• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfx

get some go again
naruto

i've always been curious what the 8th gate does but gai is going to die for nothing in the end. the ones who will do any real damage to madara will be naruto and sasuke. guess at this point the author will start killing characters just to kill them off.

Yamada and the Seven Witches 52

Good series continues to be really good.

Not quite sure why Tsubaki is a part of the group though. He doesn't really offer anything and they didn't need to add another guy to the group.

Also need more Shiraishi.

Oh well, time to find the last witch...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Himitsu no Akuma-chan END

You know, when you literally just summoned a demon, wouldn't you at some point tweak on to the fact that there is such a thing as hell, and not summon him again?

Even if you really want to sex the demon up?

ryan13ts

I doubt she can break certain character necks since she would need to physical out power them and hurting her parts hurt her .
We saw in the thriller bark arc how easy it would be for some physical stronger characters to just over power her .
Considering how strong some characters are in OP robin trying to break there neck would be like baby trying hurt a adult .

Robin has shown herself to be able to snap the backs of humungous people like Yama (The giant "priest" from Skypeia) and even forcibly slammed shut the mouth of a Pacifista, so her snapping the necks of anyone remotely average in size is a breeze for her, regardless of how strong they are. Hell, it's practically her calling card.

You forget that the dangerousness of Robin's ability isn't in the quality of her physical power, but the quantity of it. This is the basis of how she fights, always using the sheer numbers of her limbs she can produce to overpower opponents into submission and it's this ability that probably makes it hard for Oda to come up with any type of fight that would be remotely even for her. She hasn't had a one-on-one fight since Skypeia, and even that was so one-sided it wasn't funny.

I was really hoping that since the SH's finally made it to the New World, where the strongest people in the OP universe reside, that he'd finally start writting in good fights for all of the crew, (Robin most of all) but it doesn't look like that will be happening if this is any indicator. As much as I love them, I'm tired of the Monster Trio being the only ones to get any 'real' fights.

Kreed

One Piece 740:

I guess we're going to see the return of Sogeking in a chapter or two. Really disappointing to see Robin turned into a doll off screen but at least everything is coming together/moving towards a conclusion.

Robin has shown herself to be able to snap the backs of humungous people like Yama (The giant "priest" from Skypeia) and even forcibly slammed shut the mouth of a Pacifista, so her snapping the necks of anyone remotely average in size is a breeze for her, regardless of how strong they are. Hell, it's practically her calling card.

You forget that the dangerousness of Robin's ability isn't in the quality of her physical power, but the quantity of it. This is the basis of how she fights, always using the sheer numbers of her limbs she can produce to overpower opponents into submission and it's this ability that probably makes it hard for Oda to come up with any type of fight that would be remotely even for her. She hasn't had a one-on-one fight since Skypeia, and even that was so one-sided it wasn't funny.

I was really hoping that since the SH's finally made it to the New World, where the strongest people in the OP universe reside, that he'd finally start writting in good fights for all of the crew, (Robin most of all) but it doesn't look like that will be happening if this is any indicator. As much as I love them, I'm tired of the Monster Trio being the only ones to get any 'real' fights.

Give up on seeing the women Straw Hats doing any real fighting, particularly Robin. Oda just isn't capable of showing strong women in One Piece without either giving them one hit KO abilities (Boa Hancock), giving them joke/fanservice fights (Nami), or turning them into hideous monsters that can be punched by male characters (Boa's sisters/Big Mom).

Akito

One Piece 740:

Give up on seeing the women Straw Hats doing any real fighting, particularly Robin. Oda just isn't capable of showing strong women in One Piece without either giving them one hit KO abilities (Boa Hancock), giving them joke/fanservice fights (Nami), or turning them into hideous monsters that can be punched by male characters (Boa's sisters/Big Mom).
Hey now, Baby 5's fight was quite good.
I also want more but I know not to expect too much in this regard.

Jintor

Kangou Banchou 106

Of all the crazy sword techniques I've seen in manga, a move where you damage your opponent by shaving metal off their sword as they perfectly block your attacks has to rank up their as among the coolest

/edit i was mistaken. There was, in fact, a cooler technique.

Akito

Kangou Banchou 106

Of all the crazy sword techniques I've seen in manga, a move where you damage your opponent by shaving metal off their sword as they perfectly block your attacks has to rank up their as among the coolest

/edit i was mistaken. There was, in fact, a cooler technique.
Haha, Kongou Banchou in a nutshell, it always gets bigger and better.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
One Piece

Everything is getting into place.
Gladius is another explosion man, though his seems to be much more dangerous than Mr. 5's powers.
Heh, Kinemon disguised as Doflamingo is pretty funny.
Poor Robin... though I did predict something like that would happen if she tried to use her powers on Sugar.
Hopefully Sogeking shows up soon.

upandaway

One Piece

Welp. I know this is far from over but that ain't cool Usopp. I guess forgetting Robin made him think he came there alone.

Luffy end is pretty hype. Zoro vs Pico and all that. I hoped Luffy would fight that dude... considering they're just stalling for time waiting for Sugar to go down, why the hell did Violet not let him do it? Oh well. Logically I guess he'll stay like that till things settle down there. Franky should still be in range to take out the factory later.

Now we know Kanjuuro's out there so that's gonna come up soon probably. Not sure if what Doflamingo said counts as a hint towards a new twist or if he's just referring to Sugar being in charge of the toys..

Also, about Sugar's ability, yeah her ability's crazy, particularly the memory manipulation part. If she was on the SHs side, turning the crew into toys would have made this whole operation negligibly easy. She can also turn anyone on her side into a toy for the best form of self-defense possible. Well I doubt any of these will play out, but still.

Naruto

Kabuto savingg Sasue and giving him Senju cells is LOLOLOLOL *facepalm*

But then Gai showed up at the end

ITS HAPPENING!

Toriko

Nice little origin for Toriko there showing him to just be a swell guy

But the tease for next week

ITS HAPPENING!

Bleach

Yachiru is awesome, and she pulled out her sword

ITS HAPPENING!

One Piece

We're almost at the end of set up and with Usopp about to enter the fray

ITS HAPPENING!

Antiwhippy

Uwagaki 7

5Vle3Ht.png

OMG.

I think I died at this part.

Robin over powers fodder , a person size in OP does not mean they are that physical strong .
For eg Zoro is normal human size and he times stronger than Yama in physical strength and shutting someone mouth is much easier than breaking there neck .
When Robin fought Zoro zombie she try to hold him back with 16 arms he shrug it off and did his attack anyway chapter 468 ,not to mention there characters that are way faster that can be on her and would attack before she can .
We also know that hurting her limbs hurts her , so that means doing a giant hand or anything like that vs certain fighters is a no no and certain abilities like Miss Doublefinger and Magellan would also cause her real trouble .
Robin DF is good but she does have the physical strength , speed , agility ,haki or toughness to make her broken .

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Ano Koto Boku no Ie 1-4.2
Series of romance oneshots revolving around the people who walk the school's dog. The last two chapters are about a reincarnated(?) girl and her efforts to track down her past love. They were all pretty cute, if a bit standard. By the same author as Taiyou no Ie I think.

One Piece

Way too much happening everywhere and to just make it become an Ussop needs to be the savior moment is just bad. There is nothing he can even do. Hopefully Sabo shows up to destroy doflamingo.

dramatis

WARNING: There may be spoilers in some of these recs (rec), reviews (rev), impressions (imp). Most recent at top.

1. There are vampires in Akiba. The only way to defeat them is to strip them. Let the stripping begin! For Akiba's Trip 00. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  2. Nagomi Mameshiba (18), for the first time in his life, he invites a girl to his house with "oden" as bait. For Boku no Kotori-san. From Akito. (rev)
  3. A charming story about a middle school aged brother and sister who share a bedroom. Somehow, they kinda end up falling in love with each other. This is their story For Rika. From bigkrev.
  4. The art's great, the characters are really funny, interesting & charming, and even the premise itself has a real nice hook to it. For Again!!. From wonzo. (imp)
  5. Little to no bullshit, lots of girl bonding, some scarves, lots of motorbiking and some really sweet art. For Girl's Ride. From Lain. (rev) wonzo chips in
  6. I do gotta say, this series is extremely thorough in baseball especially the plays and the thoughts between the pitcher and catcher. For Ookiku Furikabutte. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  7. This one had a typical isolated transfer student start, but the ending surprised me. For Salomelic. From Charade. (imp?)
  8. Girl A likes Girl B who likes her back. Girl A is bullied by Girl B's fangirls. Girl B eats fangirls and Girl A. The end. For I Love You (Hanatsu Yaya). From thesaucetastic. (...)
  9. This was unexpectedly good. For Bocchiman 01. From thesaucetastic. (imp)
  10. Honestly, I wasn't really feeling this one until the ending, but I think it made up for the rest. For I'll Send Her Home on the Last Train. From Charade. (rev?)
  11. Yotsuba Sachiko is the 25-year-old housewife of an 18-year-old high school boy, Yotsuba Tomoharu. For Sachiare!. From wonzo. (???)
  12. Pretty good mix of action and fantasy. For Stealth Symphony 01. From Dedication Through Light. (imp)
  13. A shojo series about a guy who tries hard to hide his girly side falling in love with a manly kind of girl. For Otomen. From thesaucetastic. (imp)
  14. The manga expanded on everyone's back stories and basically is giving me what I craved from the lacking narrative of the game. For Megami Ibunroku - Persona. From Acid08. (imp)
  15. Who knows if I'll keep reading it, but it wasn't as bad as my first impression made me think it would be. For Imawabi no Dakini. From thesaucetastic. (imp)
  16. The astronomy tied in with science aspect in a series in which they are potentially doing magic is a good setting for this type of story with the lead seemingly still trying to deal with the loss of his wife. For Stellarium 01. From Dedication Through Light. (imp)
  17. In which male ex-military personnel are taken from the brink of death and reconstructed into cute schoolgirls through the power of science. For Bloomed in Action. From A Huge Battleship. (imp)
  18. Overall, I really enjoyed my time reading this. For Horo Musuko. From AlabastreAizo. (rev)
  19. But anyway, this was a good read as expected of Ashinano. For Kabu no Isaki. From survivor. (rev)
  20. A collection of sci fi stories by hoshino yukinobu. For 2001 + 5. From Antiwhippy. (imp)
  21. The first two volumes of this are certainly hitting all the right notes. For Knights of Sidonia. From wonzo. (imp)
  22. The rest of the cast is extremely entertaining in their own weird ways. For Mob Psycho 100. From NeoSoma. (imp)
  23. A shoujo series about ballroom dancing? I'll take it. For Waltz no Ojikan 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  24. It's just so damn creepy, and not in the right way. For Warau Kyuketsuki. From AlabastreAizo. (imp)
  25. Apparently the egyptians domesticated dinosaurs in order to build the pyramids guys. For The Temple of El Alamein. From Antiwhippy. (imp)
  26. Dat title. Dat face. For The legendary musings of professor munakata. From Antiwhippy. (imp?)
  27. About a secret agency fighting against the "White Guana", grotesque monstrosities that grow by feeding off of humans. For Abara. From wonzo. (something)
  28. wonzo on BioMega, NOiSE, and Blame Gakuen! And So On.
  29. Japan is still closed off and the Shogun still has his harem. For Ooku Chakapon!. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  30. A cute one-shot about a boy and a girl who make faces at each other as they walk to school. Pretty nice faces they made. For 08:05 no Hengao-san. From dakkumauji.
  31. There's a lot of interesting ideas and concepts present in the setting that Tsutomu has created here. For Blame!. From NeoSoma. (rev)
  32. The volume has an actually good design to it. For Room Share 01. From Dedication Through Light. (imp)
  33. The good thing about Takano Ichigo based on the 2 stories I read so far is that she likes to mix fantasy elements with her traditional shoujo storytelling. For ReCollection. From survivor. (imp)
  34. The wordiness actually sort of works for the series later because we get some solid character development. For Natsunokumo. From Nordicus. (imp)
  35. Not sure if I talked about the first two volumes, but let it be known that I think this is a quite nice shojo. For Mairu No Vich Vol 3. From Lain. (imp)
  36. A girl and a boy becoming best butts thanks to a common enemy, hemorrhoids. Oh Japan, never change. For Kiss My Ass 01. From Akito. (...)
  37. lolol, pretty trollish manga about high school manga artist and his crazy friends. For Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun. From survivor. (rev)
  38. The protagonist seemed rather bland at first but there seems to be more to him. For Ajin. From Glass Rebel. (imp?)
  39. YES YES YES, this might be the thing I've waited for for years! A series that's centered around treating "Tsundere" like a dangerous and serious personality disorder! For Mozuya-san Gyakujousuru. From Nordicus. (imp)
  40. wonzo on Beauty and the Hambeast and RaButa.
  41. The story of how our favorite sadist meets his favorite plaything before they start their journey to defeat the demon king. Still [as] funny as the main series. For Senyuu: Alba-Ross "The Hero of Port City". From dakkumauji. (imp)
  42. This begins with a 58 year old man trying his hardest to provide for his ungrateful and uncaring family and ends up with him getting diagnosed with Stomach Cancer. For Inu Yashiki 01. From wonzo. (imp)
  43. Probably one of the few manga I've read told in 2nd person. For Hanseishite Kameda-kun. From thesaucetastic. (imp)
  44. A nice little oneshot about a girl closing the distance between her new little step sister. Though, it would've been better without the completely unnecessary yuri undertones. For I Got Myself a Little Sister. From wonzo.
  45. Fun school romance so far. For Mayoke no Darling. From Dedication Through Light. (imp)
  46. It does lean a bit to the silly side, mostly the forced drama involving the past coworker. For Lonely Wolf Lonely Sheep. From survivor. (imp)
  47. Both of the female leads are interesting and it's hard to root for one or the other. For Watashi-tachi no Tamura-kun. From Mockingbird. (rec)
  48. Just a collection of one-shots by Akizuki Sorata (Akagami no Shirayukihime). Think the art carries it really well. First and third stories were the best imo. For Vahlia no Hanamuko. From scy.
  49. This is too much for me to handle. The next gen blushing, the happy couple, and the cute christmas cake. For Game Over Vol 1. From survivor. (???)
  50. Cool series so far. Very high on the historical aspect, which is fun. For SIDOOH. From Yonafunu. (imp)
  51. Well that certainly wasnt what I expected the manga to be and involve based on the cover. For The Seven Deadly Sins 01. From Dedication Through Light. (imp)
  52. Some of what Marche90 read while hikkikomori
  53. This is hitting way too close to home: not knowing what to do and studying something just because you're good at it, and then just shutting yourself off from the world and playing video games instead... For Logick. From thesaucetastic. (imp)
  54. Rereading this again after the new chapters have been released, and goddamn it shit like this is why I find it so hilarious. For Gekkan shoujo nozaki-kun. From Antiwhippy.
  55. What a lovely piece this was. I personally like depressing atmospheres, so this was excellent for me For Pietà. From AlabastreAizo. (rev)
  56. Akito, the Fat Kid and the Beauty.
  57. It does work for those lesbian sex scenes though. For From the New World Vol 1. From Lain. (imp)
  58. It's essentially an action mystery manga about organized crime set in New York. For Banana Fish. From survivor. (imp)
  59. The beheading needs explaining for there didn't seem to be any sharp objects. For King's Game: Origin. From Dedication Through Light. (imp)
  60. omg, this adorable romance and the main couple, aaahh my heart. For 14-sai no Koi Vol 1. From survivor. (imp)
  61. Thus starts the tale told a million times before only far better. NAY For Real Account 01. From Conan-san. (???)
  62. It's a post-modernist, metafictional and self-referential work that made me think more about it than I initially expected. For Bakuman. From Glass Rebel. (an actual review)
  63. Best shoujo manga I read in a while. For Hirunaka no Ryuusei Vol 1. From survivor. (imp)
  64. A genius narcissistic is politely asked our musket wielding heroine to help manage a run down theme park and return it to its splendor. For Amagi Brilliant Park 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  65. What a frightening, morbid yet sweet tale between a girl and her cat. For KURO 00. From dakkumauji.
  66. These kinds of manga are sometimes eye-opening on the culture difference between Japan and here. For Hana to Hoshi. From thesaucetastic. (imp)
  67. Bokura no Hentai does handle transgender, gender identities, and going through puberty pretty well. For Bokura no Hentai. From Bright Side of Life. (rev)
  68. But damn, once you're a few chapters in the story is gripping as hell. For 7 Seeds. From Mockingbird. (imp)
  69. what are you reading dakkumauji
  70. So yep, an adaptation of the fighting game. Since I suck at fighting games, this wasn't bad. For Persona 4 - The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  71. Sometimes the way things work out makes my head spin. For I Love You!! Magical Angel Cosmos Vol 1. From Lain. (imp)
  72. And what sucks even more is that it's probably based on someone real that Matsumoto knew from the orphanage. For Sunny Vol 2. From survivor. (imp)
  73. Was expecting something more because of the author, but it's still pretty decent. For Gyakuten Honey. From thesaucetastic. (imp)
  74. Not a bad read overall, but anyone without my affinity for these kinds of survival stories probably wouldn't enjoy it much. For Cradle of Monsters. From A Huge Battleship. (rev)
  75. A story about a headstrong girl and her aloof twin brother and their relationship between each other and their friends. For Romantica Clock. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  76. I didn't think it was this smutty. For Himegoto. From Lain. (imp)
  77. A really funny and (at times) charming series about a widowed samurai father. For Samurai Papa. From wonzo. (rec)
  78. This is quite good, it's about a young girl, who has a tremendous talent for the piano but she rather play baseball instead and a guy, who plays the piano on a rather average level but is trying his best to get into a music college. For Shindo. From Akito. (imp)
  79. This still follows the typical Cellphone game story but feels a bit more intense and compelling than the others. For Real Account 01. From Dedication Through Light. (imp)
  80. The bizarre everyday life stories of the citizens of a coastal port town. For Daidai wa, Hantoumei ni Nidonesuru 01. From NeoSoma. (imp)

daveo42

Banned
Bleach

An entire chapter devoted to explaining the abilities of two people. /sigh

Naruto

Kabuto's back to save the Sauce and Guy entering his death march. Too bad it won't do much but stall for time while Naruto and Sasuke get revived.

One Piece

Dammit Usopp...

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Naruto 667
b-b-but the youth ;_;

damn why is it always team Gai, come on. they were the best team damn it, besides Hinata's.

and of course it's Kabuto. I thought it was interesting that it was him and Obito saving Sasuke and Naruto. What a ham-fisted way to get to that development though.

Naruto
Ummmmmmm
How does Kabuto still have his sage mode when Orochimaru took back his DNA from him?
Whatever Kishi

Bleach

at times you wonder why Bleach doesn't have a narrator explaining all of this compared to what we have now with the character either explaining his/her power to the enemy or to some random person (us) that they may never knew existed

One Piece

re read the previous chapters just to make sure.... where the hell is Kine....
Usopp is likely going to go back... will not accept him chickening out

Toriko

So Toriko had the cells to begin with compared to some other people like Starjun who where injected with them

and Setsuna and Jirou will be waiting for them at this meeting spot

but at least Toriko is going back to check on that old Nitro

kasane

Wagatsuma - 72

Still dont get why they broke up. Funny that he has a new wife that looks young but in reality shes old lol

Antiwhippy

Uwagaki 12

AWWW shit.

Can't wait to see what happens.

Honestly really like this series. The clone love test setting is goofy, and the whole manga is somewhat goofy, but all the characters are pretty fun, while the story goes into drama enough too lend some weight to the story, yet never to the point where it drags it down. Also really like the art.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Kabuto's back to save the Sauce
I don't want to get saved by Kabuto, he's creepy

These made me laugh.

Naruto 667
tumblr_n1yxydIbOb1qbxqfpo1_400.png

Well since Naruto is finally back to being canon I guess I can post extensively about it again. Suigetsu chapter was amazing, his hilarious lines all around and then that new ship. He's too funny.

It seems my age olde prediction of kakashi-sensei or guy dying may come true. Out with the old and in with the new.

Naruto 667
tumblr_n1yxydIbOb1qbxqfpo1_400.png

Well since Naruto is finally back to being canon I guess I can post extensively about it again. Suigetsu chapter was amazing, his hilarious lines all around and then that new ship. He's too funny.

It seems my age olde prediction of kakashi-sensei or guy dying may come true. Out with the old and in with the new.

Just spit out my drink lolol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom