• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - The thread (bringing back the REAL!)

Ramirez

I hope we have enough of a community here for a serious clan, I was a good player way back in Socom 2, but I never really had a set of people I played with regularly.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
This was posted by Shinblade in the PSN leaked thread. Thought I'd post it here.

2wod5qw.jpg

Also, I'd definitely be interested in joining a GAF clan, if one comes to be. Seems like there's enough people here for one as Ramirez said.

J-Rzez

Ramirez said:
I hope we have enough of a community here for a serious clan, I was a good player way back in Socom 2, but I never really had a set of people I played with regularly.

I'm definitely down for it, and I'll be on it at just about every chance. I love this series (up until S3 at least) with it's perfect balance between strategy, simulation, and game-fun. I just hope all the run and gun respawn-fests hasn't dumbed down my SOCOM skills. :(

My SR-25SD calls me forth!

dralla

Has there been any word on number of maps and modes? Warhawk was DLC and it's got barely any content, I'm worried this will be the same

dralla

?? I'm worried this will be content-lite because it's downloadable, you can't expect people to DL something 5+ gigs. Warhawk only has 5 maps...so, yea

Ramirez

J-Rzez said:
I'm definitely down for it, and I'll be on it at just about every chance. I love this series (up until S3 at least) with it's perfect balance between strategy, simulation, and game-fun. I just hope all the run and gun respawn-fests hasn't dumbed down my SOCOM skills. :(

My SR-25SD calls me forth!

Yea no shit, playing Socom like I do COD4 would result in bad times.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
dralla said:
?? I'm worried this will be content-lite because it's downloadable, you can't expect people to DL something 5+ gigs. Warhawk only has 5 maps...so, yea

I assume you aware of the size and complexity of those maps? Not to mention vehicles and weapons and stuff. Hardly lite I say.

Ramirez

So how legit is that screen up there, the last time I saw this game in EGM (I think last issue), they had a fall release for it. July would be gravy though.

tuco11

16 maps please. No 5 map bullsh!t. C'mon Socom 2 had 16 maps if I remember correctly. Why do I have a bad feeling that it will only be 5 maps and then they will nickel and dime us on DLC. F that.

Safe Bet

Banned
tuco11 said:
Why do I have a bad feeling that it will only be 5 maps and then they will nickel and dime us on DLC. F that.
I hope not...

I've yet to purchase any DLC and I plan not to until the overcharging stops.

Dorian_D

Banned
Can't wait till this game comes out! I think this socom will go back to basics of the second installment of the series.

AndyD

aka andydumi
tuco11 said:
16 maps please. No 5 map bullsh!t. C'mon Socom 2 had 16 maps if I remember correctly. Why do I have a bad feeling that it will only be 5 maps and then they will nickel and dime us on DLC. F that.

If it comes out at 20-30 bucks, 5 maps is OK, but not if full price. I would be willing to be DLCed to a full price 60 dollar game if it ended up with comparable content with something like COD4.

Arsenic

tuco11 said:
Socom 2 actually had 22maps, 25 with the DLC. That kills any current "next-gen" game as far as i know.

But coming out with only 5 is disappointing, the variety is what kept s2 going on strong.

And yeah, FUCK that nickel and dime bullshit

GQman2121

Banned
Safe Bet said:
I hope not...

I've yet to purchase any DLC and I plan not to until the overcharging stops.

You guys are out of your fucking minds if you think they're not going to release maps at $2-3 a pop. The first two games had a combined total of 25 maps. How hard is it to expand a few of those to allow for the increased number in players and cash in? Hell, they asked/made you go out and buy three copies of OPM to get the added maps for Socom II!

Just look at what they're doing with Crossroads. Don't you think they could add - I don't know - Chain Reaction as DLC and have the entire roof be playable? Everyone would be all over that.

All I'm saying is, if this game is good and catches on with the hardcore players again, be prepared to pay over $100 to see everything it has to offer.

f3niks

GQman2121 said:
You guys are out of your fucking minds if you think they're not going to release maps at $2-3 a pop. The first two games had a combined total of 25 maps. How hard is it to expand a few of those to allow for the increased number in players and cash in? Hell, they asked/made you go out and buy three copies of OPM to get the added maps for Socom II!

Just look at what they're doing with Crossroads. Don't you think they could add - I don't know - Chain Reaction as DLC and have the entire roof be playable? Everyone would be all over that.

All I'm saying is, if this game is good and catches on with the hardcore players again, be prepared to pay over $100 to see everything it has to offer.

Don't forget that those people who got those maps from OPM also had to run out and get copies of Final Fantasy XI for the HDD.

Arsenic

f3niks said:
Don't forget that those people who got those maps from OPM also had to run out and get copies of Final Fantasy XI for the HDD.
As a result of that, im still fucking playing FFXI

=(

evilone

EA Employee
I thought this was a online only game?

As we revealed early this month, the May issue of EGM has a blow-out cover story on SOCOM Confrontation. Along with the loads of other Confrontation info in the story, you'll find a list of all the different special forces included in the game. Joining a special force is now a perk associated with joining a clan; solo players will still be able to play as either commandos or mercenaries, but special forces (and their associated uniforms, gear, and weapons) will only be available to clan members.

Only, er, we got the list a little bit wrong in the mag. So here, for the first time anywhere, is the complete, correct lineup of special forces available at launch, complete with links to Wikipedia entries for the real-life organizations.

* Navy Sea, Air, and Land (SEALs, United States)
* Special Air Service (SAS, United Kingdom)
* Kommando Spezialkräfte (KSK, Germany)
* Unidad de Operaciones Especiales (UOE, Spain)
* 1er Régiment de Parachutistes d'Infanterie de Marine (1er RPIMa, France)

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167041

Doel

evilone said:
I thought this was a online only game?

As we revealed early this month, the May issue of EGM has a blow-out cover story on SOCOM Confrontation. Along with the loads of other Confrontation info in the story, you'll find a list of all the different special forces included in the game. Joining a special force is now a perk associated with joining a clan; solo players will still be able to play as either commandos or mercenaries, but special forces (and their associated uniforms, gear, and weapons) will only be available to clan members.

Only, er, we got the list a little bit wrong in the mag. So here, for the first time anywhere, is the complete, correct lineup of special forces available at launch, complete with links to Wikipedia entries for the real-life organizations.

* Navy Sea, Air, and Land (SEALs, United States)
* Special Air Service (SAS, United Kingdom)
* Kommando Spezialkräfte (KSK, Germany)
* Unidad de Operaciones Especiales (UOE, Spain)
* 1er Régiment de Parachutistes d'Infanterie de Marine (1er RPIMa, France)

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167041
I'm not liking the sound of that, and I fully expect to be in a clan.

Just giving any player some sort of advantage like that is ridiculous, and against what SOCOM is about. Everyone should be on a level playing field and your experience, playing style, and skill is what should set you apart.

evilone

EA Employee
Doel said:

Just giving any player some sort of advantage like that is ridiculous, and against what SOCOM is about. Everyone should be on a level playing field and your experience, playing style, and skill is what should set you apart.

It depends how much better (if they are) the weapons you can get in a clan are compared to not being in a clan.

I am a M14 and M16 whore so it really comes down to play style and skill.

Doel

And worst case scenario, the weapons you use depends on the special forces equipment you're wearing. That would suck :\

botkiller

Doel said:

How would it be any different than having different weapon selections for Seals and terrorists like in the old games?

LJ11

botkiller said:
How would it be any different than having different weapon selections for Seals and terrorists like in the old games?

Very true. When they gimped the M60 in Socom 2, the Terrorist weapons pretty much sucked outside of the STG (which you unlocked through single player IIRC), and AK-47. M14 was available on both sides, so they canceled each other out.

Edit: The IW/M14 were pretty much banned in competitive play after a few months, so the Terrorists always had an uphill battle in Socom 2. Socom 1 had the best weapon balance, and that's all Confrontation needs to do, regardless of the classes.

Doel

botkiller said:
I guess I can understand that.

I still wouldn't want it to be based off whose equipment we are wearing though. If I like the look of SAS, I don't want to be stuck with only SAS weapons.

tenchir

I loved playing Socom 2 because of the smaller maps, I hated Socom 3 and stopped playing it a month after I got it. If this game is a lot like Socom 2, then it's a definite buy from me.

LJ11

DesertEasy said:
Don't forget the M16 which was a beast, though like the M14 it was for both seals and terrorists.

Yeah, the M16 was a good weapon for both sides. No one used the M16 for the first few months, but after the M60 was nerfed and the IW/M14 was banned, people had to start experimenting and they found a hidden gem. Everyone disregarded it at the start, but fell back on it months later.

I just want some good unique balanced weapons on all sides, so it feels a bit different when you play as a Seal or a Terrorist.

Edit: And boy do I wish they made a Socom game that looked as good as that art shot.

J-Rzez

Ahh yes. I remember the first time I tried out the M14 in I think it was S2 in The Ruins, everyone thought that gun was junk. I went 6-0 the next round, 8-0 the following, and 4-0 the one after that. Then at that point, that's all you heard was that distinctive and loud sound coming from everywhere, with everyone using it.

Weeks later "Xroads no M14s"... :lol

I also liked the RA-14 in S2. But still, nothing beats that sweet sweet SR-25 to me :D

LJ11

J-Rzez said:
Ahh yes. I remember the first time I tried out the M14 in I think it was S2 in The Ruins, everyone thought that gun was junk. I went 6-0 the next round, 8-0 the following, and 4-0 the one after that. Then at that point, that's all you heard was that distinctive and loud sound coming from everywhere, with everyone using it.

Weeks later "Xroads no M14s"... :lol

I also liked the RA-14 in S2. But still, nothing beats that sweet sweet SR-25 to me :D

The RA was a nice gun, totally forgot about it. You really had variety as a Seal, you could fuck around with a bunch of weapons and have success.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I was an M14 fan since Socom I. You could aim it centermass, hold down the trigger, and the recoil would get you a headshot... :lol

It was too powerful in Socom II though. Too bad because it's my favorite weapon and people always complained when you used it. They could've nerfed it and I still would've used it. It's an M14!

Arsenic

I loved the terrorist weapons. It was fun to figure out how to use them, and motivates you to win. Of course, only in clan battles. In open rooms the terrorists will always lose without teamwork

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Arsenic said:
I loved the terrorist weapons. It was fun to figure out how to use them, and motivates you to win. Of course, only in clan battles. In open rooms the terrorists will always lose without teamwork

Except for that one fucking snowy extraction map in Socom II where the terrorists spawned at the midpoint of the map. For like... no good reason. They spawned up on the hill instead of back by the extraction. Unless you were playing against shitty terrorists... Seals got murdered. Usually.

Edit: I'm talking about Guidance, the Russian Extraction map. What shit that was. It was actually an awesome map, but the terr spawn was just retarded. Especially when they can just kill the hostages.

LJ11

recklessmind said:
Except for that one fucking snowy extraction map in Socom II where the terrorists spawned at the midpoint of the map. For like... no good reason. They spawned up on the hill instead of back by the extraction. Unless you were playing against shitty terrorists... Seals got murdered. Usually.

Edit: I'm talking about Guidance, the Russian Extraction map. What shit that was. It was actually an awesome map, but the terr spawn was just retarded. Especially when they can just kill the hostages.

Yeah, Guidance was a bitch because half the terrorists spawned on the mountain and the other half back at their base. Key was to quickly lock the hostages in that small hanger/room, and try to pick off whoever rushed while praying that their sniper sucked.

Talking about the game brings back memories.

J-Rzez

recklessmind said:

Yeah, I remember that map. We'd usually take 1 vip left then hid them behind a hill, 1 under a bridge, and the other inside that starting bunker. You'd then try to take out a couple terrorists and hopefully outnumber them fast. Then make a break right up that hill or to the left using c4 on that sewer grate iirc.

LJ11 said:
Talking about this game brings back memories.

I know right? I can't wait to get more details on this and see some video's. It's killing me this wait.

Arsenic

recklessmind said:

yeah but guidance almost never showed up. was always the last map on Medley rotation? and in wars, those disadvantages had to be overcome. but, there was also a trick on that top mountain, where if u point the turret the right way, u can kill the VIPs in the very beginning.

but it was like frostfire for seals. and as socom went along, frostfire became a balanced map. people knew how to play it.

and yes, talking about socom brings back so many goddamn memories. i seriously want to go back in time

Ravenn17

The terr weapons weren't THAT bad. People underestimate the AKS-74 and 552/552SD. The 552 was a head shot machine on burst, and the AKS-74 could be used effectively, but it was somewhat inconsistent.

I just hope Slant Six dosen't focus most of their attention on customization and special team specific weapons. They just need to keep it SIMPLE. Balance and simplicity is better than a wide variety of weapons that are either super weak or super powerful.

Top Bottom