• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM #228, May 2008: SOCOM hits the PS3, BioWare's Sonic RPG revealed

C4Lukins

"Feature on the "sweetest" game you haven't heard of yet, including Capcom's Dark Void"

Twisted Metal? Viva Pinata? Candyland? Or am I taking this sweetest in quotes thing far to literally.

Salazar

I am sure that my doubts about whether that's the best use to make of Warren Spector's talents will be crushed.

'The Protector' = bodyguard stuff ? That's too simple, surely.

beelzebozo said:
am i reading it correctly as saying that warren spector is making a mario style game with mickey mouse? that sounds almost snes/genesis era awesome in its licensed potential. i'm getting visions of magical quest, duck tales, world of illusion, etc.

same, though i'm not sure warren spector is the most obvious guy for the job. but that could make it even better!
Mario+Thief=Sly Cooper Mickey w/gravity puzzles?

Lost in Blue 3: B-, C, D+

That's quite a range there.

DuckRacer

C4Lukins said:
"Feature on the "sweetest" game you haven't heard of yet, including Capcom's Dark Void"

Twisted Metal? Viva Pinata? Candyland? Or am I taking this sweetest in quotes thing far to literally.
Too early for Twisted Metal. Supposedly the VP team is working on a game for release this year, so that'd make a lot of sense. But then again, I doubt they'd unveil Viva Pinata 2 in some side article... unless it was announced next month and they'd have new details to accommodate a big blowout.

believe.mp3
Justin Dailey said:
Motorstorm 2 preview? Do go on.

Duck said:
I actually thought it was a symbol of you hating on every single game that isn't Infamous. :lol

Well, there is that too.

Busty said:
I'm liking this more angry AltogetherAndrews.

He's doesn't play by anyone's rules.

Not even his own.

My enthusiasm recently got me locked out from the party for a day or so. No more lucky propellers on the dinner table. :(

Kittonwy

Banned
krypt0nian said:
infamous_logo.jpg

Good god yes!

I need ze precious.
Indifferent2.gif

Majmun

Dark Void and InFamous are such great videogame names. Makes me want to buy them just for the name alone.

Salazar said:
'The Protector' = bodyguard stuff ? That's too simple, surely.

Hmm, there was a Sony pitch/project knocking round a couple of years ago called The Protector, wonder if it's the same?

Frillen

I will never understand the thing about magazines when it comes to dating their issue. How can it be the May issue when it isn't even April yet!?

dTau said:
secret bbc game? new name for 8 days?

I thought 8 Days was from Sony Cambridge. Or was it London... Fuck, how many studios does Sony have in the UK anyway?

Either way, if Liverpool is working on an action game it probably puts the kabosh on any "full budget" Wipeout being in production (outside of the PSN release). At least not anytime soon.

Tideas

Banned
Frillen said:
I will never understand the thing about magazines when it comes to dating their their issue. How can it be the May issue when it isn't even April yet!?

Magazines tend to be dated 1 month forward. I.e., this magazine shudn't be in newstand by May 1st

Busty

Banned
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
I thought 8 Days was from Sony Cambridge. Or was it London... Fuck, how many studios does Sony have in the UK anyway?

It's Sony London that's developing Eight Days.

SCEE have four first party studios in the UK.

Sony Liverpool

Sony London

Sony Cambridge

and Evolution Studios.

That's all the studios that have been 'announced' thus far as being Sony owned.

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Either way, if Liverpool is working on an action game it probably puts the kabosh on any "full budget" Wipeout being in production (outside of the PSN release). At least not anytime soon.

Sony Liverpool have two full teams IIRC . Wipeout HD is being developed by a smaller side team, not one of the larger ones.

So they could have one team doing The Protector another doing the 'proper', disc based Wipeout sequel and another smaller team doing Wipeout HD.

I dunno, I'm not really psyched for infamous after playing sly 3, it had some neat stuff, but the drastic change in game design/play made me think SP can't really do the whole GTA thing... if it turns out to be more of an adult version of sly2, then I'll be interested...

_leech_ said:
Hmm, let's see...

- Random battles, turn-based (think Super Mario RPG on the SNES).
- Allocatable skill points.
- Branching dialog paths.
- Core story has a single outcome.
- Visuals: Looks like "Sonic 3D Blast done right."

Is any of this new?

This stuff has been revealed before. Well I'm not sure about the core story having a single outcome part but the branching dialog, skill points info, random/turn-base battle info has been revealed before.

What we need is a trailer.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Mefisutoferesu said:
I dunno, I'm not really psyched for infamous after playing sly 3, it had some neat stuff, but the drastic change in game design/play made me think SP can't really do the whole GTA thing... if it turns out to be more of an adult version of sly2, then I'll be interested...

or of sly 1. that's the real money-melon.

squicken

It's painfully obvious that EGM's decision to change to letter grades was a veiled disguise to cave to publisher pressure and bump their scores higher in the "metrics" (game rankings, metacritic). Then, EGM can say "well, we've got our own scale, or a C is average (5)", but Gamerankings and Metacritic factor that as a 75, so publishers are happy, because EGM's scale isn't "screwing their metrics" and PR folks aren't getting bitched at, which in turn eases the pressure on EGM.

So much bullshit has flowed out of Shoe's mouth on this it's amazing the complete reversal they've done.

Gigglepoo

Dark Void is being developed by Airtight Studios. It's the first game but a lot of the team is made up of ex-FASA people. I can't wait to see what the game is like.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
brokenFUN said:
(goes to front page and scrolls down)

What is Bowser? Is he a turtle? Is he a Dinosore? Is he a dragon? What ever he is he is very scary. The Wii finally got that killer APP everyone has been waiting for and it has some crazy graphics. Super Mario Galaxy (SMG) has blasted off with huge anticipation and its only getting better even Bowser’s gotten an update, after 25 years that Dino-dude looks scary and its making me shiver in fear. Only a bit.

The cell shaded Mario is a better Mario. The cell shading art style and color palette of SMG I can consider true eye candy for Wii standers. Almost every moment of the game almost looks like a multi million dollar Pixar film. As you jump up stars Mario will sometimes skip off a corner a jump to the next witch is very appealing to the eye. I wished there was more neat animations like this in the game but you cant get everything. As you get further and further into the game the levels look more amazing. From the melting volcano to the freezing cool mushroom mountains the game is true art and no critic can say otherwise, Mario’s journey from pixalted sprites to hundreds of polygons is a never ending saga and I thing SMG is at the climax of this story.

squicken said:
It's painfully obvious that EGM's decision to change to letter grades was a veiled disguise to cave to publisher pressure and bump their scores higher in the "metrics" (game rankings, metacritic). Then, EGM can say "well, we've got our own scale, or a C is average (5)", but Gamerankings and Metacritic factor that as a 75, so publishers are happy, because EGM's scale isn't "screwing their metrics" and PR folks aren't getting bitched at, which in turn eases the pressure on EGM.

Is that true?

Top Bottom