• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - The thread (bringing back the REAL!)

Doel

recklessmind said:
That would be sweet, but I don't think that's the polish flag. It looks like there are three stripes instead of just two.

And who is the dude?

EDIT: Looks like it's Austria's flag.
Hmmm, you might be right. Also a European country, so that works fine.

I'm trying to find some Austrian architecture that the buildings in the picture might be inspired from. If I could find something like that then it would most definitely mean that we will be getting some maps that are outside of the North African theme.

methane47

recklessmind said:
It looks like a poster with a flag on it.

Are we all looking at the same thing?

????

2e67yo0.jpg

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
There's a symbol on the poster I've been looking at. I wish the friggin screens were higher res so I could actually make it out...

When I blow up the screen in photoshop it's hard to make anything out. My guess is... two swords crossed? Or maybe two rifles?

I'm looking online for something like that... but I have a feeling the devs probably created it. They don't usually use real dictators/political figures or stuff like that, so I imagine it's fabricated. But who knows... it's fun trying to figure it out.

Are we all looking at the same thing?
Ha ha... you just beat me with that. I was going to post, but it's really blurry. I can make out a waving three striped flag behind the dude talking. It's the symbol I don't get...

Here's another pic. I think it's clearly a flag behind the guy raising his arm.

21kjn0n.jpg

Deepblue

Banned
recklessmind said:
One thing I always liked about Socom was the animation. There were quite a few subtle animations in the game that you just do not see in most military shooters.

Little stuff... like being able to walk backwards, the way your dude would hold his pistol... my favorite thing was that your guy wasn't always holding the gun up in the air, like he was ready to fire. Mostly the gun was down at the hip until you pressed the button lightly to bring it up, or you stared firing. (there was also that bug that made the gun go up when an enemy was around lol).

It really bothers me that I haven't seen a single screen where the player doesn't have his rifle up and ready to shoot.

That shit drove me crazy in GRAW, because everyone looked so retarded running around with the gun up by their faces.

I really hope Slant Six takes the time to do those animations. Probably seems pretty insignificant to most people, but that shit annoys me.
Err, that's only in multi-player. In SP, after about 30 seconds without firing you will lower your gun.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Deepblue said:
Err, that's only in multi-player. In SP, after about 30 seconds without firing you will lower your gun.

I know. I used to post on the Ubi boards asking why they couldn't fix it for MP since it was a little better in SP.

But that's what you get when two different devs develop two different games on two different engines...

Doel

OH HAI NEWS!

Firstly, SOCOM Confrontation news appearing on the PS Blog this week according to IGN's Podcast Beyond! that came out today.

Secondly, EGM Live answered my question :D (at the 6min mark) about Joe Rybicki and if he is the one who wrote the story/played the game because he is the one of the few people in the media who "get" the franchise. Apparently they sent him to play the game this past week :D

Doel

PS Blog updated!

They describe what is going on in both of the new screen shots that were released by EGM over the weekend. They also re-confirm a 3rd-person traditional view, and that its not in either of those shots, AND they have high-quality versions of both images.

Wollan

From the comments at PS Blog:

yeaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SOCOM IS THE ONLY REASON……………
I GOT THE INTERNET…………………………
:lol

Doel

Wollan said:
From the comments at PS Blog:

:lol
I honestly played with a guy in SOCOM 2 who didn't have a computer and basically all he did with the internet was play SOCOM 2. :lol

Safe Bet

Banned
The aiming reticule is STILL backwards.

The small points of the reticule lines should point in towards the center, not out...

reaver18

I would seriously buy a PS3 just to play SOCOM and relive the nostalgia. SOCOM 1 was the greatest gaming experience I ever had online.

CapoAheaz

damn, total boner. i cannot wait for this game.
glad they have the option of the classic camera.
now we just need a release date so i can start a countdown.

steve

Banned
Those high-res screens look top-notch. If the framerate is rock-solid and the game incorporates all of the HOME functionality, this will be the SOCOM game to end all SOCOM games.

Tom Penny

steve said:
Those high-res screens look top-notch. If the framerate is rock-solid and the game incorporates all of the HOME functionality, this will be the SOCOM game to end all SOCOM games.

Other than the low res textures it looks pretty good. Doesn't really matter though. Graphics without gameplay for an online game is pointless so hopefully the gameplay is top notch.

Madman

steve said:
Those high-res screens look top-notch. If the framerate is rock-solid and the game incorporates all of the HOME functionality, this will be the SOCOM game to end all SOCOM games...
...until we see what Zipper has in store for everyone.

I'm not saying it's guarenteed to be great, but I'm interested to see what the guys who made the franchise have in store for everyone.

methane47

Safe Bet said:
The aiming reticule is STILL backwards.

The small points of the reticule lines should point in towards the center, not out...

Doesn't it point out when you are moving... or rather shrink when you are standing still or even further when you are prone?

steve

Banned
Broadbandito said:
look at those bricks in the ground!!!

As a diehard SOCOM player, I expect three things from the graphics engine of Confrontation; a rock-solid framerate, incredible draw distance and an excellent use of lighting.

So far, it's looking good. If you're looking at the bricks on the ground while you're playing, you're already dead.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
What's with the radar? It's been a while since I last played a Socom game, but I don't remember there being a radar. Anyhow, Confrontation is supposed to have a number of maps returning from S1 and 2 right? If that's the case, then it's already guaranteed to be a frontrunner for multiplayer game of the year. Best maps in the business, bitches! :D

Safe Bet

Banned
Laguna X said:
What's with the radar? It's been a while since I last played a Socom game, but I don't remember there being a radar.
This can't be said enough times.

Hopefully the shit can be turned off.

Doel

People seem to have forgotten that there has been a radar in each game, it was just used to show extraction points, bombs, hostages, etc. I honestly don't remember if it was used to show team mates until SOCOM 3, but I don't have trouble with that as long as I can't see my enemies on it.

tuco11

"This is a brand new map, which has a 16 player core area and an expanded footprint for 32 player matches."

yuck!! No 32 player bullshit.

CapoAheaz

Doel said:
but I don't have trouble with that as long as I can't see my enemies on it.

yeah that would be extremely lame of them. one of the best things about socom is running around the corner and, "Oh Shit", getting the drop on some fool.

dralla

Are the green lines on the bottom the health bars? or are they for ammo? I hope to god it's not health regen

Madman

CapoAheaz said:
yeah that would be extremely weak of them. one of the best things about socom is running around the corner and, "Oh Shit", getting the drop on some fool.
I would change what that message says if I were you.

Crisis

Banned
CapoAheaz said:
yeah that would be extremely *bannable phrase* of them. one of the best things about socom is running around the corner and, "Oh Shit", getting the drop on some fool.

You need to change that even though I agree with the rest of what you said.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I don't know if this has been said anywhere but I was talking to a Sony representative at work today and she told me Socom Confrontation was going to come bundled with an official PlayStation branded bluetooth headset for $69.99, or you can get the headset standalone for $49.99.

Kagari said:
I don't know if this has been said anywhere but I was talking to a Sony representative at work today and she told me Socom Confrontation was going to come bundled with an official PlayStation branded bluetooth headset for $69.99, or you can get the headset standalone for $49.99.

$49.99?$49.99?$49.99?$49.99?$49.99?$49.99?$49.99?
no thanks.

What's the best value headset can you get now?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Rapping Granny said:
no thanks.

Pirce is actually very good for a (probably) perfectly working BT 2.0 headset.

Logitech PS3-specific BT 2.0 headset, the Cordless Vitange, costs $79.99.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Rapping Granny said:
no thanks.

Most good quality headsets are $50 or more. At least the cell phone ones.

Kagari said:

Zuh? $10 more than the Warhawk bundle?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Kagari said:

:l

1- why official PlayStation bluetooth headset when almost every bluetooth headset works ?

2- i guess she meant one ver bundled with an official PS bluetooth and one standalone without headset , cuz two ver with headset and no Disc only ver , that do not make any sense

3- what about the PSN ver ?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Totobeni said:
2- i guess she meant one ver bundled with an official PS bluetooth and one standalone without headset , cuz two ver with headset and no Disc only ver , that do not make any sense

wut?

It's pretty clear to me

SOCOM + Official PS3 Headset: 69,99
Official PS3 Headset: 49,99

Top Bottom