• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Jiggy

Agent Unknown said:
-Jiggy who is that girl character in your avatar?
Colette from Tales of Symphonia.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'd bet ZAMN went down the way it did because of licensing. There isn't any of that sort of obstruction for the SEGA titles, especially the ones that have been released here in collections, so I guess just hold tight.
I'm sure the Phantasy Stars are safe. Gleylancer's the potential issue, since it's an import title. I'm not too worried about it--just saying I hope nothing went wrong. Certainly we've seen games get rated and then not go up for months before. :/

What are the chances of Starfox 2 comming to VC? I am looking at videos of it on youtube because someone posted the credits in another thread and it looks pretty awesome. Is it far along? would Nintendo be awesome enough to put it on?

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Linkzg said:
What are the chances of Starfox 2 comming to VC? I am looking at videos of it on youtube because someone posted the credits in another thread and it looks pretty awesome. Is it far along? would Nintendo be awesome enough to put it on?

Star Fox 2 is a surprisingly good game, but I wouldn't expect it on the VC. Somehow, I just don't see Nintendo putting an unfinished beta up on the service.

sw21.jpeg
sw21.jpeg
sw21.jpeg
sw21.jpeg

I Am Canadian: Did you ever get a chance to play R-TYPE Delta for PSX? I'm mentioning it again because it's more blasting than memory. One thing that also helps big time is your R-9 can touch the floors and walls. Also has excellent weapon variety.

Linkzg said:

I wish they'd just give us SNES SF period. What's the hold up with the SFX chip games, guys? My big hope is that the delay of this and YI means new Yoshi and new SF for Wii.

Iam Canadian said:
Star Fox 2 is a surprisingly good game, but I wouldn't expect it on the VC. Somehow, I just don't see Nintendo putting an unfinished beta up on the service.

how far along is it? the footage on youtube has people finishing the game with ending scenes and all.

Agent Unknown said:
I wish they'd just give us SNES SF period. What's the hold up with the SFX chip games, guys? My big hope is that the delay of this and YI means new Yoshi and new SF for Wii.

yeah, they have to hurry that up.

Iam Canadian

Agent Unknown said:
I Am Canadian: Did you ever get a chance to play R-TYPE Delta for PSX? I'm mentioning it again because it's more blasting than memory. One thing that also helps big time is your R-9 can touch the floors and walls. Also has excellent weapon variety.

No, actually, I haven't, but it sounds good.

Linkzg said:
how far along is it? the footage on youtube has people finishing the game with ending scenes and all.

The actual game seems to be finished, but I have no idea how buggy it is.

Mockingbird said:
IS Super R-Type an entirely different R-type game from the other ones? Or is it a port of R-Type from Tubro Gfx?

Super R-Type is essentially R-Type II, slightly altered (all level checkpoints are removed, so when you die you restart the level (though you have infinite continues), one level was removed (but a new level was added instead of it), and a few other minor things).

It's hard and frustrating, but completely beatable if you just memorize it... it's a good game. Just don't be surprised by the massive, massive slowdown. :) (But really, in games like this one or Gradius III, the slowdown is half of why the game is playable!)

The only other home versions of R-Type II were for the Game Boy (R-Type II), Game Boy Color (as part of R-Type DX), Playstation (R-Types, collection of the arcade versions of the first two games), and... anything else? Atari ST and Amiga, I think... but that might be it. R-Type I got ported everywhere, but rest of the R-Type games have fewer releases.

Even though I had R-Type DX before getting Super R-Type (I didn't have a SNES until a couple of years ago), it was worth it, because because of the much larger graphics, different level, restart-the-level-when-you-die challenge, slowdown (DX has a bit of slowdown, and plenty of sprite flicker, but that's nothing compared to Super R-Type's slowdown...), etc. I actually finished Super R-Type... and I've only finished some of the SNES shmups I have (finished BlaZeon, Super R-Type, and Space Megaforce and that's it... and I also have Gradius III (I have gotten to the second-to-last boss, though...), Axelay, Space Invaders, Super E. D. F., and Phalanx. Plus Hyper Zone and Star Fox if you count rail shooters.

On the other hand, I enjoy PLAYING Gradius, Axelay, BlaZeon, etc, over and over, while with the R-Type games, it's more like "Okay, I'll play this though once, but that's it!". I beat R-Type DX once, for instance, in DX mode... and only once. Meanwhile, I'd played Gradius: The Interstellar Assault (such an amazing, amazing game! One of my all-time favorite shmups... but anyway...) like fifteen times. R-Type is good, but once you solve the puzzles, I have found that dealing with that frustration again just doesn't seem worth it...

yeah, they have to hurry that up.

At this point I'm seriously wondering if they're ever going to bother... The complete lack of games from all Western developers not named "Rare" (Nintendo just doesn't seem to be interested), Super FX support, maybe support for those other SNES addon chips (and NES ones too? not sure), N64 controller pak (memory card), expansion pak, and rumble pak support (all three are really badly needed!), better video quality in TG-16 games... all of these things and more have been problems since day one, and Nintendo has fixed none of them. I'm not really expecting them to start now.

Jiggy

A Black Falcon said:
At this point I'm seriously wondering if they're ever going to bother... The complete lack of games from all Western developers not named "Rare" (Nintendo just doesn't seem to be interested), Super FX support, maybe support for those other SNES addon chips (and NES ones too? not sure), N64 controller pak (memory card), expansion pak, and rumble pak support (all three are really badly needed!), better video quality in TG-16 games... all of these things and more have been problems since day one, and Nintendo has fixed none of them. I'm not really expecting them to start now.
Kirby's Dreamland 3 is rated and uses a different chip from the usual SNES games, so that's one step. But only one. :( It's getting worrisome.

As for the TG16 thing, there was a recent GAF thread where someone from Hudson came and had a Q&A session with us, and he said that what's being done with that system is intentional on their part.

Jiggy37 said:
Kirby's Dreamland 3 is rated and uses a different chip from the usual SNES games, so that's one step. But only one. :( It's getting worrisome.

As for the TG16 thing, there was a recent GAF thread where someone from Hudson came and had a Q&A session with us, and he said that what's being done with that system is intentional on their part.

NES add-on chips do seem to be covered, actually. Kirby's Adventure, for instance, definitely has one (which, among other things, I think makes it one of the only battery-backed NES games that you don't have to hold down the reset button when turning off the system...). But SNES... so far, I don't know of any games with add-on chips that have been released... Kirby 3 would indeed show that they're working on it, at least, though.

As for TG-16... saw that thread, but missed that answer. Why would they want poor video quality on purpose? Oh well... that's less important than those other things, I would certainly say. Being able to play games at all comes before the best video quality.

BooJoh

I'd love if they could actually make Super FX games run smoother or in higher resolutions, but I'm certainly not holding my breath. I'd almost forgotten how great the original StarFox soundtrack was until I unlocked the Corneria song in Brawl. I love Koji Kondo as much as the next guy, but the SNES StarFox's music just stood out more for me.

andthebeatgoeson

Is there some large list online that is easily readable on which games are out? I have long stopped following the release lists each week and wanted to make sure I didn't miss something awesome, like Jet Force Gemini (prayer and a dream).

Ranger X

Jiggy37 said:

Yeah i think he didn't get my question when i asked him. We know its a god damned choice. I was just telling them it's a bad choice and that their emulation looks more cheap compared to the others as a result. Oh well, i'll go back and cry alone in my cave. :lol

Oh wait, i'll invite Jarrod for a beer if he wants. lol

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
wooooo spelunker. my first nes game! got a nes for xmas, with mario, i got spelunker and younger bro got popeye, so naturally i proclaimed we play my game first.

balls hard

Kuramu

Spelunker was my second NES game. Very bad, even then. Seriously broken; death is handed out for tripping over your shoelaces.

Jiggy

http://kirby.classicgaming.gamespy.com/info/kirby101/kirbycreator.html

You know, I'd read this page before, but as I was looking it over today, something new jumped at me:
There was no doubt some tension leading to the creation of the Nintendo 64 for Sakurai. As the original Kirby's Air Ride was being developed, the release dates kept on being pushed further and further away until one fateful day it was cancelled. No real reason has ever been established why.

As word grew that the development team were going to begin a new Kirby platform game for Nintendo 64 instead, word quickly spread that Sakurai would not work on the game in any form. In fact, Sakurai commented that he would not let himself get involved. Supposedly Sakurai never even laid eyes on the game until it was released, where he played it for the first time himself with the rest of the public.
If this is true, that would explain why Kirby 64 is so very much different from worse than nearly every other Kirby game; I could feel something was off. Just more fuel for my "don't buy Kirby 64 on VC" and "do buy Kirby Ultra Super Deluxe on DS (when it's out)" campaigns, I suppose.

Jiggy37 said:

John Master Lee said:
There's a reason why the graphics look different. I'm just not sure I can talk about it in detail, and whether it can be addressed.

I don't find that answer very satisfactory.

Downloaded Super R-TYPE today. Man, I love the analog stereo sound certain SNES games like this have. However, the short yet dramatic bass noise when the title first appears "hiccups." Anyone else notice this? I compared it with the title screen on my PSP's Super R-TYPE rom and the VC title sound effect is definitely off. Have played to level 3 though and so far all other music and gameplay seems spot on. Brings back memories of playing it on a SNES demo station in a Captron store back in 1991. :) I'll never forget the rush I got the first time I unleashed that 2nd level charge shot. :O

BooJoh said:
I'd love if they could actually make Super FX games run smoother or in higher resolutions, but I'm certainly not holding my breath. I'd almost forgotten how great the original StarFox soundtrack was until I unlocked the Corneria song in Brawl. I love Koji Kondo as much as the next guy, but the SNES StarFox's music just stood out more for me.

PC emulators run Super FX games at high framerates of course (optionally), but since the Wii's emulation is so, so far behind PC emulation in so many ways (one more I didn't mention: free use of savestates), yeah, I wouldn't expect it either. :(

All of the 3d Super FX games (Vortex, Star Fox, Stunt Race FX, Dirt Trax FX, the unreleased-but-out-there-in-roms Star Fox 2, and perhaps Doom (not sure if it helps the framerate there) are so, so much better with good framerates...

Jiggy37 said:

You know, I'd read this page before, but as I was looking it over today, something new jumped at me:
If this is true, that would explain why Kirby 64 is so very much different from worse than nearly every other Kirby game; I could feel something was off. Just more fuel for my "don't buy Kirby 64 on VC" and "do buy Kirby Ultra Super Deluxe on DS (when it's out)" campaigns, I suppose.

Yeah, coming from the great GB and GBC titles (didn't have an SNES back then), Kirby 64 disappointed me a lot... that would make sense.

Of course most of the SNES games were great too, as was the NES one, but after that... Kirby 64 and Kirby Air Ride just weren't that good, sadly. And I like Kirby and still love the early titles. Of the newer ones, the best one has to be Canvass Curse...

Iam Canadian

The Kirby series went into a bit of a slump after the phenomenal Kirby Super Star. Dream Land 3 was slow, boring, and mediocre. Kirby 64 was also slow and mediocre, but not quite as bad as Kirby's Dream Land 3. The franchise didn't really return to its former glory until Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land, in my opinion.

Jiggy

So I finally sunk an hour and a half into DoReMi Fantasy. Or technically not quite: the Wii menu reads an hour and twenty-seven minutes. In any case, putting aside that it's all still in Japanese (doesn't affect things much), this is a really excellent little platformer that shows bundles of creativity and attention to small detail. I almost hesitate to make the comparison, but in sheer terms of inventive environments this is quite possibly the shorter, more lighthearted 2D equivalent of Super Mario Galaxy.

I mean, I've only seen three worlds of the seven and so far I've been platforming on growing
Pinocchio noses
party poppers
that repeatedly launch me upward, various musical instruments that all make different sound effects, including
timpani drums
that provide a big launch, pyramids made out of
empty wine glasses that begin to fill from the top down once you jump on them
, falling
cookies
mice poking their heads in and out of holes
, and big
wine bottles that pop Milon out at a diagonal angle
... Why can't more games be like this? Not to mention some static
trees
and
statues
that have changes in animation when standing on top of them, or obstacles like giant
forks and knives that attack you as you make your way up an enormous cake
. It's incredible how the designers basically seem to have thought they could successfully create platforms out of anything, and then went on to do just that, while also adding great stylistic touches. Even putting aside the platforms, the way Milon himself animates makes him look really full of life.

As for everything else, well--the controls are perfectly responsive. The music is great when it's trying to be catchy and great when it's trying to be mellow and hang in the background. The level design is a bit simple and short, but no moreso than something like Super Mario Bros. 3. Except for the bosses (who aren't that hard anyway), the enemies are seemingly intentional pushovers in order to keep more focus on the platforming, and extra health is abundant anyway. At least based on what I've played, I'd call DoReMi Fantasy one of the best platformers on the SNES. If Hudson still has it in them, I'd really like to see this series make a comeback--even moreso than Star Soldier and Neutopia, though I've had nothing but praise for those two franchises in this thread as well.

BooJoh

Ranger X said:
Yeah i think he didn't get my question when i asked him. We know its a god damned choice. I was just telling them it's a bad choice and that their emulation looks more cheap compared to the others as a result. Oh well, i'll go back and cry alone in my cave. :lol

Oh wait, i'll invite Jarrod for a beer if he wants. lol
His answer came across as a little bizarre to me.
John Master Lee said:
Ranger X gets +5 Persistence points. Level up!

To be honest, I don't have a full answer on this, because much of our VC business is managed from Japan. We simply have a calendar of releases we see in the US, without much insight into how the technology comes about on our side. That being said, I do hear your concern that if you played the original games, the emulated version does look different. And we are aware of it. Please understand that we are also following the guidelines and rules of how emulation should work as defined by the policies in place. So while other publishers seem to provide alternatives in emulation, we seem to be sticking to what we were originally told to do. There's a reason why the graphics look different. I'm just not sure I can talk about it in detail, and whether it can be addressed. In other words, what you see isn't "broken". It's deliberately done.
It's almost like he's saying the other companies are doing something wrong in providing more accurate emulation, and that there's some sort of policy preventing Hudson from fixing it.

BooJoh said:

It's almost like he's saying the other companies are doing something wrong in providing more accurate emulation, and that there's some sort of policy preventing Hudson from fixing it.
It makes me think it has to do with some policy dictating scaling to 480p and that they interpret it as necessitating the filter. However, TG16 games being the same resolution as NES/SNES games, it doesn't make sense they'd need to be scaled any differently.

Ranger X

BooJoh said:

That sounds like bull. :|

JCX

Jiggy37 said:

I bought kirby 64 because I remembered it being better than it is. I definitely have buyer's remorse on that one.

Iam Canadian

jjasper said:
Just wondering, in Lords of Thunder is it even worth using anything besides the Water Armor?

I actually used the Earth Armour for every stage except for the bottom-left one. On that stage, I did use the Water Armour. Otherwise, Earth Armour for life.

Jiggy37 said:
So I finally sunk an hour and a half into DoReMi Fantasy.....
I mean, I've only seen three worlds of the seven.....
(impressions)
Except for the bosses (who aren't that hard anyway)
The bosses in the first two worlds are extremely easy, but the rest of them can be pretty difficult -- they take a lot longer to kill and have a wider variety of attacks, some of which can be very tricky to avoid.

Jiggy

nincompoop said:
The bosses in the first two worlds are extremely easy, but the rest of them can be pretty difficult -- they take a lot longer to kill and have a wider variety of attacks, some of which can be very tricky to avoid.
I got to the fifth boss and I finally see what you mean.

Capndrake

No European update yet (It's Good Friday this week - Last year it meant the update was Thursday instead), but seeing as last year they put the games up mid-day and not at midnight (CET), that might happen again now.

Jiggy

Beat DoReMi Fantasy yesterday and it's become probably my third favorite platformer on SNES, behind Yoshi's Island and Donkey Kong Country 2 but ahead of Super Mario World. [Edit: And keeping in mind that I don't consider Kirby Super Star a platformer, but an action game. Not much to platforming when you've got a character who can fly.]

The creativity I was talking about earlier kind of dropped out in worlds 4-6, which were the obligatory
fire, ice, and water
worlds in some order, but came back for world 7. The difficulty level did eventually jump, particularly on the bosses, who could be at least a bit rough from the fifth world on.

Overall the game kind of reminds me of Super Princess Peach, except that all of the things that went wrong with SPP weren't repeated here. The hit detection is better, Milon doesn't have a broken amount of life, there are only five items necessary to collect per world (one in each level), and the music is great instead of generic.

I actually liked SPP quite a bit in spite of its flaws, mind you, and really want to see a sequel to that game (and am hoping for it, considering that Nintendo went so far as to do one of their NPD press releases with Peach's character), so I should mention where the good aspects of the comparison come in: the platforming is quick and never overbearing, everything has color and charm, the level design seems to strike a good balance of simplicity and moments that make you think for just a second or two, the difficulty level is similar to SPP if SPP had replaced its permanent buyable upgrades that made things much too easy with temporary upgrades that could be lost, and the bosses have a kind of difficulty that I really appreciate, in the sense that they're certainly elevated over the rest of the game (which is good, since they're bosses), but never cheap or unfair.

A great game overall.

I was randomly browsing Wikipedia for insight into the whole mess of which Kong character appears in the original DK arcade game and at the same time was looking at some of the Star Fox pages. According to Wiki, SF 64 is actually a remake of the original game? I always assumed it was a sequel, but is this something Nintendo has admitted to themselves?

MoogPaul

EphemeralDream said:
I was randomly browsing Wikipedia for insight into the whole mess of which Kong character appears in the original DK arcade game and at the same time was looking at some of the Star Fox pages. According to Wiki, SF 64 is actually a remake of the original game? I always assumed it was a sequel, but is this something Nintendo has admitted to themselves?

the plot and most of the stages are pretty much he same.

Capndrake

EphemeralDream said:
I was randomly browsing Wikipedia for insight into the whole mess of which Kong character appears in the original DK arcade game
It's pretty much settled that that's Cranky now. The confusing part is who DK in Donkey Kong (GB) and Mario vs. Donkey Kong 1 and 2 is (Since he wears a tie, but Donkey Kong Jr. doesn't hate Mario at all), and if Cranky is DK (Jr.)'s father or grandfather.

I know too much about this.

EphemeralDream said:

Wiki is full of shit, it's a 100% sequel I have both SF and SF64 so I can confirm this!

Iam Canadian

EphemeralDream said:

Star Fox 64 apparently replaces the SNES Star Fox in the storyline. So in that sense, it's a remake. Star Fox 64 retcons the original in several ways - James McCloud's death is different (in the original, Andross attaches a bomb to James' fighter, which explodes and creates the black hole level in the original), Andross' motives are different (Andross apparently was in love with James' wife or something), and there's no mention of Star Wolf or Pigma anywhere.

I'm pretty sure this was all in the old Nintendo Power comics, so I'm not sure how canonical they were, but I'm pretty sure at least some of this stuff (mainly the death of James creating the black hole) is definitely official.

Capndrake said:
It's pretty much settled that that's Cranky now. The confusing part is who DK in Donkey Kong (GB) and Mario vs. Donkey Kong 1 and 2 is (Since he wears a tie, but Donkey Kong Jr. doesn't hate Mario at all), and if Cranky is DK (Jr.)'s father or grandfather.

I know too much about this.
I assume the DK character in SMK is the same one from DK (GB) and MvDK and not the DKC one?

I guess the easy thing to do in this case is blame Rare.

Capndrake

EphemeralDream said:
I assume the DK character in SMK is the same one from DK (GB) and MvDK and not the DKC one?

I guess the easy thing to do in this case is blame Rare.
Probably. I think TMK's got a complete list of all the different times Cranky's been called "father" and "grandfather", and a whole list of who's been said to be the original arcade DK, it's not just Rare who made us all confused.

EDIT: Here it is: http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/kongtroversy.shtml

Jiggy

Capndrake said:
And a double post because the EU VC update is indeed early:

-Mega Turrican!
Awesome. :D Guess I'll hope for this on Monday, so I can't quite say something like "Man, can't wait to see how much gaming excellence we won't be getting." And unlike Super Turrican, I've never played this one at all.

MoogPaul said:
how come gorillas age but people (mario) don't?
I guess there's a reason they call him "Super" Mario.

Jiggy37 said:
Awesome. :D Guess I'll hope for this on Monday, so I can't quite say something like "Man, can't wait to see how much gaming excellence we won't be getting." And unlike Super Turrican, I've never played this one at all.

Mega Turrican is unlikely for Monday, unfortunately. Sega had their PR for the month that indicated that Puyo Puyo Tsuu and Powerball would be their March North American releases, so the earliest we'll see Mega Turrican is April.

Top Bottom