• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM #228, May 2008: SOCOM hits the PS3, BioWare's Sonic RPG revealed

Reilly

_leech_ said:
The Good: A massive adventure, great writing.
The Bad: Unreliable motion controls, starts off slow.
Lame: No Classic Controller support.
What I don't understand is if the Okami Wii controls suck, then shouldn't the game get low review scores?

squicken

_leech_ said:
Is that true?

I don't know how exactly how Metacritic scales the scores. My point is that an "average" game used to get a 50 at Metacritic, and now the scoring system gives an "average" game a ~20 point bump. PR and publishers are happy b/c they've got their score inflation, and EGM is happy b/c they get to pretend they are still "keeping it real".

Zenith

Banned
_leech_ said:
Review Scores - Wii
Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 9.0-9.5, 8.5-9.0, 8.5-9.0
Okami: 9.0-9.5, 8.0-8.5, 9.0-9.5
Opoona: 5.0-5.5, 6.0-6.5, 6.0-6.5

Review Scores - Xbox 360/PS3
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008: 6.0-6.5, 7.0-7.5, 7.0-7.5
Dark Sector: 7.5-8.0, 7.5-8.0, 7.0-7.5
Army of Two: 7.0-7.5, 7.5-8.0, 7.5-8.0

Review Scores - Playstation 3
Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds: 7.5-8.0, 7.5-8.0, 7.0-7.5

Review Scores - Xbox 360
Universe at War: Earth Assault: 8.0-8.5, 6.0-6.5, 7.5-8.0
Frontlines: Fuel of War: 6.0-6.5, 7.0-7.5, 7.0-7.5

Review Scores - Nintendo DS
Lost in Blue 3: 7.0-7.5, 5.0-5.5, 4.0-4.5
The World Ends With You: 8.5-9.0, 7.5-8.0, 8.5-9.0
Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer: 8.0-8.5, 9.0-9.5, 7.5-8.0

Review Scores - Playstation Portable
Wild Arms XF: 4.5-5.0, 7.0-7.5, 7.5-8.0

Converted as always.

1-D_FTW

Where's the Socom info?

squicken said:
I don't know how exactly how Metacritic scales the scores. My point is that an "average" game used to get a 50 at Metacritic, and now the scoring system gives an "average" game a ~20 point bump. PR and publishers are happy b/c they've got their score inflation, and EGM is happy b/c they get to pretend they are still "keeping it real".

Not really. Most people aren't gonna be impressed by a game that gets a grade of C-. A 7, however, seems a lot more positive. A full range of F - A is a lot better than the 7-9 scale that the industry has adopted. If metacritic wants to convert those into the everybody passes scale, who cares? EGM gets to grade on more than a 2 point scale and the PR people aren't waging war with them. Everybody does win.

dyls

_leech_ said:
The Good: A massive adventure, great writing.
The Bad: Unreliable motion controls, starts off slow.
Lame: No Classic Controller support.

I can't believe they would mention the unreliable motion controls and not mention how amazingly the pointer function is used. What is with EGM/1Ups never-ending hatred of the Wii mote?

Sage00

Once And Future Member
dyls said:
I can't believe they would mention the unreliable motion controls and not mention how amazingly the pointer function is used. What is with EGM/1Ups never-ending hatred of the Wii mote?
Have you read the review? Or are you judging it by 10 words?

Barakov

typo said:
The Protector... why does it sound like a spiritual successor to that PS2 Jet Li game?

Well The Protector was the name of a Jackie Chan movie. Although that probably doesn't answer your question.

Zenith said:
Converted as always.

Should I started making my averages again?

Review Scores - Wii
Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 9.5
Okami: 9.5
Opoona: 6.5

Review Scores - Xbox 360/PS3
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008: 7.0
Dark Sector: 7.0
Army of Two: 7.0

Review Scores - Playstation 3
Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds:, 7.0

Review Scores - Xbox 360
Universe at War: Earth Assault: 6.0
Frontlines: Fuel of War: 6.0

Review Scores - Nintendo DS
Lost in Blue 3: 7.0
The World Ends With You: 9.0
Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer: 9.0

Review Scores - Playstation Portable
Wild Arms XF: 4.5

dyls said:

So when you played Okami Wii (comming out next month) you noticed the pointer helped the game? because 1upyours one of the reviewers talked about how the point and brought up the point that most Okami fans already know, that most of the symbols to draw were designed around the the analog stick. So the trade off is using the slighty better drawing controls every once in a while vs the movement and attacking you do most of the time.

FirewalkR

andrewfee said:
I only just signed up via Zinio last month, am I going to have to wait until the 8th for this?

I was going to ask if there was an electronic version of the magazine, since I remembered something, is this it??

Also, what do they have on Motorstorm 2?

- Insomniac is building a downloadable expansion sequel to Tools of Destruction.
No they're not
- Tecmo Bowl coming to both the Wii and DS.
Makes sense, what about PS2, PSP and XBLA?
- Disney asked Warren Spector to create a Mickey Mouse Mario-killer.
No they did not.
- Sony Liverpool is making a "stunning" action game called The Protector.
Oh really, stunning ey? BBC ey? Wink wink
- Gears 2's multiplayer will feature 5-on-5 and a new camera angle.
Good for them
- Traveler's Tales to make games (plural) based on live-action Akira movie.
They're making quite a lot of games right now, so bullshit unless it's pre-production. I heard Matrix Lego
- Home beta coming in the spring.
k.

KZObsessed

oo000oooh yet another new IP. Im glad Liverpool aren't just making a second Wipeout game after Wipeout HD (don't hurt me :p) tho they might make one eventually.

moar games plz

Farore said:
Does it say how unreliable they are?

Nick: "Several actions take several more tries than they should, where they didn't require a second thought on the PS2's conventional controls."

Milky: "Even the most basic exercises in the PS2 version (like slicing a boulder in half) suddenly demand a mysterious precision on Wii, leading the unexpected and unnecessary frustration."

Jenn doesn't say much about the controls other than agreeing with the above two comments.

FirewalkR

Visualante said:
- Insomniac is building a downloadable expansion sequel to Tools of Destruction.
No they're not

What you mean they're not? Unless Quest 4 Booty is not a "sequel"...

Visualante said:

I guess we'll see this at E3.

Linkzg said:
So when you played Okami Wii (comming out next month) you noticed the pointer helped the game? because 1upyours one of the reviewers talked about how the point and brought up the point that most Okami fans already know, that most of the symbols to draw were designed around the the analog stick. So the trade off is using the slighty better drawing controls every once in a while vs the movement and attacking you do most of the time.

IGN said it offered much-improved accuracy and speed to the painting mechanics. They've been much more accurate with Wii review scores, and as such, I am inclined to trust them more.

Besides, it's not like the pointer could actually be worse.

sp0rsk said:
What did they say about The World Ends With You?

If I was to sum up what the three reviewers said, then it is a stylist emo repetetive game that requires a lot of customization and the combat is hectic...and well it mostly talks about the style of the game in the three reviewes, but they seemed to like it.

also, there is a typo on pace 91 that labels "Wii Zapper with Link's Crossbow Training" for the DS. It just caught my eye as I was turning the page.

dionysus

Yaldog
The World Ends with You is the straw that broke the camels back and is making me purchase a DS (all 5 consoles now). Less than 9 months ago, I was claiming that portable rpgs suck. Boy was I wrong.

JudgeN

_Alkaline_ said:
IGN said it offered much-improved accuracy and speed to the painting mechanics. They've been much more accurate with Wii review scores, and as such, I am inclined to trust them more.

IGN makes all there "preview" sound like every game is amazing, did you forget the Lair previews already? They said the motion controllers were great during the preview too.

JudgeN said:
IGN makes all there "preview" sound like every game is amazing, did you forget the Lair previews already? They said the motion controllers were great during the preview too.

The different IGN sites are done by completely different people. They can't be compared

Tiktaalik

_Alkaline_ said:

"Even the most basic exercises in the PS2 version (like slicing a boulder in half) suddenly demand a mysterious precision on Wii, leading the unexpected and unnecessary frustration."

I think I'd advise people who were interested in Okami to pick up the PS2 version.

Firestorm

How come there's no mention here about the NeoGAF mention? =P Read the article (Deja Vu I think) on how we keep revisiting old game ideas. A dev notes that there was a topic here about our most anticipated games, and half of them had a space marine with a yellow visor.

Spoit

Uh...What's infamous again?

Also, from all the crap that it's gotten on their podcasts, I was expecting a much lower score for SSBB (though the letter grades do make scores seem higher)

See if they said a stunning action/RACING game, I would be more excited.
I havent seen anything from sce liverpool that would lead me to believe they could pull off straight up action (in the traditional sense).

Can't wait to see Infamous!

J-Rzez

Spoit said:
Uh...What's infamous again?

Assumed sandbox game where you choose to use your special powers for good or evil. Made by Sucker Punch.

The SOCOM article was fantastic. I know everyone's hyped for R2, but damn, SOCOM Conf may run away with online MP of the year.

Shoho

Banned
Barakov said:
Well The Protector was the name of a Jackie Chan movie. Although that probably doesn't answer your question.

Its also the international name for the film Tom-Yum Goong, which is the second movie to feature Thai sensation Tony Jaa.

_11535156854972.jpg

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=tom+yum+goong&search_type=

check this movie out. Seriously hardcore. Tony Jaa has become the next martial arts megastar. he is the biggest thing that happened to thailands movie industry in like forever. One of his trademarks is that he does it all for real... he seriously hurts the stuntmen... its why it looks so authentic on film. it is authentic. he beats the living shit out of everybody.

so damn glorious.

J-Rzez said:
Assumed sandbox game where you choose to use your special powers for good or evil. Made by Sucker Punch.

The SOCOM article was fantastic. I know everyone's hyped for R2, but damn, SOCOM Conf may run away with online MP of the year.

GTA4 might be taking that crown. That, or COD4 :)

I'm one of those 10 year subscription guys and I still haven't received by copy yet? Granted I always get it last(maybe because I'm a East Coaster) but I'm getting a bit worried now. I don't remember when I signed up but I'm sure it hasn't been 10 years yet.

karasu

Why is everyone so pumped for Infamous? Have they released anything other than that single trailer that was shown all of those months ago?

Top Bottom