• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - The thread (bringing back the REAL!)

Doel

recklessmind said:
One thing I always liked about Socom was the animation. There were quite a few subtle animations in the game that you just do not see in most military shooters.

Little stuff... like being able to walk backwards, the way your dude would hold his pistol... my favorite thing was that your guy wasn't always holding the gun up in the air, like he was ready to fire. Mostly the gun was down at the hip until you pressed the button lightly to bring it up, or you stared firing. (there was also that bug that made the gun go up when an enemy was around lol).

It really bothers me that I haven't seen a single screen where the player doesn't have his rifle up and ready to shoot.

That shit drove me crazy in GRAW, because everyone looked so retarded running around with the gun up by their faces.

I really hope Slant Six takes the time to do those animations. Probably seems pretty insignificant to most people, but that shit annoys me.
So true, couldn't have said it better myself.

It's all these little things that made SOCOM what it was.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I said... I told myself... "You will NOT get excited about this game!".

*sigh*

too late. :lol

So which month will Confrontation take? I like to think it'll take a month a ps3 game isn't taking. so far that's October, December and possibly July [btw. only confirmed dates count as taking a month right now]

Kittonwy

Banned
Doel said:
2 new pics!!!

And who ever re-sized those pics did a HORRIBLE job. Lets hope 1up releases the full sizes soon.

Nice, the lighting is a bit better than before and the setting looks very nice, the new camera style is sweet.
Indifferent2.gif

Evolved1

Anyone else think it's time for Socom to have a true FPWV?

They've always had the generic FPV if you tap up on the Dpad... why not actually model the guns?

Wollan

I feel they will need to release this before Zipper announce their game.
While I believe Zipper is working on something far more epic than singular contained combat events (aka standard MP games), it will more than likely be in relation to modern day warfare and due to the time/budget those guys have it's probably going to be quite impressive (ergo, Socom C need to release relatively soon).

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Wollan said:
I feel they will need to release this before Zipper announce their game.
While I believe Zipper is working on something far more epic than singular contained combat events (aka standard MP games), it will more than likely be in relation to modern day warfare and due to the time/budget those guys have it's probably going to be quite impressive (ergo, Socom C need to release relatively soon).

Yeah they kinda of have to do that if not they are going to be screwed on that regard or all of them.

I still play games today (COD4) that I wish they did things Socom used to such as being able to make your character lean around corners. In my opinion 1 and 2 were best but they had their own issues like glitches and cheaters---2 was on the brink of having some maps that were too big. Clean that stuff up, make the maps smaller, and add some next gen magic dust and I'd buy it.

n1n9tean

Banned
dork said:
looking great. cant wait until next month. I need some new multiplayer games
dork?

THE dork?! :D

Although, Claire Danes is nowhere to be seen in your avatar; so,....maybe it's not you, afterall.

Evolved1

I want the option to map the lean function to the sixaxis.

It was always a little wonky on the d-pad. I think that lean could work pretty good with the motion control.

n1n9tean

Banned
got2bekidding said:
I still play games today (COD4) that I wish they did things Socom used to such as being able to make your character lean around corners. In my opinion 1 and 2 were best but they had their own issues like glitches and cheaters---2 was on the brink of having some maps that were too big. Clean that stuff up, make the maps smaller, and add some next gen magic dust and I'd buy it.

I disagree with you there. I feel that every one of S2's maps worked. Those maps may have been big; BUT, they were designed to be played on foot; unlike S3 with it's large, empty areas made for vehicles.

n1n9tean

Banned
recklessmind said:

It was always a little wonky on the d-pad. I think that lean could work pretty good with the motion control.
bee eye in jee oh.

Evolved1

I disagree with you there. I feel that every one of S2's maps worked. Those maps may have been big; BUT, they were designed to be played on foot; unlike S3 with it's large, empty areas made for vehicles.

I agree with him that some of Socom II's maps were a little too big. And I'm a classic Ghost Recon and OFP guy who loves gigantic maps.

I think some of them were right on the edge of being too big. But the great thing about Socom is that there was always some objective, so that kind of drew you toward the conflict. In a demolition game... if you're the last dude, you know where you need to be.

Sometimes suppression games could drag though....

Most of the Socom I and II maps are perfect. Infinitely playable.

n1n9tean said:
I disagree with you there. I feel that every one of S2's maps worked. Those maps may have been big; BUT, they were designed to be played on foot; unlike S3 with it's large empty areas made for vehicles.

Oh I know, that's why I said on the brink of being too big. 3 was just ridiculous though and I tried really hard to play and like that game since I was a fan of the series, but I just couldn't do it. People might not like this comment but I thought adding vehicles to the mix was a bad idea. Maybe a jeep for each team but that's it.

Evolved1

got2bekidding said:
Oh I know, that's why I said on the brink of being too big. 3 was just ridiculous though and I tried really hard to play and like that game since I was a fan of the series, but I just couldn't do it. People might not like this comment but I thought adding vehicles to the mix was a bad idea. Maybe a jeep for each team but that's it.

No dude. We like that comment. :lol

This game is going to bring back all the hardcore Socom players... I have that feeling.

n1n9tean

Banned
got2bekidding said:

If you really think anybody will have a problem with that comment then you must have been in a coma since S3's release. :lol EDIT: haha, recklessmind beat me.

@recklessmind:

To your comments on the animation; DITTO!!!!!!!!!!

As for the first person view: Man, I have been wishing they would allow you to see your weapon for so long. I can remember thinking that same thing to myself while playing S2 on a night level where it was best to go into FPV and use the night vision. BUT, if I'm not mistaken, I think they have made some change. If you watched GameVideos/1UP old footage from around the time when it was unveiled (gameplay footage) you can see when the camera zooms up right over the character's shoulder and right down the sight of the gun. Maybe this is the new view. I don't know. It could have just been something odd happening with the camera angle, though.

J-Rzez

recklessmind said:
This game is going to bring back all the hardcore Socom players... I have that feeling.

Day one baby, day one. I was never as good in spawn-o-ramas as I was in the SOCOM series. I just took it more serious because it felt that much more competitive than anything else out there, to me. It really made your team adopt a strategy and such as well.

kevm3

Socom took a HUGE step up from teh last time I saw it. Looks awesome. Sony is listening and releasing media!

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
recklessmind said:

hell no. Don't gimmick leaning. I fucking HATE all Sixaxis controls. MOH Airborne handled leaning better than any console games by mapping it to the left analog while aiming.

dralla

ManaByte said:
hell no. Don't gimmick leaning. I fucking HATE all Sixaxis controls. MOH Airborne handled leaning better than any console games by mapping it to the left analog while aiming.

Maybe you didn't notice the word "option". I'd also like that "option", it seems like a natural fit

Evolved1

Ha... there was a guy in the Crossroads pic that I couldn't even see. :lol

Evolved1

ManaByte said:

It could be an option for those of us who don't hate the sixaxis.

Dibbz

New shots of Socom C look awesome. Hopefully they can get this game out during the summer. Too late in the year and it will go up against R2 and Killzone 2.

A release in the summer will give Socom C enough time to build a following and get people hooked. To close to R2 and Killzone and it will get over shadowed extremely quickly.

I know Socom has a hardcore audience already but you really need more than that to have a successful game.

n1n9tean

Banned
recklessmind said:
It could be an option for those of us who don't hate the sixaxis.
Exactly. I get sick of hearing people calling it a gimmick because they couldn't get used to it. Example: the guy (oh yea, it was Bryan) calling it a gimmick on the latest 1Up Yours and asking why Shane was even interested to find out more about SIXAXIS in GTAIV. (according to Shane, it will be used to control the helicopter; which I, personally, was excited to learn.)

n1n9tean

Banned
Dibbz said:
New shots of Socom C look awesome. Hopefully they can get this game out during the summer. Too late in the year and it will go up against R2 and Killzone 2.

A release in the summer will give Socom C enough time to build a following and get people hooked. To close to R2 and Killzone and it will get over shadowed extremely quickly.

I know Socom has a hardcore audience already but you really need more than that to have a successful game.

I think I see what you're saying and I'd agree. Although, the thought of comparing Socom to either of those games would be utterly :lol.

But, I know that's not what you were saying. I could forsee that if they didn't release it before those games then the people (who are not already hardcore followers like myself) who are merely interested in experiencing Socom for the first time might decide to put it on a lower priority if put up against games they might already be familiar with which have as much Hype and popularity as Resistance 2 or Killzone 2. But, then the question is: How many people might that be? Do they really make up a significant number when weighed against the many, many Socom fans carrying over from PS2?

Ya know, just the prospect of having a SOCOM with a smooth framerate is something I'm having trouble imagining. Like a president with at least a 6th grade vocabulary. Not that I'll be complaining, but its going to take awhile to adjust!

Doel

I'm loving how this game has come along. Can't wait to see it in motion.

I REALLY hope The 1up Show will cover the game.

Dibbz

n1n9tean said:
I think I see what you're saying and I'd agree. Although, the thought of comparing Socom to either of those games would be utterly :lol.

But, I know that's not what you were saying. I could forsee that if they didn't release it before those games then the people (who are not already hardcore followers like myself) who are merely interested in experiencing Socom for the first time might decide to put it on a lower priority if put up against games they might already be familiar with which have as much Hype and popularity as Resistance 2 or Killzone 2. But, then the question is: How many people might that be? Do they really make up a significant number when weighed against the many, many Socom fans carrying over from PS2?
Nice to see that you understand my point. :)

IMO a hardcore userbase is never enough. You will always need regular gamers to have an interest in it to make it a successful title.

During the summer is probably the best time to get Socom C out to try and build that fanbase since it won't have that much competition, on the multiplayer only front, except from MGO. I'm sure that there are people playing Warhawk, CoD4 Resistance, UT etc now, that will be looking to get into something different and new all over again during the summer.

Anyways enough of that. Rock on Socom C and bring back the real :D

BTW looking at the screenshots, the radar doesn't look like it gives to much info out to players, which is good to see.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Please run @ 60fps

Please run @ 60fps

Please run @ 60fps

Please run @ 60fps

Please run @ 60fps

Wouldnt mind a rock solid 30fps but...

Please run @ 60fps

Please run @ 60fps

Please run @ 60fps

Please run @ 60fps

Please run @ 60fps

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
recklessmind said:
(there was also that bug that made the gun go up when an enemy was around lol).

That wasnt a bug. That was an awesome way to make you aware someone was there camouflaged with the environment. It was like a hint. And IIRC it only occurred when the enemy was in your field of view (not behind you or behind a wall)

"OMG is someone hidden there?!?! Where? WHERE?!?!"
*shits in pants*

Edited multiple times due to excitement.

n1n9tean

Banned
TTP said:
That wasnt a bug. That was an awesome way to make you shit in your pants.

Oh yea. That was the last thing from recklessmind that I forgot to comment on. Because, when he said it I was like "??????" Bug? What?

No, I don't think it was a bug. I LOVED that feature, too. :D

dralla

TTP said:
Please run @ 60fps

Please run @ 60fps

Please run @ 60fps

Please run @ 60fps

Please run @ 60fps

Wouldnt mind a rock solid 30fps but...

Please run @ 60fps

Please run @ 60fps

Please run @ 60fps

Please run @ 60fps

Please run @ 60fps

if they cut it from 32 players to 16 I would assume it wouldn't be too hard. 16 players, 60FPS...I can dream

Evolved1

Oh yea. That was the last thing from recklessmind that I forgot to comment on. Because, when he said it I was like "??????" Bug? What?

No, I don't think it was a bug. I LOVED that feature, too.

I always thought it was originally a bug, but then it just worked out for everyone in the end. :lol

Evolved1

That would be sweet, but I don't think that's the polish flag. It looks like there are three stripes instead of just two.

And who is the dude?

EDIT: Looks like it's Austria's flag.

methane47

TTP said:
That wasnt a bug. That was an awesome way to make you aware someone was there camouflaged with the environment. It was like a hint. And IIRC it only occurred when the enemy was in your field of view (not behind you or behind a wall)

*shits in pants*

Edited multiple times due to excitement.

No the person did not have to be in your field of view...

and if you equipped grenades .... then other people would not be alerted when you got near :D .

Top Bottom