DS. Technically great; smooth frame-rate. Very repetitive, but fun, because touch-screen aiming feels unique and works well. 3 out of 5.

4. Spyro the Dragon (PS) - 12 hours
120% completed. Fun, simple, colourful and easyish. Fuck Tree Tops -> Youtube walkthrough. 3 out of 5.

5. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (PS) - 6 hours
Main storyline finished (53%). The game is fun, but hasn't aged perfectly. Some cheap deaths, questionable camera angles and recycling of old levels. I mean, by today's standards it's odd that the game has 25 levels, but even then all of them are not unique theme-wise! There are like 5 different types of levels. 3 out of 5.

6. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped (PS) - 6 hours
Main storyline finished (31%). Maybe slightly better than its predecessor. Still hasn't aged perfectly and annoying parts are still there. Little more variation: now there are like 6 different level themes, not 5, lol. You play the game for the first time in 2014 and that just feels strange. So yeah, I'm not the biggest fan. Still enjoyable overall. 3 out of 5.

7. Battlefield 4 (PS4) - 15 hours in (multiplayer)
Finished the campaign on Normal in January. I have played the MP more than 10 hours this month, so I though I'll include it in here. My first BF. What can I say? Really fun and I'm slowly getting better, maybe. At one point my K/D-ratio was something like 0.69 and now it's 0.95, I think. Leveling up is very slow, though. Rank 12 currently. 4 out of 5.

At this rate I'm actually gonna make it. Crazy.

Weiss

Banned
Game 8: The World Ends With You - 30 hours

Getting into this game at first was brutal, the combat was hand cripplingly frustrating, and half the time I could barely get anything to work. As it went on I got used to it, and really fell for the characters, aesthetic, and especially the music, but I could never get the best hang on the combat and ended up having to set every boss fight post Minamoto to easy mode. I also felt the shops and character growth systems were sloppy, and the game could have benefited from a more conventional implementation. Still, I liked it well enough, and I wish Square would pump out more original IPs like this in the future.

Jindrael

Banned
Okay LTTP but lets take on this challenge!

My Games 2014:

- January -

1. Valdis Story: Abyssal City (PC - Steam) - Finished in 15 Hours
Great Game had a lot of fun with it might revisit it to play through with a different character :D

2. Broken Age Act 1 (PC - Steam) - Finished in 4 Hours
I will probably count this one only when I have finished the 2nd Act aswell.
Very nice Artstyle, interesting Story ... Sadly really short and way too easy when it comes to the puzzles =/

3. OlliOlli (PsVita) - Finished (Time unclear)
Did everything there is in the game, Spots/Career & RAD mode.
Super fun game definitely recommended!

4. Starbound (PC - Steam) - FInished!?! (52 Hours)
Will be playing this on and off, have finished everything in the current beta phase but will play for the following patches!

5. Spelunky (PsVita) - Finished?? (Hours uncountable)
Got the Ironman Trophy, did Speedlunky.
Hell run still needs to happen.

- February -

6. Toukiden (PsVita) - Finished (60 hours+)
Story mode completed.
Will be dipping into online occasionally with a few friends.
Fun hunting game but gets extremely repetetive because of the low difficulty and almost no variation.

7. Dustforce (PsVita) - Finished
Bad port destroyed my hype =/
Finished the complete game and got all trophies except online and I'm sadly done with it now.

8. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PC) - Finished
Completed!
What a game...was a great experience :D

9. Bravely Default (3DSXL) - FInished (~70 Hours)
Completed the story.
Last chapters were really tedious, but the first half of the game is phenomenal.
Was well worth it :)

- March -

10. Dark Souls II (PS3) - Finished(100 hours+)
Platinumed the game and have already played through it 4-5 times .... What can I say, I like Souls games!

11. Final Fantasy X HD (Vita) - Finished(80hours +)
Still working on the Platinum, need to max some stats and defeat a few Dark Aeons!
Great game :)

12. Daganronpa (Vita) - Currently playing
Still working on this one, I only play it in short bursts whenever I feel like it.

13. Project Diva f (Vita) - Finished (40 hours+)
Got the platinum but that is not saying much, still playing daily and trying to get better.
Will probably only stop when my imported copy of Pdf 2nd gets here!

- April -

14. Project Diva f 2nd(Vita) - Finished (60 hours+)
Got Platinum, still playing.

15. Demon Gaze (Vita) - Currently Playing
Neat 1st Person RPG, I really like it!

16. Dark Souls 2 (PC) - Finished (again :) ) (25 hours)
Now it's PVP time :)

- Future Games -

Hotline Miami (Vita)

FF X-2 HD (Vita)

Virtues Last Reward

Atelier Totori (Vita)

gaiages

Banned
I'm late to the party, but I can always use another reason to try and cut down some of my backlog. My progress is going to be very slow for the next couple months, but after April I think I'll be able to catch up.

Anyway, completed games are in bold. I suppose I'll also only put games I'm (hopefully) not just gonna drop randomly drop to keep my numbers straight, so I'm usually playing more games than I've listed :p

My Backloggery

Game 1: Tales of Destiny - 24h3m
# [Started in 2013] It took a lot of motivation (and a FAQ) to work through the final areas. Overall a great game, I just don't have the patience for vague puzzles anymore.

Game 2: Hector Badge of Carnage Episode 2: Senseless Acts of Justice - ~2h
# [Beat Episode 1 in 2013] I really dislike these games. I'm only playing them to get them out of my unfinished percentage on Backloggery.

Game 3: New Super Mario Bros. U - 7h54m
# [Started in 2013] Stopped in the middle of last year in World 3, decided to go back to in the new year and finish it. I do enjoy the game, and the graphics look neat too, of course. Those World 8 stages were sort of bastardly, though.

Game 4: Drakengard - 14h6m
# [Ending A]. This game pretty much sucks.

Game 5: Drakengard 2 - ??h
# Combat seems better than the first game, at least. Hopefully it'll be a better game than the first overall.

Game 6: Etrian Odyssey IV - ~40h
# [Started in 2013] I've been playing this off and on since its release, and I'm just now making the push to beat it. In the 4th Land, so the end is... well, kind of near.

Game 7: The Wolf Among Us Episode 2 - ~1.5h
# Unfortunately short and felt rushed. Hope Telltale fixes that up with Episode 3.

Game 8: Ys: Memories in Celceta - 19h58m
# [Started in 2013] Pretty great overall. Didn't complete the map or get any of the more challenging trophies, though.

Game 9: Bravely Default - ~55 hours
# True End. Good game for the most part, a few blemishes aside.

Game 10: Hector Badge of Carnage Episode 3: Beyond Reasonable Doom - 3h
# Well, that series is finally over.

Game 11: Fishing Girl - 6m
# Very cute, very short, and very much worth the one dollar I paid for this on XBLIG.

Game 12: Shoot 1UP - ??h
# The idea of it was interesting enough, and there's R-Type inspiration abound, but I found it a bit boring overall.

Game 13: The Walking Dead Season 2 Episode 2: A House Divided - ~2h
# The decision of the century... what table to sit at!?

Game 14: Dyfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos - ~2 h-
# Very interesting premise, but so short.

Game 15: Weapon Shop de Omasse - 9h05min
# Ultimately disappointing.

Game 16: Thomas Was Alone - ~4h
# Really quite fun and the narrative was cool, and it didn't overstay its welcome.

Game 17: Eversion - 20min
# MOTHER

Game 18: Hate Plus - ~3h
# Felt sorta tacked on to the intricate set-up of the first game's intricate atmosphere. Finished *Mute's path, and compared to hers, didn't think it was worth playing through the others. Also, the forced waiting was rather dumb.

Game 19 - Cherry Tree High Comedy Club! - 2h35m
# Fun, basically "Persona Social Links: The Game", although there's some flaws that kinda make the whole building up friendships thing a little more difficult/hard to track than it should be.

Sendou

Updates all around:

Weeks gone 4. Games beaten 8.

My Backloggery.

Game 1: Portal 2 - 21 hours according to Steam which may or may not be accurate.
# I had played the singleplayer a year or two ago. Now I finally got around playing the co-op (shoutouts to Burnburn). Absolutely stellar game. I will probably try the user made content next but for now I'm considering this game beaten since I have beaten Valve's content.

Game 2: Super Mario 3D World - 41 hours 43 minutes according to Wii U logs. It's accurate but also contains some idling.
# Completed it 100%. All stamps (which includes completing each level with all characters), all green stars and all golden flagpoles. A really fun game! EAD Tokyo still has it. At first I was slightly negative about the game but it grew on me the more I played. The last level was really hard and took me between 200 and 300 tries.

Game 3: The Last of Us - No idea how long it took.
# Completed on normal without using the listening mode. Impactful game to say at least. I just want to see a day where a video game of this scale can tell a powerful story without adding a massacre to the mix. Presentation of this title was just outstanding. Gameplay wasn't bad either it just wasn't as good.

Game 4: Cook, Serve, Delicious! - 30 hours according to Steam.
# Good game. Considering it beaten now that I have a 5-star restaurant, extra challenges done (except the very last), all foods bought and upgraded and all equipment purchases (not counting the very last few or even one from ClickStarter). Remaining content including the final renovation would just include too much grinding and I don't find it one. I already saw most of the content of the game. I enjoyed the game. Really a quality title even if a little repetitive. There's just something fundamentally satisfying about the gameplay. Of course we never have enough food related video games.

Game 5: Gone Home - 6 hours according to Steam
# Played the game once through and second time with the developer commentary. I really enjoyed the experience. It tries something different and I think it works. Developer's commentary was nice too. What I didn't find nice were numerous bugs which in an experience as short and controlled as this are unacceptable in my opinion.

Game 6: Fez - 15 hours according to Steam. At least 7 hours of that is idling.
# Reached credits. I gotta love this game for what it is. That being the case even if it isn't really for me. That cryptology stuff just isn't what I'm looking from my games. That said the easy half of he puzzles I beat I enjoyed. Presentation is just outstanding too.

Game 7: Shin Megami Tensei IV - 59 hours 42 minutes including idling
# Got the Law ending on Prentice difficulty (lowered the difficulty to Fellow for final boss just because it was a pain in the ass and I didn't feel like grinding). Completed a good amount of side quests too but not everything. More in the beginning than towards the end. I feel pretty torn about the game. On the other hand I feel like it's a solid package. OST deserves an extra mention. It's just spectacular. Then there are the parts I didn't enjoy. The developers really seem to love that certain trial & error gameplay. There is a lot of that in this game. The game is very confusing too. I had to refer to a FAQ for more than once. They don't do a very good job of explaining where is that certain Japanese sounding place you need to go. For having low production values (2D sprites heavily used etc.) the price is high. In summarision I'm glad it's over. Now I only need to play Kid Icarus and I have beaten all of my 3DS retail games. Too bad it's region locked and I can't therefore use my XL.

Game 8: OlliOlli - No idea how long it took.
# Beaten every stage (both amateur and pro) with the exception of one challenge that is just too impossible for me to waste more time trying to complete it. Got 9 trophies out of 12. This is actually a pretty nice game. It's just as addicting as everyone says. Too bad about the missing leaderboards. I could have easily seen many extra hours in front of me if only it had them. Also several technical problems like rather frequent crashes are really unfortunate. Behind all this is yet another brilliant indie title for Vita that I can really recommend for everyone if the core concept seems even distantly appealing.

Next up NES Remix (I wonder what I'll consider beaten here. Maybe all stages with three rainbow stars but we'll see), Persona 4 Arena, Left 4 Dead 2 and Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons.

Bii

Just finished my 8th and 9th game. I haven't decided what I'll play next but it's either going to be Liberation Maiden (should be short), Batman: Arkham Asylum or Pokemon Y (already 12 hours in).

Game 8: Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm (PC) - Approximately 10.0 hours played

# The campaign was much better and more interesting than Wings of Liberty. I completed all 27 missions on Normal even though I could have skipped some of the last few evolution missions.

Game 9: Jamestown (PC) - 1.2 hours played

# Completed Story mode on Legendary. The first four levels were rather easy with the last level having a difficulty spike compared to the others. I was running out of lives but managed to defeat the final boss without losing any. I don't think I'll tackle any of the levels on Divine/Judgment.

Original post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95490358&postcount=198

Asparagus

Game 1: The House of the Dead- 1 hour 30 minutes
Not as good as the sequel but it's fun.

Game 2: The House of the Dead: Overkill- 3 hours
It's hard at the start when you only have the stock handgun. Fun though, the story's mental.

Game 3: Inazuma Eleven 2: Firestorm- 33 hour 7 minutes
Gameplay was great, recruiting players was fun, the final chapter did not need to exist and really dragged things out.

Game 4: Spelunky- 15 hours
Still doing the daily challenges. I need more people to compete against though.

Game 5: Final Fantasy: All the Bravest- 2 hours 30 minutes
Well, I can't say it was good but it was short an free. Nice sprites to.

Updated post.

Game 7: Resident Evil: Code Veronica X HD (PS3) - 11hrs on the dot nearly
First full playthrough of this game for me. My second favorite classic RE behind REmake. Not one of my finer moments as a hardcore survival horror fan though. D rank, 21 saves, and 11 retries. I thought I was trapped at the first Alexia boss fight because I only had the knife but I finally got through.

Game 8: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS3) - ~3 and a half hours
Short and sweet. Probably my second favorite game released in 2013. (Just behind TLOU)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom