• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of these mewtwo images and gifs are getting me so hyyppeeee! Hopefully he gets the vastly superior Mewtwo Y as a final smash!

It also just occurred to me that 2 of the 7 fighters that were found in Brawls code have now been confirmed in the game. Is it possible that we might be getting the other 5 as dlc in the future? Maybe not plusle and minun (3ds issues if they work like the IC), but i could definitely see Dixie and Toon Zelda/Tetra making the cut.
lol at roy

Mf90QHn.png

Dixie and Toon Zelda seem like two very likely characters for DLC or Smash 5. Both are among the most iconic characters not yet playable.
Plusle + Minun are too flavour of the month, not getting in in Brawl means not getting in ever.
lol at roy

Is any evidence to the claim that Sonic replaced Mewtwo? I've always been apprehensive regarding that.

It's mostly just conjecture. Since Sonic's inclusion was definitely at the last moment, and the game was delayed on his reveal, people feel that whatever resources spent on Mewtwo were halted and then all the attention was put on Sonic to have him finished by release.

jph139

Is any evidence to the claim that Sonic replaced Mewtwo? I've always been apprehensive regarding that.

Mostly just putting the pieces together. Mewtwo seems to be the most "complete" in Brawl's data, we know that Sonic wasn't initially planned, so when you put that together, Sonic being completed at Mewtwo's expense is a reasonable conclusion.

Of course, Mewtwo could have been dropped WAY earlier in development and they just cut some SSE stuff or more stages or whatever. No way to be sure.

We know that Sonic was the final character added to the game and we know Mewtwo was pretty far along (further than the other cut characters) before getting cut, but beyond that it's extrapolation.

Also, Mewtwo has some of the coolest looking animations in Smash Bros. period and that's what I think was what I missed the most about him being missing in Brawl.

jnWake

I had forgotten how cool Mewtwo's moves were in Melee. Been so long since I played that game.

I don't remember who said this, but I'd love a Boss/Hazard toggle or some form of stage customization. However, with the new stage builder it seems pretty easy to replicate the layouts of most stages so maybe that's why the team went with crazy ideas for the hazards.
For example, creating a "hazard-less Dr. Wily Castle" seems pretty easy on the stage builder. Same for Magicant. There'll be different assets of course, but you can even put the correspoding music in it!

Zubz

Banned
And even then, I'm not sure if it counts as an omission when we have both Lucina and Roy in the game already.

tumblr_ndzat0ObqW1rsl6n7o1_1280.png

Indisputably the best lord.

Yeah. I really want Roy back, but between Lucina and the other Roy, I'm thinking he's gone for good. And that picture is divine, btw.

Sometimes I wonder if we might have gotten this if not for PSABR.

More importantly, just like roster parity, I wonder who, other than Sakurai, even cares?

Neiteio

Dixie and Toon Zelda seem like two very likely characters for DLC or Smash 5. Both are among the most iconic characters not yet playable.
I'd love both Dixie and Toon Zelda as DLC.

Dixie could be a combination of Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong -- essentially Diddy's size and speed, with the gumball gun from Tropical Freeze, and Donkey's helicopter spin, ground pound and ability to carry opponents, using her ponytail instead of her arms.

Toon Zelda would be a clone of Zelda. Phantom Slash is more appropriate on Toon Zelda than adult Zelda, given the reference to Spirit Tracks. Toon Zelda would be a sixth LoZ character, rounding out that group and going well with Toon Link. Also worth noting: Toon Zelda appeared in the New 3DS ad campaign in Japan...

Bundle them together! :-D

Classic Pig Ganon before Toon Zelda. He represents 2D Zelda, gives the character a more appropriate moveset (while keeping Dorf the same for those who like his Smash moveset), and gives us two Ganons in the roster to balance out having two Links and two Zeldas.

Is it good idea that I should save "True Potential of Smash Bros." for Wii U OT sub-title?

Sure!

Toon Zelda would be a clone of Zelda. Phantom Slash is more appropriate on Toon Zelda than adult Zelda, given the reference to Spirit Tracks. Toon Zelda would be a sixth LoZ character, rounding out that group and going well with Toon Link. Also worth noting: Toon Zelda appeared in the New 3DS ad campaign in Japan...

Should we really get another LoZ clone/semi-clone?

I'm certain she has something to make her unique.

I'd love both Dixie and Toon Zelda as DLC.

Dixie could be a combination of Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong -- essentially Diddy's size and speed, with the gumball gun from Tropical Freeze, and Donkey's helicopter spin, ground pound and ability to carry opponents, using her ponytail instead of her arms.

Bundle them together! :-D

Toon Zelda is my favorite design of the character, but we really shouldn't have her in.
Third clone for the Zelda series, and fourth character to use the Light Arrow Final Smash.

Tetra is much better. They could give her a moveset with things like the Deku Leaf and Grappling Hook. She'd be much more original, and way more varied.

Neiteio

Toon Zelda is my favorite design of the character, but we really shouldn't have her in.
Third clone for the Zelda series, and fourth character to use the Light Arrow Final Smash.

Tetra is much better. They could give her a moveset with things like the Deku Leaf and Grappling Hook. She'd be much more original, and way more varied.
Good point. I'd be down for Tetra. :)

Fiktion

Banned
I would love Tetra but I think her ship has sailed (pun intended).

They completely fucked her character in Phantom Hourglass (worst Zelda game ever?) and haven't used her since.

Neiteio

They completely fucked her character in Phantom Hourglass (worst Zelda game ever?) and haven't used her since.
Tetra's kind of relevant again thanks to The Wind Waker HD. As Captain said, she'd be a good excuse to make a move-set around the items in TWW (i.e. Grappling Hook, Deku Leaf, etc), kind of like how Palutena embodies the power-ups from Kid Icarus Uprising.

Phantom Hourglass is just a nice excuse to justify her appearance on the 3DS, as well. Not that a portable pedigree is needed, of course.

Fiktion

Banned

I knew someone would post this. I haven't tried the CDi games but I doubt they can be worse than Phantom Hourglass simply because they don't shit all over the best incarnation of Zelda the series had ever seen.

Tetra's kind of relevant again thanks to The Wind Waker HD. As Captain said, she'd be a good excuse to make a move-set around the items in TWW (i.e. Grappling Hook, Deku Leaf, etc), kind of like how Palutena embodies the power-ups from Kid Icarus Uprising.

Phantom Hourglass is just a nice excuse to justify her appearance on the 3DS, as well. Not that a portable pedigree is needed, of course.
Toon Link could have had that moveset but he didn't, I doubt Sakurai is itching to include it. I'd prefer they pretend that Phantom Hourglass never happened.

Dereck

Those Amazon dingbats still have the Gamecube Adapter release date set to December 31st.

Where can I buy an adapter separately that is 1st party, I don't want to buy the bundle since I already pre-ordered the game by itself somewhere.

Golnei

But isn't that technically a "Link" game?

Toon Zelda wouldn't be anywhere near my most-wanted Zelda newcomer (I'll still hold out for Twinrova, as unlikely as that is) but she'd be perfect as part of a DLC bundle. While still being a direct clone and therefore easy on the development team, she'd be an iconic, popular character that's visually distinct from her source.

Sponge

Banned
Plusle + Minun are too flavour of the month, not getting in in Brawl means not getting in ever.
lol at roy

I can't see Toon Zelda getting in without the transformation mechanic. I could see Tetra getting in, though. Dixie is most likely happening.

Neiteio

Most DLC talk is about characters, but I'd love for the WiiU version to eventually get a proper Adventure Mode that incorporates enemies like the ones in Smash Run.

Bundle that with playable Mewtwo (for those who don't already have him), Dixie Kong, Tetra, Wolf, and Lucas (all grouped under a separate window you access by a DLC tab on the Character Select Screen), as well as a number of new stages, plus a boss/hazard toggle, and you'd have one heck of an expansion. :)

Man, that'd be cool if we were getting another Pikmin anytime soon. At least we're getting those shorts? But I do want to see where they go with the Plasm Wraith from here. And I'm still cool with him being a playable character some day in Smash.
I wonder if that crash at the end of the game was a new Captain? Or Louie falling out of the ship?
The one piece of good news for the Pikmin series is that Miyamoto won't ever let it die. Considering that we're still getting a demo soon, major updates (like touchscreen support) coming out long after release, and those short movies show that despite poor sales, Miyamoto will keep pushing for more Pikmin.
Good point. I'd be down for Tetra. :)
I think it would be a nice match for Toon Link, and another disguise of Zelda to go with Sheik.
My least favorite is Link's Awakening, but Phantom Hourglass is one of the three Timeline games I haven't played so I wouldn't know where to put it yet.
I knew someone would post this. I haven't tried the CDi games but I doubt they can be worse than Phantom Hourglass simply because they don't shit all over the best incarnation of Zelda the series had ever seen.
Tetra is awesome, but the transition from Tetra to Zelda was incredibly disappointing. Kickass pirate boss to princess locked in a room (then kidnapped) was already poor treatment.

Neiteio

Toon Link could have had that moveset but he didn't, I doubt Sakurai is itching to include it. I'd prefer they pretend that Phantom Hourglass never happened.
I think Toon Link didn't use those moves because he was a quick clone character in Brawl and they maintained that precedent here. However, if they were to start fresh with an all-new newcomer like Tetra, they might want to base her moves on those tools.

Lunar15

So, a Best Buy that had no stock of the bundle left magically had one when I randomly checked today. Reserved it.

It's a half hour drive, but goddamn is it worth it.

georly

I like all the Zelda games. Even the DS ones.

(Self Avatar Quote)

If I had to say one of them is the worst zelda, it's gotta be Zelda 2, but even then, it's still alright. A bad zelda game is still a better game than 80+% of that platform's library.

Golnei

Tetra is awesome, but the transition from Tetra to Zelda was incredibly disappointing. Kickass pirate boss to princess locked in a room (then kidnapped) was already poor treatment.

The sudden change in skintone was also really jarring, especially since Daphnes had the same complexion as Tetra and some concept art even suggests that they were considering keeping it for the Zelda form. At least we have texture hacks, I guess.

tumblr_n19jrtes1g1sq0cvdo1_500.png

(Self Avatar Quote)

If I had to say one of them is the worst zelda, it's gotta be Zelda 2, but even then, it's still alright. A bad zelda game is still a better game than 80+% of that platform's library.

I had a friend who once said this:
There are bad Zelda games, but there are no Zelda games that are bad.
I think this statement is accurate.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Classic Pig Ganon before Toon Zelda. He represents 2D Zelda, gives the character a more appropriate moveset (while keeping Dorf the same for those who like his Smash moveset), and gives us two Ganons in the roster to balance out having two Links and two Zeldas.

I don't think Sakurai cares much for Ganondorf. It will probably be 6 Links and 4 Zelda's before he ever gets a second character.

I was watching the 50+ facts video and I can't believe how much content they added to the Wii U version. They have gone all out with this game.

That board game/rpg mode and the stage builder by themselves give you infinite infinite re-playability.

Neiteio

I thought Twilight Princess was total crap. 4/10 game. I would not recommend it to anyone.
Twilight Princess had fantastic dungeons, bosses, and mini-bosses, but it felt a bit devoid of personality. The piss-filter, gritty NPCs and sparse landscapes made it a bit bland.

It also has the same problem many Zeldas have, which is there is no sense of urgency. "Oh no, Ganondorf is... doing something. Sitting in his castle. Oh no."

Majora's Mask remains the best 3D Zelda, in part because it remedied the above problem.

zroid

Banned

(Self Avatar Quote)

I always liked you. The Zelda fanbase as a whole can be insufferable at times, so it's nice to see there's some sane folk among them still.

I thought Twilight Princess was total crap. 4/10 game. I would not recommend it to anyone.

TP is easily my least favorite Zelda game (I haven't played Phantom Hourglass though), and no the cdi games don't count. I like nothing about it besides the music, and even then the music is the worst in the series imo.
Which is why I got sad that they kept TP Link and Zelda in SSB4, but I'm hoping for DLC costume packs.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
what about this subtitle?

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread XVIII: 16 Ice Climbers? Impossible!

Edited:

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 18: Dark Pit become playable character before Ridley

Golnei

Twilight Princess had a lot of issues with its plot, pacing, overworld and difficulty; but I wouldn't go as far as to say it's anywhere near bad. Aside from the oft-praised dungeons and Midna arc, even the visual design works for the most part, and the soundtrack generally can overcome the limitations of the format, though it is massively weakened by the choice to not use streamed audio. (Twilight Symphony is something I'm eternally grateful for.)

Twilight Princess had fantastic dungeons, bosses, and mini-bosses, but it felt a bit devoid of personality. The piss-filter, gritty NPCs and sparse landscapes made it a bit bland.

What's so gritty about entrepreneurial babies, sentient chickens and adorable yeti couples?

Twilight Princess is a weird game. It apes just about every tired Zelda trope in the book and yet I feel it's far so removed from made the earlier games masterpieces.

Granted, I still think it's pretty great for what it is and it has cats in it, but I don't think it took until A Link Between Worlds to get my interest back into the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom