• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jiggy37 said:
modea15_080317k-l.jpg

This is perhaps the most well-posed picture the Dojo has ever had.
Wow that picture is fricken awesome! :D

Firestorm

He takes out the sword he stole from the six Sages and takes a look at it.

screenshot

... Then puts it away.

What are you putting it away for? Use it! People tend to make fun of Ganondorf for this.

XD XD OH MY GOD :lol :lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
"What are you putting it away for? Use it! People tend to make fun of Ganondorf for this."

ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS :lol

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Sakurai said:
What are you putting it away for? Use it! People tend to make fun of Ganondorf for this.

:lol :lol :lol

Even Sakurai realizes how lame it is that Ganondorf never uses his sword!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Iam Canadian said:
:lol :lol :lol

Even Sakurai realizes how lame it is that Ganondorf never uses his sword!

I think its pretty awesome myself. I like hand to handers more than sword users. And he describes exactly how I feel about GDorf's attack. They feel right

Dreavus

Yes! I was waiting for this update. It's always good to see Ganondorf destroying Link for once. :D

And WOW at that sword comment... It's like he knows exactly what we're all thinking, and then just laughs at us. :lol

Jiggy

I really enjoyed playing as Ganondorf in Melee, but in Brawl I've had even less success with him than with characters like Sonic who I inherently just don't understand. Missing L-cancelling kind of destroyed him--although, of course, I may come to change my mind in the future if I figure something out.

Jiggy

-Ganondorf is revealed as the 34th character profile (only the 3rd on a Tuesday, by the way, with the others being Bowser and Yoshi) along with the 31st special moves update and the 30th final smash.

-Our five least recent update types are now Poke Ball, how to play, music, game mode, stage. Again, ignoring normal items since we're probably done with those.

-Zelda moves from 10 updates to 13, passing Star Fox's 11.

-Ganondorf debuts with 18 screenshots, enough to pass Falco, Ness, Squirtle, Ivysaur, R.O.B., Mr. Game & Watch, and Sheik. It would almost be enough to pass Captain Falcon, except that Falcon appeared in one shot and moved to 19.

-Yoshi gets one shot and passes Donkey Kong. Snake gets one shot and passes fellow free-for-all expert Ike.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Crushed said:
Ganondorf isn't fat and slow and useless!

He's uh... "stout"! That's it!
I thought he was too slow in Brawl to be worth anything but my friend showed me otherwise. He lost a little speed but feels so much stronger now.

The new Neutral A packs a punch.

EDIT: Fixed.

webrunner

Halycon said:
I thought he was too slow in Brawl to be worth anything but my friend showed me otherwise. He lost a little speed but feels so much stronger now.

The new Neutral A packs a kick.

I thought it was a punch

NeonZ

Crushed said:
There must be a secret code to unlock his sword moves.

I wonder if it would hurt to just allow Ganondorf to handle that sword like a random close-range item, the beam sword, fan or homerun bat... : / Bah. Ganondorf's moveset was my biggest disappointment about Sakurai's design decisions.

It seems that he feared negative reactions from SSBM Ganondorf players, so just build on him, rather than scrapping that moveset, even though Ganondorf should be in Smash Bros due to the Zelda series, not to Melee. I suppose it's the same line of thought that eliminated Mewtwo from the Smash series, but kept Falco...

Even the original special attacks that Ganondorf got (Unconnected Up B and new Forward B) aren't based on anything from the Zelda games, and neither is the purple energy (It should be yellow. Yellow). The only move that's actually based on the Zelda games is the new Forward A.

During the GDC conference Sakurai talked about trying to make the characters feel close to their original versions, even tweaking the trajectory of Mario's and Samus' jumps to achieve that, but he doesn't seem to have followed that method at all for Ganondorf.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
During the GDC conference Sakurai talked about trying to make the characters feel close to their original versions, even tweaking the trajectory of Mario's and Samus' jumps to achieve that, but he doesn't seem to have followed that method at all for Ganondorf.
I didn't know there was a 2D sidescroller where you played as ganondorf

NeonZ

jooey said:

So characters can only have proprieties and signature movements if they appear in 2d side scrollers?

jooey said:
You never played the super-secret 4th CDI game?:D

In regards to Ganondorf...I was really hoping for his Wind Waker incarnation, as it was undoubtedly his shining moment. Badass dual-sword wielding death ninja. He'd have totally become my main.

RocketDarkness said:
You never played the super-secret 4th CDI game?:D

In regards to Ganondorf...I was really hoping for his Wind Waker incarnation, as it was undoubtedly his shining moment. Badass dual-sword wielding death ninja. He'd have totally become my main.

That would have been neat. But I do love his armor from TP. Very menacing.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
NeonZ said:
So characters can only have proprieties and signature movements if they appear in 2d side scrollers?
well, you used the jumping example, and ganondorf hasn't been a big jumper. basically I think you brought up the GDC thing without really knowing what he meant and hoping it would support your complaint.

NeonZ

jooey said:
well, you used the jumping example, and ganondorf hasn't been a big jumper. basically I think you brought up the GDC thing without really knowing what he meant and hoping it would support your complaint.

He floats all the time in OoT, jumps well in WW... and, ok, doesn't really jump in TP (besides that one slash),
though he still floated around while controlling Zelda

Besides, jumping was obviously just an example, not the entire meaning of his speech. His point clearly wasn't that correct jumping is fundamental in the design of Smash characters, but that they must feel as close as possible to their original incarnations, and the different jumps are one way to achieve that. Yet, there's almost no effort at all to make Ganondorf match his original presentation. As I've mentioned multiple times, his energy isn't even supposed to be purple...

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Is it just me or does Sakurai make Ganondorf seem like a dork in this update? :lol

I'm really disappointed in Brawl Ganon. It just seems lazy to me that he still has some Captain Falcon abilities and animations left in his moveset. I mean, the character select screen isn't even lined up the way it was in Melee anymore to show clones, so WHY are two COMPLETELY UNRELATED CHARACTERS still partial clones? Mario and Luigi and Falco and Fox are acceptable... but Ganondorf and Captain Falcon? After all these years it still doesn't make sense.

I mean, isn't the reason that Ganondorf was a CF clone because they didn't have enough development time in Melee to do otherwise? Thats always the impression I was under. Why in the world didn't they remedy this for Brawl, then? It boggles the mind! Also if you guys are wondering, it's not just Gdorf's B-moves that represent CF... although they did give Ganon some new animations and new A moves, many of his A moves and Smashes are still identical to CF.

Anyway now that I got that rant out of the way... I wish Ganon was a more effective character in Brawl. :p Sure he's got power... but the dude has WAY less range than Ike and is MUCH more slower than Ike. It just doesn't seem fair. T_T

BTW one last thing, about the sword: What they SHOULD have done was given Ganondorf a partial-sword, partial-hand-to-hand moveset. By which I mean, he always carried the sword in one hand but half of his attacks used punches with his other hand or kicks, and half used the sword. (For example, keep the forward-B where he grabs peeps and holds them up... (I love that move), but give him some sword slices for his smashes rather than his retarded elbowing crap) It would have been the ultimate compromise and would have made Ganon still seem unique from the other swordsman. :/

Jiggy

What really gets me is that they did a ton to differentiate Falco even further from Fox this time around--new neutral air, new forward air, new side smash, new down special, new neutral A combo, new up tilt--but for Ganondorf the only things they changed were his side special, which isn't very much different anyway, his down tilt, which nobody ever uses (except in the CD factory design where one conveyor belt is above another to create a ceiling effect; it's bloody incredible in that situation!), and his side tilt, which was way better in Melee.

MrCheez

I love this game. LOVE IT. Probably my favorite game ever.

But I still have some big issues with some of the choices they made, for multiplayer in particular. Ganondorf and
three landmasters
are good examples that really make me wonder if they did spend too much time on SSE. (Which I enjoyed as well, but I'm sure all of us will agree that multiplayer is more important) I HATE to call Sakurai and his team lazy.. because the game has sooo much content it's crazy.

It's just... some very obvious necessities for multiplayer were not attended to. I guess a better word than lazy is 'misguided focus'? :/ This game had a LOT of development time and an ENORMOUS team.

Again though, I still adore the game and I guarentee you I will be playing it for years. Consider this constructive criticism to Sakurai? :p

Jiggy

Don't worry, I've done my fair share of criticisms. :D Like the inability to play some of this really awesome music outside of the really sucky stages (e.g. Rumble Falls, New Pork City, Spear Pillar, WarioWare--though WarioWare would be totally excellent and superb if it didn't hand out, you know, Starman as a reward).

And the lack of true alternate costumes for anyone other than Pikachu, Ness, Wario, and character-I-can't-mention-yet-who-I'm-predicting-for-Thursday. They had time to model 500 trophies, but not at least one alternate costume among all these characters who had lots of them in their own games? D: I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the trophies, but I'm only going to look at them maybe four times in the next seven years, whereas I'm going to see the characters all the time. With all that modeling work, how hard could it have been to just make a short-sleeve Mario to represent Sunshine, or put some shades on Yoshi to represent Boshi from Super Mario RPG, or make some alternate Pokemon Trainers, or Samus in the lowest form of her Power Suit, or the real Fusion Suit, or Luigi as Mr. L, or Ocarina of Time Link, or Wind Waker Ganondorf?

I'm really not joking all those times I keep saying I want a Super Smash Bros. Brawl Deluxe Edition that adds some of these things. >_> And I'd buy it all over again, because this is my favorite game ever. But it definitely has some things that could be fixed.

Oh, another issue. There are loads of great stages found only in Subspace Emissary that I'd love to use in multiplayer, except they're not there. Or even just the awesome backgrounds--why can't I use those in Stage Builder, when they've already been created?

MrCheez

I've said it before but I'll say it again... I would have done some of the 3d modeling for extra character costumes and so on for free! :lol Sakurai should have called me up and let me intern.

Jiggy37 said:
Oh, another issue. There are loads of great stages found only in Subspace Emissary that I'd love to use in multiplayer, except they're not there. Or even just the awesome backgrounds--why can't I use those in Stage Builder, when they've already been created?

YES! This especially. It seems like some of those assets were already put into a quick 'level building' format for the target test, too! I want to make custom stages out of those :(

I adore the stage builder feature and never dreamed the game would have it... but that said it has sooo much untapped potential. Three backdrops is way too low!

And I STILL dont understand why I can't build objects directly next to eachother! Everything takes up extra grid space when you place it... even the pieces that look like they are suppose to make tunnels can't be placed directly next to eachother! Argh!

Jiggy

MrCheez said:
I've said it before but I'll say it again... I would have done some of the 3d modeling for extra character costumes and so on for free! :lol Sakurai should have called me up and let me intern.
Post a call-out thread about it next time. :eek: This forum's so insane it just might have someone or other somewhere or other on GAF who somehow knows someone who could get you in there. :lol

Anyway, yeah, imagine how awesome it would be to fight in front of some of those Subspace Emissary backgrounds. :eek: I'd love to fight in front of Rayquaza's lake, or in Ridley's level, or the place where you fight Galleom the second time. (So glad I can actually talk about those due to the boss update, incidentally. >_> There are other stages I want to mention that I can't! D:)

MrCheez

Jiggy37 said:
Post a call-out thread about it next time. :eek: This forum's so insane it just might have someone or other somewhere or other on GAF who somehow knows someone who could get you in there. :lol

I should have! Especially since when I created that Skull Kid Art I had a bunch of people emailing me asking if I was interning for Nintendo on Brawl :lol (When I posted it on GAF someone here posted it on gamefaqs and the official Nintendo forums... a TON of people thought it was an official leak. It was classic :O )

Jiggy37 said:
Anyway, yeah, imagine how awesome it would be to fight in front of some of those Subspace Emissary backgrounds. :eek: I'd love to fight in front of Rayquaza's lake, or in Ridley's level, or the place where you fight Galleom the second time. (So glad I can actually talk about those due to the boss update, incidentally. >_> There are other stages I want to mention that I can't! D:)

So awesome :O There were tons of times during SSE where I said to myself the exact same thing :(

Iam Canadian

I'd say the Subspace stage that I'd like to play on, but it's still a spoiler... D:

Also, how hard would it have been to implement a Target Smash stage builder? Almost all of the parts in the official Target Smash stages are available in the Stage Builder anyway...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I love how even though most of us in here have the game, we still check the site regularly. For me it's my only Smash fix since my Wii is in for repair and the official LAN adapter came in the mail today :(

Iam Canadian

I check because I love Sakurai's writing (as I've stated) and I love the Dojo community too much to abandon it. Even if it's a shadow of what it once was.

That reminds me; I really should get around to finishing off that second section of posts. >_> I've been neglecting it since Brawl came out. D:

Ganondorf in Brawl is pretty bad and the only move that was changed and somewhat fits the style you expect him to have in Zelda games is the reworked side B.

I've been noticing Goldeen a lot, particularly if I'm quick to grab and throw the Pokéball. Is it possibly the Pokémon the game always keeps loaded, in case it can't load the intended one in time?

Gotta catch'em all!

Earlier today I saw Mew for the first time. I still have yet to see Jerachi and Deoxys in my game. Also I would say my favorite Pokemon are Latias/Latios and Kyogre. Their attacks are very cool. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom